Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brett Favre accused of taking $1.1M payment in welfare fraud

FortheWin

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't know if Favre was directly the culprit but someone needs to be criminally charged. 

Yeah. I agree. This is a horrible story and someone needs to be held accountable. Not sure why Favre was not charged in some fashion given he took money for appearances he did not make.

6 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Yeah. I agree. This is a horrible story and someone needs to be held accountable. Not sure why Favre was not charged in some fashion given he took money for appearances he did not make.

In this country, it is never about what you know or what you do, it is about who you know. :dunno:

What is really sad is that Mississippi is among the poorest states in the country. There are so many people in need. How in the world are funds given to someone for promotional reasons ("appearances")? How could that have been approved? My goodness.

Now it is the people of the state who suffer, not the perpetrators. 

He said an end result of the corruption could be a reduction in federal welfare funds for Mississippi, the poorest state in the country.

Why punish people who had nothing to do with this corruption? That's awful.

17 hours ago, Nadine said:

Why Favre would choose to be involved is beyond me

I'm more surprised that this would be offered. How do funds set aside for poor families get used for a celebrity to make an "appearance"! It seems that he may not have  known that he was being paid from money set aside for welfare/safety net.

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'm more surprised that this would be offered. How do funds set aside for poor families get used for a celebrity to make an "appearance"! It seems that he may not have  known that he was being paid from money set aside for welfare/safety net.

The whole thing though

20 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Favre’s company that he doesn’t run hands on was guilty and caught through an audit. Probably all just a big mistake. If not then he needs to fire some people. 

Sorry but embezzlement, fraud and corruption are not mistakes. 

Fired?  You are kidding right?  Prosecution is the only thing that needs to be done. 

If we have room in our jails for back child support or small time pot smokers we can find room for these scumbags. 

I just looked this up and it appears that Favre denies that he was supposed to do speaking engagements at all, that he was only supposed to do advertisements which he did, and that the Auditor said that it wouldn't surprise him if Favre wasn't told about the speaking engagement requirements because of the amount of lies he had been told already by the faulty parties (the ones arrested).  Favre in good faith is paying the amount back, not because he has a duty or obligation to and not because he did anything wrong.

20 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I just looked this up and it appears that Favre denies that he was supposed to do speaking engagements at all, that he was only supposed to do advertisements which he did, and that the Auditor said that it wouldn't surprise him if Favre wasn't told about the speaking engagement requirements because of the amount of lies he had been told already by the faulty parties (the ones arrested).  Favre in good faith is paying the amount back, not because he has a duty or obligation to and not because he did anything wrong.

Ignorance is not a defense.

It's actually a legal principle.

Ignorantia juris non excusat (Latin for "ignorance of the law excuses not" and "ignorance of law excuses no one" respectively) is a legal principle holding that a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely because one was unaware of its content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorantia_juris_non_excusat

1 minute ago, FortheWin said:

Ignorantia juris non excusat (Latin for "ignorance of the law excuses not" and "ignorance of law excuses no one" respectively) is a legal principle holding that a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely because one was unaware of its content.

claiming to not know the speed limit is something very different than intentionally depriving someone of property.

You guys in here casting stones at Favre is not a good look.

What reason does Brett Favre need to embezzle $1.1m? He has made plenty of money.

I take him at his word, that he fulfilled his obligations and the only reason he is giving money back is because he didn't know the source which it came from. Since he is an avid donator to Mississippi child hunger charities.

8 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

I’m aware, but you weren’t talking legal matters. That shot you took was keyboard warrior holier than thou drivel. 

Should a grand mother get arrested and charged for helping her grandson rob a bank when she thought she was just picking up her grand son? I mean she was unaware of the crime but was still the driver of the get away car. 

Ignorance isnt an excuse! She drove the get away car! 

Anyone ever heard of circumstantial evidence?

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

Should a grand mother get arrested and charged for helping her grandson rob a bank when she thought she was just picking up her grand son? I mean she was unaware of the crime but was still the driver of the get away car. 

Ignorance isnt an excuse! She drove the get away car! 

How about you at least wait until he is charged with something, before you convict him?

Think federal prosecutors might know a little more on the subject than you, but go ahead and keep thinking you know all. 

