Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Shadow_Creek

Jack Doyle IS No Ebron..

Say what you want but when ebron was on the field our TE group was a mismatch for many teams. Now that Doyle is in Ebron's place i dont see that many big numbers coming from that group. Ballard probably knew that which is why he chose both Pittman and Dezmon two big fast receiver's that could at least make a big impact on our offense along with Taylor to hide the TE weakness. Hopefully next draft we can get another fast explosive TE like Ebron to once again make our TE group a mismatch..

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Say what you want but when ebron was on the field our TE group was a mismatch for many teams. Now that Doyle is in Ebron's place i dont see that many big numbers coming from that group. Ballard probably knew that which is why he chose both Pittman and Dezmon two big fast receiver's that could at least make a big impact on our offense along with Taylor to hide the TE weakness. Hopefully next draft we can get another fast explosive TE like Ebron to once again make our TE group a mismatch..

Doyle is not Ebron.   Never was, never will be.   But Doyle is NOT in Ebron’s place.   Doyle is in his own place.   The traditional in-line tight end.   Block first, and make some key catches.   

The person filling the Ebron roll is Trey Burton who we signed as a free agent.   Burton is now the so-called receiving tight end.   That was Ebron’s roll.  Burton will fill it nicely.   He might not be quite as good or dolled as Ebron,  but he might be a bit more consistent.  

Doyle, Burton and MAC comprise a nice tight end room.   There are a few other lesser known names to round things out. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank God he isn’t.

Doyle is more of a team guy.  Ebron is mote interested in the camera.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Equal salaries, both at the top of their game to date.....and you have to cut one....

Bye Eric...

• Like 1

Im officially convinced Andrew could make anyone a viable option after Ebron bombed last year.

• Like 2

Absolutely was a mismatch with Ebron on the field.  Opposing defense didn’t have to guard him bc he would drop the ball. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

I think we ALL know that Jack isn’t a stretch TE he’s a reliable get his hands dirty TE. They brought Burton in to fill the void of Ebron. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Im officially convinced Andrew could make anyone a viable option after Ebron bombed last year.

To be quite fair, JB didn’t make anyone look good last year throwing them the ball. 

• Like 4

I think people forget that Doyle had an amazing year before he got his new contract and also before Ebron. The dude can catch. Just because they havent utilized him in that way as of the last 2 years doesnt mean hes not a mismatch. When Ebron went down I felt they under utilized him. He just blocks most of the time now, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Just like there are different WRs (X, Z, traditional slot, bully slot, etc.), there are different TEs. Ebron is a detached TE. Doyle is more blocking and possession TE. Doyle will never be the red zone threat Ebron is, and Ebron will never block as well Doyle. Doyle isn't an elite blocker though (he whiffed a few times last year). 

In short, two different types of TEs. MAC is likely more "Ebron" than Doyle. Let's hope MAC develops. He had a great 2018 step forward but was stunted with JB last year. Perhaps Burton can be more of a detached threat, but he's little, and more of a big slot guy.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think people forget that Doyle had an amazing year before he got his new contract and also before Ebron. The dude can catch. Just because they havent utilized him in that way as of the last 2 years doesnt mean hes not a mismatch. When Ebron went down I felt they under utilized him. He just blocks most of the time now, unfortunately. 

Doyle had great separation stats, and can catch. He just doesn't have the athletic ability that Ebron has. He has better hands though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Doyle has value no question and one could make a very strong case even more value than Ebron but they are very different TEs.  Doyle is more of the Ken Dilger mood.  Ebron is more of the Marcus Pollard mold. 

Honestly ebron was a WR in a TE body.  Hopefully the Colts new WRs can pick up some of that slack and the new tightend they signed picks up the rest.

I agree with you OP. People on here overhype Doyle far too much. Ebron would have been back to 2018 form with a competent QB throwing him the ball in Rivers. Doyle is the TE version of JB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Getting Nix as a FB this year I think is going to free Doyle up in the passing game. Doyle and Pascal are a like in that they do the dirty work. Every team needs a couple of those types of players.

