Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Indy the only shot JB had at being a starter?

NannyMcafee

Yes. Obviously. 

JB has always been, and will always be, a back up QB. Theres no shame in that at all, it's a job 99% of the population would love.

The only confusion to that statement is simply that quite a lot of people so desperately wanted the Colts to be successful that they pumped sunshine on JB and made him out to be something that he had never shown.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My key words is "He could", not saying he would but some people act like JB is a McDonalds worker. Crap just gets old.

Stidham is better than people think. I'd take his future over JB's

The short answer, no, but signing Rivers early on in the FA period sealed his fate.

Once they drafted Eason the Colts lost ALL leverage in trade negotiations. 

They continue to parrot their opinion that he is a "special" leader and he is "still a starter" in this league - but their actions say otherwise.

The best we can hope for is an injury and someone trades for him OR he (and Rivers, Hoyer and Luck's) 40.7 million falls off the books in 2021 and he signs a decent enough contract elsewhere where we van gain a compensatory draft pick.

We then insert the uber talented Eason into the lineup with an experienced offense around him and the extra 40 million to buy a missing ingredient or two.

14 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

JB will either be in the CFL or flipping burgers at Burger King in the next two years. I would bet on option B.

What a childish comment. 

He just made 30 million dollars in 2 years. He may hire you to flip some burgers? :sarcasm:

13 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Honestly, we have to look at all things equal. JB got thrown into the starting role after playing the supportive "backup QB" role and was caught by surprise during the 4th pre-season game. The reaction on his face on the sideline said it all (blind sided). We have to live with the results of the 2019 season but we have to be fair to JB.

He went from loading the fighter jet with ammo and fuel for AL, to flying the jet with the same "expectation without fall off" as AL, but without any time to prepare (first team snaps, starting QB preparation, film study, coaching, etc.). I'm just calling a spade a spade.

What? Brissett was taking first team snaps, starting QB prep, film study and coaching all through training camp and pre season. Luck was still rehabbing.

I think your spade just got threw into the discard pile. :spit:

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What? Brissett was taking first team snaps, starting QB prep, film study and coaching all through training camp and pre season. Luck was still rehabbing.

I think your spade just got threw into the discard pile. :spit:

What's the similarity this season, last season and the season before that when it comes to the QB position?

The common thread is that JB was looked at and set (especially before the NFL draft) to be looked at as the backup QB. Even as Philip enters this season (before the Draft) he was expected to be the starting QB.

Now with this view point or understanding that Philip will enter as the starter, the entire team will position itself with the intent (plan) with Philip as the starter. This is the handy-cap that JB has been in since joining the Colts. Then when the Franchise QB leaves, It's JB responsibility to take the Colts to the promise land. After he was looked at as the backup QB prior to the season even starting. This season, last season, and the season before that. 

8 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

What's the similarity this season, last season and the season before that when it comes to the QB position?

The common thread is that JB was looked at and set (especially before the NFL draft) to be looked at as the backup QB. Even as Philip enters this season (before the Draft) he was expected to be the starting QB.

Now with this view point or understanding that Philip will enter as the starter, the entire team will position itself with the intent (plan) with Philip as the starter. This is the handy-cap that JB has been in since joining the Colts. Then when the Franchise QB leaves, It's JB responsibility to take the Colts to the promise land. After he was looked at as the backup QB prior to the season even starting. This season, last season, and the season before that. 

Ask any back up QB in the league and they all will say they train every week like they were the starters. That is what they get paid to do. If they don't they will be replaced very quickly. 

This stuff about the starting QB getting all the snaps with the starting unit is not true. I have been to a whole bunch of training camps from Anderson to Terre Haute and back to Anderson. The back up takes turns taking snaps right along side of the starter. The only time the starter takes all the snaps may be during a scrimmage or a 7 on 7 drill. 

16 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I feel bad for Jacoby. Both times he took over were in crappy situations.  But in the end a good QB has to rise above the adversity.  He has had two seasons to show he can be a starter and failed both times. He probably doesn’t have a starting job in the future. 

Ok...please explain the crappy situation for him last year? He got to play QB for a team that made the play offs the year before and was being g talked about as a SB contender. I think most QB’s would like that situation, no? 

His first year where he was traded for and then starting not long after obviously wasn’t ideal, but last year was a dream chance that all back up QB’s would die for. 

Just now, Btown_Colt said:

Ok...please explain the crappy situation for him last year? He got to play QB for a team that made the play offs the year before and was being g talked about as a SB contender. I think most QB’s would like that situation, no? 

