Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
w87r

Philip Rivers

Recommended Posts

Worried about Philip? Really? You mean THIS Philip Rivers?

 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/6/9/21285296/report-new-colts-qb-philip-rivers-is-driving-force-behind-organizing-imminent-player-only-practices

 

“Rivers, who joined the Colts as a free agent in March, is taking a lead role in organizing player-only practices in the Indianapolis area next week, multiple sources told The Athletic Indiana,” Holder writes. “Meanwhile, cornerback Kenny Moore is among those making arrangements to get defensive players on board.”

“The workouts, to be held at a local venue – not at the Colts’ training facility – will likely feature a 7-on-7 format involving offensive and defensive players. It will be a welcome change for players largely unable to conduct organized workouts while quarantined in recent months because of COVID-19.”

“A full list of players expected to participate remains unclear, but sources said attendance is expected to be quite healthy.”

 

 

Ha ha, just ribbing you some. Good stuff in that article though. But no surprise coming from "Coach" Philip.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Worried about Philip? Really? You mean THIS Philip Rivers?

 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/6/9/21285296/report-new-colts-qb-philip-rivers-is-driving-force-behind-organizing-imminent-player-only-practices

 

“Rivers, who joined the Colts as a free agent in March, is taking a lead role in organizing player-only practices in the Indianapolis area next week, multiple sources told The Athletic Indiana,” Holder writes. “Meanwhile, cornerback Kenny Moore is among those making arrangements to get defensive players on board.”

“The workouts, to be held at a local venue – not at the Colts’ training facility – will likely feature a 7-on-7 format involving offensive and defensive players. It will be a welcome change for players largely unable to conduct organized workouts while quarantined in recent months because of COVID-19.”

“A full list of players expected to participate remains unclear, but sources said attendance is expected to be quite healthy.”

 

 

Ha ha, just ribbing you some. Good stuff in that article though. But no surprise coming from "Coach" Philip.

 

So the players are basically going to have OTA on their own. I love Kenny Moore and the leader he has grown into. Yeah if the players are going this far in what is supposed to be down time camps should start in time.  Can’t wait to see some of their IG stories. We are only a month away from camp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Rivers is going to bring the helmet visor back?  Like he used to wear when he first came in the league.  I'm not sure if there's a rule that prevents the visor or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, krunk said:

I wonder if Rivers is going to bring the helmet visor back?  Like he used to wear when he first came in the league.  I'm not sure if there's a rule that prevents the visor or not.

Everybody might be wearing a visor this year.

 

I know they are talking about some kind of protection with covid floating around

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2020 at 8:24 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

That was one of my Dad's all time favourite songs, from Showboat I think?

Brings back memories of him.

And Mariah from Paint Your Wagon.

Happy to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stitches said:

Rivers press availability:

 

 

I enjoyed that interview so much. This offense should be able to get back close to where it was with Luck. I thought it was funny he didn’t want to say who he was throwing to. Also how he didn’t want any of the credit for organizing the mini camp they are going to do.  I wasn’t a fan of going after him at first. By I think it’s going to work well. He will get on the players if they aren’t working hard or give maximum effort. He is going to be good for the QB as a whole to learn how to lead a team.  This young team needed I guy like him.

 

What is up with Gregg Doyle asking him what neighborhood he lives in and where his kids go to school. That was way out of bounds.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I enjoyed that interview so much. This offense should be able to get back close to where it was with Luck. I thought it was funny he didn’t want to say who he was throwing to. Also how he didn’t want any of the credit for organizing the mini camp they are going to do.  I wasn’t a fan of going after him at first. By I think it’s going to work well. He will get on the players if they aren’t working hard or give maximum effort. He is going to be good for the QB as a whole to learn how to lead a team.  This young team needed I guy like him.

 

What is up with Gregg Doyle asking him what neighborhood he lives in and where his kids go to school. That was way out of bounds.

IMO, will be better than Luck's O. Better OL, better pass catchers on average, better RB room, etc.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, will be better than Luck's O. Better OL, better pass catchers on average, better RB room, etc.

This team has the makings of being like the 2018 team but with a better running game assuming Rivers does still have it. I think he does. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

What is up with Gregg Doyle asking him what neighborhood he lives in and where his kids go to school. That was way out of bounds.

I agree.  But incidentally I think he lives close to me because we have that same problem he spoke about.  Likely in a different neighborhood though.  :default_20smile:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

What is up with Gregg Doyle asking him what neighborhood he lives in and where his kids go to school. That was way out of bounds.


Yeah, that was extremely awkward and kind of creepy.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to go back watch the Rivers smack talk compilation on YouTube.  
 

If nothing else, he’s going to be entertaining!  “90 YARD TOUCHDOWN!!!”

