Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DC Matt Eberflus on Defensive Expectations

Rackeen305

I really appreciate this DC as he has brought the Colts to where the Defense is "Decent" for the first couple of years. Now with added talent, I believe Eberflus will shine this upcoming year. I really wanted DC Wade Phillips from the onset. But Eberflus has held his own, all things considered.

I haven’t listened yet but I didn’t like the tweet with him saying with the shortened off season they need to keep things simple. Finally after two years we don’t have a bunch of rookies starting it’s time to change things up so teams don’t know what is happening before the ball is snapped. We need to fix things and stop going Just in effort.

26 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

he's better suited for that and it helps that they have dominant people at the 3T so he doesn't have to play inside now. 

Scott Pennock kept calling for this move as well.  It does make sense as he made about 8 sacks a year from that spot.  Same story though because it all depends on the dudes health. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I haven’t listened yet but I didn’t like the tweet with him saying with the shortened off season they need to keep things simple. Finally after two years we don’t have a bunch of rookies starting it’s time to change things up so teams don’t know what is happening before the ball is snapped. We need to fix things and stop going Just in effort.

Chloe....    ask yourself this....

Whst is different about this year than any other year?    What is different about 2020 that has never happened before in the history of the NFL?   Hmm?

Answer that correctly and you’ll understand his tweet....

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I agree we should expect to be much more aggressive with more complexity.

To be honest, being complex gets us in to trouble. I’d rather have sound technique, a mastery of the main principles. Assignments get missed, tackles get sloppy... I want to see our rookie pass rushers improve their hands and feet. As the season plays out maybe we can kick it up a notch, but at the beginning we can still win with perfect basics. 

I assumed Lewis was the bigger, faster, stronger version of Jabaal Sheard when he was drafted.

(Jabaal Sheard 6-3, 268lb) (Tyquan lewis 6-3, 277lb)

Those are big shoes to fill however, because Sheard handled his business over there.

Being varied and flexible in order to shape your defensive scheme to the opponent is the future of defensive football in the NFL.  Guys leading that are Belichick and Fangio right now.

But all that aside the Colts are trending in the wrong direction.

2018 Scoring Defense: 21.2 (8th)

2019 Scoring Defense: 23.3 (18th)

Historically you want to be around 19ppg allowed or lower.  Lower the better.  If you have a top scoring offense that gives you some wiggle room too, it's all related of course (KC was 20.2 last year and won it all).  But the Colts right now really need big improvement on both sides of the ball to be where they need to be as a true contender.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

To be honest, being complex gets us in to trouble. I’d rather have sound technique, a mastery of the main principles. Assignments get missed, tackles get sloppy... I want to see our rookie pass rushers improve their hands and feet. As the season plays out maybe we can kick it up a notch, but at the beginning we can still win with perfect basics. 

What rookie pass rushers?

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:
2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

What rookie pass rushers?

I took him to mean Banogu and Green, who were rookies last season.

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I’m sure by keep it simple that he literally meant to run the high school version of this D. I bet they don’t disguise coverage or even come

out of their base D one time this year... 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

A great QB is going to pick a team apart if they know what your going to do before the ball is snapped.

A average QB will to, what’s your point? You should listen to the interview instead turning a 10-15 word tweet into a 10,000 word essay about how he envisions the D this year and assuming the worst. I feel confident in saying that Eburflus is in touch with the capabilities of his D, how it needs to function in order to win games, and that you don’t want great QB’s, or any QB, to know what the D is doing pre-snap. 

5 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I’m sure by keep it simple that he literally meant to run the high school version of this D. I bet they don’t disguise coverage or even come

out of their base D one time this year... 

A average QB will to, what’s your point? You should listen to the interview instead turning a 10-15 word tweet into a 10,000 word essay about how he envisions the D this year and assuming the worst. I feel confident in saying that Eburflus is in touch with the capabilities of his D, how it needs to function in order to win games, and that you don’t want great QB’s, or any QB, to know what the D is doing pre-snap. 

I said I haven’t listened. I will listen to it when I go to bed.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I said I haven’t listened. I will listen to it when I go to bed.

Right...but it hasn’t stopped

you from giving

your thoughts on what he said. I listened, I didn’t hear keep

it simple and run a vanilla D.

