Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers named coach in waiting at HS

8 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Hmmm...makes me question if his heart will be into being the Colts QB. We have to have the weirdest situations that crop up with franchise type QBs.

Bert Jones

Peyton

Luck

Rivers?

I think expecting more than a year for rivers is a bit ambitious to begin with. Makes me feel even better that we got  Eason in the draft. To your point I think the opposite. I think he’ll give everything he has and end things on a strong note 

11 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I think expecting more than a year for rivers is a bit ambitious to begin with. Makes me feel even better that we got  Eason in the draft. To your point I think the opposite. I think he’ll give everything he has and end things on a strong note 

Yep, all in baby. This team might rally around him to get it done. 

23 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Why wait Phil. Start coaching this year buddy :thmup:. Im sure Irsay would let you keep the money. Luck would attest to that

Actually Luck deserves his money as beat up as he was and carrying our team for years with almost no help = bad O.Line, no run game, etc.. Yeah I am disappointed he quit on us the way he did but he was very good in his years here, some debate me and even say he was great. I will just keep it at very good, better than good :thmup:. 4 playoff appearances, 4 playoff wins, AFC Title Game app for Luck = solid. Phil looks like he is focused and ready, for 1 year it is a good investment. Upgrade over JB IMO.

59 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually Luck deserves his money as beat up as he was and carrying our team for years with almost no help = bad O.Line, no run game, etc.. Yeah I am disappointed he quit on us the way he did but he was very good in his years here, some debate me and even say he was great. I will just keep it at very good, better than good :thmup:. 4 playoff appearances, 4 playoff wins, AFC Title Game app for Luck = solid. Phil looks like he is focused and ready, for 1 year it is a good investment. Upgrade over JB IMO.

Thanks for that but it was satire

44 minutes ago, Taxman said:

If anyone thinks Philip Rivers won't give 150% for any reason, you don't know Philip Rivers.

Why wouldn't he?

I don't think anyone doubts he's a professional

He is and he seems nice too :)

I think it's just hard for some because he's been the opponent for so long.  We'll get there

As I mentioned before, I'll be SHOCKED if Philip plays more than 2 more years. Just because that's when his older son will be starting high school. Sure, anything could happen, but I highly doubt it.

As for whether he plays just one or two more years, it almost certainly will come down to the following.

- Did he and the team play well this year? "Yes" adds to the chance of a 2nd year. "No" detracts from it.

- How banged up is he after the season? "Not much" adds to the chance of a 2nd year. "Too much" detracts from it.

So once the season has played out, see what the answers are to those 2 questions, and you'll have a good idea as to where he'll be next year.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is very cool.  Will be interesting if we get a second year from Rivers. I won’t cry if Eason gets his chance in 2021.

We replaced AL with Rivers who is slightly thinking about life after football as well. interesting..

50 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

We replaced AL with Rivers who is slightly thinking about life after football as well. interesting..

At 38 QB's tend to do that. Nothing to me to look into. If we go deep into the playoffs it wouldn't shock me at all if Rivers played in 2021 for us on another 1 year deal. 

2 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

As I mentioned before, I'll be SHOCKED if Philip plays more than 2 more years. Just because that's when his older son will be starting high school. Sure, anything could happen, but I highly doubt it.

As for whether he plays just one or two more years, it almost certainly will come down to the following.

- Did he and the team play well this year? "Yes" adds to the chance of a 2nd year. "No" detracts from it.

- How banged up is he after the season? "Not much" adds to the chance of a 2nd year. "Too much" detracts from it.

So once the season has played out, see what the answers are to those 2 questions, and you'll have a good idea as to where he'll be next year.

Thanks for a rational post.  I didn't read anything that says he done after this year.  A high school coach in "waiting" is what I read.  If things go well this year (which I think they will) he'll be back for another year.  

12 minutes ago, ThePowerslave said:

Thanks for a rational post.  I didn't read anything that says he done after this year.  A high school coach in "waiting" is what I read.  If things go well this year (which I think they will) he'll be back for another year.  

The tweet above does say he will take over in 2021. So I don’t think if this is a good year there is any guarantee he will come back. He might come back for a year a decide it’s time to hang them up even with a good season. It would do us a huge favor salary cap wise if he only played a year and turned the team over to Eason. 

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The tweet above does say he will take over in 2021. So I don’t think if this is a good year there is any guarantee he will come back. He might come back for a year a decide it’s time to hang them up even with a good season. It would do us a huge favor salary cap wise if he only played a year and turned the team over to Eason. 

You're right, even with a good and relatively healthy season, he could still retire after it. Nobody knows, and I doubt even him. At this point in time, anyway. But I'm telling you. Nobody, and I mean N-O-B-O-D-Y, loves playing this game more than 17. So it will be interesting to see what happens after the season.

I'm just not sold on turning the team over to Eason so soon.  That sounds like 6-10 next year.  A step back.  We have a solid team with studs entering there prime.  Strike while the irons hot.  There's no guarantee Eason even is the future.   Tennessee ditched there future (Mariotta) for * Tanneyhill and it worked fine (cause they had a team in place).   We have a contending team now and I don't want to wait 2-3 yrs for Eason to be ready.  Well built teams bringing in veteran Qbs is starting to become a trend (Manning/Brady/Rivers/Tanneyhill).  Just my opinion 

40 minutes ago, ThePowerslave said:

I'm just not sold on turning the team over to Eason so soon.  That sounds like 6-10 next year.  A step back.  We have a solid team with studs entering there prime.  Strike while the irons hot.  There's no guarantee Eason even is the future.   Tennessee ditched there future (Mariotta) for * Tanneyhill and it worked fine (cause they had a team in place).   We have a contending team now and I don't want to wait 2-3 yrs for Eason to be ready.  Well built teams bringing in veteran Qbs is starting to become a trend (Manning/Brady/Rivers/Tanneyhill).  Just my opinion 

One year should be plenty. If a guy needs more then one year he probably won’t do much.  At least that is what I think. I am willing to give him a chance to see what he can do in 2021. We have a good team.  What we won’t see is the behind the scenes stuff and only Ballard and Reich will know what he is like behind the scenes. I would rather give him at least one year as a starter instead of giving away draft picks to move up. Then go from there. He will need playing time to really get the feel of the game.

This all strikes me as a little odd. 

What is the rush to lock down this high school coaching gig? What is so special about this school? It seems like he would have a zillion opportunities to coach high school whenever he decides to retire.  It’s not even close to his family or house in Florida. 

Archived