Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breakout Year from a Non-rookie?

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

his record isnt that bad tbh, he had got in trouble for some strange incidents but the charges were mostly dropped and nothing that bad actually happened 

Is this uncle Jim?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Parris Campbell

I'm going with Rock. He was putting it together towards the end of the season. Looking forward to seeing his growth. Having someone like Rhodes in his ear as well should really help him.

I'm shocked it took 25 responses. The over/under was 10. I lost, had the under.

11 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Is this uncle Jim?

nope

who are you, a prude that cant forgive minor incidents?    he was drunk and entered the wrong home by accident, get over it.  he left without hurting anything and that charge was dropped too btw 

24 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

nope

who are you, a prude that cant forgive minor incidents?    he was drunk and entered the wrong home by accident, get over it.  he left without hurting anything and that charge was dropped too btw 

Perhaps he was joking...

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

nope

Tell us about the other 3 minor episodes Uncle Jim.

12 hours ago, Myles said:

Was his 63 catches for 425 yards near a record?

I'm going with Hines.  Rivers knows how to use backs like him.  As long as Reich has him on the field more, I can see 75 catches for 750 yards.  

He came close to breaking a few Colts and NFL rook records. I know he had the most receptions of any Colts rook RB, and was 2 short of tying all Colts rooks (any position) for most receptions. He tied for 9th all time for NFL rook RB receptions. And did all that starting only a few games.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

nope

Jim,please tell us about the time he punched a bouncer and fought the cops. I believe he took a plea deal.

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

nope

Jim,please tell us why the prudes at Clemson kicked Chad off the team.

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

nope

Jim, can you tell us why Chad was kicked off his HS team in PA?

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Jim,please tell us about the time he punched a bouncer and fought the cops. I believe he took a plea deal.

you quoted me that many times to say this stuff lmao?

hes been in trouble we all know that, he was never actually charged with anything serious, look it up.  

i dont care if he got kicked off a team in college what matters is where hes at now 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

hes been in trouble we all know that, he was never actually charged with anything serious, look it up.  

i dont care if he got kicked off a team in college what matters is where hes at now 

He's here only because of Frank.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Chad is the triple Crown winner ! Kicked off HS, college ,and Pro teams. Not many have accomplised that feat.

11 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Lol..ok

I agree he got in the door because Frank opened it....

But how did he win the Bronco's QB2 job? We know how he lost it, but he must have done something good to win it in the first place....

9 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Chad is the triple Crown winner ! Kicked off HS, college ,and Pro teams. Not many have accomplised that feat.

Beat Bama twice.... I don't think any other QB has done that either.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree he got in the door because Frank opened it....

But how did he win the Bronco's QB2 job? We know how he lost it, but he must have done something good to win it in the first place....

Beat Bama twice.... I don't think any other QB has done that either.

He sure did , and he didn't even get kicked out of Ole Miss. Congrats.

15 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

none of that matters now

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You're right. He's ours and the other 31 teams are trying to figure out how we got so lucky to get him.

this one was kind of funny lol, i dont think its quite like that

hes somewhere between a second and 4th string qb, its not really clear where exactly.  if he really is only 4th string material he will be gone soon, if they cancel most of the off season than it will hurt guys like chad so yeah...

38 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You're right. He's ours and the other 31 teams are trying to figure out how we got so lucky to get him.

I still agree completely with Doyel's take on swag thug kelly.

As for breakout player, I predict Turay because he was going gangbusters early last season before the injury, he's been working his tail off (with RM98) since he healed up, and the addition of Buckner will significantly alter the dynamics of the DL which should free Turay up to wreak even greater havoc. 

29 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

I still agree completely with Doyel's take on swag thug kelly.

I said back when we picked him up, that it called into question Ballard and Reich's "high character" coach speak..... so in that aspect I agree with Doyel. It's like, "you must have high character and a spotless past unless you're family of a friend.

On the other hand, Doyel tries to make this out to be something it's not.... Kelly clearly has a substance abuse problem that was compounded by ego. That ego was likely crushed, and he's more than likely getting the substance abuse help he needs. It's not really a mystery. If the ego and substance abuse issues are gone, what remains should be pretty decent, and we know there's talent.

29 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

As for breakout player, I predict Turay because he was going gangbusters early last season before the injury, he's been working his tail off (with RM98) since he healed up, and the addition of Buckner will significantly alter the dynamics of the DL which should free Turay up to wreak even greater havoc. 

Turay was going crazy on passing downs. Which is weird because coming into the draft, most pumped his run D up, and questioned his pass rush. If he can become a legit 3 down guy, it's gonna be fun!

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah, I do think it matters. 

