Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
throwing BBZ

A really nice piece.

Recommended Posts

Love the way they use the TE, especially Doyle.  Mo-Allie had a down year, probably due to injuries.

 

With adding Burton and Nix, it will give them even more possibilities in the run game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Love the way they use the TE, especially Doyle.  Mo-Allie had a down year, probably due to injuries.

 

With adding Burton and Nix, it will give them even more possibilities in the run game.

Isn't one hyphen enough? I dunno if I can get used to Mo-Allie-Cox lol j/k

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Love the way they use the TE, especially Doyle.  Mo-Allie had a down year, probably due to injuries.

 

With adding Burton and Nix, it will give them even more possibilities in the run game.

 

I'm not sure that MAC had a 'down' year.  That implies that at some point he had an 'up' year. He only played in 9 games and recorded 7 catches in 2018.  He had more yards per catch, but so did just about everyone when Luck was the QB compared to Brissett.  In 2019, Mo Alie-Cox had 8 catches.

 

I know he's a good athlete, being a former college basketball player and all... but he's still never proven to be more than a project in the NFL.  He seems to hold his own as a blocker and he's made some very nice/athletic catches, but over 2 years he only has 15 total catches... given the lack of depth we have at TE right now, I expect he makes the team unless we sign someone else, but I am certainly not ready to put all my eggs in one basket on him ever having an 'up' year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

 

I'm not sure that MAC had a 'down' year.  That implies that at some point he had an 'up' year. He only played in 9 games and recorded 7 catches in 2018.  He had more yards per catch, but so did just about everyone when Luck was the QB compared to Brissett.  In 2019, Mo Alie-Cox had 8 catches.

 

I know he's a good athlete, being a former college basketball player and all... but he's still never proven to be more than a project in the NFL.  He seems to hold his own as a blocker and he's made some very nice/athletic catches, but over 2 years he only has 15 total catches... given the lack of depth we have at TE right now, I expect he makes the team unless we sign someone else, but I am certainly not ready to put all my eggs in one basket on him ever having an 'up' year. 

 

Yeah, I didn't phrase that correctly.  I should have said I had higher expectations for him after 2018.  We all knew he was a good blocker, but I expected him to be used more as a receiver in 19.  Some of that was due to the emphasis to run the ball.

 

This is probably old news to most of you, but I think I just realized it: None of the TE's on our roster were drafted.

 

This is not to say that Doyle and Burton haven't had really good careers, I just find it odd.   

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping for a nice pic of a hot chick when I opened this thread.

:D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

 

Yeah, I didn't phrase that correctly.  I should have said I had higher expectations for him after 2018.  We all knew he was a good blocker, but I expected him to be used more as a receiver in 19.  Some of that was due to the emphasis to run the ball.

 

This is probably old news to most of you, but I think I just realized it: None of the TE's on our roster were drafted.

 

This is not to say that Doyle and Burton haven't had really good careers, I just find it odd.   

 

 

 

It is sort of odd, especially considering the past 25 years of TEs on the Colts.  Ken Dilger was a 2nd round pick in 1995 and was with us until 2001.  In 2002 we had Pollard (undrafted, but had already solidified himself as a solid NFL player).  Then in 2003 we used a 1st rounder on Clark who was around until 2011.  In 2004 we got Hartsock in the 3rd round.  In 2008 we took Tamme in round 4 and Santi in round 6.  In 2010 we took Eldridge in round 5.  Then in 2012 when Clark left, we took Fleener at 34 and Allen at 64.  In 2013 we took Justice Cunningham in round 7.  

 

In 2017, Ballard's first year here, we had no drafted TEs on the roster (granted Doyle was coming off a 59 reception year and then had a pro-bowl year) .  In 2018, we signed Ebron who was a former first round pick.