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main thing with Rivers isn’t really Rivers right now but his contract.  Stealing from a radio show, but the fact he’s making the same as what Brees and Brady got on new contracts is kind of crazy.  Should’ve been at least 5-7 million less (if not more).  Seems they had to raise the bar to not have our starter making less than Jacoby (an even more terrible deal).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nate! said:

My main thing with Rivers isn’t really Rivers right now but his contract.  Stealing from a radio show, but the fact he’s making the same as what Brees and Brady got on new contracts is kind of crazy.  Should’ve been at least 5-7 million less (if not more).  Seems they had to raise the bar to not have our starter making less than Jacoby (an even more terrible deal).

 

Don't worry about the money, the team can afford it.  It's not stopping them from bringing in anyone they really want.  Besides, you know how fiscally responsible Ballard is, so I'm sure he's studied the value to the nth degree.

 

If anything, JB's contract should concern you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Nate! said:

My main thing with Rivers isn’t really Rivers right now but his contract.  Stealing from a radio show, but the fact he’s making the same as what Brees and Brady got on new contracts is kind of crazy.  Should’ve been at least 5-7 million less (if not more).  Seems they had to raise the bar to not have our starter making less than Jacoby (an even more terrible deal).

not true. TBs contract is 2 years 50 million fully guaranteed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nate! said:

My main thing with Rivers isn’t really Rivers right now but his contract.  Stealing from a radio show, but the fact he’s making the same as what Brees and Brady got on new contracts is kind of crazy.  Should’ve been at least 5-7 million less (if not more).  Seems they had to raise the bar to not have our starter making less than Jacoby (an even more terrible deal).

What's the difference between Rivers and Brady/Brees?

 

Brady and Brees have played for much better teams and much better franchises, and therefore have won more.  Remember, Brees played for the Chargers for 5 seasons, having a passer rating of 85 and failing to win a single playoff game.  He goes to NO, gets the #1 defense in the NFL (among other improvements) and wins a super bowl.  Brady has had a top ten defense and OL pretty much every single year of his career, as well as having arguably the greatest coach of all time.

 

The truth, and the Colts' management and coaches know this, is that Brady/Brees don't do things that Rivers cannot.  Reading defenses, accuracy, leadership, etc...Rivers is on the same level as those other guys.  He just wasted his whole career playing for a terrible franchise.

 

I would expect Colts fans of all people to understand that winning requires much more than an "elite" QB.  I consider Peyton to be one of the GOATs, and he couldn't even do it all on his own.  Ironically, his two SB wins came while he threw more INTs than TDs in the playoffs.

 

Rivers is undoubtedly worth $25 million.  What's really absurd is a guy like Dak Prescott demanding $40+ million.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This team has the makings of being like the 2018 team but with a better running game assuming Rivers does still have it. I think he does. 

I think he does too.

 

But I also know Rivers will have a better and more mature OL, and a lot better crop of pass catchers. Adding Taylor is just a bonus. Having Campbell instead of Rogers, Pittman instead of Grant, etc. should pay big dividends. I understand it's unproven talent, but the upside is clearly there. The only subtraction is Ebron, but Pittman brings that athleticism and size (while having better hands).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivers has made his appearance in the top 40 rankings.

 

Rather low, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, w87r said:

Rivers has made his appearance in the top 40 rankings.

 

Rather low, imo.

Hard to rate him higher based on how he played last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FortheWin said:

Hard to rate him higher based on how he played last year.

I suppose so, I just think you have to take situations in perspective.

 

Already went over it, but he had the 28th rated rush offense, maybe worst line in football and had to try and make things happen last year. Sirianni, said looking at the tapes half of his INT's(10) came when he was just trying to make something happen when they were down big(forcing passes).

 

Just wont have the same weight on his shoulders here and should flourish.

 

Great run game(7th last year)

Great OL

PA should be deadly

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, w87r said:

I suppose so, I just think you have to take situations in perspective.

 

Already went over it, but he had the 28th rated rush offense, maybe worst line in football and had to try and make things happen last year. Sirianni, said looking at the tapes half of his INT's(10) came when he was just trying to make something happen when they were down big(forcing passes).

 

Just wont have the same weight on his shoulders here and should flourish.

 

Great run game(7th last year)

Great OL

PA should be deadly

I do think he will be better being paired with Reich. But the only starting QB worse than him last year was Winston and of course he did throw 30+ TDs and had over 5000+ yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 11:35 AM, FortheWin said:

I do think he will be better being paired with Reich. But the only starting QB worse than him last year was Winston and of course he did throw 30+ TDs and had over 5000+ yards.

