Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Behle

Potential revenue loss 2020

Have been reading that the potential loss in revenue per team is anywhere from 70 to 100 million per team due to the virus. This would lower the salary cap for 2021 for the first time. Seems that this must be realistically accounted for going forward with any current negotiations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Behle said:

Have been reading that the potential loss in revenue per team is anywhere from 70 to 100 million per team due to the virus. This would lower the salary cap for 2021 for the first time. Seems that this must be realistically accounted for going forward with any current negotiations. 

An article I read said that the potential loss for the NFL is $5.5 billion. That would put the average loss per team at around $170 million.  It makes me wonder about teams that are/will be close to the cap number, will they have to cut players in a salary dump in order to get under a future cap number that is potentially much lower?

Here is a link to the article I mentioned.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2020/05/18/the-stadium-revenue-each-nfl-team-will-lose-if-games-are-played-without-fans/#1f1258d7691a

• Thanks 1

I wonder how their TV contracts are written.    Does the NFL get compensated in any way when ratings are higher?   I assume the games will have higher ratings than we have seen in a long time.  

This will effectively kill the Chiefs dynasty before it even began ... Mahomes if he was smart would be asking for his mega contract right now.

23 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

This will effectively kill the Chiefs dynasty before it even began ... Mahomes if he was smart would be asking for his mega contract right now.

I don't think he has anything to worry about. He's a 24 year old with an MVP and Super Bowl championship under his belt. If the Chiefs don't/can't pay him $35-40 mil a year, some other team will. Regardless, he's going to get paid.

11 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't think he has anything to worry about. He's a 24 year old with an MVP and Super Bowl championship under his belt. If the Chiefs don't/can't pay him $35-40 mil a year, some other team will. Regardless, he's going to get paid.

He is not getting 35-40 if the cap goes down 40 percent.

19 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Agreed someone will pay him

10 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

He is not getting 35-40 if the cap goes down 40 percent.

40% would be a really big cut. Teams would have to cut half their players. I did read though that some contract extensions are being put off because of the uncertainty of the cap.   I think the nfl would come up with a solution before players would start getting dumped. Hopefully we get to have at least season ticket holders at the games. Someone mentioned also groups of people like families wouldn’t have to be socially distanced at a game. 

I also think if their is no fans ratings will be big for awhile but eventually I think fans would lose interest fast.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

40% would be a really big cut. Teams would have to cut half their players. I did read though that some contract extensions are being put off because of the uncertainty of the cap.   I think the nfl would come up with a solution before players would start getting dumped.

I also think if their is no fans ratings will be big for awhile but eventually I think fans would lose interest fast.

They could push money to future caps but that is a dangerous game to play as no one knows where pro sports will be next season. I agree that they probably don't let it go down as far as 40 percent but not sure they really have a choice. High end contracts especially QB contracts will come down.

The union and owners would work something out. If anything like that would happen it would kill the players and the owners..

• Like 1

If there are no fans at the stadiums and there is a reluctance to go to bars, Sunday Ticket purchases will go through the roof!

Wow, Chris Ballard is a prophet. So this is why he saved all that money.

I wonder about the effects of fan alienation for the sport. I haven't watched a baseball game on TV (and only attended one I was asked to go to live) since the 1981 strike. I totally gave up on a sport I loved.

Hey, there is always soccer and lacrosse.

Hopefully it does reduce the cap. Would love to see all these players cry about not getting that huge contract! Contracts are ridiculous now. Can only imagine how some of these players would react lol

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Hopefully it does reduce the cap. Would love to see all these players cry about not getting that huge contract! Contracts are ridiculous now. Can only imagine how some of these players would react lol

Contracts are what the system will sustain. The best players get paid accordingly. You want to see the players cry just for %s and giggles? 

Even the thought of this will make the owners second guess these long term contracts. NO WAY do I give Dak 35-40 million a year, no matter what. But if the cap might fall down 20 million, he'll be a cap causality anyway..

On 5/22/2020 at 9:48 AM, CoachLite said:

Hey, there is always soccer and lacrosse.

You shut your dirty mouth!

If there's no football on TV, I'll go watch grass grow.  Or watch grass die, since it will be fall-going-into-winter... I'll watch the leaves change color... yeah... that would be more exciting than soccer!  haha

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

A non issue ticket sales and prices are surging people will go to games money will be made . You can bet on that .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2020 at 10:37 PM, tweezy32 said:

I just threw up in my mouth.   What an embarrassingly bad take.   Hey, it’s your opinion, you’re entitled you it.   As am I to mine.    How sad.