 

Ballard seems to have his own 'rule book' in terms of what he thinks is important and what kind of traits he wants guys to have.  Reich has typically had a very high profile TE on his teams since he's been in the league... maybe Ballard just doesn't value that position as much?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

 

Yeah, I didn't phrase that correctly.  I should have said I had higher expectations for him after 2018.  We all knew he was a good blocker, but I expected him to be used more as a receiver in 19.  Some of that was due to the emphasis to run the ball.

 

This is probably old news to most of you, but I think I just realized it: None of the TE's on our roster were drafted.

 

This is not to say that Doyle and Burton haven't had really good careers, I just find it odd.   

 

 

It also should be remembered that he broke his hand and really couldnt catch they kept him active for blocking knowing he wasnt likely to catch

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

 

It is sort of odd, especially considering the past 25 years of TEs on the Colts.  Ken Dilger was a 2nd round pick in 1995 and was with us until 2001.  In 2002 we had Pollard (undrafted, but had already solidified himself as a solid NFL player).  Then in 2003 we used a 1st rounder on Clark who was around until 2011.  In 2004 we got Hartsock in the 3rd round.  In 2008 we took Tamme in round 4 and Santi in round 6.  In 2010 we took Eldridge in round 5.  Then in 2012 when Clark left, we took Fleener at 34 and Allen at 64.  In 2013 we took Justice Cunningham in round 7.  

 

In 2017, Ballard's first year here, we had no drafted TEs on the roster (granted Doyle was coming off a 59 reception year and then had a pro-bowl year) .  In 2018, we signed Ebron who was a former first round pick.

 

Ballard seems to have his own 'rule book' in terms of what he thinks is important and what kind of traits he wants guys to have.  Reich has typically had a very high profile TE on his teams since he's been in the league... maybe Ballard just doesn't value that position as much?

 

 

 

In the draft, that seems true.  He did bring Ebron in though.  Probably just circumstances where he had more valuable positions on his board compared to the TE's available.  Not exactly a great class this year, that's for sure.

 

It is kind of weird though.  I wonder if that's the only position on roster (except for K and P) where we don't have one guy who was drafted?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nadine said:

adorable chick GIF

 

There ya go

Looks like the chicks I had just recently got.   A dozen white leghorns.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

 

It is sort of odd, especially considering the past 25 years of TEs on the Colts.  Ken Dilger was a 2nd round pick in 1995 and was with us until 2001.  In 2002 we had Pollard (undrafted, but had already solidified himself as a solid NFL player).  Then in 2003 we used a 1st rounder on Clark who was around until 2011.  In 2004 we got Hartsock in the 3rd round.  In 2008 we took Tamme in round 4 and Santi in round 6.  In 2010 we took Eldridge in round 5.  Then in 2012 when Clark left, we took Fleener at 34 and Allen at 64.  In 2013 we took Justice Cunningham in round 7.  

 

In 2017, Ballard's first year here, we had no drafted TEs on the roster (granted Doyle was coming off a 59 reception year and then had a pro-bowl year) .  In 2018, we signed Ebron who was a former first round pick.

 

Ballard seems to have his own 'rule book' in terms of what he thinks is important and what kind of traits he wants guys to have.  Reich has typically had a very high profile TE on his teams since he's been in the league... maybe Ballard just doesn't value that position as much?

 

 

 

Considering he was hired in KC right after they drafted Kelce...and saw his impact firsthand for years...it is very curious that he hasn't really prioritized using draft capital on the position. 

 

2017 is the most perplexing...as he had traded Allen and the rest of the TE room consisted of Erik Swoope and Brandon Williams. And 2017 was a very stacked group. 

 

My hope was that he would take advantage of teams potentially looking to deal a TE. But now I hope he is sandbagging a bit because he knows next year's FA group could potentially have Henry, Engram, Howard and Njoku. Doyle is getting older and they have no young TEs developing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say is that, the offense this year could be really really good...Rivers doesn't have to be all world, just quick with his reads and efficient as a passer. He shouldn't have to force it very often and teams won't be able to stack the box either. This could open up the playbook and Reich could be VERY creative with plays. 


