Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible predictions for 2020 colts

CR91

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Yes because our so called proven backup was a complete liability. We can atleast see what we have in Eason. We already know what Brissett is. Nothing more then a backup

If the goal is to win the super bowl this season, then that is exactly what you do! You start the semi average quarterback who you know is going to play it safe, not take big chances, and is 100% familiar with the play book and these receivers because who knows how much of an offseason training/mini camp they will even have this year. You don’t start the Project Qb with big upside so that you can cross your fingers and “see what he can do”

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

If the goal is to win the super bowl this season, then that is exactly what you do! You start the semi average quarterback who you know is going to play it safe, not take big chances, and is 100% familiar with the play book and these receivers because who knows how much of an offseason training/mini camp they will even have this year. You don’t start the Project Qb with big upside so that you can cross your fingers and “see what he can do”

So because Brissett is familiar with the team, he should start? What exactly did Brissett do in his two years starting to give you confidence he can lead us to the playoffs and super bowl? The colts were so worried about him starting, they ran the heck out of Mack and threw 3 step check downs the entire season. Being familiar with the offense means nothing if the team has no confidence in their QBs ability.

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

So because Brissett is familiar with the team, he should start? What exactly did Brissett do in his two years starting to give you confidence he can lead us to the playoffs and super bowl? The colts were so worried about him starting, they ran the heck out of Mack and threw 3 step check downs the entire season. Being familiar with the offense means nothing if the team has no confidence in their QBs ability.

I'm afraid you can argue till your blue in the face but the coaches have made it perfectly clear that JB is the backup QB and would start if Rivers can't go.  They will not risk their season on a 4th rd rookie QB.  

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

Reich running the ball more than we are used to does not say the Colts do not have confidence in JB. He just wants to run the ball and that will show even more this season with the drafting of Taylor. 

If you don't think Ballard is aware and take into consideration JBs injury and the rest of the injuries to the receiving core I am afraid you are mistaken. 

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm afraid you can argue till your blue in the face but the coaches have made it perfectly clear that JB is the backup QB and would start if Rivers can't go.  They will not risk their season on a 4th rd rookie QB.  

Coaching staff has as much confidence in Brissett as I do otherwise why bring in not one, but two QBs to basically push him out the door.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Reich running the ball more than we are used to does not say the Colts do not have confidence in JB. He just wants to run the ball and that will show even more this season with the drafting of Taylor. 

If you don't think Ballard is aware of JBs injury and the rest of the injuries to the receiving core I am afraid you are mistaken. 

They were doing that even when we were 5-2. Nothing changed in our offensive approach prior to Brissett getting hurt.

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

They were doing that even when we were 5-2. Nothing changed in our offensive approach prior to Brissett getting hurt.

Exactly. 

I understand why you think JB is not good but he is not as bad as you want to make him out to be. When you are looking for a scape goat it's easy to exaggerate things like what is  happening to JB. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly. 

I understand why you think JB is not good but he is not as bad as you want to make him out to be. When you are looking for a scape goat it's easy to exaggerate things like what is  happening to JB. 

But my point is the offense was tailor to basically never put Brissett in a tough situation where he needed to put the team on his back. Time and Time again the defense bailed him out only to not come through because it was late in the game and we couldn't run the ball anymore.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

But my point is the offense was tailor to basically never put Brissett in a tough situation where he needed to put the team on his back. Time and Time again the defense bailed him out only to not come through because it was late in the game and we couldn't run the ball anymore.

So do you honestly think that JBs injury and the lack of pro level receiver help on the field had nothing to do with it? 

So do you honestly think that JBs injury and the lack of pro level receiver help on the field had nothing to do with it? 

We've had 2 years to watch the guy operate. People can come down where they want. Ballard brought in a different guy and drafted another. 

You think Campbell and Hilton were properly used with Brissett unable to make 20% of the playbook throws down field?

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

We've had 2 years to watch the guy operate. People can come down where they want. Ballard brought in a different guy and drafted another. 

As he should have. Ballards job is to improve every position he can when he can. He has always said this team is not about one player. 

Debating this issue is old and stale because there is nothing that can be brought up that hasn't been hashed over too many times already. 

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You think Campbell and Hilton were properly used with Brissett unable to make 20% of the playbook throws down field?

Neither were on the field because of injuries. 

Mater of fact Hilton was on the field when he had no business being there. He was no where near being healthy enough to make an impact. 

27 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Neither were on the field because of injuries. 

Mater of fact Hilton was on the field when he had no business being there. He was no where near being healthy enough to make an impact. 

And the games Hilton was in? Did we use him how we normally do? You think that would have happened if Brissett could get him the ball?

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And the games Hilton was in? Did we use him how we normally do? You think that would have happened if Brissett could get him the ball?

Like we normally do? What, with Luck under center? 

It has already been established that JB is no Luck or Manning so quit making what if comparisons. 

Is this really worth debating at this point? 

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Like we normally do? What, with Luck under center? 

It has already been established that JB is no Luck or Manning so quit making what if comparisons. 

