Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

League wide realighnment

crazycolt1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Should the league make changes to the conferences and divisions? 

Geographically it makes sense. 

I did like a personal dissertation on this and actually sent it to the NFL.  Unfortunately I didn't transfer it from my last PC, so it's lost.  :(

I even had a graphic with colored bubbles showing the most logical division alignment.  It looked something like the following:

5ae8d19d19ee86fa278b4733?width=1136&form

If not for the traditional rivalries like Cowboys-Giants, it makes much more sense to re-align the divisions geographically.

I found the email I sent to the NFL.

More teams means more professional football players playing for the NFL instead of a competitors' league.  This expansion would effectively snuff out any attempt at forming a football league to compete with the NFL by having an NFL team in almost every major market in America.  The NFL Combine and Draft could be expanded.  With college football churning out more and more NFL-ready prospects, there is plenty to draw from in terms of a competitive workforce.  Expansion teams could be competitive within a season or two.  Andrew Luck probably makes this an unfair comparison, but look at what the Colts did in 2012.  They went from a 2-14 record to 11-5 while making the playoffs.  They overturned most of that roster in a two year period, and still became very competitive very fast.

I believe adding four teams would be ideal.  Based on population and geography, the best locations for new teams would be Los Angeles, Portland, Las Vegas, and Oklahoma City.  This would change the structure of the divisions since there would now be 18 teams in both conferences.  I believe three divisions of six teams would be ideal.  I think restructuring the divisions based on geography would be easy and very satisfactory.  Here is the breakdown:

image.png.012b402d034667ae5ccf061a63a9c16c.png

Basically, I advocated adding 4 teams to make 36 total.  That would be 18 teams per conference (Eastern conference and Western Conference), and 3 divisions with 6 teams each.

There would be setbacks to this expansion.  Building and filling stadiums is one obstacle.  There might be some resistance to changing long-standing inter-divisional rivalries.  The St. Louis Rams(?) might feel left out of the rivalries in the North, but if the Rams move to L.A., then St. Louis is starting from scratch anyway.  Miami would basically have to start new in-state rivalries.

image.thumb.png.3a4d6bdb470a08c7fac10133b26a340c.png

I know the bubbles aren't very representative, but you get the idea.  :thmup:

Under this format, the schedule could logically be moved to more than 16 games since there will be more inter-divisional games to play.  The playoffs could include 16 teams instead of 12. Eight teams from each conference means the two best teams from each division plus two wild-card teams would compete to represent their conference in the Super Bowl.

Everything considered, I believe this will make the divisions more competitive, which will fuel new and existing rivalries to new heights.  The winner of each division, as well as the team with the next best record in each conference will get home-field advantage in the playoffs.  I believe normal playoff rules would apply to the rest of the tournament as they do now.  Theoretically, four teams from one division could make the playoffs.

I've obviously put some thought into this subject in the past.  Glad you brought this up @crazycolt1!!!  :hat:

I just realized...

27 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The winner of each division, as well as the team with the next best record in each conference will get home-field advantage in the playoffs.  I believe normal playoff rules would apply to the rest of the tournament as they do now.

...  isn't really feasible because the bottom 4 would have to travel to the top 4 in the first week of the playoffs.  (no bye week for anybody, which is a good thing depending on how you look at rest-vs-momentum)  You can't have 6 teams with a home game when there's only gonna be 4 games...  O.o

So the 3 division winners, plus the next-best record would get a home game the first week of the playoffs.  While the other two 2nd-place division teams and the two wild-card teams would be the visitors during "wild card" weekend.

Sorry if I'm taking over this thread @crazycolt1, but this is stuff that's been in the back of my mind for years.  haha

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Should the league make changes to the conferences and divisions? 

Geographically it makes sense. 

1) I don't believe they should.  Even if not making geographic sense, there are great rivalries within the divisions that exist now.

2) The league most certainly will not make any changes.

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

1) I don't believe they should.  Even if not making geographic sense, there are great rivalries within the divisions that exist now.

For monetary reasons, the NFL will most certainly make changes in the future.  Division-wise, rule-wise, etc.

The rivalries will continue to exist, regardless.

Just ask the fans of the Baltimore Colts when the Indianapolis Colts come to town.  :D

51 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

For monetary reasons, the NFL will most certainly make changes in the future.  Division-wise, rule-wise, etc.

The rivalries will continue to exist, regardless.

