Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Simms top 40 QB list

WoolMagnet

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

so according to Chris Simms list of the top 40 QBs going into the season, we apparently have 3 of the top 40.

#4:  Andrew Luck 

#12: Phillip Rivers

#31: Jacoby Brissett

Anyone else confused

kinda, but also kinda not. Andrew Luck is top 5 if he would come back tomorrow. 

But, I’m not sure why you would list him, because... he ain’t comin back.

45 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

so according to Chris Simms list of the top 40 QBs going into the season, we apparently have 3 of the top 40.

Anyone else confused

Yeah, it’s weird to put Andrew there. 

50 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Jacoby too high.  I know Simms had Tua at 40.  I’d take Tua over Jacoby.  In fact, I’d wager 99.9% of the football community would. 

Everyone would. That doesn't mean he is a better QB than JB at this moment.

The guy is recovering from dislocated hip. Have to see him in action.

Definitely shouldn't have Luck listed. So I guess Rivers moves to 11, JB to 30 and Tua to 39.

1 hour ago, Nate! said:

Jacoby too high.  I know Simms had Tua at 40.  I’d take Tua over Jacoby.  In fact, I’d wager 99.9% of the football community would. 

This is probably for this coming season only. It's only natural for a 5 year vet with experience starting in the league to be more highly ranked than a rookie who might or might not play this year. I would take Tua over Jacoby long-term too, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think Jacoby might give you better chance to win now. 

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Anyone else confused

Out of curiosity, who were the top 3?

It makes more sense when we realize what's happening. Simms put out his Top 40 list last season. That list had QBs ranked 1 through 40.

This year he is slowly revealing his NEW list, but he's only revealed numbers 39 (Haskins) and 40 (Tua) so far.

The rest of the list (numbers 1 through 38) is still showing who he had listed for last season.

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Anyone else confused

Obviously when Simms played the players weren't protected from concussions like they are today. :D

1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

It makes more sense when we realize what's happening. Simms put out his Top 40 list last season. That list had QBs ranked 1 through 40.

This year he is slowly revealing his NEW list, but he's only revealed numbers 39 (Haskins) and 40 (Tua) so far.

The rest of the list (numbers 1 through 38) is still showing who he had listed for last season.

Thanks.  That explains things.

6 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Makes more sense.

still odd to have last years on “same” list.... kinda

6 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Do you have a link?

I think you might have seen last year’s countdown...because he just started this year’s countdown today...and is currently only at #38.

I dont have link.  It was a visual they put up today on pro football talk  show.

6 hours ago, Nate! said:

Tua would give a team a better chance to win right now than Jacoby 

A rookie with no NFL experience and serious injury concerns, who is currently hurt, gives you a better chance to win right now than the guy who came in to back up Luck and went .500 in his starts.

OK then. 

I know there's a certain frustration with Brissett because of how the second half went but that's absolutely insane.

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

A rookie with no NFL experience and serious injury concerns, who is currently hurt, gives you a better chance to win right now than the guy who came in to back up Luck and went .500 in his starts.

OK then. 

I know there's a certain frustration with Brissett because of how the second half went but that's absolutely insane.

Tua is not injured hes cleared to play if they want him to

i think he will be a good starter and not a backup caliber player, but thats just me

I think Tua will be an excellent starter, but the question is who's the better starter right now.  It's a practical tautology that the only guy to win NFL games gives you a better chance right now to win NFL games.

There is a tendency to just assume that prospects will pan out,, and that there's no room for high floor players like Brissett.  We just saw firsthand that that's not remotely the case, but the delusion persists.

And there's a big difference between not being injured and not being hurt.  Lower body injuries like the one Tua suffered don't ever really seem to go all the way away.  That kind of injury has killed plenty of other QB prospects, which adds to the risk a team is taking if they hand the reins to Tua before he proved he can be effective despite the pain and loss of mobility.

Any list that has Brissett is a bad list.  Also why even go past the total number of teams and rank backups who you rarely see against starters?  And on top of that it's bad enough that it's Simms writing this stuff.

Of all the media outlets I feel like NBC has the worst analysts and general football knowledge.  And Simms is a big part of that.

For the Colts there are two things in play this year...

