Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers named coach in waiting at HS

8 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

This all strikes me as a little odd. 

What is the rush to lock down this high school coaching gig? What is so special about this school? It seems like he would have a zillion opportunities to coach high school whenever he decides to retire.  It’s not even close to his family or house in Florida. 

No kidding, what high school wouldn't hire him? This is only a story because there are NO stories. I can't believe I'm even commenting on this. I'm so bored I could watch baseball.

• Like 1

He is from Alabama. Rumor was this is where he wanted to move when he retired. Haven’t looked to see if this is old HS. This is no different then Brees signing on to do nfl games after he retires. This might just be the school they want their kids to go to.

• Thanks 1

It's a fairly new school, but in an area where they know some people, and according to Philip, it's a place that aligns with what he and his family believe in the areas of education and spirituality. So they think it's a great fit for what they want to do next. Good for them, and I hope it works out well.

But get the Lombardi first :lombardi:.

• Like 3

Maybe this is more about picking his son’s high school. Rivers wants to coach his son. It’s natural that you would start considering schools well in advance of enrollment. The news that Rivers will be coach will surely provide a massive recruiting boost to the school on every level, so they want to publicize it now and hence the “press conference” at the school. 

Okay this makes more sense now. 

In any case, it’s so wholesome that his post-retirement dream is to coach high school. I love it. 

• Like 2

"wholesome"  isn't exactly the word that comes to mind when I think of high level ultra competitive HS sports where recruiting and celebrity staff members and press conferences are concerned..... But whatever gets you through the night 

I'm hoping he does well and decides to play another year for the Colts.  That would allow the Colts to be done with JB and have a good idea what Eason can do.  

First off, it's a HS job. Doubt he retires or leaves the NFL early for that gig.

Second, given his history of having 9 kids, it makes it clear that when it comes to business, he is never one to PULL OUT prematurely.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
On 5/8/2020 at 9:15 AM, cdgacoltsfan said:

Hmmm...makes me question if his heart will be into being the Colts QB. We have to have the weirdest situations that crop up with franchise type QBs.

Bert Jones

Peyton

Luck

Rivers?

You don't have to worry about his heart or focus. Rivers is up there with Peyton, Brees, and the other great QBs in terms of preparation and work ethic.

I doubt that Highschool coaching job will pay him 25 Mill like we will. If he has a good year and we make the playoffs, my guess is he will back in 2021. He has 9 kids so passing on 25 Mill would be tough to do especially if he still has game. I think we got him for 2 seasons, JMO. He also loves it here in Indiana.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I doubt that Highschool coaching job will pay him 25 Mill like we will. If he has a good year and we make the playoffs, my guess is he will back in 2021. He has 9 kids so passing on 25 Mill would be tough to do especially if he still has game. I think we got him for 2 seasons, JMO. He also loves it here in Indiana.

I think he likes a good, quiet family life and Indy offers that.  It is a smaller city (with enough to do) and is easy to get around.   I think he'll be happy here while he's on the Colts. 

• Like 1

The home his family moved to is in the Panhandle of Florida, Fairhope is nestled right next to the Alabama/Florida border so no it isnt far at all and the roads arent congested on the route (I live in Florida only reason i know these things).