Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Overlooked Offensive Weapon

Scott Pennock

I've been saying since draft day that Patmon is an unsung draft pick from this years class and he'll be pretty solid for us! In 3 years, with 3 different starting QB's he Caught 156 balls for 1976 Yards and 13 TD's (12.7 Avg). He has a leg up on some other guys too because he plays special teams AND blocks as a WR.

Imagine if you will two 6'4" & 225lbs WR's with 4.48 and 4.52 speed who both block very well, both can highpoint balls, and both can stretch the field vertically at the Z and the X with a 6'0" & 205lbs former RB turned WR with 4.31 speed in the slot.....

Now imagine a RB at 5'10" & 226lbs with 4.39 speed and a scat back with 4.38 speed leaking out of the backfield to catch the underneath routes and dump offs....

Add an elite TE to the mix and the offensive weapons will be aplenty for the 2021 starting QB. 

Anyhow, apparently I'm not the only one who feels this to be true.......https://www-stampedeblue-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2020/5/7/21250450/espns-todd-mcshay-names-colts-rookie-wr-dezmon-patmon-one-of-his-five-instant-impact-day-3-picks?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15889033936471&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stampedeblue.com%2F2020%2F5%2F7%2F21250450%2Fespns-todd-mcshay-names-colts-rookie-wr-dezmon-patmon-one-of-his-five-instant-impact-day-3-picks

https://www.colts.com/news/dezmon-patmon-wide-receiver-washington-state-size-explosiveness

I absolutely like what I’ve read about this kid. He did have a few mentions of drops though. I tell you what, the WR room is stocked full of potential right now. We know what TY gives us, we’ve seen Pascal and his development and everyone loves the Pittman Jr pick. Add in Fountain, Dullin and Patmon. I even forgot about Campbell and then you even have Johnson. Beats the days of Sean Dawkins and Gerome Pathon, Aaron Morehead etc...

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Thanks for sharing Scott as I am also intrigued by his measurable's and hope he can make the transition to the NFL level that most 6th rd picks face!!!  Let's face it though, those measurable's put his success in his corner & its up to his work ethic to decide his fate!  I'm excited and thanks again!

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I wonder what round he would have landed in if the WR class wasn’t so deep. I was thinking 4th.

I think that is quite possible. 

I know all I have seen is his highlight tape but it's pretty impressive.

I just have a feeling he is going to make this team. 

Yes, but...

... each off season we have been hyped over “da’ best WR group we had In a looooong time” or something along those lines. And then reality sets in. The players behind Hilton never seems to catch on. 

I have no doubts about Pittman, but who knows beyond that?

26 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yes, but...

... each off season we have been hyped over “da’ best WR group we had In a looooong time” or something along those lines. And then reality sets in. The players behind Hilton never seems to catch on. 

Exactly!!  Patmon is more likely to be out of the league in 5yrs than a starting WR.  Anything can happen but let’s be real...he is a 6th round pick and they typically don’t make the team. I read an article on Forbes that said 5% of 6th round picks become regular starters. Colts have more work to do on the WR front bc this group is not enough. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Exactly!!  Patmon is more likely to be out of the league in 5yrs than a starting WR.  Anything can happen but let’s be real...he is a 6th round pick and they typically don’t make the team. I read an article on Forbes that said 5% of 6th round picks become regular starters. Colts have more work to do on the WR front bc this group is not enough. 

I wouldn't go that far.   Pittman, Hilton, Pascal, Campbell, Fountain, Patmon.  Not a bad foundation.

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

What else would you do?

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

That’s a little hyperbole as this group, on paper, like every other teams paper look after the draft, is as good as most in the league. You can’t expect a team to have TY and then land Julio Jones, Mike Evans and Deandre Hopkins in the draft while also solidifying every other position on the team. It’s not the way it works. Add in having a competent QB who gets to throw them the ball this season, now you have the makings for a really great wr group. Teams aren’t playing Madden 2020 , they have restraints as to how they can construct a team. 

