Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers wants to be a Colt for "a few more" years

I think Rivers is more than capable of playing 3-5 more years. Will he, idk? See what 2020 looks like and go from there.

• Like 4

Personally, I thought his arm looked pretty up and down last season. In the style of offense we run though, and considering his competitiveness, I could see him playing for 2-3 more years. Then again I could also see the opposite.

Let’s see how well he does this year.  We may not want him back. Chargers let him walk without a replacement. He could be fading but sometimes a change of scenery can rejuvenate a career.  This has been a crazy offseason.  Every step of the way I’ve tried not to speculate what we will do this year.  So many questions I’m really looking forward to answering!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we make the playoffs he will probably stay. If we win the superbowl 50/50 he might just retire and call it good or maybe he will go for a repeat. If we miss the playoffs he retires.

• Like 1

If he balls out, he has a chance at being a Colt in 2021 

if he fails, it’s time to see what Eason/Kelly have

If he is just above avg and Eason develops quicker than thought and he wants bigger dollars, Eason (maybe Kelly) gets the nod 

if the team gets a SB win, I’d agree with the above poster, he calls it a career and we see the next guy up regardless of fully ready or not. A SB buys a team a couple years of development of players. 

On 6/13/2020 at 9:41 PM, DontEverGiveUp said:

The divorce of the Chargers and Rivers had multiple layers.  It was not simply a case of "He's not good anymore, so we're moving on".

The LA move, Lynn's philosophy, and Rivers' growing frustration with management (ignoring the OL disaster for over a decade) all played a part in what was described by both parties as a mutual decision.

I fully expect Rivers to "rejuvenate" his career in Indy, and I think many Colts fans will end up loving the guy.

DJ Fluker was a big issue. He wanted to be a stay at home mom.

(for those who don't know, I'm exaggerating but not exactly joking - that's how bad he was)

• Haha 1

It will be evident very soon...... I’m excited for the season

I hope for the best.

I initially wasn’t excited about the decision, but if 2018 Rivers is the guy that shows up this team can compete for a deep playoff run.

Its very tough to stop a balanced offense with an accurate QB.....

Lets hope he finds the fountain of youth in Indy

• Like 1

I just pray he does what Peyton did for the Broncos. Put them deep in the playoffs and to the Super Bowl twice, albeit I think their D was better, but I think our Offense will be better than theirs was so who knows. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I just pray he does what Peyton did for the Broncos. Put them deep in the playoffs and to the Super Bowl twice, albeit I think their D was better, but I think our Offense will be better than theirs was so who knows. 

The 2013 Broncos had the best offense in history

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Peyton opened his first Broncos season with 462 yards and 7 TDS against the defending champs Baltimore.  46 fantasy points in regular scoring. He went on to win the fantasy crown. I remember kicking myself for not drafting him. Maybe Rivers will do something similar. He certainly seems reinvigorated in his interviews. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, life long said:

The 2013 Broncos had the best offense in history

It was a crazy year for that O, no doubt..... the most insane part of thgat year though, is that the Bears were the second best Offense....a full 10 ppg worse than the Broncos

18 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Peyton opened his first Broncos season with 462 yards and 7 TDS against the defending champs Baltimore.  46 fantasy points in regular scoring. He went on to win the fantasy crown. I remember kicking myself for not drafting him. Maybe Rivers will do something similar. He certainly seems reinvigorated in his interviews. 

It was his second Broncos season. He opened his first Broncos season vs the Steelers. Second season, went to the SB. That is why I feel Brady will be more successful in his 2nd season with the Bucs similarly.

The second season typically ends up being good when people change teams. LeBron, first season with Miami, loses in the Finals to Mavericks. Second season, wins it all. First season back with Cleveland, loses in the Finals to Warriors. Second season, wins it all. Now, it is his second full season with the Lakers, we will see how it goes.

Just an observation.

Along those lines, Rivers probably wins the division this season, and maybe next season, we go to the big dance???

• Like 1

Good point Chad72 and thanks for correcting my memory on Peyton. 

Rivers could be different though because he already knows Colts offense like the back of his hand.  And as Reich said, he is a savant when it comes to football.  Only thing that could hold him back is limited time with receivers due to COVID. 

8 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Only thing that could hold him back is limited time with receivers due to COVID. 

That is where I think an offense that’s simpler in concept like the Ravens or even Chiefs that have high continuity could win over the Colts early on.

However, as the year goes on, timing and rhythm offenses will start doing better and historically, Rivers gets better in November and December. So there’s always one wildcard that exceeds expectations and makes it to the conference championship game. Hope that’s us this season.

On 6/13/2020 at 2:33 PM, Dogg63 said:

I read the transcript of Philip's (and Frank's) Zoom meeting with season ticket holders this past Wednesday evening. During the call, he said, "...I've always had a love for Indy from afar in a weird way, and it's ironic that it's ended up here in now my 17th season, and hopefully a few more that I'm gonna be a Colt."

He's apparently changed his mind on playing a max of 2 more years in the NFL, as he was quoted as saying as recently as February of this year.

Interesting...I hope he kicks butt and continues kicking butt for 3 SB wins in a row. :yahoo:

Hmm...I think the Colts are better for Phillip Rivers than Rivers is for the Colts.  Let’s just slow our roll and see how this season plays out first before advocating for this guy to be here for multiple seasons.  If he sucks we will be thankful it’s just a one year deal.  

On 6/15/2020 at 8:10 AM, chad72 said:

It was his second Broncos season. He opened his first Broncos season vs the Steelers. Second season, went to the SB.

That is true.

Manning did have a good first season with Denver though.   

68.6 completion %

4659 yards

37 TD's

11 INT's

105.8 rating

45 minutes ago, Myles said:

That is true.

Manning did have a good first season with Denver though.   

68.6 completion %

4659 yards

37 TD's

11 INT's

105.8 rating

First season of Peyton in 2012, if not for that Flacco Hail Mary, I believe the Broncos would have made more noise. Funny thing was, Colts beat both SB reps, Seahawks and Broncos in the next 2013 season. 

• Like 1