Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The time Nelson yelled at Ballard

4 hours ago, w87r said:

Cut It Out Football GIF by Indianapolis Colts

"We're playing Chris Jones, I'm lining up against a 230lb end. How am I going to get better "

Gotta love this guy.

Ha ha, yeah, when I first read that I got the image in my head of Sean Astin as Rudy getting steamrolled in that practice scene by the pulling lineman. The only thing that would have made Nelson's line funnier is if he'd have said, "We're playing Chris Jones, I'm lining up against freakin' Rudy! How am I going to get better?!"

5 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Hmmm..Dwight Freeney , Reggie Wayne , Marvin Harrison and Robert Mathis?

Freeney was drafted in 2002

Reggie was drafted in 2001

Marv was drafted in 1996

And Mathis was drafted in 2003 

Mathis and Reggie are not "likely" HOFers, but have a chance to be. 

Mathis, the closest to our current timeline, was drafted 17 years ago. 

I wouldnt call that very recent considering they're also retired. 

I stand by my statement. 

When I say a while, I mean 10 years or more. I respect that there are long time Colts fans, and they may consider "a while" being 30 years. But now we are getting closer to the Baltimore days. What do you consider "a while" to be?

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

Marv was drafted in 1996

I stand by my statement. 

When I say a while, I mean 10 years or more. I respect that there are long time Colts fans, and they may consider "a while" being 30 years. But now we are getting closer to the Baltimore days. What do you consider "a while" to be?

Yeah I would say recent history is probably 15 years or so, real recent history is 10 years. Some people do not remember what happened 20 years ago sports wise, especially someone that is only 30 or younger. So your post was right on. Hard to believe after the 2020 season is played it would be 15 seasons ago counting the 2006 season we won the SB with Peyton. Time flies.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I would say recent history is probably 15 years or so, real recent history is 10 years. Some people do not remember what happened 20 years ago sports wise, especially someone that is only 30 or younger. So your post was right on. Hard to believe after the 2020 season is played it would be 15 seasons ago counting the 2006 season (2006 season) we won the SB with Peyton. Time flies.

I believed Peyton would be enough to make the Colts a dynasty... So much did and didnt happen. It was a tale of a lot of joyous wins and a lot of heart breaking losses. I wouldnt trade it for the world. I got to grow up watching Peyton Manning change the game. And for a young kid, it was like magic. I am now 28. Back then I never thought it would end lol 

14 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I believed Peyton would be enough to make the Colts a dynasty... So much did and didnt happen. It was a tale of a lot of joyous wins and a lot of heart breaking losses. I wouldnt trade it for the world. I got to grow up watching Peyton Manning change the game. And for a young kid, it was like magic. I am now 28. Back then I never thought it would end lol 

Yeah at least in 2006 you were what 14 or so you remember the good ol days and had bragging rights in high school at least haha . When I was in high school I had Eric Dickerson at least for 2 great years but the Colts never won it all.

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Marv was drafted in 1996

I stand by my statement. 

And when was Peyton drafted ?

And to think, there were more than just a few here at the forum that laughed at the notion I supported, which was taking Big Q with the 3rd overall pick.  As it turned out, though, the trade Ballard pulled off moving down and still getting Nelson was brilliant, thus making the selection of a Guard a little more palatable, though some still complained that it was too high of a spot to select a Guard. 

I stand by the notion, though, that Nelson was well worth that 3rd overall pick, if that had been what it came down to.  A notion that has been reinforced over and over and over by Nelson’s performance and growing reputation as a teammate that makes everyone around him better.

Go Colts!

24 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

And to think, there were more than just a few here at the forum that laughed at the notion I supported, which was taking Big Q with the 3rd overall pick.  As it turned out, though, the trade Ballard pulled off moving down and still getting Nelson was brilliant, thus making the selection of a Guard a little more palatable, though some still complained that it was too high of a spot to select a Guard. 

I stand by the notion, though, that Nelson was well worth that 3rd overall pick, if that had been what it came down to.  A notion that has been reinforced over and over and over by Nelson’s performance and growing reputation as a teammate that makes everyone around him better.

Go Colts!

My draft board was Barkley #1 but I had Big Q at #2 over Chubb who many wanted, I figured Barkley would be gone by the 2nd pick anyway. I loved the Nelson pick.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah at least in 2006 you were what 14 or so you remember the good ol days and had bragging rights in high school at least haha . When I was in high school I had Eric Dickerson at least for 2 great years but the Colts never won it all.

That AFCCG in 2006 was one of the happiest moments of my life! But win or lose I'll always bleed blue. 