Doesn't really matter, but I strongly disagree with your second statement.  It's impossible to have a unanimous ranking of all QBs, but there's no way guys like Mayfield and Darnold were better QBs than Rivers last year.

 

Man, I'm just ready for the season to actually start.  Philip Rivers with an OL and seemingly competent coaching staff...been waiting a long time to see this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't just look at Rivers 2019 season. Take a look at Rivers 2018 season.

 

That will give Colts fans a more complete picture 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 7:53 PM, PrNum1 said:

Don't just look at Rivers 2019 season. Take a look at Rivers 2018 season.

 

That will give Colts fans a more complete picture 

This is a league of what have you done lately.

You have to look at every season in a career and look at the whys of everything.

Rivers has been a very good QB his whole career, but has been victim of being on some pretty incomplete teams most of his career with the Chargers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2020 at 9:37 AM, Chloe6124 said:

I am always watching the players IG to see there is any hints that he is here. Rivers doesn’t have SM.

 

What the heck is IG & SM? Sounds perverted...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, Nate! said:

My main thing with Rivers isn’t really Rivers right now but his contract.  Stealing from a radio show, but the fact he’s making the same as what Brees and Brady got on new contracts is kind of crazy.  Should’ve been at least 5-7 million less (if not more).  Seems they had to raise the bar to not have our starter making less than Jacoby (an even more terrible deal).

I'd rather have Rivers than Brady right now.   Brady looked old last season.   Rivers didn't have the greatest year last year, but oddly his rating was still better than Brady.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 11:02 PM, stitches said:

Rivers press availability:

 

 

The way River's face lights up when he starts talking about the O-line and the running game in the last 2 minutes of this video let's me know he is ecstatic to be a part of this team. He's gonna ball out this year, book it.

He knows he has a real chance to do something special with this offense and i dont think he is going to waste that chance.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, stitches said:

 

He’s normally had a good eye for reading the blitz throughout his career. Here’s to hoping that continues with our line. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 5:52 AM, AZColt11 said:

I agree.  But incidentally I think he lives close to me because we have that same problem he spoke about.  Likely in a different neighborhood though.  :default_20smile:

Well, my neighbor leaked to me that he knew where he lived.  He wouldn't tell me how he knew.  I mistakenly told my oldest son, who drove by his house and said he was in the back yard, of all things, playing football with the kids.  About a half mile from our house, but the houses look a little, um.....different.  I hope I don't need bail money for my stalker son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is there a CaptPhilipRivers twitter account yet?

 

Nevermind, I guess it is Major Philip Rivers.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

It would be funny if Eason made a Private Eason twitter account lol

Start it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • One of the early 3 round mocks I saw had us taking a DE in both the 1st and 2nd round lol.  https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/2021-NFL-Mock-Draft-three-rounds-college-football-Justin-Fields-Trevor-Lawrence-Micah-Parsons-150078428/   I think Houston still has a few very productive years left in the tank. Just adding Buckner will make things easier on him. Regardless, we really need someone like Turay to emerge as a 3 down guy. Even if Turay emerges and Houston is still playing well, I'd love to see us add a 1st round DE. I'm tired of 2nd round projects.   
    • Thanks. I did take a little break. There was nothing new, and was tired of reading the re-hashing of old stuff lol. Things should be starting to heat up a bit with new news, so decided to jump back in. I'm a little stir crazy, but at least the Pacers are getting ready to start the playoffs. Hoping they keep going until FB starts.   Don't have a sub anymore (Athletic), but I have looked at all those games in detail (some of the info in previous post). There are a lot of reasons we fell off. Losing Moore obviously impacted our pass D, but there was a lot more to the story. We played some very good QBs, we had other DB's injured, our O stunk (we had an atrocious number of 3 and outs), our pressure % stunk, etc.. We also got torched deep, which is not even Kenny's area. Rock was the only DB we had playing at a high level late in the year. Willis really got picked on a few games. Hooker was up and down.   The Athletic is pretty good, but they used to be a lot better. Their college coverage has really dropped off. Not a huge fan of Keefer (who wrote the article) either, but he's OK. He was just picked up by WISH (Indy's CW) which is an upgrade though to their coverage.
    • Don’t forget Johnson. We will see if Dulin’s ST abilities helps him make it over Johnson. But with Pitman and Pascal it will probably be hard for Johnson  to  make it.
    • He has a great voice. He has a vibe about him I think he is going to be s very good player. The rest of the video is hillarious.
    • Did you read the article, or did you just spin the tweet? I don't have a subscription to the athletic, but from their reputation, the article likely has more than 'surface level at best' underpinnings to their analysis. Perhaps not.   Btw, welcome back. Was starting to wonder if you were taking an extended break from the forum.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...