Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
AZColt11

The Colts Defense Will Be Worse In 2020

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Any competent QB could carve up our soft zone given how bad our pass rush was. I agree, our O will help our D a bunch. I also think we could see less-soft zone from our DBs now.

Yeah, Tampa works best when you have a strong front and or an offense that can score early and often.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'd love to see them resign Desir (and Geathers) later once he has time to test the water

Desir plays for the Jets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, w87r said:

Desir plays for the Jets.

I keep forgetting they gave him 5+ in guaranteed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I keep forgetting they gave him 5+ in guaranteed...

Wonder if Woody Johnson has any horses? He sure loves him some Colts.

 

I guess his son has been running the organization in his a sense. So maybe woody doesn't like Colts at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, w87r said:

Wonder if Woody Johnson has any horses? He sure loves him some Colts.

 

I guess his son has been running the organization in his a sense. So maybe woody doesn't like Colts at all?

I think his brother Chris is actually running things now since Woody is the UK Ambassador. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think his brother Chris is actually running things now since Woody is the UK Ambassador. 

You're right, I knew it was Chris, was jist thinking it was woodys son for a moment.

 

Woody is suppose to be back this year though, I think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, w87r said:

You're right, I knew it was Chris, was jist thinking it was woodys son for a moment.

 

Woody is suppose to be back this year though, I think?

No expiration on the position. Not sure if he has a planned or pre-negotiated expiration. Election obviously could impact his status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No expiration on the position. Not sure if he has a planned or pre-negotiated expiration. Election obviously could impact his status.

Who knows, but this is what I saw.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/woody-johnson-return-jets-november-2020/

 

"I was told that the word inside the league is that Woody Johnson is expected to return to the Jets in November of 2020, regardless of the results of the Presidential election."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, w87r said:

Who knows, but this is what I saw.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/woody-johnson-return-jets-november-2020/

 

"I was told that the word inside the league is that Woody Johnson is expected to return to the Jets in November of 2020, regardless of the results of the Presidential election."

I'm not sure why anyone as rich as Woody would want to go put up with silly bull dooky politics in cold and rainy UK... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 1:22 PM, 07dleigh said:

 

Man, doesn't a Clowney or Griffen signing sound like such a "icing on the cake" or "mission complete" move for us, considering our complete switch to contend now mode? For a while I was confident one would happen. Ship has sailed on Clowney it seems, I wonder if we ever inquired about Griffen.


Ive never liked Clowney.  Good player but he has never been great. If Luck was still our QB I would see the value more. I’m not sold on Rivers but that’s a different topic. 
 

 I would rather roll with our young guys and see what they have.  Houston, Buckner and Autry are veterans and can lead the defensive line.  Lewis and Turray need to stay on the field and fill the other DE spot.  I can see Lewis playing the early down role and Turray being a passing down specialist.  Will keep both fresh and hopefully healthy so they can get the reps they need to become 3 down players. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:


Ive never liked Clowney.  Good player but he has never been great. If Luck was still our QB I would see the value more. I’m not sold on Rivers but that’s a different topic. 
 

 I would rather roll with our young guys and see what they have.  Houston, Buckner and Autry are veterans and can lead the defensive line.  Lewis and Turray need to stay on the field and fill the other DE spot.  I can see Lewis playing the early down role and Turray being a passing down specialist.  Will keep both fresh and hopefully healthy so they can get the reps they need to become 3 down players. 

Don't forget about Banogu 

 

Definitely need to let these young guys roll and see what we have. Of course need to stay on the field also.

 

Wouldn't be upset if we brought Griffin or Clowney in. I think we can compete for it all this season, but I don't see it as a necessity, to do so.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, w87r said:

Don't forget about Banogu 

 

Definitely need to let these young guys roll and see what we have. Of course need to stay on the field also.

 

Wouldn't be upset if we brought Griffin or Clowney in. I think we can compete for it all this season, but I don't see it as a necessity, to do so.

 


You are right.  We have three guys that need playing time. I think it’s best for the team to start letting these guys play.  I believe both Autry and Houston will be free agents next year. Actually, I think half of the team will be free agents.  Time for young guys to step up so we know who to build around.  This is the year that happens. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On paper, our defense is easily improved. However, we will need to see how this plays out on the field. Our CB position leaves a lot to be desired. The scheme is also easy to prepare for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts defense needs javedeon clowney if Justin Houston misses any time all we got is kemko turay who has been very injury prone and still relatively unproven and liability against the run and Ben bangou who did flash but unproven.I know it's huge mistake by front office not addressing this need.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mikek18 said:

Colts defense needs javedeon clowney if Justin Houston misses any time all we got is kemko turay who has been very injury prone and still relatively unproven and liability against the run and Ben bangou who did flash but unproven.I know it's huge mistake by front office not addressing this need.

