Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blackmon one of top Run defender S according to PFF

CR91

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

@VikingsFanInChennai @2006Coltsbestever

every year I played and coached 

Winning the Big 8 and Going Deep in the IHSAA Tournament was always a goal

In the NFL, making the Divisional Round is a good year. That is the Final 8 of the best of the best. Colts have made 12 of those since 1984 being in Indy.

LOL, this thread to a huge turn off topic....

Back on topic (Blackmon being a good run defender).....

If you watch any of his games, you know he's a great run defender. I'd recommend staring with the 2019 PAC12 Championship game vs Oregon. The very first play, Blackmon levels the WR who catches the ball behind the LOS...., and I mean totally Mack Truck's him. Poor guy is laying on the ground holding his ribs. I've linked it below, timed right before the play for ease...

It's why I say, to me, he projects as a well rounded stud SS, not a FS. If you watch the game (I've watched 4 of his games thus far) or others, he's clearly better playing closer the LOS than he is roaming/lurking, or covering deep. He was moved to S after some pretty bad years at CB. And add in the fact that Utah's D is one of the most "man" oriented Ds (very unlike the zone we play), to me personally, everything screams SS.

16 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Dan Marino while one heck of a QB, Is 1B, to PM, 1A. All I'm saying is if Colts as a team are not making a deep playoff run, then Colts have more question marks than answers. What's gonna happen is the same as when PM was here, be complacent with divisional titles. You don't see Pats/Chiefs enamoured with division titles.

BTW, for clarity sake, I come from a football program UM where it's national championship or bust every year. And all the great programs ala Clemson, Ohio State (they owe us 1 ring) has the same goal.

I'm not hear to compare Marino and Manning, they were both amazing. 

However, I think people forget how much less pass interference was called back in Marino's day though. WR's used to get mugged by DB's, so what Marino accomplished was even more impressive. 

Peyton was the master at calling the right play at the right time and usually executing it to perfection. 

All that said, I'm excited to see what Blackmon can bring. If he can hit half as hard as Bob Sanders did, but stay healthy, I'll be happy. 

13 hours ago, w87r said:

??

I know your hate for Kirk is real, but man.

I have Vikings and Saints in my NFC title game right now.

I don't want to digress from the original topic, so I left at that. But to clarify, Kirk is an above average QB by stats and highlights, but there are too much inconsistency in his game. He can play like an elite QB in spurts - that's in between games - not to a level of stringing together great play through multiple games against tough defenses, that usually qualify for playoffs. And, the big hope I mentioned is winning the Super Bowl in near future, but we will qualify for playoffs - easily if it is expanded to 7 teams - but that's about what we can expect and that just rhymes with the franchise history. Otherwise, we will have some fun games and quality record to feel good and enjoy the season. As the conversation was about winning "the 1", I haven't seen anything really to be hopeful. 

8 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I don't want to digress from the original topic

I agree kinda why I left it at that as well.

Just recalled your dislike for Kirk from a prior conversation.

All good, hopefully you come away happy from this season. Sucks to be a fan, feeling you have nothing to root for. I think you do though, ao good luck.

We have Colts Vs Vikings this season. 

If your pass rush is excellent, you'll see what I'm saying. You've got to see some of the bad losses to understand the point. 

If Colts can stop the run and be just good enough in pass rush, it will be a long day for us, especially in an away game.

Anyway, back to the topic, is there a definite timeline known for Blackmon's recovery this season? 

I'd let him redshirt as long as he needs to be healthy, hamstring troubles usually follow ACL recovery in next season for most players. I'd hope he is used sparingly when he comes back this season and give another Off-season to achieve his potential. 

That's my main concern about him, and how the team is gonna handle him.

5 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Anyway, back to the topic, is there a definite timeline known for Blackmon's recovery this season? 

I'd let him redshirt as long as he needs to be healthy, hamstring troubles usually follow ACL recovery in next season for most players. I'd hope he is used sparingly when he comes back this season and give another Off-season to achieve his potential. 

