Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason ahead of the curve

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's "the curve"?  I remember Luck being so far ahead they had to get him to slow down.

Then when Tannehill was on HK that year, it seemed like he was ... special...

I guess the curve is somewhere in between?

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

What's "the curve"?  I remember Luck being so far ahead they had to get him to slow down.

Then when Tannehill was on HK that year, it seemed like he was ... special...

I guess the curve is somewhere in between?

I think this sounds like he might have a better understanding of reading defenses ect then maybe they thought. He was in a pro offense so that should help. 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think this sounds like he might have a better understanding of reading defenses ect then maybe they thought. He was in a pro offense so that should help. 

From what I've read (I think I only saw one of his games) is that he's a different QB under pressure.  I know you could say that about them all, but apparently it was dramatic with him.  He has the arm, can make all the throws.  But the 'be cool' factor may not be there.

As everyone has pointed out, he was drafted by the perfect team.  No rush to start, and coached by a former NFL QB.  

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Eason is going to be a case study going forward if he pans out. Let’s say the evaluations were largely based on his performances from his Georgia season where he was able to run enough, throw on the run, throw with pressure in the face and hit long with solid accuracy. If most teams only focused largely on what they seen at Washington and ignored his early success, it will spotlight how good of a talent evaluations group Ballard has assembled and how information is dissected. If he flops, they can point to players are who they were later in their career, not what they achieved prior to. Evaluators has to look at 2 players. The first was a guy in a pro system with NFL talent around him who succeeded. The second was a guy who moved to a lessor talented team with no super stars around and had modest success. So, is it the player, the system or the players around a guy who made him? 

we won’t see this answer for probably 4 years unless he is a complete failure right away. He definitely has a chance to succeed here though. 

It reminds me of my old boxing and MMA days. Everybody has a plan do you get punched right in the mouth. The question is under pressure does he fold like a wet paper sack or rise to the challenge. Granted that's not something that can be coached but it is something you can learn when you gain confidence especially in your abilities.

Play action pass.....music to my ears. Take me back to the Manning days. I feel that is something we have lacked ever since. Luck was meh....but more so maybe it was our run hasn't been good since those years. The thing about Manning is he made our run game so much better.  You had to be able to get after him and cover the receivers. Then we just ran it down your throat with Edge. Then once we got them in their heals with the run. Boom, play action. 

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Play action pass.....music to my ears. Take me back to the Manning days. I feel that is something we have lacked ever since. Luck was meh....but more so maybe it was our run hasn't been good since those years. The thing about Manning is he made our run game so much better.  You had to be able to get after him and cover the receivers. Then we just ran it down your throat with Edge. Then once we got them in their heals with the run. Boom, play action. 

I mean honestly when did Luck really have much of  a run game? With Vick Ballard his rookie year and then in 2018. Everyone always just stacked the boxes and doubled T.Y. It would be scary to see what he would do with this run game o-line and receiving group

6 minutes ago, twfish said:

I mean honestly when did Luck really have much of  a run game? With Vick Ballard his rookie year and then in 2018. Everyone always just stacked the boxes and doubled T.Y. It would be scary to see what he would do with this run game o-line and receiving group

Ballard torpedo dive TD! 

I miss 2012. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It reminds me of my old boxing and MMA days. Everybody has a plan do you get punched right in the mouth. The question is under pressure does he fold like a wet paper sack or rise to the challenge. Granted that's not something that can be coached but it is something you can learn when you gain confidence especially in your abilities.

Do wet paper bags even fold? I assume it would be easier to fold a dry paper bag?

Sorry, just messing around. I’m done now!!

He said he's ahead of the curve So Far.  They are only doing classroom work right now. I'm glad he's picking it up mentally but it's a whole other thing to take what you learned in the class room and apply it.  Good to hear some positive news though.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

He said he's ahead of the curve So Far.  They are only doing classroom work right now. I'm glad he's picking it up mentally but it's a whole other thing to take what you learned in the class room and apply it.  Good to hear some positive news though.

