Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip Rivers

w87r

Worried about Philip? Really? You mean THIS Philip Rivers?

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/6/9/21285296/report-new-colts-qb-philip-rivers-is-driving-force-behind-organizing-imminent-player-only-practices

“Rivers, who joined the Colts as a free agent in March, is taking a lead role in organizing player-only practices in the Indianapolis area next week, multiple sources told The Athletic Indiana,” Holder writes. “Meanwhile, cornerback Kenny Moore is among those making arrangements to get defensive players on board.”

“The workouts, to be held at a local venue – not at the Colts’ training facility – will likely feature a 7-on-7 format involving offensive and defensive players. It will be a welcome change for players largely unable to conduct organized workouts while quarantined in recent months because of COVID-19.”

“A full list of players expected to participate remains unclear, but sources said attendance is expected to be quite healthy.”

Ha ha, just ribbing you some. Good stuff in that article though. But no surprise coming from "Coach" Philip.

22 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Worried about Philip? Really? You mean THIS Philip Rivers?

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/6/9/21285296/report-new-colts-qb-philip-rivers-is-driving-force-behind-organizing-imminent-player-only-practices

“Rivers, who joined the Colts as a free agent in March, is taking a lead role in organizing player-only practices in the Indianapolis area next week, multiple sources told The Athletic Indiana,” Holder writes. “Meanwhile, cornerback Kenny Moore is among those making arrangements to get defensive players on board.”

“The workouts, to be held at a local venue – not at the Colts’ training facility – will likely feature a 7-on-7 format involving offensive and defensive players. It will be a welcome change for players largely unable to conduct organized workouts while quarantined in recent months because of COVID-19.”

“A full list of players expected to participate remains unclear, but sources said attendance is expected to be quite healthy.”

Ha ha, just ribbing you some. Good stuff in that article though. But no surprise coming from "Coach" Philip.

So the players are basically going to have OTA on their own. I love Kenny Moore and the leader he has grown into. Yeah if the players are going this far in what is supposed to be down time camps should start in time.  Can’t wait to see some of their IG stories. We are only a month away from camp. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I wonder if Rivers is going to bring the helmet visor back?  Like he used to wear when he first came in the league.  I'm not sure if there's a rule that prevents the visor or not.

Everybody might be wearing a visor this year.

I know they are talking about some kind of protection with covid floating around

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Rivers press availability:

I enjoyed that interview so much. This offense should be able to get back close to where it was with Luck. I thought it was funny he didn’t want to say who he was throwing to. Also how he didn’t want any of the credit for organizing the mini camp they are going to do.  I wasn’t a fan of going after him at first. By I think it’s going to work well. He will get on the players if they aren’t working hard or give maximum effort. He is going to be good for the QB as a whole to learn how to lead a team.  This young team needed I guy like him.

What is up with Gregg Doyle asking him what neighborhood he lives in and where his kids go to school. That was way out of bounds.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I enjoyed that interview so much. This offense should be able to get back close to where it was with Luck. I thought it was funny he didn’t want to say who he was throwing to. Also how he didn’t want any of the credit for organizing the mini camp they are going to do.  I wasn’t a fan of going after him at first. By I think it’s going to work well. He will get on the players if they aren’t working hard or give maximum effort. He is going to be good for the QB as a whole to learn how to lead a team.  This young team needed I guy like him.

What is up with Gregg Doyle asking him what neighborhood he lives in and where his kids go to school. That was way out of bounds.

IMO, will be better than Luck's O. Better OL, better pass catchers on average, better RB room, etc.

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I agree.  But incidentally I think he lives close to me because we have that same problem he spoke about.  Likely in a different neighborhood though.  :default_20smile:

My main thing with Rivers isn’t really Rivers right now but his contract.  Stealing from a radio show, but the fact he’s making the same as what Brees and Brady got on new contracts is kind of crazy.  Should’ve been at least 5-7 million less (if not more).  Seems they had to raise the bar to not have our starter making less than Jacoby (an even more terrible deal).

11 minutes ago, Nate! said:

My main thing with Rivers isn’t really Rivers right now but his contract.  Stealing from a radio show, but the fact he’s making the same as what Brees and Brady got on new contracts is kind of crazy.  Should’ve been at least 5-7 million less (if not more).  Seems they had to raise the bar to not have our starter making less than Jacoby (an even more terrible deal).

Don't worry about the money, the team can afford it.  It's not stopping them from bringing in anyone they really want.  Besides, you know how fiscally responsible Ballard is, so I'm sure he's studied the value to the nth degree.

If anything, JB's contract should concern you.