That's my main concern about him, and how the team is gonna handle him.

All reports Ive seen he is doing good and expected to be ready early to mid season.

I hope they don't intend on rushing hom back. Hopefully there is no injuries that force him in before he is ready.

I don't think he will be brought back till 100% though. :goodluck:

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

LOL, this thread to a huge turn off topic....

Back on topic (Blackmon being a good run defender).....

If you watch any of his games, you know he's a great run defender. I'd recommend staring with the 2019 PAC12 Championship game vs Oregon. The very first play, Blackmon levels the WR who catches the ball behind the LOS...., and I mean totally Mack Truck's him. Poor guy is laying on the ground holding his ribs. I've linked it below, timed right before the play for ease...

It's why I say, to me, he projects as a well rounded stud SS, not a FS. If you watch the game (I've watched 4 of his games thus far) or others, he's clearly better playing closer the LOS than he is roaming/lurking, or covering deep. He was moved to S after some pretty bad years at CB. And add in the fact that Utah's D is one of the most "man" oriented Ds (very unlike the zone we play), to me personally, everything screams SS.

Yep...the more I see...I see SS...or a nickel S close to LOS. Ballard did say he saw him as a FS in the NFL...but he is still really raw in terms of ball tracking and covering deep zones.  

This defense needs 3 legit starting Ss...and then depth. So Ballard might see him and Willis as the SS and nickel S going forward...with the better of the two starting in the base defense...and perhaps he will look to find a more dynamic coverage guy to replace Hooker (unless they re-up him)...or maybe Tell transitions back to FS (my personal preference).

Right now...I think Blackmon has to compete with Willis and Tell for snaps. After what I saw from Tell last year...he should be getting more snaps.

14 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yep...the more I see...I see SS...or a nickel S close to LOS. Ballard did say he saw him as a FS in the NFL...but he is still really raw in terms of ball tracking and covering deep zones.  

This defense needs 3 legit starting Ss...and then depth. So Ballard might see him and Willis as the SS and nickel S going forward...with the better of the two starting in the base defense...and perhaps he will look to find a more dynamic coverage guy to replace Hooker (unless they re-up him)...or maybe Tell transitions back to FS (my personal preference).

Right now...I think Blackmon has to compete with Willis and Tell for snaps. After what I saw from Tell last year...he should be getting more snaps.

Yup. Purely my opinion, but I think Blackmon  is more well rounded than Willis. I think Willis ends up the #3 guy, and the guy who plays Nickel or Dime S in some personnel packages. I'd be happy if they just let Willis play on run downs at SS, and Blackmon play SS during passing downs to start off.

Tell is an interesting project. He's got the body/speed of a tall CB but doesn't have the tackling physicality needed for SS. I could see him moved back to FS though. The experiment to CB last year might be over sooner than later. It's really his make or break year. If Rodes and Carrie do well at CB, they could move him back to S early.

Did you see Blackmon put that hit on the WR the first play when Utah was on D?

On 6/1/2020 at 10:18 PM, w87r said:

??

I know your hate for Kirk is real, but man.

I have Vikings and Saints in my NFC title game right now.

I agree with him but you already know that. Lol. Our division is pretty meh this year; so, we may win the division. But I doubt it, as we had too much turnover in players. 

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Lol

Probably would be better for my self well being.

Just don't really like to silence anyones voice. Sometimes it needed though.

I have 1 on my list now, though.

For me, it's about being here and what I am here for. If I go downtown to do some shopping and there is a group protesting the store I am going into, I tend to walk away from it. I am there to shop. Is that silencing?...yes. I come to Colts.com to enjoy the excitement of sharing thoughts with others about the team I have followed for 4 decades. Any poster who's continual purpose is to degrade the team, coaches, decisions, etc...is not what I came here for. In my world, the Colts fan who constantly disses the Colts, is no different than the Patriots fans who comes here and disses the Colts. They are no different in my books. 