One day, Pittman will be our #1. That’s one less thing to worry about...replacing Hilton when he retires. 
Gurus all said you could get a really good WR from this draft in the middle to late rounds. There’s good reason for hope here.

2 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yes, but...

So true. If you go by measurables, Dulin is faster, has longer arms, and in spite of being 3 inches shorter, his vertical jump was 2 inches higher.  

Add to that, he already knows the play book.  And he’s going to have a hard time making the team if we go with 5 WRs.   

I wish them both well, but that 4th or 5th WR is going to be the guy who is better on STs and can block in the run game.  

It will be fun to watch the WR group compete

We have had WR starters play due to injuries, that wouldnt have made most teams

It was a VERY thin group at times

Group 1 WR is starting to look MUCH better

TY

Pittman

Campbell

Group 2 WR

Patmon

Dulin

Pascal

Johnson

I bet they keep 6 WRs

Johnson is GONE

Rogers is Gone

Dulin

Pascal

Patmon

make the team

Should be fun to watch

Dulin may head to PS

I think Patmon will make the roster, not sure who is out though. Probably Johnson just because Dulin will play ST. My most overlooked is the same I had as last year, Hines. When he finally got a shot at returns, boom. My guess is Reich and Rivers can figure out how to use him correctly and often.

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I've been saying since draft day that Patmon is an unsung draft pick from this years class and he'll be pretty solid for us! In 3 years, with 3 different starting QB's he Caught 156 balls for 1976 Yards and 13 TD's (12.7 Avg). He has a leg up on some other guys too because he plays special teams AND blocks as a WR.

Imagine if you will two 6'4" & 225lbs WR's with 4.48 and 4.52 speed who both block very well, both can highpoint balls, and both can stretch the field vertically at the Z and the X with a 6'0" & 205lbs former RB turned WR with 4.31 speed in the slot.....

Now imagine a RB at 5'10" & 226lbs with 4.39 speed and a scat back with 4.38 speed leaking out of the backfield to catch the underneath routes and dump offs....

Add an elite TE to the mix and the offensive weapons will be aplenty for the 2021 starting QB. 

Anyhow, apparently I'm not the only one who feels this to be true.......https://www-stampedeblue-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2020/5/7/21250450/espns-todd-mcshay-names-colts-rookie-wr-dezmon-patmon-one-of-his-five-instant-impact-day-3-picks?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15889033936471&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stampedeblue.com%2F2020%2F5%2F7%2F21250450%2Fespns-todd-mcshay-names-colts-rookie-wr-dezmon-patmon-one-of-his-five-instant-impact-day-3-picks

https://www.colts.com/news/dezmon-patmon-wide-receiver-washington-state-size-explosiveness

Patmon is an intriguing prospect.  I think, at least for the first couple of years he will fill that Ebron role, mainly used as a red zone threat or situational matchup threat.

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

TY

Pittman

Campbell

Group 2 WR

Patmon

Dulin

Pascal

Johnson

I bet they keep 6 WRs

Johnson is GONE

Rogers is Gone

Dulin

Pascal

Patmon

make the team

Should be fun to watch

Dulin may head to PS

Isn't Fountain still in the mix?

He's tall with some decent speed...but at the end of the day...he's a 6th round comp pick and WR32. He might as well be an UDFA. Two guys had more yards than him last year at Washington State...and they will be lucky to even get TC invites at some point in their careers.

The likelihood of getting a productive WR that late incredibly low...so I would temper expectations...especially after the Cain hype. 

Personally, I want to see what Fountain can do if healthy.

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

Isn't Fountain still in the mix?

He absolutely should be. He's got more ability than anybody on that list...he was just raw and then got hurt. Probably won't ever get there...but I hope he gets a legit shot.

I like Patmon, but he needs polish. I've watched some film on him and he's a bit of a product of scheme. He's got great size, and is really fast (long speed not agile) for his size. He doesn't really take advantage of his size though, at least not nearly as much as Pittman or Claypool did. If he can both polish up on the route running, and be more aggressive catching the ball, then the sky is the limit. Those are two significant tasks though.

