Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Washington

DoubleE Colt

I say this as a genuine consideration in light of the statements Goodell and the NFLs recent statements....will The Washington Redskins finally be pressured into changed their name? I know they have stated numerous times in the past they never will and have received support from the NFL but now they NFL have taken the new stance they have it will be interesting to see if this rears its head again. 

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like they are now undergoing a review of the Redskins name.  A change seems likely due to the pressure from Fedex, NFL and public at large. They were the Boston Braves before they came to D.C.  So maybe just call them the Washington Braves or Washington Warriors if “Braves” is still deemed to be too insensitive.  FWIW, the Cleveland Indians are also considering a name change.  

6 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Looks like they are now undergoing a review of the Redskins name.  A change seems likely due to the pressure from Fedex, NFL and public at large. They were the Boston Braves before they came to D.C.  So maybe just call them the Washington Braves or Washington Warriors if “Braves” is still deemed to be too insensitive.  FWIW, the Cleveland Indians are also considering a name change.  

People find Indians offensive?

18 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Yup..,   I don’t recall the name causing the franchise too much trouble.   It was always the smiling Indian with the very red colored skin that got the most negative comments.

But the KC Chiefs or the Atlanta Braves don’t appear to have problems with their names.   And neither does the Florida State Seminoles, whose Indians have literally given their blessings in the past.

This is a loaded issue, because in the last 20-25 years the people who objected most WEREN’T Indians, it was Caucasian’s and others.  Times change and maybe the issue has to change as well?   

5 hours ago, buccolts said:

They definitely do.  My son and daughters former high school changed their nickname from "Indians" to "Eagles" years ago.  There is another local high school who just announced they will be changing their nickname from "Barons"  to something else. They will have a contest to determine a new name.  The district does not like the connotation it brings with the early practice of serfdom to the wealthy barons of nobility.  A practice similar to slavery.  

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They definitely do.  My son and daughters former high school changed their nickname from "Indians" to "Eagles" years ago.  There is another local high school who just announced they will be changing their nickname from "Barons"  to something else. They will have a contest to determine a new name.  The district does not like the connotation it brings with the early practice of serfdom to the wealthy barons of nobility.  A practice similar to slavery.  

Fort Wayne North changed their  mascot from Redskins to Legends in 2016

You know, if I think real hard I could find offense in pretty much anything.

Fighting Irish beware.

Trojans beware.

So many others.

I think the Colts looked for a new secondary emblem (bucking colt with helmet and football) due to PETA.

/s

The problem is we can't play Spock "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few" in real life. 

I found this nice read for those who like Spock.

Key words in it:

Far from being an expression of logic, Spock’s claim that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few is an arbitrary assertion and a restatement of the baseless moral theory known as utilitarianism, which asserts that each individual should act to serve the greatest good for the greatest number. 

On 7/4/2020 at 10:31 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The reverse Mt Rushmore :funny:, you still need 1 more. Jimmy Carter was pretty bad haha 

Half the people on Mt Rushmore were slave owners... Schools named after Washington and Jefferson have already had pressure to rename. 

On 7/4/2020 at 8:57 AM, dodsworth said:

From 1933 to 2019 the redskins franchise has been fine, fast forward to 2020. Americans today :Cry::Gaah::HFire:O.o:Cry:

Apparently...   you don’t follow football much...    this issue has been hotly debated for at least 25 years, if not more.    It’s been a Sports Illustrated cover story back when SI was still a big deal.    This is not a story that just happened in the last few weeks and months.   Not at all.   Sorry. 

I've seen the nickname Redtails floated and I love it.

For those that don't know the Redtails were a group of African American pilots who fought in World War II and were the first unit of African American military aviators in the United States armed forces, also known as The Tuskegee Airmen.

It would still fit in with a lot of things with the team like HTTR and their fight song could easily be modified to make it work. This mock up logo is pretty great too:

redtails.jpg

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

For those that don't know the Redtails were a group of African American pilots who fought in World War II and were the first unit of African American military aviators in the United States armed forces, also known as The Tuskegee Airmen.

It would still fit in with a lot of things with the team like HTTR and their fight song could easily be modified to make it work. This mock up logo is pretty great too:

redtails.jpg

200.gif

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not that I disagree....   but what in this thread brought on your reaction?    Just asking....

Nothing specific in this thread, but just the premise. I am far from being an insensitive person, but it really feels like we are full lilt in the opposite direction, becoming wayyyyy to sensitive. 

Water finds it's own level. I was never offended at the policies at Augusta (I feel it is their choice), but I also chose to not watch events at their grounds on TV because of their policies. 

In general I agree with the sentiment that the world is getting too sensitive.....but honestly I'm surprised Washington has gotten away with keeping the name for so long. Redskin has been seen as an insensitive word for a long time and used offensively a lot of the time.....I mean it's hard to imagine them being called the Washington Negro's and people letting it slide for this long and rightly so! For what it's worth I'm on board the Redtails train....fits well and would be a good bit of PR for them too in light of this. 

17 minutes ago, Samu-Rye said:

I really like the Redtails idea, but the logo should be simpler, As far as the Indians, change the logo to Gandhi and call it a day,

Isn't Ohio's state flower the Red Carnation?

Just call it Cleveland Carnations and call it a day. :)  Or use Drew Carey show "Cleveland Rocks" as the name?

Cleveland Rocks coming to town to play the Yankees, haha!!!

Has anyone ever heard the word Redskin used as pejorative or slur in any context beyond talking crap about the football team in their own daily life?