38 minutes ago, Nate! said:

not true. TBs contract is 2 years 50 million fully guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Nate! said:

What's the difference between Rivers and Brady/Brees?

Brady and Brees have played for much better teams and much better franchises, and therefore have won more.  Remember, Brees played for the Chargers for 5 seasons, having a passer rating of 85 and failing to win a single playoff game.  He goes to NO, gets the #1 defense in the NFL (among other improvements) and wins a super bowl.  Brady has had a top ten defense and OL pretty much every single year of his career, as well as having arguably the greatest coach of all time.

The truth, and the Colts' management and coaches know this, is that Brady/Brees don't do things that Rivers cannot.  Reading defenses, accuracy, leadership, etc...Rivers is on the same level as those other guys.  He just wasted his whole career playing for a terrible franchise.

I would expect Colts fans of all people to understand that winning requires much more than an "elite" QB.  I consider Peyton to be one of the GOATs, and he couldn't even do it all on his own.  Ironically, his two SB wins came while he threw more INTs than TDs in the playoffs.

Rivers is undoubtedly worth $25 million.  What's really absurd is a guy like Dak Prescott demanding $40+ million.

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This team has the makings of being like the 2018 team but with a better running game assuming Rivers does still have it. I think he does. 

I think he does too.

But I also know Rivers will have a better and more mature OL, and a lot better crop of pass catchers. Adding Taylor is just a bonus. Having Campbell instead of Rogers, Pittman instead of Grant, etc. should pay big dividends. I understand it's unproven talent, but the upside is clearly there. The only subtraction is Ebron, but Pittman brings that athleticism and size (while having better hands).

1 minute ago, FortheWin said:

Hard to rate him higher based on how he played last year.

I suppose so, I just think you have to take situations in perspective.

Already went over it, but he had the 28th rated rush offense, maybe worst line in football and had to try and make things happen last year. Sirianni, said looking at the tapes half of his INT's(10) came when he was just trying to make something happen when they were down big(forcing passes).

Just wont have the same weight on his shoulders here and should flourish.

Great run game(7th last year)

Great OL

PA should be deadly

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

I suppose so, I just think you have to take situations in perspective.

Already went over it, but he had the 28th rated rush offense, maybe worst line in football and had to try and make things happen last year. Sirianni, said looking at the tapes half of his INT's(10) came when he was just trying to make something happen when they were down big(forcing passes).

Just wont have the same weight on his shoulders here and should flourish.

Great run game(7th last year)

Great OL

PA should be deadly

I do think he will be better being paired with Reich. But the only starting QB worse than him last year was Winston and of course he did throw 30+ TDs and had over 5000+ yards.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:35 AM, FortheWin said:

I do think he will be better being paired with Reich. But the only starting QB worse than him last year was Winston and of course he did throw 30+ TDs and had over 5000+ yards.

Doesn't really matter, but I strongly disagree with your second statement.  It's impossible to have a unanimous ranking of all QBs, but there's no way guys like Mayfield and Darnold were better QBs than Rivers last year.

Man, I'm just ready for the season to actually start.  Philip Rivers with an OL and seemingly competent coaching staff...been waiting a long time to see this.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 7:53 PM, PrNum1 said:

Don't just look at Rivers 2019 season. Take a look at Rivers 2018 season.

That will give Colts fans a more complete picture 

This is a league of what have you done lately.

You have to look at every season in a career and look at the whys of everything.

Rivers has been a very good QB his whole career, but has been victim of being on some pretty incomplete teams most of his career with the Chargers.

On 6/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, Nate! said:

I'd rather have Rivers than Brady right now.   Brady looked old last season.   Rivers didn't have the greatest year last year, but oddly his rating was still better than Brady.  

On 6/10/2020 at 11:02 PM, stitches said:

Rivers press availability:

The way River's face lights up when he starts talking about the O-line and the running game in the last 2 minutes of this video let's me know he is ecstatic to be a part of this team. He's gonna ball out this year, book it.

He knows he has a real chance to do something special with this offense and i dont think he is going to waste that chance.

On 6/11/2020 at 5:52 AM, AZColt11 said:

I agree.  But incidentally I think he lives close to me because we have that same problem he spoke about.  Likely in a different neighborhood though.  :default_20smile:

Well, my neighbor leaked to me that he knew where he lived.  He wouldn't tell me how he knew.  I mistakenly told my oldest son, who drove by his house and said he was in the back yard, of all things, playing football with the kids.  About a half mile from our house, but the houses look a little, um.....different.  I hope I don't need bail money for my stalker son.

Archived