As far as position possibilities, he's likely limited to X or bully slot. I highly doubt he's going to surpass Pittman as the starting X, and also doubt he passes Pascal in year one. And I don't think we'll keep 3 X-like WRs on the roster this year. I do think he's a no brainer for the PS though. If he can improve a little, I can see him surpassing Pascal next year as the #2 X. Pascal could always move to slot as he's a tweener, but that's not happening this season IMO.

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't go that far.   Pittman, Hilton, Pascal, Campbell, Fountain, Patmon.  Not a bad foundation.

We are talking about 4 unknowns, and aging receiver battling injuries and a guy who should be 4-5 on the depth chart. Not trying to be negative but objective. I really like Campbell, Pittman and Pascal...I see them as a good foundation to build from. 

52 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Patmon is an intriguing prospect.  I think, at least for the first couple of years he will fill that Ebron role, mainly used as a red zone threat or situational matchup threat.

That's very possible. I know I was on board with drafting Chase Claypool for that very same reason! In a perfect world I'd love to have #85 and #86 line up and you can't really tell Pittman from Patmon.....

7 hours ago, LockeDown said:

What else would you do?

Keep searching while seeing how the group plays out. It’s enough to get by but no one is elite.  Lots of potential but more unknown than anything.  Campbell and Pittman are definitely the future tho. 

49 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

That's very possible. I know I was on board with drafting Chase Claypool for that very same reason! In a perfect world I'd love to have #85 and #86 line up and you can't really tell Pittman from Patmon.....

I didn't mean to laugh at this, I meant to like it.  But, I also know I will get frustrated hearing the announcers say TD Pittman, no Patmon, no Pascal...  TD Colts. :)

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

With our offensive line, Mack and Taylor, I am not so sure. 

Mack and Williams played well last year and it didn’t get the Colts to the playoffs.

Still need our passing game to do something...

9 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Mack and Williams played well last year and it didn’t get the Colts to the playoffs.

Well it takes a whole team to make the playoffs.

With the offensive line we have, Taylor and Mack will be the main players in this offense.

Rivers will of coarse play his part but Frank will want to control the game by running the football. Controlling the clock and keeping the ball away from the other team will be the norm. 

Keeping the other team from scoring and keeping our defense fresh is a result from a strong running game. 

Like Big Q says "Run the damn football". 

49 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

With the offensive line we have, Taylor and Mack will be the main players in this offense.

Rivers will of coarse play his part but Frank will want to control the game by running the football. Controlling the clock and keeping the ball away from the other team will be the norm. 

Keeping the other team from scoring and keeping our defense fresh is a result from a strong running game. 

While I do believe Frank and Chris want to be a top 5ish running team, that doesn't mean they don't want to be a top 5ish passing team too. It's more about balance and be able to do either when the situation requires it. 

Remove Reich's time in Philly from consideration, because that was Pederson's O, and Pederson calling plays. It's probably better to look at FR's time as OC with the Chargers in 2014 and 2015. He was not only calling plays there (he had a O minded HC though), but he also had Rivers......

2014 Pass Attempts     Run Attemps

574   (59%)                   398 (41%)

2015 Pass Attempts  Run Attempts

667   (63%)                         393 (37%)

I'm not suggesting we'll have the same disparity, but I do think we'll have balance. And I do think we'll see more passing than running. My guess would be 55%/45% ish.... +/- 3%

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

While I do believe Frank and Chris want to be a top 5ish running team, that doesn't mean they don't want to be a top 5ish passing team too. It's more about balance and be able to do either when the situation requires it. 

Remove Reich's time in Philly from consideration, because that was Pederson's O, and Pederson calling plays. It's probably better to look at FR's time as OC with the Chargers in 2014 and 2015. He was not only calling plays there (he had a O minded HC though), but he also had Rivers......

I'm not suggesting we'll have the same disparity, but I do think we'll have balance. And I do think we'll see more passing than running. My guess would be 55%/45% ish.... +/- 3%

The ideal situation would be get a lead and then pound the ball down the throats of the other team. Nothing kills the momentum of a team like getting their butts kicked on both lines of scrimmage. 

