Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
AustexColt

We will be a Run Team First

Teams will have to stop the run, first. The rest is left for Rivers to read and throw to the open man.  We will struggle in the beginning but once we get it in the groove... we are off to the races.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Teams will have to stop the run, first. The rest is left for Rivers to read and throw to the open man.  We will struggle in the beginning but once we get it in the groove... we are off to the races.

I actually do not see us struggling at all in the beginning with the way our schedule is laid out. Regarding your post I agree, we will be a run first offense but do not tell that to the people who think if a QB doesn't for 300 yards a game he isn't the reason why we are winning. Can't wait to see how critical people are of Rivers when he throws for like only 200 yards in a game but we win because we ran the ball effectively. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As long as the big 5 do their job up front as advertise we'll be up there at the top in the run game.

Heck yeah about time!!   We get this D into the top 10 and we will have the team everyone has been begging a long time for.

• Like 1

Simply my opinion, but we will throw more than run (% wise). Only 2 teams last year were truly run first (ran more than passed - Balt and SF)

Pass %

2018 - 61.6% (9th)

2019 - 53.64% (28th)

2020 prediction... 58.5% (16th ish) and great balance.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Simply my opinion, but we will throw more than run (% wise). Only 2 teams last year were truly run first (ran more than passed - Balt and SF)

Pass %

2018 - 61.6% (9th)

2019 - 53.64% (28th)

And Baltimore was mainly because Jackson was off to the races more often than not. 

So the 49ers were the only team where the running back was the show (unless you count Lamar as a running back! :peek: )

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

And Baltimore was mainly because Jackson was off to the races more often than not. 

So the 49ers were the only team where the running back was the show (unless you count Lamar as a running back! :peek: )

LJ to me is a running back that can pass. He did improve passing a bit, so perhaps this year he'll be a QB that can run.

• Confused 1

Just now, EastStreet said:

LJ to me is a running back that can pass. He did improve passing a bit, so perhaps this year he'll be a QB that can run.

Yep, if he wants to lengthen his career he’s gotta move towards passing. Even the mighty Cam Newton killed his career with all his running. It’s stunning and flashy when they can juke players, but then it’s all over after 5-6 years.

Of course, from a business standpoint I guess it’s a pretty sweet deal. You get all the benefits of a superstar in their rookie contracts, and then when they get injured you simply dump them off for the next running QB. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yep, if he wants to lengthen his career he’s gotta move towards passing. Even the mighty Cam Newton killed his career with all his running. It’s stunning and flashy when they can juke players, but then it’s all over after 5-6 years.

Of course, from a business standpoint I guess it’s a pretty sweet deal. You get all the benefits of a superstar in their rookie contracts, and then when they get injured you simply dump them off for the next running QB. 

Yup. He's running as much as a lot of starting RBs. And he's not just running, he's running violently. Fun to watch, but it's likely only a matter of time before he gets injured. And even a minor injury to the leg will limit him a ton.

• Like 1

I know this is going to sound like one of those "that will never happen" things to a lot of people, but with all the money that teams, and the league collectively, have invested in the new superstar quarterbacks, given how almost all of them play the position now, I think it's just a matter of time before the rules are changed to prevent them from being hit even while running the ball. I'm not sure what that will mean or look like, but I truly believe something will be implemented to prevent it.

Because you're all right, there's just no way under the current rules that these guys can play game after game that way and not eventually get hurt. And I can't see even half the teams losing their star players, let alone most of them, without the owners of those teams doing something to stop it. That's just the way business is conducted - you act to protect your largest investments. There's no way multiple owners are going to let that much of their money go out the door with no return.

And when that happens, I for one will finally be finished with the game. I'm not going to watch something that would be that controlled so as to give the impression that players are doing something amazing when all they're doing is just making sure they don't trip over their own feet.

2 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I know this is going to sound like one of those "that will never happen" things to a lot of people, but with all the money that teams, and the league collectively, have invested in the new superstar quarterbacks, given how almost all of them play the position now, I think it's just a matter of time before the rules are changed to prevent them from being hit even while running the ball. I'm not sure what that will mean or look like, but I truly believe something will be implemented to prevent it.

Because you're all right, there's just no way under the current rules that these guys can play game after game that way and not eventually get hurt. And I can't see even half the teams losing their star players, let alone most of them, without the owners of those teams doing something to stop it. That's just the way business is conducted - you act to protect your largest investments. There's no way multiple owners are going to let that much of their money go out the door with no return.

And when that happens, I for one will finally be finished with the game. I'm not going to watch something that would be that controlled so as to give the impression that players are doing something amazing when all they're doing is just making sure they don't trip over their own feet.