I love the feature. One of my guilty pleasures was opening a thread that had 3 posters posting back and forth. Sixteen straight invisible posts. Curiosity got the best of me and I opened each one to see......yep! Now I just smile and move on. haha

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I love the feature. One of my guilty pleasures was opening a thread that had 3 posters posting back and forth. Sixteen straight invisible posts. Curiosity got the best of me and I opened each one to see......yep! Now I just smile and move on. haha

Thanks for the little nudge to use the feature more.

I'm up to 4 now.

Still have a list of few others.

On 6/2/2020 at 1:30 PM, EastStreet said:

Yup. Purely my opinion, but I think Blackmon  is more well rounded than Willis. I think Willis ends up the #3 guy, and the guy who plays Nickel or Dime S in some personnel packages. I'd be happy if they just let Willis play on run downs at SS, and Blackmon play SS during passing downs to start off.

Tell is an interesting project. He's got the body/speed of a tall CB but doesn't have the tackling physicality needed for SS. I could see him moved back to FS though. The experiment to CB last year might be over sooner than later. It's really his make or break year. If Rodes and Carrie do well at CB, they could move him back to S early.

Did you see Blackmon put that hit on the WR the first play when Utah was on D?

So what would you call the third safety in terms of traditional slotting?  SS #2 or FS #2?

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

So what would you call the third safety in terms of traditional slotting?  SS #2 or FS #2?

That's a nuanced question. First, how are you defining #3. Is it third "best", or projected third in snaps. In a base C2 D, I'd say it depends on your individual personnel skillsets, how often you use subpackages, how much do you use Ss as a big nickel or dime, etc..

Looking at our personnel....

Hooker - rangy FS best suited to lurk and cover, and a guy who might be better suited in a C1 D.

Blackmon - played in system that was uber "man", has a CB background (he struggled at CB though), and is much better tackling than in coverage (he can really lay the wood though).

Willis - Great nose for the ball, excels near the LOS, but struggles big time in coverage on the back end.

Based on that specific personnel, I see our talent depth chart (not actual depth chart)

FS - Hooker, Blackmon, Odum

SS - Blackmon, Willis

Nickel/Dime S - Willis, Blackmon

So all that said, I see Willis, who is a SS, as the #3.

I'm intruiged by Blackmon. I don't know much about him, but I know that our guys were excited to get him and they obviously know what they're doing. Last time we selected a defensive player that I thought we chose "too high", he was DROY and an All-Pro. That being said, I can't seem to find much of him at CB on YouTube. Was he that bad? Also, I'm not seeing much that convinces me he'll be a top FS, all I see is him out of position and getting mossed by guys like Mike Pittman lol. SS instincts seem to be there though. Basically, I know there's something in him that I'm just missing, what is it?

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

That's a nuanced question. First, how are you defining #3. Is it third "best", or projected third in snaps. In a base C2 D, I'd say it depends on your individual personnel skillsets, how often you use subpackages, how much do you use Ss as a big nickel or dime, etc..

Looking at our personnel....

Hooker - rangy FS best suited to lurk and cover, and a guy who might be better suited in a C1 D.

Blackmon - played in system that was uber "man", has a CB background (he struggled at CB though), and is much better tackling than in coverage (he can really lay the wood though).

Willis - Great nose for the ball, excels near the LOS, but struggles big time in coverage on the back end.

Based on that specific personnel, I see our talent depth chart (not actual depth chart)

FS - Hooker, Blackmon, Odum

SS - Blackmon, Willis

Nickel/Dime S - Willis, Blackmon

So all that said, I see Willis, who is a SS, as the #3.

I probably agree with you about Willis in a 3 S package.  He was a 4th round pick, and is probably the least physically talented of the three. 

I guess you would have to choose what the base defense is, like your starting defense, with packages coming in for different coverages.  Just like individual players, they may start, but the starter might not get the most PT given the offense of the opponent.

I'm not going to speak to Hooker specifically, because I don't know if he will be here after next year, and with Blackmon's knee, we really won't see Ballard's vision until the season after next.  So using names at this point might not be the best description of the safety position.

