Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

League wide realighnment

crazycolt1

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Packers and Bears have fielded good teams.  Do u think there would still be a rivalry if the packers made the play offs for 10 years and the Bears didnt?

I think so.    The longevity of the rivalry keeps it alive and well.  It just has the potential of being a much bigger rivalry game if both teams are good.   Kind of like Ohio State and Michigan.   It still is a decent rivalry for both schools and the fans even though Ohio State has won 1 of the last 16 games.  If Michigan would start winning a few, it would grow.  

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Myles said:

I think so.    The longevity of the rivalry keeps it alive and well.  It just has the potential of being a much bigger rivalry game if both teams are good.   Kind of like Ohio State and Michigan.   It still is a decent rivalry for both schools and the fans even though Ohio State has won 1 of the last 16 games.  If Michigan would start winning a few, it would grow.  

It's a rivalry because Ohio State is the standard and Michigan is very good but just can't get by them. Thats how rivalries develop.  If Ohio State was the standard and Michigan was crap for years, there would b nothing. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It's a rivalry because Ohio State is the standard and Michigan is very good but just can't get by them. Thats how rivalries develop.  If Ohio State was the standard and Michigan was crap for years, there would b nothing

I mis typed.  Ohio State has won 15 of the last 16 games.  It's still a huge rivalry game.  

Ohio State has been dominating the series in almost the biggest way possible, but it is still a huge rivalry.

26 minutes ago, Myles said:

I mis typed.  Ohio State has won 15 of the last 16 games.  It's still a huge rivalry game.  

Ohio State has been dominating the series in almost the biggest way possible, but it is still a huge rivalry.

Because it has been Michigan and Ohio 1 and 2 for many many years.  

As a long time Longhorns fan it seems most rivalries are fan based. 

It's just sad to me how crazy fans can get. 

I read years ago about this Longhorns fan who walked into a Sooners bar and got castrated just for being a Texas fan. 

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

As a long time Longhorns fan it seems most rivalries are fan based. 

It's just sad to me how crazy fans can get. 

I read years ago about this Longhorns fan who walked into a Sooners bar and got castrated just for being a Texas fan. 

I told him not to wear those damn antlers. 

On 5/13/2020 at 10:27 PM, crazycolt1 said:

True that. Even after 35 years Baltimore still refuses to put "Colts" on their scoreboard. They put Indy instead. Maybe Cleveland should put Balt on theirs? lol

That was true for many years, but they put Colts on the scoreboard now .  If Cleveland wants to put Balt on the scoreboard , go for it. 

On 5/13/2020 at 11:08 PM, danlhart87 said:

Baltimore will always have a rivalry with Colts but their success last 20 years winning 2 superbowls helps diminish that. I'm glad both teams are very successful since the move. 

I would welcome the Colts into the AFC North. It kind of fits. As for Baltimore, I go back to the NFL Coastal Division days with the Colts, then the merger into the AFC with Pittsburgh and Cleveland , the AFC East days, losing the team, coming back as the Ravens , being in a division with Jacksonville and TN, and now in the AFC North. 

We really don’t fit in with Philly, NY , or Boston because we are mid - Atlantic. Although Baltimore is certainly not a mid- western city, it fits in more with Cleveland , Pittsburgh , and Cincy as blue collar type towns. I wouldn’t call Indy blue collar, but it may be a better fit than the AFC South.  
Honestly, I would picture you guys fitting in more with Green Bay, Chicago, and Detroit. 
Anyway, I would welcome seeing the Colts twice a year, but the Pittsburgh rivalry has become awesome for the Ravens. 
At this point, even though it’s technically the same franchise, most in Baltimore view the Baltimore and Indy Colts as separate entities from different eras , much like the Brooklyn and LA Dodgers. Still, time moves on, and I think most of the moving bitterness is gone, and it could be a great rivalry between the Colts and Ravens. 

On 5/13/2020 at 5:25 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Just ask the fans of the Baltimore Colts when the Indianapolis Colts come to town.  :D

Ah, they are just folks who like to complain.... None of them were going to Colts games the last few seasons before the move, so it's not like they cared then...lol

2 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

That was true for many years, but they put Colts on the scoreboard now .  If Cleveland wants to put Balt on the scoreboard , go for it. 

After thinking about this I seem to remember it was the NFL league who told Baltimore they had to use "Colts" on their scoreboard, not that Baltimore had quit being spiteful. 

