Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts should never let Nelson or Leonard leave


Recommended Posts

Gil Brandt wrote a piece for NFL.com about 12 players whose teams should never let them leave to play for another team.

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/twelve-players-whose-teams-should-never-let-them-leave

 

Some obvious names like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Donald, and Saquon Barkley.  Steelers had two defenders in TJ Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick.  Colts had two players in Nelson and Leonard.  :rock:

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Gil Brandt wrote a piece for NFL.com about 12 players whose teams should never let them leave to play for another team.

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/twelve-players-whose-teams-should-never-let-them-leave

 

Some obvious names like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Donald, and Saquon Barkley.  Steelers had two defenders in TJ Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick.  Colts had two players in Nelson and Leonard.  :rock:

Agreed. Nelson, Leonard, and I would argue Buckner now, are the heart of the team. I would keep them until the end of their careers.

 

Luckily, we have a lot of average to above-average players to go with those 3 that this team is just loaded and will be for the forseeable future.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Never is a long time.  

Barkley sure is questionable.   Keeping a RB for their entire career doesn't make sense most times.  The good ones typically hold out for a big contract.    They typically lose a step as the reach 30.  They can be replaced with a rookie or 2nd year RB and not lose a whole lot of production.  Injuries play a factor.   Barkley missed 3 games last season.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd like to keep your stars, however doesn't always work that way. You've seen guys like Mack, Cooper go elsewhere. Adams wants to be traded. Even Gurley got moved after getting paid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

Love Manning but timing was right for him to go

 

Not arguing that but that is why I didn't want to endorse "Never". :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. Nelson, Leonard, and I would argue Buckner now, are the heart of the team. I would keep them until the end of their careers.

 

Luckily, we have a lot of average to above-average players to go with those 3 that this team is just loaded and will be for the forseeable future.

 

Yeah we have another core group of young guys like Okereke, Turay, Walker, Rock, Moore, Braden Smith, Ryan Kelly, and Khari Willis, along with our talented rookies we just brought in. And Campbell could possibly show out this year also. 

 

Future it bright!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Gil Brandt wrote a piece for NFL.com about 12 players whose teams should never let them leave to play for another team.

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/twelve-players-whose-teams-should-never-let-them-leave

 

Some obvious names like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Donald, and Saquon Barkley.  Steelers had two defenders in TJ Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick.  Colts had two players in Nelson and Leonard.  :rock:

We won't be able to keep everybody....bye bye Leonard.

  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

We won't be able to keep everybody....bye bye Leonard.


Ballard is smart with the cap and will do everything in his power to keep his core players. That includes Leonard. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BProland85 said:


Ballard is smart with the cap and will do everything in his power to keep his core players. That includes Leonard. 

It doesn't matter how smart u r. Eventually, u will have to let players walk. It's the nature of the game. U can't pay everyone. In 2 years or sooner, our 2 highest players will b a guard and WLB. Most likely highest paid at their position  if thry decide to sign both.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't agree with saying 'never'.

Every player ends their career so never is not the right word to use.

Besides, let's enjoy those guys being here and not worry about the end of their careers or if they are going to be here their whole careers.

 

IMO opinion we have some pretty positive things to look forward to and I'm not even thinking about down the road. What the future brings none of us knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love watching Leonard and Nelson, I really do not want them to leave.

 

Would also be sad to see TY go if he balls out this year with Rivers (pending actually HAVING a season)

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BProland85 said:


Ballard is smart with the cap and will do everything in his power to keep his core players. That includes Leonard. 


It’s like the Seahawks giving key members of their D one very good post-rookie first big contract. The issues happen when they’re due a second big contract and are closer to being past their prime closer to the age of 30. Five year contracts become 2 or 3 year ones at that point in time to protect the team and you need to have their replacement drafted and ready at least by the time their first post-rookie contract is done.

 

Thats why I won’t rule ourselves drafting a speedster like TY next year. OL and QB positions can go longer with a longer second post-rookie contract more than other positions, IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the NFL it seems like the magical age to become expendable is 30 unless you are a QB. QB's now days can play until they are 40 if no major injuries occur. Luckily Nelson and Leonard are still very young. Buckner is only 26 as well so that is great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 8:03 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

It doesn't matter how smart u r. Eventually, u will have to let players walk. It's the nature of the game. U can't pay everyone. In 2 years or sooner, our 2 highest players will b a guard and WLB. Most likely highest paid at their position  if thry decide to sign both.

I think Nelson is a certain signing.    Leonard is close to that too.   He's proven his talent on the filed.  He's taken steps to be the leader on the defense.   I expect him to make a big step this season at being the QB of the defense on the field.  That will provide more worth for him.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...