Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ok, What really do you think if the season goes forward as it is now do we have a chance to compete, for the Super Bowl?

I think we can definitely compete for the playoffs and in the playoffs. However, ultimately I don't expect Rivers to outscore the likes of  LJ8 or Mahomes. 

On 6/9/2020 at 10:04 PM, superrep1967 said:

If our running game is going to be as good I think it's going to be I think we have a good chance. But everything would to fall in place right like injuries for example. 

I just hope Reich doesn’t abandon it too much like he seemed to do last year. Couple examples off top of head..We were gashing Pittsburgh on the ground even with Hoyer in. Really wearing KC out on the ground, moving the chains. Both times Reich decided to get pass happy and one game we lost the lead and lost and the other we won but other teams offense had a shot at the end that they shouldn’t of had. 

1 hour ago, rayski said:

I think we can definitely compete for the playoffs and in the playoffs. However, ultimately I don't expect Rivers to outscore the likes of  LJ8 or Mahomes. 

Until Lamar can produce in the playoffs I won’t ever pick them no matter how good they are. (Kinda like they Peyton haters back in the day) Lamar has layed two goose eggs in the playoffs so far and for some reason I remember him being pretty average in Louisville’s bowl games too. 

5 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

I just hope Reich doesn’t abandon it too much like he seemed to do last year. Couple examples off top of head..We were gashing Pittsburgh on the ground even with Hoyer in. Really wearing KC out on the ground, moving the chains. Both times Reich decided to get pass happy and one game we lost the lead and lost and the other we won but other teams offense had a shot at the end that they shouldn’t of had. 

Surprisingly, he kept up the run offense vs the Chiefs and never flinched. Maybe he did not believe in Brissett's passing abilities compared to Hoyer. He even called head scratching 4 passes vs the Dolphins before we lost it with Hoyer.

His confidence in Brissett's passing might be justified but his confidence in Hoyer, was a bit misplaced, IMO.

23 hours ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

Until Lamar can produce in the playoffs I won’t ever pick them no matter how good they are. (Kinda like they Peyton haters back in the day) Lamar has layed two goose eggs in the playoffs so far and for some reason I remember him being pretty average in Louisville’s bowl games too. 

Understandable.Although I'd still pick Lamar over Philip who has barely produced in the playoffs in 20 years. Don't see how suddenly he could be different. Lamar at least has an edge in the game.

3 hours ago, rayski said:

Understandable. Although I'd still pick Lamar over Philip who has barely produced in the playoffs in 20 years. Don't see how suddenly he could be different. Lamar at least has an edge in the game.

Philips always came up short with those AFC North style of Ds, which blitzed a lot, typically rushing more than 5. Ravens, Steelers, and Rex Ryan with the Jets who was with the Ravens. When they blitzed occasionally or dropped back in coverage just rushing four, he did very well against those kinds of teams (Colts, and even Patriots though he ended up losing close games against them).

He needs the run game to keep him in critical games against elite Ds, that is my observation at least, especially since he can't evade the pocket while blitzed. He needs enough margin for error with his run game and defense, especially at this point in his life.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Philips always came up short with those AFC North style of Ds, which blitzed a lot, typically rushing more than 5. Ravens, Steelers, and Rex Ryan with the Jets who was with the Ravens. When they blitzed occasionally or dropped back in coverage just rushing four, he did very well against those kinds of teams (Colts, and even Patriots though he ended up losing close games against them).

He needs the run game to keep him in critical games against elite Ds, that is my observation at least, especially since he can't evade the pocket while blitzed. He needs enough margin for error with his run game and defense, especially at this point in his life.

I agree.   The only thing different is that he now has an O-line that can negate much of those blitzes.   I'm looking forward to the Colts facing a top notch D-line this season.   I think Nelson will get them hyped to dominate as a challenge.   Doesn't mean they won't get beat a few times though.   Rivers sack % was 5.4% last season.   It's 5.5% for his career.  which was better than many QB's in the league.   I just looked up a couple:

Dak - 6.2%

A. Rodgers - 6.9%

Garoppolo - 7.2%

Brady - 4.8%

Luck - 5.0% - Amazing, just amazing.

• Like 1

My biggest concern is CB.  I like Rock, but Moore had a tough year at nickle last year, and Rhodes was let go by the Vikes.  That isn't even taking injuries into account.  Our pass rush will have to be phenomenal to go far in the playoffs.