Getting Houston was addressing that need. 
 

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 1:22 PM, 07dleigh said:

 

Man, doesn't a Clowney or Griffen signing sound like such a "icing on the cake" or "mission complete" move for us, considering our complete switch to contend now mode? For a while I was confident one would happen. Ship has sailed on Clowney it seems, I wonder if we ever inquired about Griffen.

This fan base doesn't want talented players. It was a stretch and an act of God that Colts landed Rhodes. Colts fan base want guys like Angerer, Jackie Doyle, kinda guys. Win or lose.

 

They don't want guys like Clowney, Hunter, and for some God forsaken reason, don't want Malik. They want Jackie Doyle at FS. Lol

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

This fan base doesn't want talented players. It was a stretch and an act of God that Colts landed Rhodes. Colts fan base want guys like Angerer, Jackie Doyle, kinda guys. Win or lose.

 

They don't want guys like Clowney, Hunter, and for some God forsaken reason, don't want Malik. They want Jackie Doyle at FS. Lol

We have had tons of talented players. We even traded for Eric Dickerson back in 1987 who some say he was about the money. Peyton, Luck, Rivers - all talented QB's. Marvin, Reggie, TY - all talented WR's.  Freeney, Mathis, Buckner - all talented D.Lineman. I can go on and on. Ballard looks for talent and great character. We would never sign someone like Antonio Brown and I am glad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

This fan base doesn't want talented players. It was a stretch and an act of God that Colts landed Rhodes. Colts fan base want guys like Angerer, Jackie Doyle, kinda guys. Win or lose.

 

They don't want guys like Clowney, Hunter, and for some God forsaken reason, don't want Malik. They want Jackie Doyle at FS. Lol

 

Dear God - what an impossibly clueless post.  Par for your course.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 4:34 AM, TheNextGM said:

Bold Prediction - Colts finish with a top 5 D.


Our style of D still doesn’t lend itself to many turnovers thus minimizing defensive scoring, IMO. I can see more 3 and outs/punts forced and a Top 10 D possibility but Top 5 D, I don’t see it right off the bat. 

 

Top 10 offense however, I can see it more likely if the QB levels of play go up like expected and high floor of OL remains.

 

Top 10 O and Top 10 D, we’re winning the division if both happen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d love to have Clowney.... and I’m a big believer in the high character players the Colts have targeted recently. But with the uncertainty over what the salary cap will look like next year, and the multiple free agents the Colts need to sign, it makes sense to be cautious. If they could get him on a one year affordable deal, heck yeah. But I suspect Clowney will hold out for a better deal than that....which is why Clowney and the Colts are not the best fit. Gonna have to roll with J. Houston and the kids. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alot of Jackie Doyle Supporters. interesting. At least we got another TE though. To add with Mo Allie-Cox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say I'm super insulted by the idea that we'll be worse...My guess is we'll be much better in TOP so our ranking might be better, but...

 

I think we'll hold up pretty well against the run, have a decent pass rush, and in Eberflus I trust, but unless Rhodes shows up to camp in a time machine from 2016, there's no part of the secondary i feel good about. I'm not saying it'll be bad necessarily, but everyone has a lot to prove

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 10:33 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have had tons of talented players. We even traded for Eric Dickerson back in 1987 who some say he was about the money. Peyton, Luck, Rivers - all talented QB's. Marvin, Reggie, TY - all talented WR's.  Freeney, Mathis, Buckner - all talented D.Lineman. I can go on and on. Ballard looks for talent and great character. We would never sign someone like Antonio Brown and I am glad.

Don’t feed the troll.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jlid said:

My guess is we'll be much better in TOP so our ranking might be better

 

^This^

 

I think our offense is going to help make our defense look better simply by possessing the ball longer and providing the opposing offense fewer possessions.  That should inherently mean fewer yds and points allowed.

 

I think the real measuring stick for this defense will be impact plays like sacks and turnovers.  Can our defense stop an opponents' drive before it gets going, or will it let the opposing offense dink-n-dunk down the field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 7:37 AM, RollerColt said:

Getting Houston was addressing that need. 
 