Why else would he be listed as a fourth string practice squad recipient? 

he hasnt really been given the chance to beat out jacoby or eason yet.  i do think he was on a probation last year but hes still here and i dont think thats because of jim kelly

i dont know where chad  will land but jacoby is making a lot more and has been here longer so hes second string for now.  if there is no off season that will hurt guys like Chad and Jacob too 

I HOPE it's Turay simply due to need.  We have nobody really proven on that end spot right now.  However, the guy I think is LIKELY to breakout most is Campbell.  I think he is going to be a nightmare in the slot if (if healthy).

• Like 1
11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

he's more than likely getting the substance abuse help he needs. It's not really a mystery. If the ego and substance abuse issues are gone

I agree, however the recover rate for substance abuse is roughly 50-50. For pretty much all of his adult life he's been extremely hard-headed about his problem, saying all the right things (including playing the religion card, when convenient) yet continuing unabated down his years-long path of destruction.

I'm not sure his ego got crushed in Indy - why wouldn't it have gotten crushed in Denver when he failed to be the #1? Or previously when he got kicked off other teams? What makes this time special for him? From the perspective of an addict (i.e., from Kelly's perspective), that's hard to have any degree of confidence that this time is the one that got his attention. More often, it's a life-death situation that wakes an addict up enough to make a difference.

Stopping substance abuse is just one part of a long and complex recovery process. It's not even been a year yet, so even if Kelly is clean at the moment it is nowhere near to convincing me he will/can stay clean for very long - most addicts relapse many, many times on their road to recovery.

I'm afraid without any evidence whatsoever (we know Reich talks up everyone, it's his style - so I don't count that as evidence of Kelly's recovery), I don't put much bank on him having

achieved the over on those 50-50 odds in such a short time frame (or ever, for that matter).

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Turay was going crazy on passing downs. Which is weird because coming into the draft, most pumped his run D up, and questioned his pass rush. If he can become a legit 3 down guy, it's gonna be fun!

Good point - I think this D is going to be very good, for a variety of reasons. I'm thinking top 5 rushing O, top 12 overall O, top 12 defense.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

I agree, however the recover rate for substance abuse is roughly 50-50. For pretty much all of his adult life he's been extremely hard-headed about his problem, ......

He's just turned 26 (and by all accounts he has been doing well for at least a year) ... so at this point he was immature to the ripe old age of about 24, that's not a lot of "adult life" years. I know plenty of people who were well into there 20s before they quit partying and "grew up".

I am not saying he won't screw it all up or is a changed man; I don't know the guy personally. But, I think it is premature to pass judgement so early. It's amazing how many posters on here graduated high school and were instantly pillars of their community and never went through a wild period of poor or stupid decisions. I know I am glad the media(and potential employers) weren't keeping records of every stupid decision I made during HS & college.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

I agree, however the recover rate for substance abuse is roughly 50-50. For pretty much all of his adult life he's been extremely hard-headed about his problem, saying all the right things (including playing the religion card, when convenient) yet continuing unabated down his years-long path of destruction.

I'd say he's got more support than the typical substance abuse sufferer. So perhaps that gives him an advantage and it'll be better than 50/50. 

Saying the right thing when sober is not hard. But it also doesn't mean someone isn't sincere when they screw up again. In my life I've seen all kinds of substance abuse challenges with employees, friends, and family. Some are functional and calm substance abusers, some do * stuff. Some quit easy and never have a problem again, some struggle their entire life. And regardless of where you fall out in those two areas, the sincerity of which someone wants to change varies as well.

And as far as playing the religious card, that IMO was a low blow by Doyel... He has zero clue. One of my most favorite employees of all time who struggled for a long lonmg time, went to religious counselling with his pastor,  went to a rehab, and spent a ton of time at AA meetings over the course of 2-3 years. In each place, they prayed and spoke of God. He still screwed up several times. Didn't make him any less sincere about wanting to quit, and didn't make manipulative for talking about God when trying to relate about his struggles.

Doyel seems to suggest Kelly is manipulative and insincere.........., and frankly without knowing the kid, IMO it's irresponsible and salacious to suggest something like that. I really don't care for Doyel anyway. He's got some decent talent, but he has no ties to Indy or any of it's sports teams. He's an SEC fan born in GA, went to college at UF, and has bounced around since.

I'm not sure his ego got crushed in Indy - why wouldn't it have gotten crushed in Denver when he failed to be the #1? Or previously when he got kicked off other teams? What makes this time special for him? From the perspective of an addict (i.e., from Kelly's perspective), that's hard to have any degree of confidence that this time is the one that got his attention. More often, it's a life-death situation that wakes an addict up enough to make a difference.

There's a huge difference between not winning the starting job in the NFL, and being fired. And in college, his talent was enough to keep him in demand. At last count, there are 125 Division 1 FCS football teams and 129 FBS football teams. So he's went from 254 landing spots to 32. And the NFL doesn't hand out second, third, and forth chances a lot.