• Like 1

In response to "Can'tBeStopped":

Nah. Ebron will always be tantalizingly talented and will always let you down. He just lacks something..... maybe heart? Doyle is the everyman lunchpail guy who brings it every game and reliably makes plays. He'll never be a superstar, but he'll end up being far more important to the team than an Ebron. I'm glad Ebron is gone and glad that Doyle remains our guy. He'll produce with Rivers. 

• Like 1

Here is how I see it

I expected a drop with EE as the target and expected a catch with JD as the target

um. Ebron was good with AL throwing to him...A lot of players could be good with AL throwing to them. Without AL, Ebron is an average TE. I'd rather have Doyle. Not as much fall off. And the dude can catch AND take a hit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kazz said:

um. Ebron was good with AL throwing to him...A lot of players could be good with AL throwing to them. Without AL, Ebron is an average TE. I'd rather have Doyle. Not as much fall off. And the dude can catch AND take a hit.

And Doyle is average no matter if is JB or Joe Montana. In 7 season he has 18 TDS. In 6 seasons ebron has 27

22 hours ago, Jdubu said:

To be quite fair, JB didn’t make anyone look good last year throwing them the ball. 

Zach Pascal looked pretty good last year....

If the Colts were in a critical game and had 3rd and 5 to have a chance, I’d feel safer going to JD.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 10:59 PM, CR91 said:

no fleener and allen did horrible under luck . fleener played scared and allen was slow and only average at best.   ebron is athletic and gets huge separation , people over play his drops because once and a while he drops easy catches but if you look at the stats his drops are average among tight ends . its just the fact his drops look bad at times , but 15 tds and almost 900 yards is amazing . jacoby is just so bad big ben is gonna light it up with ebron .   for 6 million a year we could have a pro bowl talent tight end who is a extreme mismatch for not much more money then we are paying trey burton who is a scrub and horrible .

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

He had an avg year in the terms of a wr in the nfl, he maybe stood out for a guy who hasn’t had much attention in his 4 years on the team. I’d hardly call what Zach did as eye popping for the league, he just made nice showings for this team, this season. I’ll give Zach the credit he deserves for stepping his game up and making the catches he could but again, I stand behind the statement that JB did no favors for this team with his play. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

no fleener and allen did horrible under luck . fleener played scared and allen was slow and only average at best.   ebron is athletic and gets huge separation , people over play his drops because once and a while he drops easy catches but if you look at the stats his drops are average among tight ends . its just the fact his drops look bad at times , but 15 tds and almost 900 yards is amazing . jacoby is just so bad big ben is gonna light it up with ebron .   for 6 million a year we could have a pro bowl talent tight end who is a extreme mismatch for not much more money then we are paying trey burton who is a scrub and horrible .

That a joke? Fleenor and Allen were looked at as up and coming weapons in the NFL. Then they left and fell off a cliff.

21 hours ago, Hoose said:

In response to "Can'tBeStopped":

Nah. Ebron will always be tantalizingly talented and will always let you down. He just lacks something..... maybe heart? Doyle is the everyman lunchpail guy who brings it every game and reliably makes plays. He'll never be a superstar, but he'll end up being far more important to the team than an Ebron. I'm glad Ebron is gone and glad that Doyle remains our guy. He'll produce with Rivers. 

I think the difference between Doyle and Ebron is, EE was blessed with god given talents where as Doyle was more blessed with workmanship like qualities. EE has taken his job and talent for granted and just expects he will win all matchups, doesn’t need to work on his craft to be the greatest at his position , ala Peyton Manning style or the creeper that is now in Tampa Bay LoL. Doyle wants to be the beat at his craft but doesn’t have the talent to be that, he does have the will and drive to keep working at 100% ala a Manning/Brady to be the best player he possibly can be. He is getting every ounce of talent out of his body that he possibly can because he absolutely puts effort in working on it whereas I don’t think EE gave more than 75% effort in trying to achieve that pinnacle of being the best of the best. Just always gave just what his talents would allow him with minimal effort. 

that’s what I feel like separates the two. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

That a joke? Fleenor and Allen were looked at as up and coming weapons in the NFL. Then they left and fell off a cliff.

no i didnt see them as that .  i saw luck carrying them.   allen only had one year with over 500 yards with the colts coby had two good years with the colts  in 2013 and 2014 but the colts weapons were injured in 2013 and coby was one of the only targets left