Welcome to the forum by the way!

I'm talking about this season not last season if Houston misses anytime at all I don't trust turay to stay healthy and bangou needs to make a huge leap to be decent.The defense needs another proven defensive end.:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't listen to much to those analyst that just want to put their opinion out there so they can get paid, the Colts are much improved all around.  Just hope that Flus improves from last year too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On paper the Colts are a lot better right now then they were at the end of last season. The only way this defense is worse is if they get hit with a ton of injuries. Talent wise, this defense is looking pretty darn good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikek18 said:

I'm talking about this season not last season if Houston misses anytime at all I don't trust turay to stay healthy and bangou needs to make a huge leap to be decent.The defense needs another proven defensive end.:)

I agree we want Houston and Turay to stay healthy and for Banogu to kick it up a notch. However, both Autry and Lewis have had success at the DE position, so there's some pretty decent depth to rely on if needed.

 

In addition, considering what Buckner's impact on the entire defense will be (huge!), we really aren't hurting at the DE position. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikek18 said:

I'm talking about this season not last season if Houston misses anytime at all I don't trust turay to stay healthy and bangou needs to make a huge leap to be decent.The defense needs another proven defensive end.:)

Just wanted to give you a like. Welcome to the forum.

 

Definitely hoping for health, but we are 5-6 deep at DE, with Autry/Lewis/Muhammed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dogg63 said:

I agree we want Houston and Turay to stay healthy and for Banogu to kick it up a notch. However, both Autry and Lewis have had success at the DE position, so there's some pretty decent depth to rely on if needed.

 

In addition, considering what Buckner's impact on the entire defense will be (huge!), we really aren't hurting at the DE position. 

Both of those players are middling at best,autry was aight his first year here but play dropped off last year id rather have clowney on opposite side Houston with turay and bangou rotating to keep them fresh and turay would make a good spot starter if either Clowney or Houston went down.Sign Clowney to an incentive based contract with nothing guaranteed after this year 2/25mill with another 10 mill in performance based pay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Just wanted to give you a like. Welcome to the forum.

 

Definitely hoping for health, but we are 5-6 deep at DE, with Autry/Lewis/Muhammed

Forgot about Muhammed I like him better as a pass rusher than Autry and Lewis but ideally as depth piece not developmental he's maxed out what God gave him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mikek18 said:

Forgot about Muhammed I like him better as a pass rusher than Autry and Lewis but ideally as depth piece not developmental he's maxed out what God gave him

Yeah, strictly depth piece. Just saying if we have an injury we are not as thin at DE, as you initially were thinking.

 

Autry and Lewis would play more end on rushing downs in their rotation. Moving next to Buckner on passing down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't see us taking a step back. More depth and better players will help to keep guys healthy. Front lines can make a weaker secondary look good. We should have a nice trickle down effect. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 10:46 AM, PrincetonTiger said:

@2006Coltsbestever @jskinnz

     Unlike some teams the Colts want Talent and the right attitude 

Then get beat buy the teams that want attitude. BTW CB stated that he wants a different knid if locker room. Guys who aren't necessarily choir boys. That's why he mentioned the locker room being mature to handle it. Listen, I'm not here for popular opinion. 

 

Popular opinion says not to mention anything happening socially in the USA. I'm just glad the Colts org made some kind of mention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 7:28 AM, Rackeen305 said:

This fan base doesn't want talented players. It was a stretch and an act of God that Colts landed Rhodes. Colts fan base want guys like Angerer, Jackie Doyle, kinda guys. Win or lose.

 

They don't want guys like Clowney, Hunter, and for some God forsaken reason, don't want Malik. They want Jackie Doyle at FS. Lol

Damn! a Angerer reference!, it's been almost a decade, how is he even popping into any one's mind in 2020? the franchise has always been a home grown,one game at a time,put the pants on one leg at a time, build thru the draft organization. Freeney, Mathis, Sanders, Wayne, Harrison, James, Luck, Manning, Hilton, Clark, Doyle,Kelly, Nelson, Leonard,Hooker,etc,,now  it worked under Polian, Grigson started well with the first draft, fell apart afterwards. sometimes they sign older guys, Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Cornelius Bennett, Devin Funchess, Antonio Cromartie,Justin Houston,etc.. sometimes they are way past their prime, sometimes injuries derail the signing. to say the fan base doesn't want talented players is hyperbole. they don't want players who are on IR half the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...