Just ask the fans of the Baltimore Colts when the Indianapolis Colts come to town.  :D

The topic is realignment of divisions.  There will be no realignment if they stay the same with 32 teams.  

Dallas will always be in the NFC East.  KC will always be in the AFC West.  And so on and so on.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Well the Colts have been moved at least two times and how has that effected the rivalries? 

The Colts played the Jets in super bowl in 1969 and then ended up in the same division. Now they are not.

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

The topic is realignment of divisions.  There will be no realignment if they stay the same with 32 teams.  

Dallas will always be in the NFC East.  KC will always be in the AFC West.  And so on and so on.

No the topic is league wide alignment. 

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well the Colts have been moved at least two times and how has that effected the rivalries? 

The Colts played the Jets in super bowl in 1969 and then ended up in the same division. Now they are not.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

No the topic is league wide alignment. 

Thank you @crazycolt1.  The Colts were one of the original and most recognizable/influential brands of the original NFL.

For the NFL to not only reassign the Colts to the AFC, but to put them in a division (AFC South) with not only two expansion teams (Texans and Jags) but also a relocated team (Titans) not only speaks to the NFL being willing to restructure divisions, but also completely upset traditional rivalries.

The history of the Colts is a perfect example of the NFL being willing to re-align for their own interests.  Dallas will not "always be in the NFC East", and KC will not "always be in the AFC West" if the NFL decides to re-align.

7 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Just ask yourself a question.

Just how the hades did Dallas in up in a east division at all? 

The thing is with the cost and time of travel wouldn't it make sense to have the team closer to each other? How about the fan basses? Wouldn't it insure the stadiums were filled if the fans were close enough to travel? 

IMO the rivalries would even get stronger. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO the rivalries would even get stronger.

That's what I think, too.

I feel like rivalries will flourish more when the teams are closer geographically.  :dunno:

If all the teams in FL, TX, NY, and CA were in the same respective divisions, we'd have fun competitions for the "King of NY", "King of Texas", "King of Florida", "King of Cali-forny-way" etc.  :thmup:

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

image.thumb.png.3a4d6bdb470a08c7fac10133b26a340c.png

I know the bubbles aren't very representative, but you get the idea.  :thmup:

I've obviously put some thought into this subject in the past.  Glad you brought this up @crazycolt1!!!  :hat:

I think it is a great off season thread.

No disagreement on our own team and it's thought provoking. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think it is a great off season thread.

No disagreement on our own team and it's thought provoking. 

No doubt this an ideal offseason thread.  (I'm lovin it, and thank you)

I would have brought this up years ago, but I would have felt foolish and I didn't want to derail otherwise reasonable discussions.

Looking back on my original email to the NFL, I realize I had some valid points that have actually happened (LA, Las Vegas) and might have a point about geographical re-alignment.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I haven't read any of he Posts on this thread but technically we should be AFC North with Cincy, Pitt, Balt, and Cleveland.

THANK YOU!

In my re-alignment, we're in the same division as all the AFCN teams, plus Detroit.

I think that provides some great rivalry-games with Indy-Pitt, Indy-Balt, Indy-Cinc, Indy-Cleve, etc.  :thmup:

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I haven't read any of the Posts on this thread but technically we should be AFC North with Cincy, Pitt, Balt, and Cleveland.

This is what I was saying. It should be that way for all the NFL teams IMO.

I say take it even farther with conference changes. 

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

THANK YOU!

In my re-alignment, we're in the same division as all the AFCN teams, plus Detroit.

I think that provides some great rivalry-games with Indy-Pitt, Indy-Balt, Indy-Cinc, Indy-Cleve, etc.  :thmup:

A great one would be = Indy, Cincy, Cleveland, Chicago.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A great one would be = Indy, Cincy, Cleveland, Chicago.

YES!  This is what I'm talking about.

I was going for East vs West (as in east of the MS River and west of the MS River), but if we swap CHI and DET, that puts the Bears in the Colts division with the rest of the (current) AFC North, and the Lions in the division with the  "Northwestern" division.

I like that more.  It puts the Lions in the same division as the Packers and Vikings, and they're more "north" than the Bears, geographically.  The Lions can retain their rivalries with the Packers and Vikings, while the Bears can enhance their rivalry with the Colts and AFC North.  The "Midwestern Division" will be the "Defensive Division".

source.gif

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just think if all three NY teams and Philly were in the same division? 

Talk about a rivalry, geez. 

I think they should be.

A Northeastern Division would be one of the best divisions in the NFL.

