Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian on the 2011 season

CR91

8 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Ballard > Grigson > Polian

This violates the forum rules against posting nonsense!  

just kidding of course. You’re entitled to your opinion and I agree that grigson is chided more than he deserves but polian is the lead dog.  Ballard May take over some day but that day is far off.  Grigson was gm of the year but he won’t be in the hall.  

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Bill Polian, he is the best GM we have ever had IMO. Until Ballard wins a SB it will remain that way. Yeah he had arguably the GOAT at QB but he was also responsible (along with Irsay) for drafting Peyton. People need to remember Ryan Leaf was considered until Polian interviewed both he and Peyton. Polian is 100% responsible for drafting guys like Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, and signing Adam Vinatieri. The only thing that still ticks me off about Polian was, he gave up on the perfect season in 2009 when we were 14-0. It was his call, Irsay could've over rode him but did not and let Polian make the call. Caldwell and Peyton went along with it because it is called chain of command after Irsay. Polian screwed the players and fans on that one at a chance to make history.

My rankings GM wise since the Polian era:

1. Bill Polian

2. Chris Ballard - so far better than Grigson regarding his Drafts and Free Agency, Grigson had Luck in his back pocket from 2012-2014 so of course Grigson has the better win/loss record.

3. Ryan Grigson - the combination of his draft picking and Free Agency pickup's from 2013-2016 ruined Andrew Luck's career. Nobody will convince me otherwise. 

No way Peyton went with quitting on the perfect season. He was fuming. I really considered packing it in that night. Lucky I calmed down.

13 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

No way Peyton went with quitting on the perfect season. He was fuming. I really considered packing it in that night. Lucky I calmed down.

Peyton hated it but went with it because Polian made the call. I was so upset that night I as well almost stop watching. That was such a great season and to lose the SB on top of it really irked me. 

12 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Grigson was handed a huge plate of Dog Doo Doo by Polian in 2012. Nobody would have fixed the roster with that pile of horse apples.

Just look at Polian's drafts from 2007-2011 sometime.

Grigson was handed Andrew Luck and screwed that up so bad that he retired before he was 30

42 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Grigson was handed Andrew Luck and screwed that up so bad that he retired before he was 30

With Andrew Luck you were assured a winning season when he played all 16 games or 15:

2012 = 11-5

2013 = 11-5

2014 = 11-5

2016 = 8-7 (played 15 games)

-Grigson had a guy at QB that could carry a team, Ballard has had that 1 year in 2018 with Luck and went 10-6.

On 6/18/2020 at 8:18 PM, Nesjan3 said:

Yea as posted above Mr Polian and his son had a disastrous run there that doesn't get talked about enough. Without Manning on the team we certainly looked like a team void of talent. I always believed we never sucked for luck we just really sucked without PM. Polian should have been fired years before.

Like all the greats teams, those Colts teams were centered on Peyton's strengths.  And he made everyone better.  Remove Peyton, your offense is completely wrong for another QB to run and teammates would perform at a lower level.

On 6/19/2020 at 2:30 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Polian took a long ride on Peyton Manning's back.

Unlike that Belichick guy...  O.o

On 6/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, GoColts8818 said:

Yep even helped him in Buffalo and Carolina too...

Yes, Bill says look at my record-

(16 seasons out of 23 in the playoffs, 1 SB win, 4 losses)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/PoliBi0.htm

Bill always would try to make the best decisions for the team (not what would allow him to keep his job) as he learned that from Marv Levy.  But those latter year drafts really call into question not only Bill and Chris Polian's drafting evaluations, but those of the coaches and scouts too.

(Chris Polian became VP/GM in 2010.  Bill was President in 2010, and Vice Chairman in 2011)

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yet that Belichick guy kept winning games when Brady was out. His teams had more talent across the board rather than two or three great skill players. When Belichick did have a skill player like Randy Moss it was record breaking. Later Belichick drafted Gronkowski. and we seen what happened.

IMO Belichick is still going to win a lot of games without Brady.

47 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Like all the greats teams, those Colts teams were centered on Peyton's strengths.  And he made everyone better.  Remove Peyton, your offense is completely wrong for another QB to run and teammates would perform at a lower level.

Yes, Bill says look at my record-

(16 seasons out of 23 in the playoffs, 1 SB win, 4 losses)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/PoliBi0.htm

Bill always would try to make the best decisions for the team (not what would allow him to keep his job) as he learned that from Marv Levy.  But those latter year drafts really call into question not only Bill and Chris Polian's drafting evaluations, but those of the coaches and scouts too.

(Chris Polian became VP/GM in 2010.  Bill was President in 2010, and Vice Chairman in 2011)

I don’t think there is any denying putting his son in charge was a mistake.  However that doesn’t undo everything he did to that point.  It was time to make a change in 2011 and Irsay made the right call to make a change.  He just made the wrong call on who to hire to replace him.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:34 PM, dw49 said:

Problem was the nepotism .

Yep. Polian was fine until he started delegating decision making to his kid in the draft

(see the Ugoh debacle, etc.) with the intention of handing him the reins when Bill

walked away.

Irsay eventually saw that Brian P. was in over his head and pulled the plug.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think there is any denying putting his son in charge was a mistake.  However that doesn’t undo everything he did to that point.  

My feeling it was transitioning a few years before it became 'official'.

It was time to make a change in 2011 and Irsay made the right call to make a change.  He just made the wrong call on who to hire to replace him.

Agreed, and the last and worst offense? Having no veteran QB backup for Peyton {who they knew was having spine surgery} ; a situation Chris Ballard is receiving so much flack for actually doing for Rivers (keeping J. Brissett, at least for now).

59 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Agreed, and the last and worst offense? Having no veteran QB backup for Peyton {who they knew was having spine surgery} ; a situation Chris Ballard is receiving so much flack for actually doing (keeping J. Brissett, at least for now).

Imagine having Jim Sorgi in 2011...

3 hours ago, indykmj said:

Yep. Polian was fine until he started delegating decision making to his kid in the draft

(see the Ugoh debacle, etc.) with the intention of handing him the reins when Bill

walked away.

Irsay eventually saw that Brian P. was in over his head and pulled the plug.

Did Brian ever work for the Colts ? Chris was promoted to GM in 2009 and I'm thinking he was the problem. I never heard that another son of Bill's was messing up the team . But maybe I'm wrong ?

7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Did Brian ever work for the Colts ? Chris was promoted to GM in 2009 and I'm thinking he was the problem. I never heard that another son of Bill's was messing up the team . But maybe I'm wrong ?

I don't think so. Dennis Polian was with the Vikings, Brian coached on college teams at

Michigan State, Buffalo, Baylor, UCF, Stanford, Texas A&M, Nevada, and Notre Dame .

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Agreed, and the last and worst offense? Having no veteran QB backup for Peyton {who they knew was having spine surgery} ; a situation Chris Ballard is receiving so much flack for actually doing for Rivers (keeping J. Brissett, at least for now).

That’s why I think that’s an Irsay call in part.  I think he refused to let the team be put in that position again.  

Archived