I'm also confused as to why anyone would name their team after a person or group they hate. 

Just now, The Fish said:

Has anyone ever heard the word Redskin used as pejorative or slur in any context beyond talking crap about the football team in their own daily life?

I'm also confused as to why anyone would name their team after a person or group they hate. 

The only thing I know is Redskinned mashed potatoes. Nothing offensive there. :dunno:

28 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

I'm almost finished with the NFL with all of these political actions of kneeling for the flag, crying about a franchises name and general self pitty about why one should feel like a victim in this country anymore. 

If people are going to use a sport and Sunday past time for their political agenda then I'm out....im f%#@ing out!

I agree with you (I might hang in there for a little while), but the irony of all this is; sports give us the opportunity to watch our teams and disregard totally the race of a player. Maybe not true equality in paychecks but in terms of rooting for players on my teams, color is irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

Another thing, since when does 13.4% of a particular section of American citizens get their own anthem? Just when did the "National Anthem" stop being good enough for "All Americans?"

I don't agree with the idea of an alternative song proposed as well but then the other thread posts got either merged with the George Floyd thread or got closed where I had voiced the same. However, let us keep this thread about Washington.

The rest can be lumped into the George Floyd thread, for moderation sake. 

23 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Another thing, since when does 13.4% of a particular section of American citizens get their own anthem? Just when did the "National Anthem" stop being good enough for "All Americans?"

A lot of people will be done with the NFL if they think  playing the black " National Anthem"  is a good idea. This is a devisive idea that will backfire badly.

IMO, its not so much the name, but the tactics used to change it.  Someone pointed out that for some reason the name Indians is bad, but not the Chiefs or the Braves, who have linkages to indian names, so where does it stop.

Someone has to stand up to the bullying tactics displayed by the mob, which now includes national and transnational corporations.  I'm not sure who gave them the authority to define to the rest of us what is offensive.

Simply say, no Fred Smith (ceo of Fed Ex) your'e dead wrong.  Redskins isn't an offensive name.  Its what they looked like by the people who named them.  Green skins would be offensive because it is incorrect.  

OTOH Native American is an offensive term, because America is a name coined by white people too..and the  Indians have nothing to do with....nor any ownership of... the name or even concept of America.  They should stop using it.

If Fred Smith and other mob members care that names that white people come up with can't be the norm, then Indians need to cease and desist using America in their PC naming convention....and should just be called Natives, which is actually what they were/are.  

And no, I would never name a football team the Washington Natives.  Sounds primitive (but probably accurate)

On 7/6/2020 at 7:26 AM, Shive said:

redtails.jpg

4 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I'm not gonna watch the first NFL week because of this political showing nonsense. It's their 1st amendment right to assemble, but rest assured if one knee hits the grass on our National Anthem then I'm totally finished with the NFL. 

If they don't respect our country, then I will cease to back them with their choice of employment....

Don't worry. I doubt there will be a week one until after the election.

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Don't worry. I doubt there will be a week one until after the election.

A cancelled season was mentioned by a Danish? Colts fan back in the March, and most people didn't take it seriously. I still think all major sports will return on time, there is literally billions on the line. a couple of news events gave me pause today..

1. 61,000+ cases in 24 hours a new record

2. the Ivy League shut down all sports the rest of the year, at first that is not a big deal to 99% of sports fans, but remember back to the up close and personal pre-mask world of March 10, 2020, the Ivy league, cancelled their NCAA hoops tournament and just a few days later... all sports vanished. 

8 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I'm not gonna watch the first NFL week because of this political showing nonsense. It's their 1st amendment right to assemble, but rest assured if one knee hits the grass on our National Anthem then I'm totally finished with the NFL. 

If they don't respect our country, then I will cease to back them with their choice of employment....

They really feel invincible at the highest level of sports, look at any professional sports team in the country, look at their franchise value compared to 10 years ago, even 5 years ago,the values not only go up they go way up, the sorriest franchise of the last 50 years the Clippers sold for over a billion a few years ago, the Clippers, a team you couldn't pay most people to sit and watch for two hours, are worth over a billion!!! Sports franchises can basically do whatever they want, they will never have any competition, so here are the options

1. quit cold turkey, and when people bring up sports, just say I used to watch it before.. or just avoid.

drawback-if you had a past addiction, you will have to avoid going out to eat on Sunday, because almost every place has on the game.

2. become a casual fan who only watches if they make the Super Bowl (the I only watch for the halftime and commercials fan)drawback-this one works easier if you are female 

3. put all the weekend energy into something else, lakes, crafts & woodwork, R&R, travel,outdoors, family,

because there literally is nothing on the TV to watch on the weekends besides live sports. drawback-living in the northern part of the U.S. 

4. go to radio/internet only, something I have done in the past, most of the changes will evaporate and it is just about the game& field position, drawbacks-instant replay

5. continue to be a fan, but let them know your opinion, and become an outspoken critic, let them know your displeasure constantly week after week, and when they say "go find another team", or "we don't want you as a fan", don't listen to them, and just articulate your displeasure. If enough people do this, they will listen they will have to, don't believe me, take a look at how many sports franchises change their logo and uniforms and a decade later they add a third jersey, and eventually the classic jersey is back. Brewers, Padres, Astros, Blue Jays, NY Giants, Chargers, Rams,Islanders, Sabres, Capitals, Coyotes, Pistons, 76ers, Warriors, etc

drawback-people will avoid you like covid-19

Archived