Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South Discussion Thread

danlhart87

Give your thoughts and predictions below.

I believe the Colts have improved tremendously and are poised to take the next step.

I don't expect much from the Jaguars record wise and wouldn't be shocked if they are in the running for Trevor Lawrence Justin Fields or Trey Lance.

Texans shifted a lot of players but I think losing Hopkins will truly hurt Watson's development but Texans will pull off some upsets. I expect 3 wins before bye tops.

Titans coaching will get them far but don't expect a repeat performance from Tannehill like last year.

Here's my predictions 

1. Colts

2. Texans  

3. Titans 

4. Jaguars 

I think the Colts added the most talent and are the gaining the most value with an extra year of development from all our young players (especially on defense). Rivers with our OLine and a strongly improved rushing attack and improved D-Line play are both huge areas of improvement. I think we're primed for the 3 seed in the AFC and about 10 or 11 wins. 

Texans really lost a strong dimension to their offense without the Hopkins-Watson combo. Their O will be abysmal in comparison to last year as soon as Will Fuller gets injured (aka week 3 lol). I wouldn't be shocked if they could pull together some close games and win maybe 9 games but I think if they don't have any early season momentum they'll end up in the 7-8 win area. 

Titans are really just banking on the same dominance physically and schematically, which probably checks out against most teams in the AFC (with the exception of the Ravens and Colts both adding dominant interior DL pieces). I think Tannehil can keep up his really great play with another year in that system as long as the rushing attack continues to be strong. 

Jaguars are really just lacking talent across the board at this point, I really wouldn't be surprised if they tried to tank a bit next year. 

1. Colts 11-5 

2. Titans 10-6 

3. Texans 7-9 

4. Jaguars 3-13 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Colts 10-6 * will have tiebreaker over the Titans

2. Titans 10-6

3. Texans 9-7

4. Jags 5-11

I agree. Tough division with the exception of the Jags. Though I expect the Colts to surge late and be a serious competitor in the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, RollerColt said:

1. Colts 12-4

2. Titans 10-6

3. Texans 8-8

4. Jaguars 5-11

Our division isn’t the cupcake division from years before. Even the Jaguars can tango with good teams. Their defense shouldn’t be taken lightly. 

I agree with what you say about the South with the exception of the Jaguars. I really do believe they're going to be abysmal this year, there is just a lack of talent across the board. That defense is nothing similar to the 2017 or even 2018 teams - if they're going to be competitive they can't trade Fournette (which they're rumoured to be looking at doing), and they're going to be counting on numerous rookies (Chaission, Henderson) to fill MASSIVE shoes (no more Ramsey, Smith, Bouye, Campbell, Ngokoue, Church, Gipson - all gone). Unless somebody is on the Minshew mania train I can't really understand why people still credit their current defense. 

4 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

I agree with what you say about the South with the exception of the Jaguars. I really do believe they're going to be abysmal this year, there is just a lack of talent across the board. That defense is nothing similar to the 2017 or even 2018 teams - if they're going to be competitive they can't trade Fournette (which they're rumoured to be looking at doing), and they're going to be counting on numerous rookies (Chaission, Henderson) to fill MASSIVE shoes (no more Ramsey, Smith, Bouye, Campbell, Ngokoue, Church, Gipson - all gone). Unless somebody is on the Minshew mania train I can't really understand why people still credit their current defense. 

Mainly because the Jags always find a way to steal a few wins from superior opponents. 

Easy division for the Colts IMO, club is looking at 12-4 with a swing of a game either way 13-3 to 11-5. 

Jags are a total train wreck and their best players want out. Minshew isnt a starting caliber QB we will see Mike Glennon before game 4 so that tells us all we need to know, 2-14 year and fight Pats for #1 overall pick. 

Texans take a huge step back without Hopkins , not sure what they were thinking even if they felt he was a cancer in the locker room as reports say they could have gotten much more in return, 5-11 maybe 6-10. 

Titans are physical but dont scare anyone because you know what they are going to do week in and week out, I think Tannehill regresses some but not as far as his Miami days. 8-8 maybe 9-7 for them.

You guys sure are high on Rivers. He looked awful last year with a loaded team. He will continue to be a turnover machine I am afraid. Would not be surprised to see him benched at some point for Jacoby.  The South is still Houston's division to lose with Tenn nipping at them.