After all ignorance isn't an excuse.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

How about you at least wait until he is charged with something, before you convict him?

Think federal prosecutors might know a little more on the subject than you, but go ahead and keep thinking you know all. 

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

24 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Anyone ever heard of circumstantial evidence?

20 minutes ago, w87r said:

???

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

???

Didn't see your above post. Thought you were jumping in on the, hes guilty and he cant use ignorance team.

So really that post is for anyone who is ready to convict him without charges being sent his way at the moment.

I apologize.

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Didn't see your above post. Thought you were jumping in on the, hes guilty and he cant use ignorance team.

So really that post is for anyone who is ready to convict him without charges being sent his way at the moment.

I apologize.

I must have edited it right as you were responding. All good my friend. I think every crime needs to be looked at with a bit of situational awareness. 

On 5/12/2020 at 6:26 AM, NFLfan said:

This happens all the time. You know all those PETA or Humane Society Ads with Celebrities? Those celebrities are Paid. Same with Wounded Warrior, The Red Cross, Goodwill, etc. all use money to pay for appearances. The military does it too, the USO does it. BLM, Thin Blue Aline etc, same thing. Find an organization that has a celebrity on one of their ads or campaign and 9.9 times out of 10, someone is paying someone for the appearance 

not saying it’s ethical or not, but it’s quite a common practice

On 5/11/2020 at 12:40 PM, Nadine said:

The title of the article is misleading.

This isn't welfare fraud as we think of it

It is serious government corruption and embezzling by political appointees

https://apnews.com/158043fed97ba30a574434fb6c0f24da

Why Favre would choose to be involved is beyond me

He got hit in the head to much while playing I guess. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

This happens all the time. You know all those PETA or Humane Society Ads with Celebrities? Those celebrities are Paid. Same with Wounded Warrior, The Red Cross, Goodwill, etc. all use money to pay for appearances. The military does it too, the USO does it. BLM, Thin Blue Aline etc, same thing. Find an organization that has a celebrity on one of their ads or campaign and 9.9 times out of 10, someone is paying someone for the appearance 

not saying it’s ethical or not, but it’s quite a common practice

Wow. I can't see how you see those as being the same as a government program. Those organizations that you are referring to are not government programs. Most, if not all, are 501 (c) (3) organizations. They have the right to pay celebrities if they believe they will get more publicity and more donations.

However, paying a celebrity welfare funds to make an appearance is insane. What is the purpose? 

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Wow. I can't see how you see those as being the same as a government program. Those organizations that you are referring to are not government programs. Most, if not all, are 501 (c) (3) organizations. They have the right to pay celebrities if they believe they will get more publicity and more donations.

However, paying a celebrity welfare funds to make an appearance is insane. What is the purpose? 

I’m not saying they are the same, I’m saying that it has been happening across a broad front for years. Do you not remember the US military paying the NFL for military celebrations just a few years ago?

39 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m not saying they are the same, I’m saying that it has been happening across a broad front for years. Do you not remember the US military paying the NFL for military celebrations just a few years ago?

It is still not the same. The US Military probably has a budget for advertising and for recruiting. Using welfare funds for a celebrity to make an appearance makes no sense. Was Favre supposed to promote welfare programs or do outreach? I seriously doubt that. Equating that to how the military or non-profits use their funds is wrong. 

25 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It is still not the same. The US Military probably has a budget for advertising and for recruiting. Using welfare funds for a celebrity to make an appearance makes no sense. Was Favre supposed to promote welfare programs or do outreach? I seriously doubt that. Equating that to how the military or non-profits use their funds is wrong. 

It’s not just them, I’ve seen Job Corps, DoL, Health and Human services etc all do the same thing. They are all allowed an advertising budget to increase awareness. some are larger than others.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s not just them, I’ve seen Job Corps, DoL, Health and Human services etc all do the same thing. They are all allowed an advertising budget to increase awareness. some are larger than others.

Welfare programs do not use their funds to pay celebrities to advertise safety net programs, especially not in Mississippi. It is not done. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Welfare programs do not use their funds to pay celebrities to advertise safety net programs, especially not in Mississippi. It is not done. 

We’ll agree to disagree. I’m not condoning it in any sense of the notion. I’m simply saying that it’s not the first time, won’t be the last. That’s merely my point

Archived