43 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

no i didnt see them as that .  i saw luck carrying them.   allen only had one year with over 500 yards with the colts coby had two good years with the colts  in 2013 and 2014 but the colts weapons were injured in 2013 and coby was one of the only targets left

Hence my point, Luck can make anyone a viable option. What exactly are you arguing

18 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I agree he had a good year and stepped up, but his stats are a product of simply playing every game and getting more targets that any WR. TY had 6 less games and less targets and still came close to Pascal's yards. His stats ranking put him in the #3WR space. I'm sure it could easily have been better with a better QB (which is the original point). All the others WRs and TEs regressed due to pass quality.

I give Zach a lot of credit for being reliable, and staying healthy most of all. He did show development from a separation perspective, but he still is a bit challenged from a "hands" (catch rate) perspective. He didn't have any drops IIRC, but he also doesn't possess the abilities a typical X has in terms of fighting for the ball or being a big target. JB wasn't the most accurate so I give Zach the benefit of the doubt.

I'd also note that a decent amount of Zach's yards came out of the slot, and a decent amount of yards on broken plays. Given the addition of Pittman, I think you'll see Zach play more from slot than previous years (28% and 25% slot snaps). He's really a tweener in terms of height and speed. He's a small X, but big slot, and I think he'll be most productive there (slot) with Rivers. 

17 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

If the Colts were in a critical game and had 3rd and 5 to have a chance, I’d feel safer going to JD.

If there Colts were in the RZ, and down 6 with time running out, I'd want Ebron. 

Like I said before, they are different types of TEs. Ebron is a detached TE, Doyle more blocking/possession. On running downs, Doyle. On short yardage downs, Doyle. On RZ or long yardage downs, Ebron. 

• Like 1

Of course not, he can actually catch, block and be an awesome teammate 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Of course not, he can actually catch, block and be an awesome teammate 

This is, perhaps, a better, more concise way of saying it. 

• Thanks 1

Doyle job is protect Rivers and catch make third down conversions.He is a great fit if he’s healthy if not won’t bode well for a Super Bowl run.

5 hours ago, Jdubu said:

He had an avg year in the terms of a wr in the nfl, he maybe stood out for a guy who hasn’t had much attention in his 4 years on the team. I’d hardly call what Zach did as eye popping for the league, he just made nice showings for this team, this season. I’ll give Zach the credit he deserves for stepping his game up and making the catches he could but again, I stand behind the statement that JB did no favors for this team with his play. 

I don't disagree about JB......

Pascal has progressed nicely for an UDFA - even one who left his school (ODU) as their all time leading receiver.

2019 - 41 - 607 - 14.8 - 5

2018 - 27 - 268 - 9.9 - 2

2017 - Wash & Ten Practice Squads

He is still a 4th, 5th or 6th WR on most teams UNLESS his development is real!??!

• Like 1

The second the Steelers come into some adversity Ebron will quit on them too just like he did with the Lions and us. His character is fragile like glass.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

The second the Steelers come into some adversity Ebron will quit on them too just like he did with the Lions and us. His character is fragile like glass.

Animated GIF

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2020 at 9:45 PM, bravo4460 said:

Your right... Doyle can run block and catch the ball unlike Ebron.

Exactly!

17 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I think the difference between Doyle and Ebron is, EE was blessed with god given talents where as Doyle was more blessed with workmanship like qualities. EE has taken his job and talent for granted and just expects he will win all matchups, doesn’t need to work on his craft to be the greatest at his position , ala Peyton Manning style or the creeper that is now in Tampa Bay LoL. Doyle wants to be the beat at his craft but doesn’t have the talent to be that, he does have the will and drive to keep working at 100% ala a Manning/Brady to be the best player he possibly can be. He is getting every ounce of talent out of his body that he possibly can because he absolutely puts effort in working on it whereas I don’t think EE gave more than 75% effort in trying to achieve that pinnacle of being the best of the best. Just always gave just what his talents would allow him with minimal effort. 

that’s what I feel like separates the two. 

Yes, I'll throw Dallas Clark in there to since were talking about TE's and heart and Dallas had both. I was a big Dallas Clark fan needless to say. 

• Like 1