The question was about the different off season and not knowing exactly when they will be allowed to have the team together on the field. He said they were evaluating and he feels the team     that can adapt, adjust and over come adversity will be the ones that find success.  He then said he feels good about the young experience on this team and continuity. They need to play to the calls and principles of the D and keep it simple in the way they teach. 

That is not a direct quote, btw. 

5 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Being varied and flexible in order to shape your defensive scheme to the opponent is the future of defensive football in the NFL.  Guys leading that are Belichick and Fangio right now.

Historically you want to be around 19ppg allowed or lower.  Lower the better.  If you have a top scoring offense that gives you some wiggle room too, it's all related of course (KC was 20.2 last year and won it all).  But the Colts right now really need big improvement on both sides of the ball to be where they need to be as a true contender.

The problem is that when u criticize last year's defence, people jump all over u. The Colts defence had been horrid in stretches and here is hoping the young guys step up and Buckner is the difference maker

4 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

I took him to mean Banogu and Green, who were rookies last season.

I’d also add Turay and Lewis to that group.   We really haven’t seen much of any of the four of them so far.  

This year we need more than just seeing them, we need for them to step up and produce.  

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The problem is that when u criticize last year's defence, people jump all over u. The Colts defence had been horrid in stretches and here is hoping the young guys step up and Buckner is the difference maker

I see plenty of folks here critical of last seasons defense.  Who's jumping to their defense in an irrational manner?

7 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

In 2018, Al Woods made all the difference and it was no secret that his presence helped turn a weak Dline into a respectable one overnight!  We all seen it but for some reason this staff thought it was all due to rookie sensation D Leonard.  Fast forward to 2019 when this D took a major step back and its a no brainer the lack of a force on the Dline being the culprit.  This is why many are overlooking the Deforest Buckner trade and what he brings to the table.  I love Al Woods but he is no Buckner and please remember once Darius Leonard has yet again an All Pro yr to thank the guys in the trenches.  Ballard learned his lesson the hard way. 

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Its no secret that the Colts Defense took a major step back last yr so who in their right mind would argue such point?  With the loss of Al Woods our Dline got manhandled in the middle and it all starts there which is why All Pro D Leonard almost retired from a concussion!!!  We had moments of being good but for the most part were horrid!  If Buckner can stay healthy, this D will be like 2018, top 10!

9 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

“Lower the better.” So that’s how defense works 

3 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Did I hear it wrong or did he imply Hooker struggles with being consistent? 

That’s what I heard. Practice better and being more consistent. Said he has moments where he plays at a high level and last year he was stepping it up in practice, at least at the start of the year. 

7 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Its no secret that the Colts Defense took a major step back last yr so who in their right mind would argue such point?  With the loss of Al Woods our Dline got manhandled in the middle and it all starts there which is why All Pro D Leonard almost retired from a concussion!!!  We had moments of being good but for the most part were horrid!  If Buckner can stay healthy, this D will be like 2018, top 10!

Leonard did not almost retire. 

22 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

They never took a major step back last season.  Compare their 2018 to their 2029 schedule. The difference? 2019, they played much better qbs and gotten taken to the wood shed. Quite simple actually.

On 5/13/2020 at 12:39 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

They never took a major step back last season.  Compare their 2018 to their 2029 schedule. The difference? 2019, they played much better qbs and gotten taken to the wood shed. Quite simple actually.

I'm curious to know the truth from an NFL coach because us fans have conflicting reports.  It was obvious from game 1 that something was def missing as DL was a no show for the first 6 wks to the season.  I blame it on letting Al Woods go and the lack of a Dline presence had Leonard struggling to shed blocks before his 3 wk vacation from a concussion.  Add in Turay getting hurt leads right into your theory of better qb play killed this D as our pass rush was simply not there.  Lack of pass rush, lack of a presence on the Dline all contributed to a fall in this D rankings.  It might not have been a major step back but def a step back IMO.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:36 AM, Rackeen305 said:

I really appreciate this DC as he has brought the Colts to where the Defense is "Decent" for the first couple of years. Now with added talent, I believe Eberflus will shine this upcoming year. I really wanted DC Wade Phillips from the onset. But Eberflus has held his own, all things considered.

