Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Overlooked Offensive Weapon

Scott Pennock

3 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Oh I understand that is the goal. My point is that it was the goal last year as well and the passing game was pretty much non existent. Which that and special teams play led to the Colts losing many games they could have won.

Thats why I am saying Rivers and the young receivers really need to show up. This offense is going to be GREAT if we get any type of air game going.

Agree.  I think the way Reich envisions this offense is to be able to adapt to what the defense gives him.  If they stack the box then we just throw over them.  If they play back then we run it down their throats.  Last year we weren't able to do that because JB wasn't able to complete the passes necessary to keep the defenses honest.  Rivers will most probably fix that issue.  It's up to the WR's to do their part.

As far as Patmon being used in the red zone, don't forget Cox as well.  Having multiple jump ball guys coming from different angles could play huge for us.

12 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I'd imagine you are right.... That a former OC, and backup QB, who is the head coach, has quite a bit of input on how the offensive side of the team is constructed.  Is there any reason to think he wouldn't have a ton of input?  

Nope.....just speaking more to the style of offence he prefers to implement. We r a dome team and he played in a passing offence. Find it kind of funny that he seems to prefer a tough offensive playing style.  I like it

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

While I do believe Frank and Chris want to be a top 5ish running team, that doesn't mean they don't want to be a top 5ish passing team too. It's more about balance and be able to do either when the situation requires it. 

Remove Reich's time in Philly from consideration, because that was Pederson's O, and Pederson calling plays. It's probably better to look at FR's time as OC with the Chargers in 2014 and 2015. He was not only calling plays there (he had a O minded HC though), but he also had Rivers......

2014 Pass Attempts     Run Attemps

574   (59%)                   398 (41%)

2015 Pass Attempts  Run Attempts

667   (63%)                         393 (37%)

I'm not suggesting we'll have the same disparity, but I do think we'll have balance. And I do think we'll see more passing than running. My guess would be 55%/45% ish.... +/- 3%

Just look at Reich with Luck. I think that falls more in line with what they want to do. That would be about a 60/40 split. Rivers, in his career hasn’t been below 58% for a long time.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:10 PM, Jdubu said:

I would think that the HC lets his OC know what his vision of the team’s offense should be like, after all, that’s how your GM drafts for, the vision. Can’t just ad lib an offense and I wouldn’t think a successful team is just given a blank card to the offense and say go score us a bunch of points so we can win!! I would say the HC told FR back in SD to score lots of points in the offense and that to me means high octane and that’s using the passing game more. If he said our defense is going to dictate how this team wins, I just need you to control the clock, keep my defense rested and score enough to overcome a 14 point game. That would indicate a run controlled game. It would be great to have a defense who is dominating to keep teams from scoring more than 14 avg, and an offense who can easily score 27 avg, it’s not the norm. 

I think overall, it's all a mix. Some HCs dictate more, some less. O-minded HCs likely shape the O and provide more guidance, than D-minded HCs IMO. Reich had a HC (Chargers) who had an O background, but Reich still called the plays. Pederson in Philly was O-minded and called the plays instead for FR. I'm guessing we're closer to 2018 Colts %s than 2019's. 

Last year we scored 22.6 on average vs 27.1 (5th) in 2018. 

Defensively, we gave up 23.3 in 2019,  vs 21.5 (10th best) in 2018

Only 5 teams have been in the 14ppg (D) area in the last 10 years, so that's a huge ask.

My hope is give up 17ish or less, and score more than 24 on average.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:01 PM, shastamasta said:

Just look at Reich with Luck. I think that falls more in line with what they want to do. That would be about a 60/40 split. Rivers, in his career hasn’t been below 58% for a long time.

Yup, that's why I went 55/45. I think it might start out 50/50, and get closer to 60/40 later in the year as Rivers builds more chemistry and the rooks get seasoned. While I absolutely think we'll be a top 10 rushing team, I also think we'll be top 10 passing too.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, that's why I went 55/45. I think it might start out 50/50, and get closer to 60/40 later in the year as Rivers builds more chemistry and the rooks get seasoned. While I absolutely think we'll be a top 10 rushing team, I also think we'll be top 10 passing too.

Top 10 in both is likely a top 5 offense overall. That would be fun.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Top 10 in both is likely a top 5 offense overall. That would be fun.

I think it's very possible. We were 7th total in 2018, and were only 19th rushing, and had an OL that was musical chairs the first 3rd of the season.

We now have a top 5 OL, a rush game that was 7th last year (and just added Taylor), and have the QB from the team that was 6th in passing last year.... Rivers goes from an OL ranked 29th, to one ranked 3rd.... That'll help big time, and I doubt we see anywhere near the INTs.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think it's very possible. We were 7th total in 2018, and were only 19th rushing, and had an OL that was musical chairs the first 3rd of the season.

We now have a top 5 OL, a rush game that was 7th last year (and just added Taylor), and have the QB from the team that was 6th in passing last year.... Rivers goes from an OL ranked 29th, to one ranked 3rd.... That'll help big time, and I doubt we see anywhere near the INTs.

IMO we have most of the pieces put together to be very good. It's just a matter of doing it. 

If we end up with a shortened training camp I think we will be better prepared than some other teams. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If we end up with a shortened training camp I think we will be better prepared than some other teams. 

That's an interesting comment.  I though just the opposite, but I may be wrong.   I just thought that adding a new QB and a totally different offensive scheme would need some time.  A rookie WR expected to come in and produce right away.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

That's an interesting comment.  I though just the opposite, but I may be wrong.   I just thought that adding a new QB and a totally different offensive scheme would need some time.  A rookie WR expected to come in and produce right away.  

You may very well be right?

I think Rivers already having a jump on Reich's offensive system and the addition of Buckner on defense we will start good out of the gate. 

Just my thinking. 

Good value in round 6?  Sure.  But he's a lazy route runner which limits his ability to gain space quickly.  And in spite of his size he's not remotely threatening on high pointed passes or contested balls, in fact he gets pushed around more than he should.  This is why he went as late as he did.

Also IMO you gotta be careful stacking a WR corps based on high point types.  It's great to have length and size out wide and all, but the difficulty of an accurate high point throw is greater than hitting a receiver who gets good separation thus making it lower percentage.

I'd go easy on the expectations for this kid as a result.  Maybe down the road he'll shore up his route running and become a nice all-around threat but he's got a long way to go.

I like Patton in the 6th round but if I had to guess he’s going to be a practice squad guy this year. I think Hilton, Pascal, and Campbell will be our starting 3. Pittman will probably split reps with pascal. Fountain will be the number 5 guy, leaving dulin, Johnson, and Patton to battle for the final spot. I believe it will eventually be won by dulin because of his special teams ability, and His familiarity with the team due to the short offseason.

On 5/8/2020 at 3:22 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I said right after the draft that Patmon was a steal in round six.

No doubt this kid has the intangibles to make a name for himself but does he have the Alpha Male mentality to make the 53?  His only knock is he doesn't live up to his size?  Is that a coaching issue or just the ole "It's not the size of the dogg in the fight, but rather the size of the fight in the dogg"?

On 5/11/2020 at 2:54 AM, crazycolt1 said:

IMO we have most of the pieces put together to be very good. It's just a matter of doing it. 

All teams will likely be equally/unequally prepared. The teams relying on rooks at important positions will be most at risk. RB and X are not positions I really worry about being new. Not ideal, but RBs do what RBs do, and big Xs do what big Xs do.

Archived