His first year where he was traded for and then starting not long after obviously wasn’t ideal, but last year was a dream chance that all back up QB’s would die for. 

When your just handed the keys two weeks before the season it’s a crappy situation not to mention all the WR injuries. But like I said he needed to rise above that and he didn’t. 

23 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

JB will either be in the CFL or flipping burgers at Burger King in the next two years. I would bet on option B.

If his leadership is truly what they say it is (and I have no reason to doubt it)...then he will likely be around the game for a long time.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

When your just handed the keys two weeks before the season it’s a crappy situation not to mention all the WR injuries. But like I said he needed to rise above that and he didn’t. 

1. He had taken all the 1st team reps the entire off season. AL was hurt/rehabbing. He knew there was a very good chance he was going to be starting the first game or two of the seasons as it didn’t seem like AL was going to be back in time. 

2. The job of a backup is to plan and prepare as if you’re the starter, because you normally don’t even get a 2 week notice. 

He had as a good of situation last year as you will find in the NFL...he even got a nice big raise to help boos his confidence. 

On 5/7/2020 at 12:26 PM, KelownaColtsFan said:

I can't figure out why Ballard extended JB's contract at the beginning of last season, rather than letting him play out the season, and then decide weather or not to re-sign him this off season. To me its easily his most questionable decision as GM.

Now it looks silly, I guess? But at the time, it was being talked about in national media as the right move. It was well-respected to give the guy you’ve been hyping as a starting talent, starting QB money and show you’re confident in his play and ability to lead the team. 

cant think of many(any?) teams where he would be a clear upgrade

there are going to be some unproven starters next year though, i would take stidham over jb.  minshew had really similar stats to jb in his rookie year on a bad team.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is not true.   He was taking all the starter snaps through training camp and preseason.  Many expected Luck to miss 2-3 games to start the season.  

He was the backup behind Brady for a season in New England and even started 2 games.

He started 15 games for the Colts the next year.

He was the backup QB behind Luck for a full season.

He started 15 games for the Colts last season.

He still struggles with the same stuff he did in college.  He was given great chances and had 2 great QB's to learn from.   

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Tannehill didn't seem to have much issues taking over for TENN when Mariota had been the starter.

It's not like Reich didn't try to help him with some scheme adjustments...I just think JB is a backup QB.

21 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Yeah right....he'll have enough money to buy dozens of BK franchises.

That's what Junior Bridgeman did...former U of L star and NBA player in the 80s. Bought up Wendy's franchises (among other things) and is now worth $600M.

36 minutes ago, Myles said:

That is not true.   He was taking all the starter snaps through training camp and preseason.  Many expected Luck to miss 2-3 games to start the season.  

He was the backup behind Brady for a season in New England and even started 2 games.

He started 15 games for the Colts the next year.

He was the backup QB behind Luck for a full season.

He started 15 games for the Colts last season.

He still struggles with the same stuff he did in college.  He was given great chances and had 2 great QB's to learn from.   

It’s a little different mentally when your just holding the keys waiting for Luck to come back. I don’t even know why this is a argument when I said he needed to make the most out of the situation and he failed.

On 5/7/2020 at 1:35 PM, KelownaColtsFan said:

How was it the right thing to do? Even at your 9 million number, it could have been done in the offseason. That's the part I don't understand.

I thought it was very questionable at the time. But in hindsight, it just adds up to being a very big miscalculation. Not only did Ballard have to replace JB as the starter...meaning that they would have to eat a big chunk of cap space to move on from JB OR allocate an even bigger amount to keep him as a backup...but the QB market (which was forecasted to be pretty deep) tanked...and more established starters are getting a fraction of what JB was set to cost this year...which means they can't even trade him. We give Ballard a ton of credit for having good foresight...many were even doing so at the time...so rightly we should also be critical when it turns out he really didn't.

Fun fact...Grigs made a LOT of poor FA choices...and he was rightly heavily criticized for it. But JB's $21M cap hit this year is more than the total amount of cap space paid to any one of those individual FA signings.  

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Pretty sure he’d be at least the week 1 starter in New England if we release him. Bill knows it’s likely to happen and he’s just waiting.

Aren't BB's offenses mostly dump off passes to RBs?  Maybe it's me, but I thought those are the ones JB struggles with???

I think Stidham starts, or BB would've grabbed more than Hoyer already 

1 minute ago, jimmy g said:

Aren't BB's offenses mostly dump off passes to RBs?  Maybe it's me, but I thought those are the ones JB struggles with???

