Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Chloe6124

Eason ahead of the curve

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

It reminds me of my old boxing and MMA days. Everybody has a plan do you get punched right in the mouth.

Are you....MIKE TYSON?!?!?!?! 

SLwJKYhoFRE0Fxsk7J_wXU98XDpZ2XyrzPsyKuQF

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a hell of a qb room this year. Rivers is a future hall of fame qb, Jacoby is an average-ish starter, Eason is suppose to be future, and according to some fans Kelly is the second coming! It’s going to be interesting to see how all this plays out!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Smonroe said:

What's "the curve"?  I remember Luck being so far ahead they had to get him to slow down.

 

Then when Tannehill was on HK that year, it seemed like he was ... special...

 

I guess the curve is somewhere in between?

Doesn't matter what your curve is vs the staff who is actually evaluating this young talent!  Nobody is comparing this 4th rd pick to Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck so not sure why Colts Nation doesn't BELIEVE in this young talent?  From # 1 overall pick to the 122nd pick is no comparison in the eyes of the beholder but the talent level might not be all that far apart.  Peyton/Luck were born to take over an NFL offense from day 1 which validated the #1 overall pick but if Eason is granted a yr or two to learn the NFL game, the void seems to close significantly.  Eason has all the tools physically that you cant teach but its up to Coach Reich to teach the mental part that both Peyton/Luck were born with!  Before we completely write this kid off, please remember that the great Peyton/Luck combo only brought 1 Championship to this great City!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Petersen's a heck of a coach.  But Eason's dad played QB in the NFL for the Pats too.  Makes sense to me that he's well grounded in what he needs to know to succeed at the NFL level.

 

Just don't rush the kid.  Redshirt him and let him sit and learn behind the vet.  Whether he succeeds at that point comes down to whether he's going to do the work and whether he can process at NFL speed, because the physical side is there.  We'll see.

The only way I see him being rushed is if Rivers has a disastrous year and/or decides to take his dream job at the end of this season regardless of his performance this year.  If Rivers decides to retire then Reich and crew have to decide if Eason is ready.  I'm pretty sure the plan is to have him sit for a couple of years, but they may push him if he's shown enough during this year.  I don't see signing JB as our starter as an option.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NewEra said:

No I agree with he didn't make Edge a better back then he already was. But what Manning did is open up the run game by not allowing defenses to stack the box. Our offense back then was just special. 

It was the opposite.  Edge opened the passing game up & helped slow the game down for Manning.  Nobody feared Manning in his first few years.  They sure feared number 32 coming around the corner on that stretch or rolling downhill though.  Once Peyton settled in & figured out 88 just couldn’t be covered, you were at his mercy.  
 

Edge wasn’t the same after the knee injury (still great though) but he didn’t have to be anymore because Peyton was in full control of the offense by then.  You really were screwed with future Hall of Famers in the backfield & out wide.  Later, I think it flipped to where teams were so scared of 18, 88, 87, & 44 that the running game probably never saw stacked boxes except for short yardage plays.  That was toward the end of Edge & during the Rhodes & Addai era.  Only fools gave Edge a light box (I think the Bears were such fools).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

It was the opposite.  Edge opened the passing game up & helped slow the game down for Manning.  Nobody feared Manning in his first few years.  They sure feared number 32 coming around the corner on that stretch or rolling downhill though.  Once Peyton settled in & figured out 88 just couldn’t be covered, you were at his mercy.  
 

Edge wasn’t the same after the knee injury (still great though) but he didn’t have to be anymore because Peyton was in full control of the offense by then.  You really were screwed with future Hall of Famers in the backfield & out wide.  Later, I think it flipped to where teams were so scared of 18, 88, 87, & 44 that the running game probably never saw stacked boxes except for short yardage plays.  That was toward the end of Edge & during the Rhodes & Addai era.  Only fools gave Edge a light box (I think the Bears were such fools).

Man I loved Edge. That injury was hard to watch and was sad to see he never regained his pre-injury play. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

It was the opposite.  Edge opened the passing game up & helped slow the game down for Manning.  Nobody feared Manning in his first few years.  They sure feared number 32 coming around the corner on that stretch or rolling downhill though.  Once Peyton settled in & figured out 88 just couldn’t be covered, you were at his mercy.  
 