Houston

Tenn

Colts

Jags

39 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

You guys sure are high on Rivers. He looked awful last year with a loaded team. He will continue to be a turnover machine I am afraid. Would not be surprised to see him benched at some point for Jacoby.  The South is still Houston's division to lose with Tenn nipping at them.

I guess you didn't watch any of the Chargers games last season? 

Yes the Chargers had a couple of good skill players but that offensive line was putrid. Not my interpretation of a loaded team. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess you didn't watch any of the Chargers games last season? 

Yes the Chargers had a couple of good skill players but that offensive line was putrid. Not my interpretation of a loaded team. 

Yes, Oline not good. But Rivers was awful. He was Jameis Winston awful. I think the wheels have come off at this point. Although, I do like him paired with Reich. 

17 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Yes, Oline not good. But Rivers was awful. He was Jameis Winston awful. I think the wheels have come off at this point. Although, I do like him paired with Reich. 

I guess him throwing for 4,615 yards and 84 first downs say that he is not as bad as you advertise him to be. 

The only number that was bad was the interceptions. If you take a look at those you will see that a lot of those picks came from Rivers trying to play catch up. 

You say the Chargers were loaded? I guess you forgot the non existent running game? 

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess him throwing for 4,615 yards and 84 first downs say that he is not as bad as you advertise him to be. 

The only number that was bad was the interceptions. If you take a look at those you will see that a lot of those picks came from Rivers trying to play catch up. 

You say the Chargers were loaded? I guess you forgot the non existent running game? 

He had 20 INTs and 8 fumbles. The only QB worse was Winston. It really does not matter what yards you put up if you turn it over that many times. Any comebacks he had to lead was because of his own TOs.

3 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

He had 20 INTs and 8 fumbles. The only QB worse was Winston. It really does not matter what yards you put up if you turn it over that many times. Any comebacks he had to lead was because of his own TOs.

You can spin numbers however you want to.

Bottom line Rivers had to try and put the team on his back and play hero ball last year.

In Indianapolis, he will be able to manage the game, and not rely on his arm only to try and win games.

He can hand the ball off and let our line bully the other team, then hit em over the top when they commit to much.

Rivers has plenty of game left, I suggest you get behind him and throw a little support his way. If your hope is Brissett replaces him, then good luck.

9 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Like I said, you didn't watch any of the Charger games did you? 

If you had you wouldn't have just made that comment. 

We beat the Jags 33-13 Week 11 while still fighting for the Playoffs I'll take that 100 times out of 100, if that isnt so good not sure what in the world is. The 2nd game was the season finale with both teams long eliminated with zero impact except draft position increasing for the losing squad. Since then one team has improved their talent and the other has lost more than they have gained. Cant see this being anything other than a sweep, especially since the road game in Jacksonville is week 1, even better for the men in Blue and White.

On 5/25/2020 at 10:25 AM, FortheWin said:

Houston

Tenn

Colts

Jags

The reason the giants beat brady in the SB both times is because they rushed the passer. 

Dont be shocked to see Rivers do well behind a line that runs first, and stops the pass rush when he rarely does throw. 

I'm calling it now. Colts will have number 1 rushing offense in the NFL. Rivers shouldnt really have to do much if anything at all. 

On 6/2/2020 at 8:00 AM, ColtJax said:

Titans will go 10-6 or 11-5

Texan's lost a lot of lock room, they fall to 8-8

Colts will struggle, Rivers is over his prime and the defense is suspect.. 7-9

Jags are tanking, they want the #1 pick- 4-12

They went 7 - 9 already and the D got better.  That's 8 - 8 at the worst.

I still say 10 - 6.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:00 AM, ColtJax said:

Titans will go 10-6 or 11-5

Texan's lost a lot of lock room, they fall to 8-8

Colts will struggle, Rivers is over his prime and the defense is suspect.. 7-9

Jags are tanking, they want the #1 pick- 4-12

Colts will go 10-6 assuming everyone stays healthy, JMO.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts will go 10-6 assuming everyone stays healthy, JMO.

I agree, we may even go 11-5.

Jaguars will be in the trevor lawrence sweepstakes.

Titans are our main competition and have a very underrated defense.