I think Stidham starts, or BB would've grabbed more than Hoyer already 

I agree, Stidham probably starts. Pats have a pretty good team and shouldn't need heroics from the QB to stay in games. If he stinks it up the first month, perhaps bring in Cam or Flacco as long he's healed up by then.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Tannehill didn't seem to have much issues taking over for TENN when Mariota had been the starter.

It's not like Reich didn't try to help him with some scheme adjustments...I just think JB is a backup QB.

Tannehill at least had a decent oline, run game and... WRs lol. JB had Ebron who clearly wanted out

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I concur. This is for all those critics of JB, why does coach Riecht always gloat over the 5-2 start just as he did in the off season video with the players (schedule release video)?

Yes JB "should" have raised his level of game to the top however, if he was hurt what was he to do? retire? (not you Chloe6124). @Myles

And tbh, no one knows the level of severity or significance to his injury. I know that JB was trying to play through injury why? Because players like him absolutely have the shortest length of rope. 

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Tannehill at least had a decent oline, run game and... WRs lol. JB had Ebron who clearly wanted out

WRs? He had a really good rookie and no one else. Most of Brown’s production came when Tannehill was playing.

7 hours ago, CamMo said:

Now it looks silly, I guess? But at the time, it was being talked about in national media as the right move. It was well-respected to give the guy you’ve been hyping as a starting talent, starting QB money and show you’re confident in his play and ability to lead the team. 

Yeah JB is well respected for sure but they could have waited to see if he lived up to that hype before opening up Irsay's check book. I dont find the national media all that informative when it comes to the small market teams. The people on here seem to have a better handle on the Colts to be honest.

On 5/7/2020 at 1:35 PM, KelownaColtsFan said:

How was it the right thing to do? Even at your 9 million number, it could have been done in the offseason. That's the part I don't understand.

it was low risk high reward. The cap number was nothing with the boat loads we were sitting on. Irsay wants to take care of his guys if possible, and JB was the starting quarterback (and received plenty of criticism.) He was paid for it and his contributions as a leader of this team. Had he performed big, this year would look like a bargain.  His cap doesn’t really effect the team right now. And we can walk away whenever we want from now on. 

On 5/7/2020 at 1:21 PM, Rackeen305 said:

He went from loading the fighter jet with ammo and fuel for AL, to flying the jet with the same "expectation without fall off" as AL, but without any time to prepare (first team snaps, starting QB preparation, film study, coaching, etc.). I'm just calling a spade a spade.

You're really calling a spade a club, or a diamond even.... How many years of film study do you need? A d he took every single first team snap and walkthrough... He was the number one for an entire off-season of prep.... He might not have known he'd start... But he sure couldn't have gotten anymore prep to... 

10 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I concur. This is for all those critics of JB, why does coach Riecht always gloat over the 5-2 start just as he did in the off season video with the players (schedule release video)?

Yes JB "should" have raised his level of game to the top however, if he was hurt what was he to do? retire? (not you Chloe6124). @Myles

And tbh, no one knows the level of severity or significance to his injury. I know that JB was trying to play through injury why? Because players like him absolutely have the shortest length of rope. 

Reich points to the 5-2 start, because he's a good coach.... Not only is he not throwing his player under the bus.... Go rewatch that half of the season.... The team executed extremely well, and Reich did a damn good job getting W's out of his anemic offense.... Then the rest of the league remembered Jagoby has serious limitations.... Wrs weren't getting any stats those seven games either, so i don't buy the injuries made him worse explanation.... He didn't play above average in all but one of two of those seven wins...

On 5/7/2020 at 12:26 PM, KelownaColtsFan said:

I can't figure out why Ballard extended JB's contract at the beginning of last season, rather than letting him play out the season, and then decide weather or not to re-sign him this off season. To me its easily his most questionable decision as GM.

I think Jim Irsay was to blame for that one, just like how Irsay gave Luck all that money Luck owed us despite Luck retiring. Irsay has a track record of being very generous to his QB's.

On 5/7/2020 at 12:07 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I think his chance is over. I mean Winston couldn’t even get a starting job and is  only making 1 million. That’s why I have said that maybe Jacoby stays here long term as a backup to a young QB. I don’t think he will get a chance as a starter again.

Yeah, barring injury you are correct. I think it's why he's still on this team that they couldn't find any good trade offers for him. He may resign next year as a backup for a much reduced amount or he finds another team to be a backup on. He's not a starter in this league that we all know. 

Archived