Edge wasn’t the same after the knee injury (still great though) but he didn’t have to be anymore because Peyton was in full control of the offense by then.  You really were screwed with future Hall of Famers in the backfield & out wide.  Later, I think it flipped to where teams were so scared of 18, 88, 87, & 44 that the running game probably never saw stacked boxes except for short yardage plays.  That was toward the end of Edge & during the Rhodes & Addai era.  Only fools gave Edge a light box (I think the Bears were such fools).

You're right though Edge coming out of college led the league in rushing his first two years. And early on Manning was still throwing some pics coming into his own. I think later on once he became dangerous that improved the running game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Man I loved Edge. That injury was hard to watch and was sad to see he never regained his pre-injury play. 

 

He had 5 1000 yard seasons after the injury.  But I agree, he wasn't the same.  His yards were more a product of the offense.

 

Still one of my favorite Colts.  I'm glad they gave him a ring.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Doesn't matter what your curve is vs the staff who is actually evaluating this young talent!  Nobody is comparing this 4th rd pick to Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck so not sure why Colts Nation doesn't BELIEVE in this young talent?  From # 1 overall pick to the 122nd pick is no comparison in the eyes of the beholder but the talent level might not be all that far apart.  Peyton/Luck were born to take over an NFL offense from day 1 which validated the #1 overall pick but if Eason is granted a yr or two to learn the NFL game, the void seems to close significantly.  Eason has all the tools physically that you cant teach but its up to Coach Reich to teach the mental part that both Peyton/Luck were born with!  Before we completely write this kid off, please remember that the great Peyton/Luck combo only brought 1 Championship to this great City!  

 

 

The "Curve" is the measure of progress of all rookie QBs.  It doesn't matter where they were drafted or how they turned out.

 

If they're saying he's ahead of the curve, that means he's understanding the playbook faster than most.  I was just trying to point out that Luck was probably in the 1% category as a rookie.

 

Again, since they're not actually practicing, there's a limit on what they can evaluate over skype.  We're not privy to any of it, so we have to take their word for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

He had 5 1000 yard seasons after the injury.  But I agree, he wasn't the same.  His yards were more a product of the offense.

 

Still one of my favorite Colts.  I'm glad they gave him a ring.

 

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

You're right though Edge coming out of college led the league in rushing his first two years. And early on Manning was still throwing some pics coming into his own. I think later on once he became dangerous that improved the running game.

Imagine Peyton, Edge, & Marv with this offensive line???  :lombardi::lombardi::lombardi::lombardi::lombardi::lombardi::lombardi:.  :colts:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

 

The "Curve" is the measure of progress of all rookie QBs.  It doesn't matter where they were drafted or how they turned out.

 

If they're saying he's ahead of the curve, that means he's understanding the playbook faster than most.  I was just trying to point out that Luck was probably in the 1% category as a rookie.

 

Again, since they're not actually practicing, there's a limit on what they can evaluate over skype.  We're not privy to any of it, so we have to take their word for it.

Nick was basically talking about the offense at WA and the coaching he got. They throw a lot at their QB  so in that way he might understand football concepts a little better then a typical rookie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man you all are really trying hard to build Eason into something bigger than he is. HAHA.  He was a 4th round pick for a reason.  But keep dreaming I guess if it makes you feel better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

It was the opposite.  Edge opened the passing game up & helped slow the game down for Manning.  Nobody feared Manning in his first few years.  They sure feared number 32 coming around the corner on that stretch or rolling downhill though.  Once Peyton settled in & figured out 88 just couldn’t be covered, you were at his mercy.  
 

Edge wasn’t the same after the knee injury (still great though) but he didn’t have to be anymore because Peyton was in full control of the offense by then.  You really were screwed with future Hall of Famers in the backfield & out wide.  Later, I think it flipped to where teams were so scared of 18, 88, 87, & 44 that the running game probably never saw stacked boxes except for short yardage plays.  That was toward the end of Edge & during the Rhodes & Addai era.  Only fools gave Edge a light box (I think the Bears were such fools).