The mental side is what we didn’t have alot of info about. IF he is picking it up quickly mentally that is a good sign because the physical tools are all there.

49 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That was truly house money that year!!! From the Chuckstrong game vs the Packers to Vick Ballard's dive TD to the last second comeback vs Detroit Lions, I really took that pesky 2012 squad for granted, looking back. :( 

Weird how it ended in the damp squid of the Ravens playoff loss. 

Reggie Wayne was a man on fire vs the Packers, probably the best game of his career, and IIRC got fined for wearing gloves supporting Chuck. 

Was a real shame that Ballard's career got cut short by that Achilles tear, I felt he could have been a steady rotational RB,

1 hour ago, twfish said:

Yes o completely agree. We never had a good line of run game for Luck

1 hour ago, Btown_Colt said:

Do wet paper bags even fold? I assume it would be easier to fold a dry paper bag?

Sorry, just messing around. I’m done now!!

You would have to fold them real real gentle like lol

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Eh.... I disagree with your premise... Manning certainly didn't hurt our run game, but it was only special when edge was here.  Manning didn't elevate any of our running backs beyond their own level of ability while here, unlike he did for some of the OL and WR....

Just now, Shafty138 said:

Eh.... I disagree with your premise... Manning certainly didn't hurt our run game, but it was only special when edge was here.  Manning didn't elevate any of our running backs beyond their own level of ability while here, unlike he did for some of the OL and WR....

No I agree with he didn't make Edge a better back then he already was. But what Manning did is open up the run game by not allowing defenses to stack the box. Our offense back then was just special. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

The mental side is what we didn’t have alot of info about. IF he is picking it up quickly mentally that is a good sign because the physical tools are all there.

The maturity side apparently is where most of the questions lie. Work ethic etc .... Not sure I agree, seeing as this is a kid who has lost his job after being the number one recruit.... Transferred, sat and run. Practice squad for a year.... And then played as starter and did great.... Seems well adjusted to me.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No I agree with he didn't make Edge a better back then he already was. But what Manning did is open up the run game by not allowing defenses to stack the box. Our offense back then was just special. 

Absolutely it was.  If that's what you are getting at, then yes, Manning and those WR and TE will def. Keep run stoppers honest.

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

The maturity side apparently is where most of the questions lie. Work ethic etc .... Not sure I agree, seeing as this is a kid who has lost his job after being the number one recruit.... Transferred, sat and run. Practice squad for a year.... And then played as starter and did great.... Seems well adjusted to me.

He lost is job because of injury. Not poor play. There is a difference. He wasn’t forced to a PS either. He had to sit our because of rules. I hope a lot of the rumors and stuff were just exaggerated.

Petersen's a heck of a coach.  But Eason's dad played QB in the NFL for the Pats too.  Makes sense to me that he's well grounded in what he needs to know to succeed at the NFL level.

Just don't rush the kid.  Redshirt him and let him sit and learn behind the vet.  Whether he succeeds at that point comes down to whether he's going to do the work and whether he can process at NFL speed, because the physical side is there.  We'll see.

4 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Petersen's a heck of a coach.  But Eason's dad played QB in the NFL for the Pats too.  Makes sense to me that he's well grounded in what he needs to know to succeed at the NFL level.

Just don't rush the kid.  Redshirt him and let him sit and learn behind the vet.  Whether he succeeds at that point comes down to whether he's going to do the work and whether he can process at NFL speed, because the physical side is there.  We'll see.

your avatar :lol:

12 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

I hope you realize that his father is not the Tony Eason of the NFL 

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I think that's actually the point of the saying ... Wet paper bags fall apart when they attempt to fold ..

I don’t quite think that’s how the saying goes...at least he understood what I was saying, even though it was tongue in cheek. I think he mixed two separate sayings: fold like a cheap suitcase and fight your way out of a wet paper bag. 

But to play along, saying he folded like a wet paper bag (which we agree doesn’t fold very well) would be the opposite of what the OP is saying he does.

1 hour ago, Boondoggle said:

I think maybe you need to check your facts.

Tony Eason of the Patriots is not Jakob Eason's father. 

Archived