With a vastly improved D(on paper), this team could be a force. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Considering he was hired in KC right after they drafted Kelce...and saw his impact firsthand for years...it is very curious that he hasn't really prioritized using draft capital on the position. 

 

2017 is the most perplexing...as he had traded Allen and the rest of the TE room consisted of Erik Swoope and Brandon Williams. And 2017 was a very stacked group. 

 

My hope was that he would take advantage of teams potentially looking to deal a TE. But now I hope he is sandbagging a bit because he knows next year's FA group could potentially have Henry, Engram, Howard and Njoku. Doyle is getting older and they have no young TEs developing.

 

  He must feel good about the Burton signing based on what Reich told him he needed.
  We do have a boatload of offensive weapons now to exploit defenses.
  And i do think we are in good shape having the kind of guys that can attack inside the numbers.
   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

In the draft, that seems true.  He did bring Ebron in though.  Probably just circumstances where he had more valuable positions on his board compared to the TE's available.  Not exactly a great class this year, that's for sure.

 

It is kind of weird though.  I wonder if that's the only position on roster (except for K and P) where we don't have one guy who was drafted?

 

Yes, it's the only position besides K/P (I guess long snapper, too) where we don't have a single guy who was drafted on the current roster.

 

And yes, you're probably right.  As @shastamasta says below, he had Kelce in KC for a while then spent money to bring Ebron in here... and he wasn't exactly handed a very good team when he took over in Indy.  He had major overhauls to do to every unit on the team aside from K/P/LS (until last year w/ Vinny) and he also was probably smart taking Eason this year, even if there was a TE on the board that he coveted.... doubt he saw Luck's retirement coming that early.

 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

 

Considering he was hired in KC right after they drafted Kelce...and saw his impact firsthand for years...it is very curious that he hasn't really prioritized using draft capital on the position. 

 

2017 is the most perplexing...as he had traded Allen and the rest of the TE room consisted of Erik Swoope and Brandon Williams. And 2017 was a very stacked group. 

 

My hope was that he would take advantage of teams potentially looking to deal a TE. But now I hope he is sandbagging a bit because he knows next year's FA group could potentially have Henry, Engram, Howard and Njoku. Doyle is getting older and they have no young TEs developing.

 

Doyle was a probowler with 80 catches in 2017... we didn't have a lot of depth behind him, but it's pretty clear he was trying to help the D in that year's draft with 6 of 8 picks being on the defensive side.

 

56 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

All I can say is that, the offense this year could be really really good...Rivers doesn't have to be all world, just quick with his reads and efficient as a passer. He shouldn't have to force it very often and teams won't be able to stack the box either. This could open up the playbook and Reich could be VERY creative with plays. 


With a vastly improved D(on paper), this team could be a force. 

 

Sirianni, in a recent interview, said he plans on having such a good run game that teams are going to have to play a lot with a single high safety.  He said Rivers will be able to pick that apart if it comes to fruition.

 

"We feel like the addition of Pittman to our group of players and just Chris Ballard and his staff of adding just the talent that he's added to this with Jonathan Taylor. Then with the addition of our guys that we already have, that we'll elevate in that area with explosive playmakers that we have," Sirianni said. "Again, the more you run the ball, be able to run the football, the more they play one-high safeties, and we have one of the best big-play wideouts in the NFL with T.Y. Hilton. With the addition of Jonathan – with him and Marlon (Mack) being able to attack defense – and Nyheim (Hines) and Jordan (Wilkins), we just feel like again, you're going to see more one-high safety. We know that Philip (Rivers) can make them pay when they have that."

 

https://www.colts.com/news/nick-sirianni-philip-rivers-ty-hilton-jonathan-taylor-media-conference-call

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nadine said:

adorable chick GIF

 

There ya go

Hmmm... i thought i had some moves, And obviously Colonel Sanders is a legend, but I think i just met the king of chick whisperers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...