Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think Rivers will have a good year, I love the signing. He just fits this team perfectly scheme wise. He is familiar with the coaches and has a great O.Line. I hope our WR's especially TY can stay healthy, that is a must.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honesty can't say I've intently watched rivers every play in every game over the years. But I would say he's better at pre snap reads which of course helps him being better at quick post snap rea

The poster didn't give you an answer you asked as of 4 days later, but I share the same sentiment of not being a fan of Luck and I'll tell you why.   1.) The early retirement: It wasn't just

Not sure why this thread is even relevant?  Andrew is gone, history,  He left on his terms, I respect that, although the timing was a little messy.  I enjoyed watching him play, and cursed him at time

Getting back to the OP's comment, I think he makes a valid point.  Rivers has a quicker throwing motion and probably makes his decisions quicker (maybe leading to more 50/50 balls too).  In that sense, he's better suited to a quick short passing game than Luck probably was, and, I think Rivers accuracy is more in the short game than the long ball, where Luck has the clear advantage.

In that sense I agree, if ages of the QBs were the same, I'd prefer Luck in an Arians/Chud offense and Rivers in a Reich or even McDaniels offense.  Not saying which is better.  I just think their skills makes them better fits for different offenses.

Even though Luck could run, he really never did run a read option very much.  Most of his runs were traditional scrambles out of a broken play.

On 6/23/2020 at 7:59 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He was mine too but mainly because he is 8 years younger than Rivers. Rivers was my 2nd choice.

Having watched every snap of Rivers NFL career he’s better than Carr.  Rivers is older granted but he’s basically like having a coach at QB.  Similar to Manning in that way.  I think Gruden also would rather have Rivers over Carr.

Luck was such a stud and incredible athlete - very different player than Rivers.  But I think Rivers has a lot left in the tank and he’s never, ever had a good O- line.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Regarding the bolded.

If we compare 2018 stats.

Danger plays - Luck #7 vs Rivers #12

Interceptable passes - Luck #3 vs Rivers #10

Money throws - Luck #20 vs Rivers #10

True completion rate - Luck #11 vs Rivers #10

Accuracy rating - Luck #10 vs Rivers #4

In short, let's hope we see the 2018 Rivers. If so, he was more accurate, less risky, and threw better balls than Luck.

Luck was coming into the season coming off a scary shoulder injury that could've easily ended his career. He came in and had to learn a completely different offense under a new head coach. He was surrounded by a ton of new faces (Many of them were rookies, two in which started on the offensive line, and another being Mark Glowinski) while Anthony Castonzo missed the first 5-6 games of the season. Luck was throwing to guys like Chester Rogers and Ryan Grant. He had to adjust to new faces like Ebron and Mack as well. The defense was young and inexperienced which didn't help. Andrew Luck never had consistency and anywhere near the talent Rivers had during a majority of his career. 

This 2020 Colts roster is the most talented roster they had since the 2006-2009 Colts. If Andrew Luck didn't retire and had the chance to play on this roster while Rivers stayed with the Chargers through this season, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Stats are so misleading. Look how many times guys dropped wide open passes on Luck that year. No one has done more with less than Andrew Luck and it's a shame people look past it because of the disastrous rosters he's been dealt with. 

• Like 1
On 6/22/2020 at 9:23 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Honesty can't say I've intently watched rivers every play in every game over the years.

But I would say he's better at pre snap reads which of course helps him being better at quick post snap reads. One of the reasons Luck held ball long was his lack of pre snap/quick post snap reads compared to the more dedicated and more prepared qb's.

And of course there's the Availability Factor, Rivers has NEVER missed a game due to injury while Luck was injury prone and then Retired roughly a decade before other QB's putting the Franchise in a bind.

Put Rivers on the 2012-2016 Colts rosters and I guarantee you he wouldn't make it to 2020 without missing a game. 

9 minutes ago, Legend_Coslosky said:

Put Rivers on the 2012-2016 Colts rosters and I guarantee you he wouldn't make it to 2020 without missing a game. 

Yeah Luck was a machine from 2012-2014 that is for sure. Dude could take a beating and just laugh it off.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Luck was a machine from 2012-2014 that is for sure. Dude could take a beating and just laugh it off.

He took a beating and never once complained and kept putting the team on his back and winning a ton of games we should've lost. It's a shame Luck carrying the franchise while getting murdered every week was also the reason guys like Grigson and Pagano got to stick around as long as they did. Such a shame the way his career turned out. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Legend_Coslosky said:

He took a beating and never once complained and kept putting the team on his back and winning a ton of games we should've lost. It's a shame Luck carrying the franchise while getting murdered every week was also the reason guys like Grigson and Pagano got to stick around as long as they did. Such a shame the way his career turned out. 