On 5/15/2020 at 11:49 AM, crazycolt1 said:

After thinking about this I seem to remember it was the NFL league who told Baltimore they had to use "Colts" on their scoreboard, not that Baltimore had quit being spiteful. 

Incorrect. The Ravens did this on their own accord. If the NFL deal was true, they would have done it long before that. 

On 5/15/2020 at 11:49 AM, Shafty138 said:

Ah, they are just folks who like to complain.... None of them were going to Colts games the last few seasons before the move, so it's not like they cared then...lol

They basically mourned losing the Carroll Rosenbloom Baltimore Colts , not the shell of the late 70’s, early 80’s Bob Irsay Colts. 
I don’t care if you were in Baltimore, Indy, or Timbuktu, I doubt many of you would have wanted to pay your hard earned dollars for the product Irsay put on the field. 
That’s not even counting the demoralizing Elway saga, where he traded a top 5 all time quarterback for Chris Hinton, Mark Herman , a #1 pick, and two exhibition games in Denver because they pay well ! It’s easy to take shots when you don’t know the full story. 

43 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

They basically mourned losing the Carroll Rosenbloom Baltimore Colts , not the shell of the late 70’s, early 80’s Bob Irsay Colts. 
I don’t care if you were in Baltimore, Indy, or Timbuktu, I doubt many of you would have wanted to pay your hard earned dollars for the product Irsay put on the field. 
That’s not even counting the demoralizing Elway saga, where he traded a top 5 all time quarterback for Chris Hinton, Mark Herman , a #1 pick, and two exhibition games in Denver because they pay well ! It’s easy to take shots when you don’t know the full story. 

In fairness it was a two way street.

Bob Irsay was put in a corner by Elway. 

Bob Irsay wanted a new stadium like most of the NFL owners were getting during those times. For anyone to think that Memorial Stadium was playable for a NFL team was a joke. A few years later Baltimore built that new stadium and got the Ravens (Browns) from Cleveland. For you to even bring money into the picture when the Browns moving to Baltimore was a pure money move by Art Modell. 

It has been well documented that Bob had a problem with alcohol and it showed in his dealing with the media and his businesses. 

It ended with both cities being happy so it's all good in the end. 

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

In fairness it was a two way street.

Bob Irsay was put in a corner by Elway. 

Bob Irsay wanted a new stadium like most of the NFL owners were getting during those times. For anyone to think that Memorial Stadium was playable for a NFL team was a joke. A few years later Baltimore built that new stadium and got the Ravens (Browns) from Cleveland. For you to even bring money into the picture when the Browns moving to Baltimore was a pure money move by Art Modell. 

It has been well documented that Bob had a problem with alcohol and it showed in his dealing with the media and his businesses. 

It ended with both cities being happy so it's all good in the end. 

I think you can go back to Carroll Rosenbloom. Baltimore should definitely have built the Colts a new stadium, mainly for Rosenbloom , but they could have done it for Irsay also. The 2 PM blue laws didn’t help either , or the incompetent Baltimore politicians that exist to this day. However , as you said, things worked out in the long run for Baltimore and Indy. 

Now as far as the Elway saga goes, Bob painted himself in a corner. He could have called Elway’s bluff, and let him toil as a scrub in the Yankees farm system , until he came to his senses, and signed later with the Colts. 

He could have also not interfered with GM   Ernie Accorsi , who could have gotten a much better deal for Elway, and maybe gotten Marino. Instead , Irsay took the worst deal on the table, and let the Denver owner completely fleece him. 

The money aspect I brought up mainly pertained to a comment about poor Baltimore attendance at the end of the Colts era. My point there is attendance sags in all cities when a horrific product is put on the field. People forget you couldn’t get a ticket for a Colt’s game from 1958-1971. All sold out during that time when most NFL towns hardly ever sold out every game. 

Yes, the Browns move was all about money. That was one of the lessons of the Colt’s move. You guys smartly built Jim a new stadium before he could take the LA deal. Don’t think it couldn’t happen , it’s all about business. I’m wondering how many Indy Colt fans would have followed , “ The Shoe, “ to LA had they moved, especially if they could get an expansion franchise ? An interesting what if. 

I've gotten used to the 4-team divisions, but I'd move Miami to the AFC South, Baltimore to the East, & Colts to the North.  Seems like the most geographically logical thing to do.  

The NFC is actually pretty good, except for Dallas.  I would have the Cowboys trade divisions with Carolina, but that'll never happen.  

On 5/17/2020 at 11:54 AM, The Old Crow said:

I agree with most of this except I don't have Elway near the top 5 all time QB's.  

