Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dalvin Cook holding out

Myles

Good luck.   RB's are not valued as much as other positions.  

Probably not good for him to mention he wants a deal similar to Johnson.  That turned out to be a bad move by the Cardinals.  

Not a great offseason to be a RB wanting high pay.

Lots of free agent RB's after this season.

Henry, Drake, Fournette, Gurley, Mack, Coleman, Breida, Hunt, Burkhead, Peterson, Yeldon, Cook, Mixon, Abdullah, Booker, Kamara, Conner, Williams, Gore, Lindsay and many more. Also a decent draft class.

David Johnson -- traded this offseason to Houston -- makes $13 million per year, and Cook wants to match if not surpass that total.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29283874/vikings-rb-dalvin-cook-hold-reasonable-deal-source-says

LeVeon Bell, Melvin Gordon etc. have some advice to give, just show up for TC while negotiating. Given the limited contact nature of practices, at least till the pre-season starts, you can participate in team activities showing you care.

I know it is a business decision but you buy yourself some team equity by showing up for practices and TC, IMO, just not pre-season games and onwards.

If the Vikings call his bluff and he hold out all or most of the season, he will not reap too many benefits the following year.   Like I posted above, the RB free agent market is strong for the 2021 season.  He had just over 1100 yards in his best season.   While he is very good, he hasn't proven to be irreplaceable.  

Funny jokes aside, if he holds out too long, (according to Pat Kirwan) he can rack up fines that would exceed his annual pay.  Also, he loses out getting a year of service credit toward full FA. And there's always that franchise tag looming out there...

If he's lucky, he gets offered 5 years, 65 million with 31-33 million guaranteed to (more than likely) finish his career.  And he probably won't take it, but he should.

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Funny jokes aside, if he holds out too long, (according to Pat Kirwan) he can rack up fines that would exceed his annual pay.  Also, he loses out getting a year of service credit toward full FA. And there's always that franchise tag looming out there...

If he's lucky, he gets offered 5 years, 65 million with 31-33 million guaranteed to (more than likely) finish his career.  And he probably won't take it, but he should.

Yeah I saw this as well. I thought it said of he loses a year of service he would be RFA? Could be wrong.?

I wouldn't offer him that contract, if he gets that offer he better take it like you said. He hasn't proven that much in the league yet. He's good no doubt, that's a contract that will hurt the Vikings, and he wont make it through it.

In a way.....  I feel bad for the RBs

They seem to have the shortest lifespan in the NFL.

AND...... its seems EVERY 2nd contract, (past the rookie contract), doesnt work out for the team that brings in the FA.

Teams just arent handing out the big contracts for RBs anymore

I truly wonder how aggressive we will be with Macks deal...If we even try at all.......

Archived