Is this really worth debating at this point? 

I'm not comparing. All I'm saying that because Brissett couldn't make those throws, 20% of our offense was basically out making guys like Hilton and Campbell under utilized

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm not comparing. All I'm saying that because Brissett couldn't make those throws, 20% of our offense was basically out making guys like Hilton and Campbell under utilized

Well it's kind of funny that Brissett didn't have any problems with throwing the ball in a few games last season. You want to dwell on the negative while disregarding anything positive. That is what happens when you are pushing a narrative that is not 100% correct. 

Look, as I ask earlier. Is this worth it at this point? IMO, no. 

Can we just move along? 

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well it's kind of funny that Brissett didn't have any problems with throwing the ball in a few games last season. You want to dwell on the negative while disregarding anything positive. That is what happens when you are pushing a narrative that is not 100% correct. 

Can we just move along? 

What games actually are you referring to? Can you name me a handful of passes that were completed past 20 yards? Why do you think we took Pittman and Taylor? Because our offense was dead last in explosive plays. How many times did the defense get us the ball only to have our offense give it right back. Yes I'm blaming Brissett because he proved he is not a starting caliber QB.

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

The Colts were heavily connected to Rivers (who they signed to a $25M deal), Foles and Dalton...and that's just what we heard about. Ballard keeps a tight ship...so I wouldn't be surprised if other options were explored.

They drafted a RB really early to bolster an already strong running game...drafted another QB in the 4th round...and kept Kelly on the active roster at the end of last year.

Everything they have done since the back half of last season (including changing the playcalling) seems to have been toward the goal of not having JB start another game for the Colts...and if they do need to play a backup QB...they will have an elite run game that they can lean on.

So with Taylor here now...I think Eason is more than capable of managing the game and handing off the ball 35x...if it comes to that. 

An Eason/Kelly battle for backup QB (with the loser being QB3) would be ideal IMO. If Rivers gets hurt (which hasn't happened in 224 games)...or if he is toast...it's all about the future anyways.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Coaching staff has as much confidence in Brissett as I do otherwise why bring in not one, but two QBs to basically push him out the door.

JB has a higher floor, but a much lower ceiling.  It is would not save them much money, they should keep him in case Rivers misses a game.  Eason could also wind up being the primary back up in training camp.  

The advantage is certainly Easons for the future as we know where JB tops out.  

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Those QB's are all about the future not this year.  Our starter and backup this year are signed sealed and delivered.  

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

What games actually are you referring to? Can you name me a handful of passes that were completed past 20 yards? Why do you think we took Pittman and Taylor? Because our offense was dead last in explosive plays. How many times did the defense get us the ball only to have our offense give it right back. Yes I'm blaming Brissett because he proved he is not a starting caliber QB.

It's exactly why they drafted both...a big downfield WR and a HR hitting RB. And it might even be why they really like Eason.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Can we just move along? 

Are any narratives 100% correct? He did look good in a few games...but just about any NFL caliber backup QB can do that...especially with Reich scheming and facing porous pass defenses...which allows a QB to drop back and throw to first reads. 

I just think Eason could step up and be the backup in the unlikely scenario that Rivers gets hurt. He would be handing the ball off most of the time, making a few first reads and throwing a few PA passes. 

On 5/8/2020 at 7:43 PM, Krause9566 said:

Bobby O outplays Lenord

Marvell Tell is our best corner

Lack of Oline depth is huge issue

Burton is steal of free agency 

Tyquan Lewis ends up starting at end

This is a make or break offseason an TC for Lewis its time for him to stay healthy and put up or shut up or he will be gone.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:22 PM, CR91 said:

How is it a tank move? He would basically get the same protection and run game as Rivers. Atleast with Eason, he'll throw past 10 yards

First of all, I don't believe in tanking. I said sink the season, meaning put in a rookie to face NFL defenses, before he has had a year to acclimate. If you think the rest of the team is OK with losing mare games to find out what the future is at QB (and a 4th rounder no less), I would disagree vehemently.  

As far as throwing ten yards, how obtuse is that? Here are highlights from just one game, that shows his arm is quite accurate down the field. 

44 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

First of all, I don't believe in tanking. I said sink the season, meaning put in a rookie to face NFL defenses, before he has had a year to acclimate. If you think the rest of the team is OK with losing mare games to find out what the future is at QB (and a 4th rounder no less), I would disagree vehemently.  

As far as throwing ten yards, how obtuse is that? Here are highlights from just one game, that shows his arm is quite accurate down the field. 

You choose one game where the Texans had one of the worst secondary. How about you try watching the jags game at the end of the year who were torched by everyone.

36 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You choose one game where the Texans had one of the worst secondary. How about you try watching the jags game at the end of the year who were torched by everyone.

You're being obtuse by implying that he only throws 10 yds or less. Whatever dude. 

26 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

You're being obtuse by implying that he only throws 10 yds or less. Whatever dude. 

Watch the saints game. Watch the panthers game. Watch the second Texans game. You really wanna defend him?

