Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What The Experts Are Saying About The 2020 Colts

superrep1967

• Nadine pinned this topic

This includes two clips from Kay Adams. I pointed out in another thread that she is hyped about the Colts and y’all made fun of me.  

Do you only take hype seriously when it is corroborated by male experts....

In any case, I’ve never been this excited about a team surrounding my beloved Rivers. Go Colts!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 9:01 AM, Bolts2Colts said:

There are folks like that. There are also folks who see sexism everywhere. Sometimes it's legit, sometimes it's not. I try to not put all of "anyone" in the same boat unless I have proof. 

On 6/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, Bolts2Colts said:

This includes two clips from Kay Adams. I pointed out in another thread that she is hyped about the Colts and y’all made fun of me.  

In any case, I’ve never been this excited about a team surrounding my beloved Rivers. Go Colts!!

I always take the "experts" with a grain of salt.  We have posters on this forum that I would consider as much of an expert as many that are claimed to be "experts".   

The gender question is interesting.  Since  most women have not played football in high school or college, I may not give their opinions as much credibility as I do former players.   

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I always take the "experts" with a grain of salt.  We have posters on this forum that I would consider as much of an expert as many that are claimed to be "experts".   

The gender question is interesting.  Since  most women have not played football in high school or college, I may not give their opinions as much credibility as I do former players.  

Some need more salt than others. IMO, you have a few different groups of "experts"

1. Former players/coaches who bring Xs and Os expertise

2. Stat heads that follow the game like science

3. "insiders" like Adam Schefter

4. Commentators/writers who are fair that have been around the game forever (Suzy Kolber)

5. Shock jocks (like Colin Cowherd)

As you go down the list above, you need to add more and more salt

Personally, give me a quality mix of 1 and 2. I don't mind a little dash of Schefter and Kolber. Cowherd totally ruins the taste though..

On 6/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, Bolts2Colts said:

I only take hype seriously coming from x players and coaches, and perhaps some from the stat head / science category. 

It has nothing to do with sex, but there are very few females in those two categories. I do respect Suzy Kolber's takes, but her takes, are rarely hot takes. She's been around the game long enough, and she's not a shill like Cowherd. She also doesn't try to act like an expert. She's humble, and pretty much all fact and data. I also like Dianna Russini. She's getting pretty good but still has a ways to go. Both of them do very well moderating/hosting. 

On 6/20/2020 at 7:48 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Experts? lol

There are no NFL experts. Just people with opinions, just like all of us in this forum.

You can almost count on 5 or 6 teams in both conferences who either under achieve or over achieve on what the so called experts say.  

You are right

The "experts" take positions sometimes to be the counterpoint in an interview.

No one is tracking the right opinion vs wrong opinion numbers from the media

(Thankfully on my opinions too :)  )

We track YAC...... we should track talking head opinions

20 hours ago, Myles said:

Male doctors have never given birth.  Would you not give their opinions as much credibility as female doctors who have given birth on birth related issues?

53 minutes ago, gspdx said:
21 hours ago, Myles said:

53 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Male doctors have never given birth.  Would you not give their opinions as much credibility as female doctors who have given birth on birth related issues?

InfantileLavishDodobird-size_restricted.

When I start getting excited for how good this team could be, I remind myself that it’s still a team that held Drew Brees to one incompletion.   

I know, I know Buckner, Moore, Rhodes...minus Desir and Geathers.  But still...

Let’s just beat the jags, then I’ll get excited.  

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

For me, if next season was a huge disappointment, that disappointment would not be increased because I got excited before the season started. In fact, just the opposite....I would at least have truly enjoyed the offseason. To each their own.....

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

For me, if next season was a huge disappointment, that disappointment would not be increased because I got excited before the season started. In fact, just the opposite....I would at least have truly enjoyed the offseason. To each their own.....

I’m also enjoying the off season, as much as is possible given our circumstances.  I’m just not going to get hyped about being a great team until we’re a great team. 

14 hours ago, gspdx said:

Somewhat, yes.  Especially if they are analyzing how a birth is progressing.    Experience is an added tool.

21 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Just challenging the idea.  Thanks for the answer!

No problem.  

While there are many ways for football analysts to be good, only the males can add "experience".  It doesn't mean experience is the most important part.   Just that if 2 analysts (1 former player and one woman) are equally good at their craft,the experience may allow the network to use the former player a bit more.    The evening factor is that many former players are biased in favor of other players and you don't get unbiased analysis.   Most former players are not as polished as their female peers.   

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

When I start getting excited for how good this team could be, I remind myself that it’s still a team that held Drew Brees to one incompletion.   

I know, I know Buckner, Moore, Rhodes...minus Desir and Geathers.  But still...