Pats, Bills, both NYC teams, Philly, DC... that might be the most competitive division in the NFL...

Of course, if I had my way, the Midwest Division would be the most competitive.... Indy, Chi, Bal, Pit, Cin, Cle...

Defense wins the Midwest Division.  And it wins championships.  :lombardi:

1 minute ago, fahlman said:

Miami does not belong in the AFC East.

Baltimore does belong in the AFC East

Indianapolis belongs in the AFC North

Dallas does not belong in the NFC East.

The New York teams belong in different conferences.

Sort the rest out however you like.

Hmmm...  So Miami belongs in the AFC Southeast, Baltimore belongs in the AFC Midwest, Indy belongs in the AFC Midwest, and Dallas belongs in the NFC Southwest?

Putting both NYC teams in the Northeast Division seems to be your only beef?

I don't see how two NYC teams can be in two different divisions geographically, but if you have a valid argument, I'd love to hear it.  :thmup:

Southern region

Texans 

Cowboys

Dolphins 

Buccaneers 

Jaguars 

Panthers

Saints

Titans 

Northern Region 

Bears 

Lions 

Vikings 

Packers 

Colts

Bengals 

Browns

Ravens

Western Region

Seahawks 

Raiders 

Broncos 

Chiefs

Chargers

Rams

49ers

Cardinals 

Eastern Region

Jets

Patriots 

Giants 

Bills 

Steelers 

Eagles

Falcons 

Redskins 

Get rid of divisions 

alternate home and road each year

Play 4 home and 4 road in own region 

Play 4 home and 4 road other region 

playoffs are top 3 from each region 

1 seeds get bye 

3 seed plays at 2 seed

by the final four is based on seeding 

highest seed plays lowest seed

If all 1 seeds many factors go in 

. win percentage

. sos

etc...

35 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Southern region

Texans 

Cowboys

Dolphins 

Buccaneers 

Jaguars 

Panthers

Saints

Titans 

Northern Region 

Bears 

Lions 

Vikings 

Packers 

Colts

Bengals 

Browns

Ravens

Western Region

Seahawks 

Raiders 

Broncos 

Chiefs

Chargers

Rams

49ers

Cardinals 

Eastern Region

Jets

Patriots 

Giants 

Bills 

Steelers 

Eagles

Falcons 

Redskins 

Get rid of divisions 

alternate home and road each year

Play 4 home and 4 road in own region 

Play 4 home and 4 road other region 

playoffs are top 3 from each region 

1 seeds get bye 

3 seed plays at 2 seed

by the final four is based on seeding 

highest seed plays lowest seed

If all 1 seeds many factors go in 

. win percentage

. sos

etc...

I like the concept. 

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I like the concept. 

some rivalries would change but being in same region might assist that 

i can't speak for everywhere but being in texas cowboys and texans are huge rivals and I could see it elsewhere too 

bears and colts

jets and giants 

steelers and eagles 

etc 

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

some rivalries would change but being in same region might assist that 

i can't speak for everywhere but being in texas cowboys and texans are huge rivals and I could see it elsewhere too 

bears and colts

jets and giants 

steelers and eagles 

etc 

If it wasn’t for Jay Cutler and now Ben Braunecker the Bears would not be relevant in the Pocket

In the Pocket the rivals are Tenn and even Jax

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

ravens and colts would be fantastic rivals too with their history 

True that. Even after 35 years Baltimore still refuses to put "Colts" on their scoreboard. They put Indy instead. Maybe Cleveland should put Balt on theirs? lol

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

For Baltimore fans or older fans that would be great but I was 6 when the Colts moved And barely remember the Baltimore Colts

Ravens have always been tough match for us and have a feeling the both of us would dominate the North region.

Which team will be 

GIF by Mashable

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

For Baltimore fans or older fans that would be great but I was 6 when the Colts moved And barely remember the Baltimore Colts

I am one of the holdover Colts fan. I became a Colt fan in 1973 when they drafted the Ruston Rifle. I had a family member that lived in Baton Rouge and went to LSU when he was there. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am one of the holdover Colts fan. I became a Colt fan in 1973 when they drafted the Ruston Rifle. I had a family member that lived in Baton Rouge and went to LSU when he was there. 

The Baltimore-Indianapolis rivalry and a Bears Colts rivalry kind of fall under the same umbrella     
      If I told kids today that the Colts were in originally Baltimore and the Bears had training camp in Indiana they would laugh at me

Archived