Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Defenses Progress

Moosejawcolt

I think it is a legitimate question. Would this defense  have been better off  sticking with the scheme implemented by Pagano? I just think of the picks  and former players that they have  gotten rid of. Anderson, Basham, Simon, Wilson and now possibly Hooker. They were/are not seen as scheme fits for this zone based defense. 

No, it's better to have a defensive system that the coach wants to implement and not force a system on a coach.

And considering the Colts did not know in 2017 who the coach was going to be in 2018 they either had to draft players for the defensive system at the time or they could have traded all their 2017 picks for 2018 picks but that has never happened.

Additionally, I think Hooker has all the measurables to be a perfect fit for a zone D.  Unfortunately Hooker is just not very good and was a bad pick by Ballard.  I got blasted for it at the time but after the pick I made a comment about, IMO, you don't draft a 1 year starter in the 1st round, especially not a top 20 pick.

Archived