6 hours ago, TonyBungee said:

I've gotten used to the 4-team divisions, but I'd move Miami to the AFC South, Baltimore to the East, & Colts to the North.  Seems like the most geographically logical thing to do.  

The NFC is actually pretty good, except for Dallas.  I would have the Cowboys trade divisions with Carolina, but that'll never happen.  

Jerruh may not be immortal, so there's a chance. But, as you said, I don't expect that in any near future.

Different topic but I disagree regarding Elway, he is Top 5 ever IMO. He threw over 50,000 yards in an era where only Marino did it. His team won 2 SB's and he was MVP in one of them, he also won League MVP in 1987 and led his teams to 5 SB's. He also had a huge clutch gene. My Mt Rushmore = Unitas (50's/60's), Montana (80's/90's), Peyton (90's/2000's/2010's), Brady (2000's/2010's). Elway is at #5 and just missed it, JMO. He was great in the 80's and 90's.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Different topic but I disagree regarding Elway, he is Top 5 ever IMO. He threw over 50,000 yards in an era where only Marino did it. His team won 2 SB's and he was MVP in one of them, he also won League MVP in 1987 and led his teams to 5 SB's. He also had a huge clutch gene. My Mt Rushmore = Unitas (50's/60's), Montana (80's/90's), Peyton (90's/2000's/2010's), Brady (2000's/2010's). Elway is at #5 and just missed it, JMO. He was great in the 80's and 90's.

While we all have different opinions I would put Bart Starr above Elway. 

He won 5 championships and is quite often overlooked. 

Bart Starr had a passer rating of 104.1 and was 9-1 in post season. 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

While we all have different opinions I would put Bart Starr above Elway. 

He won 5 championships and is quite often overlooked. 

Bart Starr had a passer rating of 104.1 and was 9-1 in post season. 

I can see people saying even Otto Graham could be ranked higher, like you said it is tough to compare era's but I still have Elway at 5.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can see people saying even Otto Graham could be ranked higher, like you said it is tough to compare era's but I still have Elway at 5.

It is very tough to compare different eras no doubt.

It's not really fair to those QBs who played in an era where the QB got pounded into the ground compared to the era what I call Air Coryell. (also the Bill Walsh era) 

We could say that a QB like Sammy Baugh was as great as any QB just for the fact that he lead the league in passing, punting and defensively lead the league in interceptions.   Jeez, he had one game where he threw for 4 TDs and intercepted the opposing QB 4 times. Just thinking about that blows my mind. :mindblow:

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's all just opinion so you are not wrong.   I disagree though.   I's have many QB's over Elway.  

Not in order:

Marino

Manning

Brady

Young

Montana

Unitas

Graham

Brees

Favre

After those would be the Elway, Rodgers ect.....

I'll take a shot at division realignment.

Keeping AFC/NFC

NYJ, NE, Buffalo, Baltimore

NYG, Phila, Wash, Carolina

Cleve, Pitt, Indy, Cincy

GB, Minn, Chicago, Detroit

Tenn, Jack, Miami, Houston

Atlanta, Tampa, New Orleans, Dallas

No changes to western divisions

Getting rid of AFC/NFC

NYJ, NYG, NE, Buffalo

Balt, Wash, Phila, Pitt

Indy, Cleve, Cincy, KC

Det, GB, Minn, Chicago

Tampa, Miami, Jack, Carolina (first 5-11 team to make playoffs!)

Houston, NO, Tenn, Atlanta

Denver, Las Vegas, Arizona, Dallas

LAR, LAC, San Fran, Seattle

On 2nd thought, could move Tenn back to Colts division, KC out to Denver, Arizona, LV, and get Dallas in with Houston, N.O. and Atlanta

Getting rid of AFC/NFC

NYJ, NYG, NE, Buffalo

Balt, Wash, Phila, Pitt

Indy, Cleve, Cincy, Tenn

Det, GB, Minn, Chicago

Tampa, Miami, Jack, Carolina (first 5-11 team to make playoffs!)

Houston, NO, Dallas, Atlanta

Denver, Las Vegas, Arizona, KC

LAR, LAC, San Fran, Seattle

Yeah that looks great, with or without getting rid of conference restrictions. 

Anyway, if the league decides to move on from some of the established rivalries, it would all make sense.

As long as they're sticking to original affiliations, a meaningful realignment, either geographically or any other sensical approach, isn't happening, which should.

Archived