Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor Interview - Sounds like a really great young man

Smonroe

Forgive me if this has already been posted.

I was really impressed by this young man.  He's going to be a great player and I think he's going to be one of the faces of the franchise in the future.

I love the quote - "You don't count your reps, you make your reps count"

https://www.colts.com/news/jonathan-taylor-wisconsin-running-back-marlon-mack-media-conference-call

I know we're firmly into pre-season preaching/coach speak/training camp titillation but it is reassuring to see him saying all the right things. 

Would you actually want to be a "bell cow" in nowadays? We've seen the massive drop off from backs who have had heavy reps in a season. Is it better to perhaps have slightly less money each year but have a longer career?

6 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I know we're firmly into pre-season preaching/coach speak/training camp titillation but it is reassuring to see him saying all the right things. 

Would you actually want to be a "bell cow" in nowadays? We've seen the massive drop off from backs who have had heavy reps in a season. Is it better to perhaps have slightly less money each year but have a longer career?

$14 mil. per year for a second contract lasting 4 years would be similar to $6 or $7 mil. per year over 2 contracts over 8 years.

So, even if the longevity is low, since RBs just typically get 1 big contract after their rookie contract, unlike QBs and WRs on the offensive side, the answer is "no", IMO, since nothing is guaranteed past that 1st post-rookie contract typically for RBs.

1 hour ago, shakedownstreet said:

I wonder what Kenton Keith is up to these days

I had to look him up.   Somehow I don't remember him.    He had a decent season with the Colts for a backup.   Only 1 NFL season.   He was already 27 when he made his debut in the NFL.  

Early years[edit]

Keith played high school football at Omaha Benson High School, averaging better than 28 yards per carry as a junior and better than 18 yards per carry as a senior. Keith will be inducted into his high schools Hall of Fame soon for breaking the rushing title in only two years of playing.

College career[edit]

Kenton then attended New Mexico State University rushing for 2,134 yards over four seasons. Keith also led the nation in yards per carry his Junior year with an 8.5-yard average

Professional career[edit]

Saskatchewan Roughriders[edit]

Keith signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2001. In four CFL seasons, he ran for more than 3,800 yards, topped 1,000 yards twice, caught 52 passes and had eight TD receptions in 2003. Keith's best CFL season came in 2004, when he gained 1,154 yards in 14 games—a number which approaches the 1,500-yard plateau over a full 18-game schedule. If you calculate his yardage from 2003 and 2005 in the same manner, neither total falls under 1,200. In the spring of 2004, he signed with New York Jets then returned to the CFL where he was a West Division All-Star in 2006.

Indianapolis Colts[edit]

Keith signed with the Indianapolis Colts in early 2007.[1] He was a second string running back for the Indianapolis in 2007, backing up feature back Joseph Addai. Keith had his first 100-yard rushing game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a 33-17 win with the Colts. Keith ran for 533 yards and scored four touchdowns as Joseph Addai's backup with the Colts last season.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats[edit]

Keith was signed by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on September 22, 2008.[2] Suffered an injury to his LCL and was released.

Omaha Nighthawks[edit]

Keith was signed by the Omaha Nighthawks on June 10, 2011. This was the Lock-Out year in the NFL, then the NightHawks folded.

Personal[edit]

Kenton's father Percy Keith played collegiately at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (1976–1980), and briefly in the NFL. Keith is also a cousin of former NFL running back Roger Craig

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

It's not slightly less money though. Look at Mark Ingram...he's had to grind into his 30s to make what Zeke will make in a couple of prime seasons after getting his big deal.

I don't think a lower price tag makes you less disposable. Who honestly wants to sign Jordan Howard...or a Jay Ajayi (if he could still play). If anything...it makes you even less desirable over a draft pick.

I think Drake will be an interesting case. He is actually one of the better RBs in the NFL (he's just been on really bad teams)...but he doesn't have that bellcow perception...or proven track record. But he's also better/more valuable than than the next tier of guys like Coleman (or yes...even a Marlon Mack)...so he should get paid more. He's exactly the type of guy you are referring to...but what does type of contract look like? Right now...we really don't know. 

My take...I think we will see more RB duos...as part of an effort to reset the market on RBs. We saw this play out somewhat in this past draft. 

Archived