Nah, they just won't pay guys a ton of money if its not worth the return on investment anymore.  Economic principles will take care of the situation much more cleanly than rules policing.... I mean, how exactly do you think an untouchable offensive player works? Yeaaaaah....no.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I see the league shifting towards two types of players: the Russel Wilsons and the Lamar Jacksons. Patrick Mahomes fits under the Russel Wilson category, where they run to avoid getting hit and throw the ball. I’m hoping to see the same thing from Joe Burrow. That kind of style can be very effective if done correctly. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually do not see us struggling at all in the beginning with the way our schedule is laid out. Regarding your post I agree, we will be a run first offense but do not tell that to the people who think if a QB doesn't for 300 yards a game he isn't the reason why we are winning. Can't wait to see how critical people are of Rivers when he throws for like only 200 yards in a game but we win because we ran the ball effectively. 

Again, you fail to see the forest for the trees! It's not the amount of yards a QB throws per game. It's when more passing yards is needed then the QB can make the throws that is necessary to win the game on a consistent basis. IMO, the Colts do not yet have that element.  None of the backups have proven they can be backups on a consistent basis. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

Again, you fail to see the forest for the trees! It's not the amount of yards a QB throws per game. It's when more passing yards is needed then the QB can make the throws that is necessary to win the game on a consistent basis. IMO, the Colts do not yet have that element.  None of the backups have proven they can be backups on a consistent basis. 

It's definitely not the amount of Yards a QB throws for that is super important but some think it is. That is my point. As soon as Rivers has 2 or 3 bad games statistically the pile on will begin by many in here even if we win those games. The name of the game is winning no matter how it looks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I don't think the owners will change any rules pertaining to the QB leaving the pocket and becoming a runner. There is already rules that protect the QB in play. If the QB slides to end his play he can't be hit. If he continues as a runner then he can be treated as such.

The rules already have been implemented to protect every player on the field.  

Even a hit now that is considered vicious is called a personal foul. Those can carry fines outside of the game. 

16 hours ago, AustexColt said:

We were essentially a run first team last year...

6 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

First play of the regular season -  Play action to Mack, Rivers throws to Hilton.

75 Yard TD, that would be a fun way to start the season :thmup:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AustexColt said:

As a unit our lineman are better run bockers than pass. Frank won't screw that up.
 How about a prediction that we are awesome in the beginning, then teams adapt as they get some film on our tendencies.
 The NFL is a Marathon. And i like our depth. 

Last year people stacked the box against the run... they were not in fear of JB

I believe that (actually hope) that Rivers still has enough gas  in the tank that when they stack the box this year.....,, Rivers will hit the receiver ....

A run first offense doesn’t work if all 11 defenders are not concerned with our pass attack....

I am anxious to see how Pittman, TY , Campbell will all down the field together 

If we can pull some double coverage on 1 or 2 of them, it will open up the running game as DBs have to also worry about our runners

It will be an interesting year..., run the ball, when they have nickel coverage ...

Pass the ball when they they stack the box...tough to defend

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 4:33 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I’d tend to agree with your thinking here. We don’t need Rivers to throw for 300 a game but what we need to have, is a QB with the threat of doing so if needed and not just when we are 30 points behind in catch up mode with prevent defenses. 

What will set Rivers apart from JB is hopefully his ability to read and process what defenses are setting up for against us. If we can successfully screen play, run and the occasional chunk play, I would welcome a 200 yard performance in the air with 150 on the ground and 24 points avg/game. Having a QB who can scan and process the field quickly and get it to the right guy is where having a smart QB will be worth his salt. 

seeing what Rivers did with Eckler last year makes me very optimistic for Hines and the short pass and YAC game. JB couldn’t get that game going for Hines, coaching, game plan or inability to make the correct reads, I’m not sure why but knowing that Rivers has already done that with an unknown source last year, I feel like that will be the power to the engine of the beast for the year. If either of Mack or Taylor shows he can catch the ball out of the backfield this season, we should be able to put up 30 often with some big strike shots imho. I wonder what our redzone game will look like without a Ebron (2018) type guy. I know Pittman has the size but not the game experience yet. We will see. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’d tend to agree with your thinking here. We don’t need Rivers to throw for 300 a game but what we need to have, is a QB with the threat of doing so if needed and not just when we are 30 points behind in catch up mode with prevent defenses. 