C'mon man. I loved, still love Edge. And he was awesome before the knee injury. And I know edge made peyton better.  Buuuut, peyton was pretty much flying the plane even in year two. He was  playin with s pretty good running back that demanded defensive attention even in his rookie year. Marshall Faulk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Man you all are really trying hard to build Eason into something bigger than he is. HAHA.  He was a 4th round pick for a reason.  But keep dreaming I guess if it makes you feel better.

 

Well Brady was a 6th round pick....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Man you all are really trying hard to build Eason into something bigger than he is. HAHA.  He was a 4th round pick for a reason.  But keep dreaming I guess if it makes you feel better.

 

 

Most people have been saying that he has tools, but needs to sit and learn for at least a year.  If you think that is building him up to be more than he is, I disagree.

 

Yeah, he's 4th round for a reason.  The reason is he isn't ready for minutes this year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Doesn't matter what your curve is vs the staff who is actually evaluating this young talent!  Nobody is comparing this 4th rd pick to Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck so not sure why Colts Nation doesn't BELIEVE in this young talent?  From # 1 overall pick to the 122nd pick is no comparison in the eyes of the beholder but the talent level might not be all that far apart.  Peyton/Luck were born to take over an NFL offense from day 1 which validated the #1 overall pick but if Eason is granted a yr or two to learn the NFL game, the void seems to close significantly.  Eason has all the tools physically that you cant teach but its up to Coach Reich to teach the mental part that both Peyton/Luck were born with!  Before we completely write this kid off, please remember that the great Peyton/Luck combo only brought 1 Championship to this great City!  

I gave you a LIKE because it is an overall good post. I do want to add, only 1 championship but 15 playoff appearances (Peyton 11, Luck 4). Just being relevant is key and both Peyton and Luck did that. Whether Eason will be a good pro is anyone's guess as of now. First step for any QB is leading his team to the playoffs most years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Man you all are really trying hard to build Eason into something bigger than he is. HAHA.  He was a 4th round pick for a reason.  But keep dreaming I guess if it makes you feel better.

 

Kelly fan i guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess Sirianni played Eason in Madden and came away impressed by Eason's ability to read a defense.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Well Brady was a 6th round pick....

 

That's like when people say "Someone has to win the lottery!"

 

I'm joking, but there are obviously many instances were player evaluations were just plain missed.  Kurt Warner, Priest Holmes, John Randle, Jeff Saturday...

 

The biggest knock on Eason is that he gets rattled under pressure.  Well, he won't have pressure (at least that kind) for at least a year.  He has the arm, does he have the head?  I hope so because I don't think we'll be in the running for any of the top picks next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 2:51 PM, Smoke317 said:

It was the opposite.  Edge opened the passing game up & helped slow the game down for Manning.  Nobody feared Manning in his first few years.  They sure feared number 32 coming around the corner on that stretch or rolling downhill though.  Once Peyton settled in & figured out 88 just couldn’t be covered, you were at his mercy.  
 

Edge wasn’t the same after the knee injury (still great though) but he didn’t have to be anymore because Peyton was in full control of the offense by then.  You really were screwed with future Hall of Famers in the backfield & out wide.  Later, I think it flipped to where teams were so scared of 18, 88, 87, & 44 that the running game probably never saw stacked boxes except for short yardage plays.  That was toward the end of Edge & during the Rhodes & Addai era.  Only fools gave Edge a light box (I think the Bears were such fools).

I was one of the few on this Forum who rated Donald Brown. He certainly had the burners, and I don't think he ever lost a fumble either. I don't think he got a fair crack of the whip. But that was then.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

I was one of the few on this Forum who rated Donald Brown. He certainly had the burners, and I don't think he ever lost a fumble either. I don't think he got a fair crack of the whip. But that was then.....

 

Mainly because Donald Brown wasn't the best at pass protection, something both Edge and Addai excelled in. When they brought in Ahmad Bradshaw on 3rd downs for pass protection more often, it was telling. That was his downfall, IMO.