12 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

That AFCCG in 2006 was one of the happiest moments of my life! But win or lose I'll always bleed blue. 

AFCCG was great(beating Pats, mainn reason), almost as great as the next game. That next game definitely has a leg up on it.

38 minutes ago, w87r said:

AFCCG was great(beating Pats, mainn reason), almost as great as the next game. That next game definitely has a leg up on it.

Emotionally, beating the Patriots like that was more memorable than the SB, but it obviously wouldnt matter nearly as much if the colts dont beat the bears. 

7 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Emotionally, beating the Patriots like that was more memorable than the SB, but it obviously wouldnt matter nearly as much if the colts dont beat the bears. 

I can agree with that.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:56 AM, rockywoj said:

I stand by the notion, though, that Nelson was well worth that 3rd overall pick, if that had been what it came down to.

Yup...   I was in that camp as well.  But I was beside myself to drop down from #3 and still get him at #6, and also pick up a #37 (Braden Smith), a #49 (traded for #52 Kemoko Turay and #169 Jordan Wilkins), and a following years 2nd round pick #34 (Rock Ya-Sin) as well?  :mindblow:

41 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I don't buy jerseys anymore, but if I did #56 would be the one.

Same.  OTOH, I just may be buying jerseys again...  :excited:

Big Q is the tone-setter of this team. For years that’s all I’ve wanted. This man is feared by defenses. Buckner said he practices hard as well. That’s is too good! I hope this works out for us. We have the depth and now that guy at DT. 

On 6/13/2020 at 6:24 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yup...   I was in that camp as well.  But I was beside myself to drop down from #3 and still get him at #6, and also pick up a #37 (Braden Smith), a #49 (traded for #52 Kemoko Turay and #169 Jordan Wilkins), and a following years 2nd round pick #34 (Rock Ya-Sin) as well?  :mindblow:

Same.  OTOH, I just may be buying jerseys again...  :excited:

I know it doesn't matter, but I wish the Leonard and Smith picks were flipped. If so it might be viewed as one of the best trades in history. 

On 6/12/2020 at 5:56 AM, rockywoj said:

Go Colts!

I truly believe that if they were stuck at 3, they would have drafted Chubb. I would have. I liked Chubb more than Garret coming out of college.

17 hours ago, wig said:

I know it doesn't matter, but I wish the Leonard and Smith picks were flipped. If so it might be viewed as one of the best trades in history. 

One was picked 36, the other picked 37.

But you want them reversed?   Why?   What difference does it make?

Why does the order in which they were traded matter in how history will judge the trade?    Sorry,  I don’t follow...

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:
18 hours ago, wig said:

Why does the order in which they were traded matter in how history will judge the trade?    Sorry,  I don’t follow...

The Colts already had picks 3 and 36 to start the draft. 3 was traded for 6, 37, 49, and a 2019 2nd round pick. The 37th pick is, therefore, part of 'the trade,' but the 36th pick is not since we already had it from the get-go. Leonard was a straight up drafted player, no trades involved.

wig is saying if we had picked up Leonard at 37 (instead of Smith), then Leonard would have been part of 'the trade,' and that might have made 'the trade' the best trade in history. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah that post has me puzzled as well, 36 or 37 haha 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Nelson was the pick all along. Even at #3 we would've took him IMO but what Ballard did is trade down to get an extra pick because he knew nobody would take a Guard in the top 5. Genius. 

Agree.  Just knowing how Ballard thinks (all in retrospect, mind you) I have a feeling Nelson was his #1 pick overall.  The OLine needed a major retool and Nelson was considered  a generational guard.  Ballard is a trenches guy...perfect scenario all around.

Sliding down to six and still getting him was genius.  Love some CB!

12 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

The Colts already had picks 3 and 36 to start the draft. 3 was traded for 6, 37, 49, and a 2019 2nd round pick. The 37th pick is, therefore, part of 'the trade,' but the 36th pick is not since we already had it from the get-go. Leonard was a straight up drafted player, no trades involved.

wig is saying if we had picked up Leonard at 37 (instead of Smith), then Leonard would have been part of 'the trade,' and that might have made 'the trade' the best trade in history. 

This exactly. Makes no difference to the team. But if picks from the trade resulted directly in two potential HOF guys and a potential pro bowl guy in Turay, there might not be a trade since Dallas in the 80s that brought in that kind of haul from a single pick or player. 

22 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I truly believe that if they were stuck at 3, they would have drafted Chubb. I would have. I liked Chubb more than Garret coming out of college.

Ballard said Chubb would have been really hard to pass on. I agree it likely would have been him. 

Archived