Ultimately being balanced is the goal no doubt. 

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The ideal situation would be get a lead and then pound the ball down the throats of the other team. Nothing kills the momentum of a team like getting their butts kicked on both lines of scrimmage. 

Ultimately being balanced is the goal no doubt. 

Being unbalanced is what got him fired from the Chargers. I'm sure he's learned. 

I'm with you about getting the lead, and then punishing them. I think with health, we'll be able to succeed in both facets when needed. Keeping a D guessing is a huge benefit and takes them out of their game plan. Being able to impose your will even when they know what's coming is even better.

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I truly believe Reich has a lot of input in building the offence. One thing is clear, he wants big and physical players. Kind of interesting because the Colts r a dome team. I can tell he wants to be able to win in any environment.

I'd imagine you are right.... That a former OC, and backup QB, who is the head coach, has quite a bit of input on how the offensive side of the team is constructed.  Is there any reason to think he wouldn't have a ton of input?  

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Oh I understand that is the goal. My point is that it was the goal last year as well and the passing game was pretty much non existent. Which that and special teams play led to the Colts losing many games they could have won.

Thats why I am saying Rivers and the young receivers really need to show up. This offense is going to be GREAT if we get any type of air game going.

On 5/8/2020 at 9:00 AM, MikeCurtis said:

TY

Pittman

Campbell

Group 2 WR

Patmon

Dulin

Pascal

Johnson

I bet they keep 6 WRs

Johnson is GONE

Rogers is Gone

Dulin

Pascal

Patmon

make the team

Should be fun to watch

Dulin may head to PS

We are definitely going to have to risk putting a talented kid with potential starter material down the road, on the PS squad wire. In a perfect world, we get our guys on the roster (6) and then we get that 7th kid on the PS to develop. Now, they all get the year of playing time and experience and hopefully free of injury and we see what we have. It guides needing to Re-sign TY or not imho. 

On 5/8/2020 at 9:48 AM, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I think Patmon will make the roster, not sure who is out though. Probably Johnson just because Dulin will play ST. My most overlooked is the same I had as last year, Hines. When he finally got a shot at returns, boom. My guess is Reich and Rivers can figure out how to use him correctly and often.

Hines and Dulin are excellent return plans. 

21 hours ago, shastamasta said:

He's tall with some decent speed...but at the end of the day...he's a 6th round comp pick and WR32. He might as well be an UDFA. Two guys had more yards than him last year at Washington State...and they will be lucky to even get TC invites at some point in their careers.

The likelihood of getting a productive WR that late incredibly low...so I would temper expectations...especially after the Cain hype. 

Personally, I want to see what Fountain can do if healthy.

Patmon and Fountain are fighting the “needs plenty of development “ issues. Both have lots of talent but have many areas of redefinement needed. Pittman has issues but they are much less glaring, that’s the difference in the two. Both may have the same projections in the future, one just is seen more refined now in all those areas. Same with Dulin and with Patmon and Fountain. Pascal finally has mostly come together but it’s taken him 4 seasons to do so. 

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I would think that the HC lets his OC know what his vision of the team’s offense should be like, after all, that’s how your GM drafts for, the vision. Can’t just ad lib an offense and I wouldn’t think a successful team is just given a blank card to the offense and say go score us a bunch of points so we can win!! I would say the HC told FR back in SD to score lots of points in the offense and that to me means high octane and that’s using the passing game more. If he said our defense is going to dictate how this team wins, I just need you to control the clock, keep my defense rested and score enough to overcome a 14 point game. That would indicate a run controlled game. It would be great to have a defense who is dominating to keep teams from scoring more than 14 avg, and an offense who can easily score 27 avg, it’s not the norm. 

I honestly can't remember the last off season we had where our unproven wide receivers weren't hyped to the max.

I can't remember the last time the hype proved to be justified either. Maybe this year but I'm definitely in wait and see mifr rather than making any predictions. 

Archived