What will set Rivers apart from JB is hopefully his ability to read and process what defenses are setting up for against us. If we can successfully screen play, run and the occasional chunk play, I would welcome a 200 yard performance in the air with 150 on the ground and 24 points avg/game. Having a QB who can scan and process the field quickly and get it to the right guy is where having a smart QB will be worth his salt. 

seeing what Rivers did with Eckler last year makes me very optimistic for Hines and the short pass and YAC game. JB couldn’t get that game going for Hines, coaching, game plan or inability to make the correct reads, I’m not sure why but knowing that Rivers has already done that with an unknown source last year, I feel like that will be the power to the engine of the beast for the year. If either of Mack or Taylor shows he can catch the ball out of the backfield this season, we should be able to put up 30 often with some big strike shots imho. I wonder what our redzone game will look like without a Ebron (2018) type guy. I know Pittman has the size but not the game experience yet. We will see. 

Oh definitely. I was sort of being sarcastic with the JB reference = 200 a game. Rivers is a nice upgrade and does give me more hope if we do fall behind in a game to comeback.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 7:42 PM, EastStreet said:

Pass %

2018 - 61.6% (9th)

2019 - 53.64% (28th)

I see us using the short passing game like the run but also being able to use the run off that as well. What will be critical is for Rivers to be able to hit those intermediate strikes and get those chunk plays to force DC’s to loosen up their defense and not play so tight near the Los as they were able to do with JB. I’m very curious to see if we have truly acquired a FB to incorporate big with the offense this year or if it’s going to be just a goal line/short yard offense package. 

id love to see a package where we come out with TY, Paris/Pittman and Hines at the slot with both backs split in the backfield. Is it a run, a screen or a bomb to TY? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I think a good balance would be Rivers throwing on average for around 240 a game and we run the ball for around 130 a game. That is 370 yards of offense. Last season 370 would put us in the top 10 for total yards, right at 10th. Which is good if the defense plays good.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh definitely. I was sort of being sarcastic with the JB reference = 200 a game. Rivers is a nice upgrade and does give me more hope if we do fall behind in a game to comeback.

Yeah, I knew where you were coming from. There is going to be a group that says we won but 25 million for 175 is stupid to pay a guy for that production while not being able to see the whole concept and ability. Running it effectively is waaaay safer than throwing it 20 yards downfield plus it allows your defense to rest and stay off the field. I thought we were going to be getting that style game from JB last year in just managing the game to long, drives with clock controlling game plans but he couldn’t make the defense respect his passing abilities. At least Rivers has that game built in to his reputation already. I don’t need to see a 60 yard bomb pass but I’d love to see a quick hitting 5 yard pass become a 45 yard TD on occasion lol. 

• Like 1

With an experienced vet like Rivers, I would think we go back to the Manning days where the QB actually knows what the defense is going to do and you run it or pass it accordingly. Except in the 4th with a lead, you run it a lot against a stacked line and impose our will.

• Like 1

How nice is it to finally ha e a o-line that we can smash the ball down their throats?!? Love it! Road graders, control the line control the game, battle of the trenches

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 11:05 PM, RollerColt said:

Lol what cam didn’t kill his career running he got hurt in the pocket trying not to die because his line couldn’t pass protect..he’s not built like LJ or Vick  Cam wouldn’t get hurt on his scrambles watch more film..LJ led the league in passing td with 36? Yes he ran a lot but that’s their offense it’s built that way stop hating Peyton threw ugly balls too but they were caught for tds...gotta stop trying to lump all the running qbs into the same category idk if you’ve noticed but plenty of scrambling qbs are lasting now while the pocket passers of our generation are ending up hurt look no further than last year 

5 hours ago, will426 said:

Lol what cam didn’t kill his career running he got hurt in the pocket trying not to die because his line couldn’t pass protect..he’s not built like LJ or Vick  Cam wouldn’t get hurt on his scrambles watch more film..LJ led the league in passing td with 36? Yes he ran a lot but that’s their offense it’s built that way stop hating Peyton threw ugly balls too but they were caught for tds...gotta stop trying to lump all the running qbs into the same category idk if you’ve noticed but plenty of scrambling qbs are lasting now while the pocket passers of our generation are ending up hurt look no further than last year 

That’s fair. I’m not hating on them as much as I’m concerned about their health. And true, probably shouldn’t lump them all in to one category. 

The pocket passers are all older, no? It’s bound to happen that they’re injured. 

On 5/22/2020 at 3:33 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I won't tell as long you don't tell people that just because a team won does not mean the QB was playing well.