But I could see Blackmon on the field more than the other two safeties, who would be more specialty players; the "box" guy and the "deep" guy.  You would start Blackmon, with Willis or (Hooker type) playing opposite depending upon the opponent. (like against Henry you would start Willis and Blackmon).  Of course with nickel and dime packages all three could be in at the same time quite a bit.

I think there is a good chance that if Hooker leaves next season, Ballard will find a replacement with the intent that the player will not be playing as much as Hooker was asked too.  More of a specialty player to excel in cover 1.  Blackmon will be asked to be the playmaker because he will be in the games more than the other two, probably every snap.  JMO

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I probably agree with you about Willis in a 3 S package.  He was a 4th round pick, and is probably the least physically talented of the three. 

I guess you would have to choose what the base defense is, like your starting defense, with packages coming in for different coverages.  Just like individual players, they may start, but the starter might not get the most PT given the offense of the opponent.

I'm not going to speak to Hooker specifically, because I don't know if he will be here after next year, and with Blackmon's knee, we really won't see Ballard's vision until the season after next.  So using names at this point might not be the best description of the safety position.

But I could see Blackmon on the field more than the other two safeties, who would be more specialty players; the "box" guy and the "deep" guy.  You would start Blackmon, with Willis or (Hooker type) playing opposite depending upon the opponent. (like against Henry you would start Willis and Blackmon).  Of course with nickel and dime packages all three could be in at the same time quite a bit.

I think there is a good chance that if Hooker leaves next season, Ballard will find a replacement with the intent that the player will not be playing as much as Hooker was asked too.  More of a specialty player to excel in cover 1.  Blackmon will be asked to be the playmaker because he will be in the games more than the other two, probably every snap.  JMO

If Eberflus makes good this year, on last year's promise, we'll be seeing more man and/or C1. We sure didn't see it last year. If it happens though this year, Hooker will benefit big time. I'm in the camp that Hooker will have a very good year assuming our pass rush is improved, and he's allowed to lurk more. If that's the case, I think he'll be back. Regardless though, based on the games of Blackmon that I've watched, I'm not comfortable at all with him at FS. Having him and Willis playing the majority of snaps will get us burnt intermediate and deep. JMO

On 6/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, Rackeen305 said:

Dan Marino while one heck of a QB, Is 1B, to PM, 1A. All I'm saying is if Colts as a team are not making a deep playoff run, then Colts have more question marks than answers. What's gonna happen is the same as when PM was here, be complacent with divisional titles. You don't see Pats/Chiefs enamoured with division titles.

BTW, for clarity sake, I come from a football program UM where it's national championship or bust every year. And all the great programs ala Clemson, Ohio State (they owe us 1 ring) has the same goal.

Miami hasn't had fewer than 3 losses in a season in 17 years. Averaged over 5 losses per year. Sure it's not bowl game or bust? 

On 6/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, Rackeen305 said:

Miami hasn't had fewer than 3 losses in a season in 17 years. Averaged over 5 losses per year. Sure it's not bowl game or bust? 

22 hours ago, wig said:

You must be new. The University of Miami hasn't been the same since being hit with NCAA violations/scholarships taken away, and Bowl games taken away in the early 2000s due to a rogue "sponsor". So yes, winning like it's no one's business is what we are used to spanning since the 80s. 

The U has 5 should've been 6 National championship rings (you're welcome Ohio St.) Within 20 or so years. 

Not 5 rings in 50 - 100 years like some other programs who has more.

So yes, here at the U it's national championship or nothing. Ask any UM player or fan. Second place isn't accepted, nor celebrated.

Just so you won't ever forget it. In the words of the "playmaker" Michael Irvin, "It's all about the U".

23 hours ago, wig said:

Bowl game? Huhhhh. The U rejects all Bowl game invitations. I never EVER said anything about bowl game or bust.

You got to be kidding yourself! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS or NOTHING! - The U

have some respect for yourself. You're taking about bowl game? Bowl Game? This reporter must be talking about FSU or Gators. Not The U!

Archived