First, how well can Rivers perform with all the pieces around him.  He's got an above average group across the board.  I would think pretty well is the answer but age is undefeated and he's got other competing interests now.  Even if he performs well and we see a deep playoff run what then?  He is obviously a short term answer.

Second, does Eason have the right stuff to be considered as the QB of the future.  Honestly the team doesn't know the answer to this right now.  They took a shot on a guy they liked, now will get a full year look at him to see how hard he works, how he leads, and whether he can process quickly enough.  

Those two things need to be answered this year and the good thing here is with Reich and his offensive coaches I would think they will evaluate them well.

6 minutes ago, Riversrun said:

Rivers will be top 5 as follows 1 mahomes 2 kid on Ravens 3 Brady 4  Rivers 5 kid in Seattle 

Be surprised if Rivers is top 10, tbh.

Now if we are talking about after the season, I think he will be top 10. Probably be right in that 10-15 range to start, I would guess.

19 hours ago, Riversrun said:

Rivers will be top 5 as follows 1 mahomes 2 kid on Ravens 3 Brady 4  Rivers 5 kid in Seattle 

Brady could be top 5, or he could be injured halfway through the season from Arians’ offensive scheme. 

Definitely see Mahomes and Jackson as 1 and 2 though. 

On 5/26/2020 at 9:19 AM, Nate! said:

Tua would give a team a better chance to win right now than Jacoby 

On 5/27/2020 at 3:29 PM, lennymoore24 said:

1) Andrew Luck

2) Philip Rivers

3) Chad Kelly

4) Jacob Eason

40) Jacoby Brissett

On 5/26/2020 at 4:23 PM, aaron11 said:

i had never heard of chris simms before this thread

On 5/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, Boondoggle said:

Any list that has Brissett is a bad list.

Only on Colts.com.....

36 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Only on Colts.com.....

I had to google who chis simms is.  career backup that got benched a lot, why should i have heard of him?

Tua being better isnt crazy at all either, you know who he is right?  he is not injured

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I had to google who chis simms is.  career backup that got benched a lot, why should i have heard of him?

Tua being better isnt crazy at all either, you know who he is right?  he is not injured

Most people know who Chris Simms is simply because his father is Phil Simms. Phil has talked about him a lot on CBS broadcasts during games even. You have 32 starters in the NFL, so Brissett being rated 33rd for example isn't far fetched because he is a great backup. I can see Rivers around 10th or so, 10-12 in that area anyway.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most people know who Chris Simms is simply because his father is Phil Simms. Phil has talked about him a lot on CBS broadcasts during games even. You have 32 starters in the NFL, so Brissett being rated 33rd isn't far fetched because he is a great backup. I can see Rivers around 10th or so, 10-12 in that area anyway.

A mediocre backup.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most people know who Chris Simms is simply because his father is Phil Simms. Phil has talked about him a lot on CBS broadcasts during games even. You have 32 starters in the NFL, so Brissett being rated 33rd for example isn't far fetched because he is a great backup. I can see Rivers around 10th or so, 10-12 in that area anyway.

I agree

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

i figured he was related to phil but i made i still made it this far having never heard of chris.  googled him and his career didnt look note worthy 

Phil is obviously well known and knowledgeable, i just dont like his voice lol.  he is so monotone it brings down the excitement of watching a game for me

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some people here on colts.com would have Brissett rated 50th. The hate that man gets by a few here is comical. 

This is not true. Everyone has Brissett as a top 40 QB or top backup here. We just hated how Kelly wasn't given a chance when Brissett was injured and the league figured him out. The only people oblivious to this were Reich, Ballard, and certain posters here who think Reich and Ballard always make the correct decision.

Brissett is a good backup, I'll give him that. That's all he is though.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is not true. Everyone has Brissett as a top 40 QB or top backup here. We just hated how Kelly wasn't given a chance when Brissett was injured and the league figured him out. The only people oblivious to this were Reich, Ballard, and certain posters here who think Reich and Ballard always make the correct decision.

Brissett is a good backup, I'll give him that. That's all he is though.

Please use the proper pronouns 

There are some here that have posted that JB is not a top 100 QB in the league and there are others like me who had no problem with the way CK was handled

hold up stop GIF

Archived