Not saying he's bottomed out. Not all people need to lose everything. Some have enough family around them to make things click. I certainly don't know if Kelly has turned the corner or not, but all the team can do is ask him to be a good team mate, and not F up outside of the league. So far, he's doing what's been asked. 

Stopping substance abuse is just one part of a long and complex recovery process. It's not even been a year yet, so even if Kelly is clean at the moment it is nowhere near to convincing me he will/can stay clean for very long - most addicts relapse many, many times on their road to recovery.

Not disagreeing, but Kelly has had more high profile F ups and/or relapses than most people do.  Perhaps he doesn't need to be kicked out of the league for good to change. Again, we don't know him. The best folks to judge his progress are those close.

I'm afraid without any evidence whatsoever (we know Reich talks up everyone, it's his style - so I don't count that as evidence of Kelly's recovery), I don't put much bank on him having

achieved the over on those 50-50 odds in such a short time frame (or ever, for that matter).

LOL, there is no evidence. Only time is evidence with substance abuse.

Good point - I think this D is going to be very good, for a variety of reasons. I'm thinking top 5 rushing O, top 12 overall O, top 12 defense.

Assuming we don't have a major injury to a major starter....

I'm going with both top 10 rushing and passing. Top 5 overall.

And also go top 10 pass and run D.

2 hours ago, esmort said:

He's just turned 26 (and by all accounts he has been doing well for at least a year) ... so at this point he was immature to the ripe old age of about 24, that's not a lot of "adult life" years. I know plenty of people who were well into there 20s before they quit partying and "grew up".

I am not saying he won't screw it all up or is a changed man; I don't know the guy personally. But, I think it is premature to pass judgement so early. It's amazing how many posters on here graduated high school and were instantly pillars of their community and never went through a wild period of poor or stupid decisions. I know I am glad the media(and potential employers) weren't keeping records of every stupid decision I made during HS & college.

It is just as premature to assume he is ready to be a back up for the Colts as well. 

Frank was pretty strong in his build up of him. Was that reality or was that a continuation of his building up Kelly's mental psyche?

Only time will tell. 

The thing is for those who think Kelly has shown enough really don't know.  It hasn't been as simple as some think.  If this has what has been holding him back I sincerely hope he gets his self together and finds happiness. 

Jim Kelly has to love Frank as a true friend. You can add Jim Irsay and Chris Ballard to that list too. They had to have signed off on this and take the risk as an owner and a GM.  

On 5/22/2020 at 10:18 AM, TheNextGM said:

Burton. 
Rivers loves his TE and Reich knows how to use him.

Ebron numbers from year one.

Ah, nice. I hadn't even thought about Burton for this category, but if he remains healthy you could be right. Definitely a good candidate to have a big year.

Brissett. He will break out of the colts building and go home. Leaving the quarterbacks room to move forward with the best of competition and use the entire playbook. I think the coach will enjoy rivers,kelly and eason's competition. The season is long and hard. It may take all of them to get through.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

Brissett. He will break out of the colts building and go home. Leaving the quarterbacks room to move forward with the best of competition and use the entire playbook. I think the coach will enjoy rivers,kelly and eason's competition. The season is long and hard. It may take all of them to get through.

I guess you forgot that Brissett is under contract to get paid rather well. 

You think he will leave that money on the table?  

No, not happening. 

On 5/21/2020 at 11:20 AM, funktacious2 said:

Who do you think will have the biggest breakout year from a non-rookie?

For now I'm going to say Ben Banogu. Rewatching some moments of last season has me really optimistic on the guy. 

As an additional note I wish I could say Okereke, but he'll probably still have a backup role, but wow, the kid really flashes some high end potential.

Out of curiosity, who do you think will be starting over Okereke?  I think we'll see a lot of dime/nickel packages which will make him or Walker come out of the game.. but if I had to guess, I'd think the starting LBs this year will be Leonard, Walker and Bobby O (I think he's certainly capable of being an upgrade to Adams or Franklin -- and right now, https://www.colts.com/team/depth-chart#scroll-defense, the depth chart has him listed as our starting SAM).

On 5/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, aaron11 said:

was thinking about Hines too, he had a lot of catches with Luck 

Rivers has played with Sproles and Ekeler and utilized them both very well... I think Reich said something about Hines having potential to develop into a Sproles-like player when he was first drafted.. I expect Hines and Rivers will form a solid bond and we'll see Hines (and Campbell) as kind of all-purpose guys on this offense.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:41 PM, aaron11 said:

his record isnt that bad tbh, he had got in trouble for some strange incidents but the charges were mostly dropped and nothing that bad actually happened 

If he wasn't a pro-athlete and his uncle wasn't a HOFer, nobody would talk about what Kelly did.  Not saying it's right or wrong, but I imagine many posters on this board have gotten drunk and did something stupid or regrettable at least once in their life time.  