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Watch the saints game. Watch the panthers game. Watch the second Texans game. You really wanna defend him?

I defend any Colt player against inaccurate labels, intended to demean. JB did not play like a franchise QB last season. However, he is quite capable of making long accurate throws. 

"Atleast with Eason, he'll throw past 10 yards". 

This statement infers that JB is either unwilling, or incapable of throwing the ball more than 10 yards. It isn't even remotely close to being true. 

Look, I like you as a poster, even if I don't always agree with you.  I get that JB is not the QB you want. But NFL franchises do not have the luxury of "throwing someone out there" to see what they have, unless their entire future looks bleak. The Colts are nowhere near that place, and it would be a really bad move if they chose to use a rookie over a seasoned veteran in the middle of a season. That move would have huge effects on the locker room, trust, and and FA players that search for their next best home. 

It's all good, my fellow Colt fan. Just think of the incredible information that Eason can glean from both Rivers....AND Brissett. 

21 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I defend any Colt player against inaccurate labels, intended to demean. JB did not play like a franchise QB last season. However, he is quite capable of making long accurate throws. 

"Atleast with Eason, he'll throw past 10 yards". 

This statement infers that JB is either unwilling, or incapable of throwing the ball more than 10 yards. It isn't even remotely close to being true. 

Look, I like you as a poster, even if I don't always agree with you.  I get that JB is not the QB you want. But NFL franchises do not have the luxury of "throwing someone out there" to see what they have, unless their entire future looks bleak. The Colts are nowhere near that place, and it would be a really bad move if they chose to use a rookie over a seasoned veteran in the middle of a season. That move would have huge effects on the locker room, trust, and and FA players that search for their next best home. 

It's all good, my fellow Colt fan. Just think of the incredible information that Eason can glean from both Rivers....AND Brissett. 

I appreciate that. Look all I'm saying is Brissett had his opportunity twice to lead this team and it's evident that he can't. If anything, Eason wouldnt even be put in a bad situation if he somehow got to start. We have a run game and defense to ease him in while he gets valuable experience. If he fails, so be it. We move on.

On 5/7/2020 at 11:44 PM, CR91 said:

Now I'm not saying the bottom predictions will happen, but I could see the argument for them happening. You can add a prediction you could see happening as well.

- Mack and Taylor combine for 2000 yards  -  Most Likely

- Leonard wins defensive player of the year  -  Likely

- Eason starts this season  -  Laughable

- Turay leads the team in sacks  -  More Than Likely

- Pittman has more yards and touchdowns then Hilton  -  Less Than Likely

- Hines leads the team in catches  -  Least Likely

___  Eason starting the season?  Seriously?  Are you predicting both Rivers and Brissett going on IR before the season starts?  :lol:

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

- Mack and Taylor combine for 2000 yards  -  Most Likely

- Leonard wins defensive player of the year  -  Likely

- Eason starts this season  -  Laughable

- Turay leads the team in sacks  -  More Than Likely

- Pittman has more yards and touchdowns then Hilton  -  Less Than Likely

- Hines leads the team in catches  -  Least Likely

___  Eason starting the season?  Seriously?  Are you predicting both Rivers and Brissett going on IR before the season starts?  :lol:

No, but Wilson and Prescott started when they weren't supposed to. Just saying.

28 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I get that, but they didn't have to take the starting job from Rivers.

I could see Eason taking the starting job from Brissett, but Rivers?

Cmon man.  tenor.gif?itemid=4393007

Brissett had his shot. The colts bringing in two QBs should be all the writing on the wall Brissett needs.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

He threw at least one pass over 20 + yards every game he played in except for three.

He had 6 games over 200 yards passing.

He had two games over 300 yards passing..

He had 18 TD and 4 running TDs and only 6 interceptions.

Like I said, he is not near as bad as you make him out to be. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He threw at least one pass over 20 + yards every game he played in except for three.

Lol.  The Trent Richardson of QB’s?

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Did he throw it over 20 yards of was it YAC? Big difference.

200 yards and 18 tds for a QB is not a lot and you pointing out he had only 2 300 yard games is making my point for me.

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Are any narratives 100% correct? He did look good in a few games...but just about any NFL caliber backup QB can do that...especially with Reich scheming and facing porous pass defenses...which allows a QB to drop back and throw to first reads. 

I just think Eason could step up and be the backup in the unlikely scenario that Rivers gets hurt. He would be handing the ball off most of the time, making a few first reads and throwing a few PA passes. 

When you overlook every positive thing and hand pick the negatives, it's not being open minded at all. So yes, there is a narrative. 

Things will get sorted out in training camp but at this point Ballard is not going to risk the back up roll to anyone besides Brissett. 

No matter how much the fan base dislikes Brissett and blames him for the all the teams woes it is Ballards choice.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Did he throw it over 20 yards of was it YAC? Big difference.

200 yards and 18 tds for a QB is not a lot and you pointing out he had only 2 300 yard games is making my point for me.

But it makes no difference to you that he was injured or that he didn't have a set of pro level receivers does it? 

Archived