Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Isaiah Rodgers

CR91

17 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Think he’ll make the team?  Maybe take over return duty to keep Hines and Parris from getting hurt.  

Needs to put some weight on first. He's too small.

41 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Unless he absolutely steps on it, he will make the team as the back-up slot corner and T.J. Carrie can slide over to that Dime Backer role that Geathers played the last couple of years. Besides, they typically have kept 6 CB's on the roster in the past.

Wow, you're right.  I forgot how bare that shelf is right now.  Rock should improve, Kenny is a star when he's healthy, and we're counting on Rhodes to return to form.  Tell is still a work in progress.  Carrie is a decent backup at best.

Still, he has to perform on STs to make the team.

4 hours ago, Hoose said:

Full time kick and punt returner (keeps Hines upright and an impact player on the O). Gunner as well. He's a lightning bug out there. 

Maybe.  If Hines can score TD returning punts he needs to keep doing it.  We are 2 deep at the RB position and Paris will be working out of the slot with possibly TY transitioning into the slot as well. Hines is the type of player that will get touches in a variety of ways including returning kicks. 

16 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Maybe.  If Hines can score TD returning punts he needs to keep doing it.  We are 2 deep at the RB position and Paris will be working out of the slot with possibly TY transitioning into the slot as well. Hines is the type of player that will get touches in a variety of ways including returning kicks. 

I do get that. After Hines tore it up, you'd think he'd be the full time punt returner. But its a dangerous job, and the hits come fast and furious. I foresee Hines' role in the offense getting more important and diversified this year. Because of that, if you have a guy who can do the job almost as well, why not use him instead and avoid the risk of injuries to Hines....especially for a team that has been consistently plagued with the injury bug. JMO. 

16 hours ago, Hoose said:

I do get that. After Hines tore it up, you'd think he'd be the full time punt returner. But its a dangerous job, and the hits come fast and furious. I foresee Hines' role in the offense getting more important and diversified this year. Because of that, if you have a guy who can do the job almost as well, why not use him instead and avoid the risk of injuries to Hines....especially for a team that has been consistently plagued with the injury bug. JMO. 

I get what you are saying as well.  We will see how his roll develops this year.  Football is a dangerous sport.  I just think it’s worth the risk with your #3 back and #4 receiver to have him return punts.  Now if he is moved up the depth chart due to injuries I could see the need for limiting exposure.  The point of a player like Hines is to get the ball in his hand where he can make people miss.  Be that on 3rd down as a back, working out of the slot or returning kicks.  Getting the guy 10 touches a game is a priority but needs to be in ways it allows our 1-2 running back punch and TY, Paris and Pittman on the field as well to not telegraph plays.  Will be fun to watch for sure bc there is a lot of perceived depth on offense.  Let’s see if these guys come through. 

How many guys a year get hurt returning kicks?  I don't seem to remember a lot of return guys being the ones getting hurt.... If they know how to call for a fair catch, they aren't getting hit any harder than they would be on any long run or catch.... Its the blockers and kicking team guys that get drilled ...

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew Walker posted a fantastic article about how the Colts scouted Isaiah. Derice was high on him for a long time, got Jon Shaw and Ballard on board. Then covid hit, and everything got crazy. He tells the story from the Colts' perspective as well as from Isaiah's perspective. It's a really good read.

https://www.colts.com/news/isaiah-rodgers-umass-cornerback-returner-covid-19-pro-day-nfl-draft

Archived