Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Have the Colts EVER beaten the Steelers?

Just now, Four2itus said:

Not in my world. They beat the Colts in 69 in a game that still creates questions....and elevated Namath to the HOF (So many QB's should be there instead of him). But more painfully, they delivered a 41-0 beat down to the Colts in the playoffs in 2003 that was the hardest game I have ever watched as a Colt fan. 

Not the 62-7 Saints loss?? Not the 44-17 Jaguars loss??

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Not the 62-7 Saints loss?? Not the 44-17 Jaguars loss??

With Curtis Painter at the helm? Lol.

..and how would a 44-17 loss hurt worse than a 41-0. Zero, dude. Not even enough offense to reach the other side of the field far enough for a FG. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

With Curtis Painter at the helm? Lol.

..and how would a 44-17 loss hurt worse than a 41-0. Zero, dude. Not even enough offense to reach the other side of the field far enough for a FG. 

Granted, both the above examples were regular season games, I will give you that.

To me, close playoff losses hurt more than blowout losses. The 17-23 loss to Chargers and 24-28 loss to Billy Volek in the playoffs hurt more than the 0-41 playoff loss. That is why Chargers are higher to me. But then, I was not around for the Joe Namath game, so might be a push in your world. :) 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chad72 said:

To me, close playoff losses hurt more than blowout losses. The 17-23 loss to Chargers and 24-28 loss to Billy Volek in the playoffs hurt more than the 0-41 playoff loss. That is why Chargers are higher to me.

Ya, I can agree with that. :thmup:

On 6/23/2020 at 8:17 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still can't believe Coryatt didn't pick that pass off, that was ball game right there in 95.

He would have if the Pitt WR didn't knocked it out of his hands.. 35 second mark of this clip.

If Warren could have been a little faster or a little taller to stretch for the first down on 3rd and 1 the Coryatt play wouldn't have mattered. Watching those highlights, actually LOWlights, bring back some painful memories. 

Colts beat the Steelers, 1968 (a blowout),1971,1984(a shocker), 2005(Prime Time),2008, I might be missing one from the 70's...the only two super bowls the Steelers, have won the last thirty years,  were the years they lost to the Colts 2005 & 2008. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, horseshoepower said:

Colts beat the Steelers, 1968 (a blowout),1971,1984(a shocker), 2005(Prime Time),2008, I might be missing one from the 70's...the only two super bowls the Steelers, have won the last thirty years,  were the years they lost to the Colts 2005 & 2008. 

Good call. I remember that 1984 game. Mike Pagel threw a 60 yard pass to Ray Butler to win it at the end. The only great moment of the 1984 season lmao 

On 6/23/2020 at 11:48 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My rankings are this is going by since 1984:

Enemy #1 - Patriots = an easy #1. They were in our division in the AFC East for years, It goes way back. Then the Peyton vs Brady battles. They prevented us from going to the SB in 2003, 2004, and 2014. In 2014, Luck would've been there had it not been for them.

Enemy #2 - Steelers = an easy #2. They prevented us from going to the SB in 1995 and 2005.

Enemy #3 - Texans = #3. I just listed them because they have won our division the last 4 out 5 years = 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019. We have basically own the Titans so until they build up a resume of 5 years of being good like the Texans have, they are MEH to me. Any team can have 1 fluke season like the Jags did in 2017. The Jags are usually the doormat of the division regarding our division.

If you took the Patriots and Steelers out of the equation, we may have won 6 SB's or at least made the SB in reality = 1995, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and even 2014. 

Add the charfers for 07 and 08

We beat them once every half century it seems. We have the same convo every few years when we play them.

I think the only times we've beat them it's been a leap year that has double the amount of full moons than normal.. Lol

On 6/23/2020 at 1:14 PM, Nadine said:

you are my people :hug:

The family has had a hard time accepting our new qb due to the charger history.

We're getting there

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. 

Rivers will lay waste to the hapless chargers.

That is guaranteed 

• Like 1
On 6/26/2020 at 12:24 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good call. I remember that 1984 game. Mike Pagel threw a 60 yard pass to Ray Butler to win it at the end. The only great moment of the 1984 season lmao 

My family was at that game.  We won the ticket lottery and had seats upper deck endzone first row.  Pagel's pass should have been picked but Ray Butler caught it in stride and cruised to the endzone.  That was called the Serendipity play by the coach.  lol

• Like 1
On 6/23/2020 at 10:47 AM, coltsfansince65 said:

........I know we have but.......In 31 games (regular season & post season) we are 25-6.  Is this the team we have the worst record against?

I have been watching random games on youtube just to past the time & the Steeler games are depressing.

Bert Jones was a great QB but didn't play well against the Steelers. A crucial INT here & killer penalty on the 3 yard line

driving for what would have been a winning score were just a couple of the ones I remember. I'm looking for the time 

when we can run off several victories versus the Steelers.

Just ranting, don't mind the old man here........

25-6 is a great record in any sport. Conversely, 6-25 is quite poor.

The Steelers have pretty much owned us which is dissapointing.

The Harbaugh to Aaron Bailey Hail Mary that rolled of Bailey's stomach and Coryatt missed interception which would have won the game, That was rough, great game in a losing effort.

Nick Harper, not taking the fumble return to outside so Roethlisberger would not have been able to catch was another tough loss.

Last years regular season loss hurt to and had big time negative playoff implications for us.  The planets was aligned for us to win and we still loss.  Roethlisberger was out.  Vinatieri missed a 43 yard FB at the end of the game which would have won it for us to add to his nightmare season. Rigo had the football laces facing toward him which is bad but the replay show he Vinny chili dipped, kicked grass before hitting the football and missed badly, was not even close.  The game showed on replay this week.

Here is an other what if.  Paris Campbell caught a pass on the left flat, had running room, looked like he probably would have scored, but he got tripped on his own feet and went down inside the Pittsburgh 10, he had a blocker on the defender in front of him so I think he had a good chance to score a TD.  Anyway, on the next play or 2, Q Nelson was blocked back in Jacoby Brissett and that is when he injured his knee which also affect the his play and season.  If Campbell had scored, Brissett would not have gotten hurt a couple plays later and who knows.  

We did beat the Steelers in the regular season in about the 1977 season, after 2 playoff losses to the Steelers in 1975 and 1976,  I remember a comment by Left OT David Taylor who finally held his own aganst DE Dwight White, who nasty a football player but a showed to be a decent man off the field.  Anyway Taylor said he did not let White's intimidation tactics get to him (poking at eyes). 

Something positive about Dwight White, I remember when Rocky Bleier made his comeback in uniform.  the whole Steeler team came out first and was on sidelines and then Rocky Bleier was introduce last as the Vietnam veteran making his return debut.  Dwight White was the first or one of the first Steeler to run to the tunnel to great him at the end zone as he came out of the tunnel, nice showing.

I remember we beat the Steelers in a regular season game in the Peyton Manning era.  Our safety Melvin B, (sp) made a big defensive play at the end of the game to prevent the Steeler comeback.