Perhaps he should have.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Luck was a machine from 2012-2014 that is for sure. Dude could take a beating and just laugh 

Couple things here and I’m pretty new here but Rivers has never in his career had a good line.  And while Luck is a better athlete and I’m sure his line your talking about was atrocious - take a look at the 2019 Chargers line.  He literally didn’t have a left or right tackle and the rest were horrible not to mention 3rd center.  Rivers has a very quick release and the only reason he’s alive and playing.  On the Chargers forum people openly agree Rivers left because of the talent on the o-line.  People are * because the staff never was able to adequately evaluate o-lineman.  And after 16 seasons of this the GM should know by now Rivers isn’t a running QB.  

6 minutes ago, Beardog said:

Couple things here and I’m pretty new here but Rivers has never in his career had a good line.  And while Luck is a better athlete and I’m sure his line your talking about was atrocious - take a look at the 2019 Chargers line.  He literally didn’t have a left or right tackle and the rest were horrible not to mention 3rd center.  Rivers has a very quick release and the only reason he’s alive and playing.  On the Chargers forum people openly agree Rivers left because of the talent on the o-line.  People are * because the staff never was able to adequately evaluate o-lineman.  And after 16 seasons of this the GM should know by now Rivers isn’t a running QB.  

Yep.  Rivers never missed a game because of his talents.....its simply too easy to blame someone else's shortcomings.  If he had a bad line, and he did, apparently he was able to adjust for it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Beardog said:

Oh I love the signing of Rivers. I was either wanting him or Carr. Carr because of his age, we would've had to trade for Carr though so rolling with Rivers looks to be a good idea. Rivers is familiar with the coaching staff too. I am one that thinks Rivers still has 1 or 2 good years left, some don't think so. Rivers is definitely an upgrade over Brissett. Brissett did play above average football for the 1st 7 games last season but he just fell apart after that. Brissett had some real stinkers during the final half of the season. Rivers may not be great anymore or even very good but I expect good. Good may good enough to go deep in the playoffs with the O.Line and run game we have.

IMO Rivers has had a Hall of Fame career. 224 straight games started, 123-101 record, an AFC Title Game appearance, and he will surpass the 60,000 passing yard total this year. I wouldn't say as of now he is 1st ballot like Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, or Brees will be but I can see 2nd ballot. He, Ben, and Eli may all be 2nd ballot which makes sense. 

• Like 1

Not sure why this thread is even relevant?  Andrew is gone, history,  He left on his terms, I respect that, although the timing was a little messy.  I enjoyed watching him play, and cursed him at times, but he was our QB.  We got a new sheriff in town that I think is going to push us over the top.  Why not  stop the comparison with Luck and get behind our new QB?  Andrew isn't coming back, for god sakes, move on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, ojsglove said:

Not sure why this thread is even relevant?  Andrew is gone, history,  He left on his terms, I respect that, although the timing was a little messy.  I enjoyed watching him play, and cursed him at times, but he was our QB.  We got a new sheriff in town that I think is going to push us over the top.  Why not  stop the comparison with Luck and get behind our new QB?  Andrew isn't coming back, for god sakes, move on.

No harm in people wondering what could have been.   I think the current team is as solid as I've seen it in many years.  It's natural for fans to wonder what could have been if Luck didn't retire and played the prime of his career with a solid team.  

• Like 2

This thread is interesting to me, because I've thought a lot about Philip signing here after what happened to Luck, with Philip being given so much better a situation than what he "escaped", only at the expense of the same good situation having been taken away from Luck.

It reminds me of what Wind In His Hair said to Dunbar about his best friend's death in Dances With Wolves. He told him that he believed that his best friend "went away" (died) because Dunbar was coming, and that that was how he saw it. He was just then coming to terms with the loss of his friend, and the "replacement" in Dunbar. Someone he didn't like at first, probably resented based on that admission, but by the end of their time together had come to love as a brother and friend.

And this situation is very much like that one. The hope, of course, is that it ends (whenever that ends up being) with similar good feelings and memories for all involved here, as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Rivers wasn't as bad as his last season might look. He's not mobile.  At all. Had a great game the one time he had a functional left tackle  (Okung) against Green Bay.     The rest of the season he didn't have a left tackle or a right tackle who could pass protect.  Watch some highlights of last years Raider game if you want any indication.  Line last year was horrid.  The project left tackle rookie (Trey Pipkins) couldn't block anyone.  The right tackle (Trent Scott) couldn't block anyone and then the center got hurt.  He still managed to make games competitive and avoided another 20 sacks.  He gets the ball out quick.  He makes scrub receivers better.  For years the third receiver on the Chargers were waiver wire guys or free agents. Then that guy would get hurt and the next guy would come in and he'd make them serviceable.   To those who say he's not a hall of famer, well going against Von Miller or Khalil Mack every week without someone to block him makes it hard to be accurate.  He'll be healthier this year by not taking as much of a beating.   Your running backs will look great out of the backfield.  You'll be in the playoffs.