 

And btw, he almost lost a fumble at the goal line that Luck recovered for that Superman TD in the KC playoff game, let us not forget that. :) 

 

DB would have probably flourished like Mack did in the current regime but then, Peyton and the offense placed a huge premium on pass protection then. His vision wasn't always the best either as he did not make many miss, he was just a north south runner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Mainly because Donald Brown wasn't the best at pass protection, something both Edge and Addai excelled in. When they brought in Ahmad Bradshaw on 3rd downs for pass protection more often, it was telling. That was his downfall, IMO.

 

And btw, he almost lost a fumble at the goal line that Luck recovered for that Superman TD in the KC playoff game, let us not forget that. :) 

Yep He did. His only fumble in c. 550 carries. It was a trick play actually. He set that up with Andrew. Honest.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I guess Sirianni played Eason in Madden and came away impressed by Eason's ability to read a defense.

I guess you didn’t watch his Zoom meeting posted on Colts.com. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

That's like when people say "Someone has to win the lottery!"

 

I'm joking, but there are obviously many instances were player evaluations were just plain missed.  Kurt Warner, Priest Holmes, John Randle, Jeff Saturday...

 

The biggest knock on Eason is that he gets rattled under pressure.  Well, he won't have pressure (at least that kind) for at least a year.  He has the arm, does he have the head?  I hope so because I don't think we'll be in the running for any of the top picks next year.

I agree, you can have all the physical talents in the world. If you fold under pressure he won't be able to play to those talents

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Kelly fan i guess.

Not at all.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Bingo...big supporter of Kelly,the 7th round pick.

Nope.  He was/is over hyped as well  

 

This board over hypes everyone the Colts select.    I do not expect Eason to be the next franchise guy.  I expect him to be a backup.  

I do expect the Colts to look for the next starter in the 2021 draft, or once again sign Rivers, or see what other FA QB's could step in if Rivers retires or isn't very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Nope.  He was/is over hyped as well  

 

This board over hypes everyone the Colts select.    I do not expect Eason to be the next franchise guy.  I expect him to be a backup.  

I do expect the Colts to look for the next starter in the 2021 draft, or once again sign Rivers, or see what other FA QB's could step in if Rivers retires or isn't very good.

I think most of us feel the future at QB is probably not on the current roster.

  But “over-hyping” draft picks by fans (and arguably the organization) is part of the draft process.  Alot is expected of them or they wouldn't have been drafted, Signed, or traded for.
  Yes, on occasion some are over-hyped , like Kelly, Roy Hall, etc, but usually it is just excitement and HOPE they will have some level of success.  Isn’t that the whole point?

 

  Nobody here thinks Eason will be the next Manning, but to assume he’s a bust, or bum at this point is more ridiculous than to think he’ll be an all-pro.  If Eason can at least become a solid backup, he’ll be beating the odds.  He gas the physical tools.  It will be up to him and the team to develop those skills.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

I was one of the few on this Forum who rated Donald Brown. He certainly had the burners, and I don't think he ever lost a fumble either. I don't think he got a fair crack of the whip. But that was then.....

Who was the kid from the northeast we brought in a few years ago?  He looked very impressive on the preseason but got a bad concussion and then allegedly, the Colts didn’t handle his treatment very well.  I thought he looked like he had some serious potential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Who was the kid from the northeast we brought in a few years ago?  He looked very impressive on the preseason but got a bad concussion and then allegedly, the Colts didn’t handle his treatment very well.  I thought he looked like he had some serious potential. 

Brown was a UConn player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Who was the kid from the northeast we brought in a few years ago?  He looked very impressive on the preseason but got a bad concussion and then allegedly, the Colts didn’t handle his treatment very well.  I thought he looked like he had some serious potential. 

 

51 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Brown was a UConn player

Tyler Varga from Yale.  But it wasn't the Colts didn't handle his treatment well, he just kept having lingering effects and, rightfully so, it scared him.  The only possible mistreatment was a Colts doctor wanted Varga to take Amantadine and Varga did some research and refused the drug mainly because of some of the possible side effects.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something nobody has really talked about is all the adversity Eason has went through. From losing his job to sitting out a year. He handled it all with grace. 

 

Will he be the next manning. Probably not. Does he really have to be manning though. He doesn’t.  We will never get another Manning or Luck. Those guys don’t even come around that often. What we need is a solid starter that can put points on the board and win us games.  We will see if Eason can put the mental side of the game together with all his physical tools.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 12:12 PM, stitches said:

Let's hope he doesn't... flatten the curve... :dunno:

 

I will show myself out. 