Personally, I have no problem if Rivers throws for 200 yards and the Colts win.  because I know that Rovers can throw for 300 or 400 yards if needed to win the game.  The guy he replaced did not provide that same confidence.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 9:44 AM, Jdubu said:

I see us using the short passing game like the run but also being able to use the run off that as well. What will be critical is for Rivers to be able to hit those intermediate strikes and get those chunk plays to force DC’s to loosen up their defense and not play so tight near the Los as they were able to do with JB. I’m very curious to see if we have truly acquired a FB to incorporate big with the offense this year or if it’s going to be just a goal line/short yard offense package. 

id love to see a package where we come out with TY, Paris/Pittman and Hines at the slot with both backs split in the backfield. Is it a run, a screen or a bomb to TY? 

I honestly believe we'll be well rounded. We'll be a lot closer to 60% pass, than 50%. Rivers was #6 in deep throw attempts, #5 in completed air yards, and #3 in pass attempt distance. That said, I think it's safe to say he likely won't be top 5 or even top 10 in those stats this year, but we're not going to be bottom 10 either like JB was either. I absolutely think we'll keep teams honest, and make them defend the entire field. Being horrible at Level 3 (20+ yards), and poor at Level 2 (10-20) made it way to easy on Ds last year.

Sets with Pittman/Campbell/Doyle/TY and Hines should make it pretty hard on Ds. That's three guys with 4.3s speed, plus 2 big and effective possession targets. Rivers will have more speed this year than last, which should pay dividends short, intermediate, and deep. 

On Nix, I think it's a toss up for him to make the team. It might be Burton vs Nix, or a Wilkins vs Nix decision. If we had less ?s at TE, I wouldn't be so down on his chances. I'd definitely keep Burton over Nix. Not sure I'd keep Nix over Wilkins either. With the addition of Pittman, I could see less 2 TE sets this year, so who knows. And now that we have two spots on the PS (unlimited eligibility) we could always stash a guy there that we normally wouldn't (pay cut though).

• Like 1

The big change with Taylor will be explosive plays.  People are going to be shocked at the difference it makes in the offense.

Last season Mack finished 18th in DVoA (which is a measure of explosive plays), and 10th in SR (success rate which is getting what is deemed "successful" amount of yards or a first down per down/distance).  He's a good back and can keep the chains moving but he lacks that gear.  And also that SR demonstrates the quality of the line.

Taylor is going to flip the field.  My concern with him is the mileage, but outside that the guy is going to be a dramatic change for the Colts offense.  I would guess he'll easily be top 10 in DVoA behind this line.  

13 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

The big change with Taylor will be explosive plays.  People are going to be shocked at the difference it makes in the offense.

Last season Mack finished 18th in DVoA (which is a measure of explosive plays), and 10th in SR (success rate which is getting what is deemed "successful" amount of yards or a first down per down/distance).  He's a good back and can keep the chains moving but he lacks that gear.  And also that SR demonstrates the quality of the line.

Taylor is going to flip the field.  My concern with him is the mileage, but outside that the guy is going to be a dramatic change for the Colts offense.  I would guess he'll easily be top 10 in DVoA behind this line.  

IMO, the biggest reason why we lacked explosive running plays was lack of passing O to level 2 and 3. Teams didn't respect much 10+ yards in the air, so DBs and LBs didn't need to worry much about JB stretching the field. Teams didn't need to necessarily stack the box all the time, but didn't need to use passing down subpackages near as much either (meaning more base packages, and more LBs on the field)..

Now that we have a QB that can stretch the field, teams will be play deeper with a lot more nickel and dime personnel making it easier on all backs. Mack's AVG went from 4.7 in 2018 to 4.4 last year. Out of the 15 RBs that ran for 1000 yards last year, 10 were better than his 4.4, but only 5 were better than his 2018 4.7. 

All that said, Taylor's 4.4ish is obviously better than Mack's 4.5ish. Given that speed, he should absolutely break more under the same conditions. Let's just hope he flips the field with that speed, instead of flipping the field with his fumble issues.

Another factor is that our O uses a lot of zone blocking, instead of power/man blocking. What does that mean? It means the RB is spending a lot more time behind the LOS trying to pick his hole, instead of hitting a pre-determined hole very hard (like in man/power). Mack had the 3rd highest TLOS (time behind LOS), meaning LBs and DBs have more time to react to play the run and crash down. I'm a fan of both schemes, but we need more of a mix, and would love to see more man/power.

Wiscy uses a good mix of both power and zone blocking. I love their outside zone running. Their inside power is super nice too. They almost always have nice OLs... Keep in mind though that Wiscy runs the ball almost twice the amount they pass..... And they use a lot of FB/TE lead blocking..... We likely won't be using a lot of FB/TE lead blocking, and we definitely won't be running 2x more than passing lol.