Decent?  Wow....your definition of decent and mine r way off. They were horrid for stretches last year. In 2018 they played a lot of mediocre qbs. They did not look good in many games last year.  This is a big year for Eberflus and Ballatd.  This is year 3 of building this D. Both r on notice.

41 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Decent?  Wow....your definition of decent and mine r way off. They were horrid for stretches last year. In 2018 they played a lot of mediocre qbs. They did not look good in many games last year.  This is a big year for Eberflus and Ballatd.  This is year 3 of building this D. Both r on notice.

I think most fans optimism is coming from the trade of Deforest Buckner which is a special talent that can make any D go from middle of the pack to top 10 in a hurry.  It's no secret that the decision to let Al Woods go after 2018 season hindered the success of the 2019 D and Ballard and Staff realized that by trading the 13th overall pick for an All Pro!  Tony Dungy even echoed that his success started with the dominance of the 3 tech so its no surprise that the 2019 colts D suffered from a lack of such presence!  This was a complete miss by Ballard and Staff to let Al Woods go but glad they quickly learned from their mistakes and I'm excited to see what a dominant interior Dline stud looks like on this Colts D.  It's almost like we learned the secret ingredient to the Krabby Patty!

On 5/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Leonard did not almost retire. 

Not true as he thought long and hard that this game was not worth it after suffering a headache for 3 straight weeks!  I will dig up the article if you like but many were scared of another Luck type retirement.  

2 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

I think most fans optimism is coming from the trade of Deforest Buckner which is a special talent that can make any D go from middle of the pack to top 10 in a hurry.  It's no secret that the decision to let Al Woods go after 2018 season hindered the success of the 2019 D and Ballard and Staff realized that by trading the 13th overall pick for an All Pro!  Tony Dungy even echoed that his success started with the dominance of the 3 tech so its no surprise that the 2019 colts D suffered from a lack of such presence!  This was a complete miss by Ballard and Staff to let Al Woods go but glad they quickly learned from their mistakes and I'm excited to see what a dominant interior Dline stud looks like on this Colts D.  It's almost like we learned the secret ingredient to the Krabby Patty!

I think it is more scheme.  So Buckner is that important. Double team him then what??

44 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think it is more scheme.  So Buckner is that important. Double team him then what??

One less blocker on the LB and even more importantly is a one on one match-up for everyone else on the Dline!  That gives guys like Autry, Turay & Houston a great chance to be successful and more pressure on the qb.  Just like Dungy said, the 3 tech is the most important piece to the D.  An example that comes to mind is the Chicago Bears D last yr that started out the best in the league all up until the game that Hicks got hurt and it was like night/day.  I hate the Bears but I got to admit their D was ferocious with Hicks and it all clicked once I saw that squad fall apart when Hicks went down.  Al Woods was not on Hicks level but he provided the same level of stout that is required up front to be a good D.  Ballard misjudged what Al meant to our D and instead focused on the neon lights surrounding rookie phenom Darious Leonard that led to All Pro Status.  Thank goodness Ballard quickly realized that the success of a MLB and a Defense in general is dependent on the guy up front as he traded for a former Pro Bowler in Deforest Buckner. Yes, he is that important just like Warren Sapp to the great Bucs D, Haloti Ngata to the Ray Lewis led Ravens D or Steve McMichael to the best ever 85 Bears D.  It's that important even know the stats won't show but you can ask Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis or Mike Singletary what these unsung heroes do!

16 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Random question. 

Would you rather have this roster and Rivers, or a less talented D and O line but still have Luck?

I’d rather have this roster and Luck...easy answer. Now please excuse me while I slip back into depression!

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Compared to Eberflus tenure, tell me one time, when has the Colts defense been decent? (and that's saying alot) Ill guess you'll say when the Colts won the Superbowl. BTW they weren't really decent the entire season. They got "hot" once they acquired a true DT in Booker (trade w/TB for 2nd round pick, value of the Buckner trade is looking solid), combined with Bob coming back healthy. That was a playoff run. Not the entire season because Bob was hurt most of the season.

Tell me in the past 30 years when has the Colts been "decent" like they are or have been as of late?

Thanks!

Archived