 

80S Cheering GIF

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 10:46 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I gave you a LIKE because it is an overall good post. I do want to add, only 1 championship but 15 playoff appearances (Peyton 11, Luck 4). Just being relevant is key and both Peyton and Luck did that. Whether Eason will be a good pro is anyone's guess as of now. First step for any QB is leading his team to the playoffs most years.

I 100% agree that both Peyton and Luck made our Colts relevant and it was a great feeling that no matter who the opposition was, I felt we were the better team!  At the end of the day, we all should have felt that way with the #1 overall pick leading our squad but History in this league says it may not be enough.  It took a perfect storm for Tom Brady to have the success he had and its not even debatable but if we have learned anything is that it takes 53 contributors to win a SB and not just a #1 overall QB.  Eason's contract should allow the Colts to field a Championship team and not handicapp the cap like Peyton/Luck contracts did.  Eason doesn't have to be the field general like his predecessors to have similar success as his cap hit will allow a few more studs on the roster to hopefully bring balance.  Same formula as a foe we use to know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I 100% agree that both Peyton and Luck made our Colts relevant and it was a great feeling that no matter who the opposition was, I felt we were the better team!  At the end of the day, we all should have felt that way with the #1 overall pick leading our squad but History in this league says it may not be enough.  It took a perfect storm for Tom Brady to have the success he had and its not even debatable but if we have learned anything is that it takes 53 contributors to win a SB and not just a #1 overall QB.  Eason's contract should allow the Colts to field a Championship team and not handicapp the cap like Peyton/Luck contracts did.  Eason doesn't have to be the field general like his predecessors to have similar success as his cap hit will allow a few more studs on the roster to hopefully bring balance.  Same formula as a foe we use to know.

Not saying Eason won't be good. He could be but I doubt we find anyone like Luck again. Peyton is arguably the GOAT and just spoiled us. Peyton is on the level of Brady, Montana, Jordan in basketball, Gretzky in Hockey, Ali in boxing, etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not saying Eason won't be good. He could be but I doubt we find anyone like Luck again. Peyton is arguably the GOAT and just spoiled us. Peyton is on the level of Brady, Montana, Jordan in basketball, Gretzky in Hockey, Ali in boxing, etc..

I guess what I was getting at is Eason doesn't have to be great for this team to have success!  Sometimes it comes down to a Championship roster or a coaching staff to have the right gameplan to be Championship worthy but one thing Eason brings to the table is a lower cap hit to field a better team.  I give you 1K likes for comparing Peyton to Brady, Montana, Jordan, Gretzky and Ali just like he deserves but all these greats had Championships to back their greatness!  It's a shame a talent like Peyton didn't end up the GOAT as he sure had the talent but it further cements my theory that it takes a complete staff to win titles in this league. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 7:49 AM, Smonroe said:

 

That's like when people say "Someone has to win the lottery!"

 

I'm joking, but there are obviously many instances were player evaluations were just plain missed.  Kurt Warner, Priest Holmes, John Randle, Jeff Saturday...

 

The biggest knock on Eason is that he gets rattled under pressure.  Well, he won't have pressure (at least that kind) for at least a year.  He has the arm, does he have the head?  I hope so because I don't think we'll be in the running for any of the top picks next year.

Every late rd pick gets rattled under pressure hence the Patriots creating the famous 3yd slant for their 6th rd qb that got thrust into the starting role.  It's no secret Tom stayed clean due to quick passes and less progressions which would behoove this staff to do the same for Eason!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 12:38 AM, chad72 said:

 

That was truly house money that year!!! From the Chuckstrong game vs the Packers to Vick Ballard's dive TD to the last second comeback vs Detroit Lions, I really took that pesky 2012 squad for granted, looking back. :( 

It's special whenever Colts play NFC North? I remember Colts beating Vikings to the tune of 34-6 or so in 2016. If this season happens, we have the matchup this season as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually recall a story from I believe Brazill where he said Andrew knew the entire playbook by rookie mini camp and was already making audibles. Obviously I don't expect that from Eason, but that's impressive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...