A quick passing game like New Orleans is certainly hard to stop, but with help added in Buckner to provide pressure from the inside, to go along with our outside pressure in Houston and Turay, hopefully we'll improve in that regard. I also think Blackmon will help in coverage all over the field. 

57 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

A quick passing game like New Orleans is certainly hard to stop, but with help added in Buckner to provide pressure from the inside, to go along with our outside pressure in Houston and Turay, hopefully we'll improve in that regard. I also think Blackmon will help in coverage all over the field. 

Yeah, the D went downhill after Moore went down and Turay wan't there.  I'm not sure we'll see Blackmon until at least the middle of the season but we're pretty well set on S.

We have to expect Rock will improve, he's driven.  And we have to hope that Tell continues to learn the position.  I guess Rhodes is the biggest question.  I confess to not knowing a lot about him and why he's regressed the last few years.  

"Experts" say things like "If all goes right they could win it all.". "I mean it's anybody's guess but my guess would be the XXXXs to win it all." "Well, they look good on paper and if the rookies come through they could hoist the Lombardi trophy this year."

The only thing they are experts on is wearing the right makeup.

4 hours ago, King Colt said:

"Experts" say things like "If all goes right they could win it all.". "I mean it's anybody's guess but my guess would be the XXXXs to win it all." "Well, they look good on paper and if the rookies come through they could hoist the Lombardi trophy this year."

The only thing they are experts on is wearing the right makeup.

Incredible insight. 

I think if you believe Chris drafted good athletes and good young men, and our coaching staff is above average, AND Buckner is the real deal coupled with Rivers beating back Father Time for a year or two..... I think we have more reason to be optimistic than not. I’m in that camp.

I mean, I do appreciate an analyst that says "hold on a sec.. you guys are all caught up on the sexy teams, but this Colts team...". It shows that they're actually paying attention. GMFB is sometimes too unserious for my liking (just depending on my mood), but they really believe in us. Also, nothing makes me more happy than hearing Chris Ballard praise on my television haha. Absolutely nothing.

On 6/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, Four2itus said:

There are folks like that. There are also folks who see sexism everywhere. Sometimes it's legit, sometimes it's not. I try to not put all of "anyone" in the same boat unless I have proof. 

I don’t look for sexism. I was mocked for mentioning that Kay Adams was hyped about the Colts. If I’d said Peter Schrager was hyped about the Colts, would people have laughed at that?  Probably not, yet he didn’t play college or pro football either. Anyhow back to the Colts....

Matthew Berry of ESPN, who apparently has only ever played fantasy sports (not real sports), spewed out the following 'facts':

• Since 2014, Philip Rivers has finished as a top-10 QB in total points just once.
  • Last season, when Rivers was pressured, he had more interceptions (seven) than touchdowns (six).
  • Last season, when Rivers was pressured, he ranked 21st in points per pass attempt.
  • Last season, the Chargers were seventh best at preventing pressure.
  • The Colts, Rivers' new team, were 25th.

Until this, I've only seen people talking about how much better our line is than what he had last year. I guess we'll see soon enough what PR can do in Indy.

48 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Matthew Berry of ESPN, who apparently has only ever played fantasy sports (not real sports), spewed out the following 'facts':

• Since 2014, Philip Rivers has finished as a top-10 QB in total points just once.
  • Last season, when Rivers was pressured, he had more interceptions (seven) than touchdowns (six).
  • Last season, when Rivers was pressured, he ranked 21st in points per pass attempt.
  • Last season, the Chargers were seventh best at preventing pressure.
  • The Colts, Rivers' new team, were 25th.

Until this, I've only seen people talking about how much better our line is than what he had last year. I guess we'll see soon enough what PR can do in Indy.

LOL. I love your bolded choice of words.

What Berry doesn't list, or perhaps he just doesn't understand.... is the following.

Time to throw - Brissett was 2nd worst in the league, while Rivers was 5th best. LAC OL had didn't have to protect Rivers as long because he has a quicker release, or simply had to throw the ball away when pressured.

OL Rank - PFF 

LAC - Ranked overall 29th last year, and hasn't had a pass protection rank above 26th since 2014. That's horrible. Their Ts gave up the 2nd most pressures in the league.

Indy - Ranked 3rd overall, and is a pre-season favorite to be #1 to start the season.

So, in other words, the Colts OL had to protect longer, and graded much much higher. LAC had to protect less, and graded near the bottom of the league. Brissett, who had an OL that gave him plenty of time to throw, was bottom 10 in completion %. Rivers, who's OL didn't give him time to throw, was top 10 in completion %.

Pretty worthless and shallow analysis from Berry.

I'm really excited, but cautious about it mainly because this Corona doesn't seem like it's going anywhere. Instead of us getting control of it, it seems like it's gotten worse.  Hopefully they don't cancel the season. 

Archived