On 5/22/2020 at 5:38 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

Jim,please tell us why the prudes at Clemson kicked Chad off the team.

Not sure how old you are, but I highly doubt you went through the ages of 18-22 without doing something questionable.  You probably weren't a D-1 football player with a HOF Uncle, so nobody probably really cared to judge you on a public forum.

I think we're going to see a lot of breakout players this year.  The thing Reich talks about a lot is that there will be some weeks where guys will play major roles and others where they will be pretty quiet.  Reich and Sirianni seem to be very adaptable with their offense and they stress the fact that we don't have selfish players on the team.  I think we'll see guys like Hines and Campbell play huge roles in some games and in others we'll hardly see them on the field.

Here's my list:

Hines -- not only as an RB/flex type of guy, but as a returner.  He really became impressive late last year as a punt returner.  If he keeps that up, I could see him being a pro-bowler as a return specialist.  I also see Rivers being able to utilize him a lot better than Brissett did on offense.

Campbell -- kid is a freak athlete.  He showed flashes of being able to play a very versatile role in the offense when healthy last year.... he just needs to keep himself on the field instead of in the trainer's office.

Ya-Sin -- he really came on late last year.  With additions of Buckner, development from Banogu and Turay and our LBers, we have (on paper) a better pass rush.  Should make Ya-Sin's life a lot easier.

Tell -- I was mostly impressed by him last year and he made a position change from college.  I think we'll see him on the field a lot more this year, and if I had to guess he'll be covering bigger TEs quite a bit.

Braden Smith -- Big Q gets a lot of media hype and credit (well deserved), but I don't think Smith is too far off from being a pro-bowl caliber OL.  With the addition of Rivers and the rookie RB, I think our whole OL is going to get a lot more credit this year.

TY -- If he stays healthy, I think the improved QB play is really going to benefit him.

Okereke  -- I see him taking a starting role and really improving.  He played very well last year, especially late in the season.  With a better DL in front of him and more experience, I expect him to really blossom.

Walker -- The addition of Buckner should make AW's life a bit easier.. again, Leonard gets a lot of well deserved credit and attention from our LB corps, but Walker quietly had a very solid year last year.

Hooker -- Contract year and an improved pass rush should really help him out.  Also, I expect the development of Ya-Sin and Tell, with a healthy Kenny Moore and the additions of Rhodes and others, Hooker will have more help from his DB unit as a whole.

Willis -- he had a very solid rookie year, I think his athleticism has him near his 'ceiling' early in his career, but again, improved play in front of him should help him out.

EJ Speed -- Ballard says he's as athletic of an LBer that we have, but came from a small school and was raw as a rookie.  I don't know how much time he'll get on D, but I expect him to be on the field more there and also to excel on STs.

Turay -- he was coming on last year... the addition of Buckner drawing attention from OLs should really help our entire DL.  Turay's workout videos look as though he's really putting in work... hopefully he stays healthy.

Banogu -- like Turay, the guy is a very solid athlete who was pretty raw coming out of college.  I anticipate he'll make a similar jump in year 2.

Xavier Rhodes -- not sure if I'd call it a breakout year, as he's been an all-pro before.  Even though he was a probowler last year, it was his worst season to date.. I think he'll fit in very well with this D.

Grover Stewart -- He was a project pick and really started to develop last year.  I think having Buckner next to him will really help him step up.

Autry -- Hunt played pretty terrible last year (or at least digressed from his 2018), and I don't think it had positive effects on Autry.. having Buckner and a healthy Turay along with Justin Houston and others should really help him out.

Le'Raven Clark -- I don't know if he'll see the field, but I won't be shocked at all if replaces Glow, or if Smith moves to RG and Clark moves to RT.  

Trey Burton -- he's a Reich guy and (if healthy) I think he can be a very good fit on this offense.

Asthon Dulin -- Don't think he'll be on the field much on O, but he was definitely improving last year.  I do, however, think he'll crack our roster and contribute significantly on STs.

Reece Fountain/Pascal -- I think these guys will be in the 4-6 WR roles, but, with improved QB play and with the addition of Pittman and Patmon, and the hopeful healthiness of TY and Pascal, I think when these guys are on the field, they'll have a lot better chance of being put in favorable matchups.  I thought Pascal played well last year, but with JB digressing as the season went on and with him sometimes being utilized as our #1 WR, I don't think he had the best situation.

Marlon Mack -- I don't know that his stats will go up, per se... but I think with the addition of Taylor (both taking workload off Mack and being a different type of back), that when Mack gets his number called, he's going to be very successful.

*I won't be shocked if Fountain and/or Dulin don't make the team, but if they do, I think they'll be all right for us and improved from last year (maybe not 'breakouts', but certainly should be in better positions with improved QB play and supporting cast).