Texans are interesting. I believe this is their last year of contending for a while. Hopkins, Clowney, and soon Watt will be gone. I believe Fuller is a FA soon as well. That's 4 first round picks. No first round pick this year or next year. Make that possibly 6 from 2011-2021.

They will have to pay Watson as well. Bye bye salary cap.  Bottom line, they will soon be the 2012 Colts with the Grigson damage (or BOB), already done. One more year.

Colts 11-5

Titans 9-7

Texans 9-7

Jags 4-12

Competitive division that falls off a bit next year.

On 5/31/2020 at 7:13 PM, NannyMcafee said:

I'm calling it now. Colts will have number 1 rushing offense in the NFL. Rivers shouldnt really have to do much if anything at all. 

I might be on board with that, but I think we'll see allot of passes to RB's, especially Hines.   Those yards will go in the book as passing yards, so the running game may not reach the tops in the NFL.   

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I might be on board with that, but I think we'll see allot of passes to RB's, especially Hines.   Those yards will go in the book as passing yards, so the running game may not reach the tops in the NFL.   

Yeah but Frank always wanted a top 5 rushing attack, and with two elite RBs it makes it hard for me to see them not running. Especially if its working like it did, and Nelson says keep going like he has in the past. 

On 5/25/2020 at 1:14 PM, w87r said:

You can spin numbers however you want to.

Bottom line Rivers had to try and put the team on his back and play hero ball last year.

In Indianapolis, he will be able to manage the game, and not rely on his arm only to try and win games.

He can hand the ball off and let our line bully the other team, then hit em over the top when they commit to much.

Rivers has plenty of game left, I suggest you get behind him and throw a little support his way. If your hope is Brissett replaces him, then good luck.

Our Defense is not great so Rivers may have to bring us from behind to win games. Just handing the ball off and winning games DID NOT WORK last season as we  lost like 5 out of our last 6 games with a conservative offense due to Brissets lack of passing skill. 

Rivers passing should certainly be much better than Brisset but he is old, immobile and coming off a bad season at a advanced age.

Still I like him leading us a lot more than Brisset.

16 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Our Defense is not great so Rivers may have to bring us from behind to win games. Just handing the ball off and winning games DID NOT WORK last season as we  lost like 5 out of our last 6 games with a conservative offense due to Brissets lack of passing skill. 

Rivers passing should certainly be much better than Brisset but he is old, immobile and coming off a bad season at a advanced age.

I agree

It wasn't just about the defense. Chargers had essentially no run game last year. Ranked 28th in NFL.

So he doesn't have to rely on his arm as much. It will definitely still will be needed.

In contrast Colts were 7th in NFL in rushing O, and I fully espect that to imorove this year.

10 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Yeah but Frank always wanted a top 5 rushing attack, and with two elite RBs it makes it hard for me to see them not running. Especially if its working like it did, and Nelson says keep going like he has in the past. 

I think a top 5 rushing attack could be in the cards.  Tops in the NFL, I don't see it.  We'd have to pick up 70+ yards per game against the Ravens.   Add in the passes to RB's (Hines) in the backfield and I think we'll see something like 150 rushing yards per game and 230 yards passing.  That would be a great offense. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think a top 5 rushing attack could be in the cards.  Tops in the NFL, I don't see it.  We'd have to pick up 70+ yards per game against the Ravens.   Add in the passes to RB's (Hines) in the backfield and I think we'll see something like 150 rushing yards per game and 230 yards passing.  That would be a great offense. 

It might be a bold prediction but that's what makes it fun. Realistically I see top 3, an improvement upon last year. 

Texans ready to collapse any second; 3 key losses with no replacements:

Clowney

DJ Reader

Deandre Hopkins

Three key impact players with no replacements. Also JJ Watt will be 31 when the season starts and he has had some injuries the past few years.

On 5/25/2020 at 1:13 PM, danlhart87 said:

Having a top quality OL should limit the interceptions. 

I expect 3500 20 14 stat line

we will be running a lot so expect rivers tds to be around 20 to 25.

Honestly he shouldn’t have that less lol rivers airs it out regardless play action will be killer

On 6/5/2020 at 4:07 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I agree with this. I think Rivers is pretty much washed. His decision making was horrible last year from start to finish.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived