Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Indy the only shot JB had at being a starter?


Recommended Posts

It's been kind of an interesting offseason for QBs. But heres my thing. I got to thinking about JB, and how the signing of Andy Dalton makes you wonder. Will anyone really be interested in JB as starter, when Andy Dalton was just signed as a back up for the Cowboys...? Was JBs only chance to be a starter, here in Indy? 

 

I dont see JB being better than Dalton has been. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

It's been kind of an interesting offseason for QBs. But heres my thing. I got to thinking about JB, and how the signing of Andy Dalton makes you wonder. Will anyone really be interested in JB as starter, when Andy Dalton was just signed as a back up for the Cowboys...? Was JBs only chance to be a starter, here in Indy? 

 

I dont see JB being better than Dalton has been. 

JB's shot was last year. It was a fair shot given his circumstance (really he had 17' too). He hasn't been better than Dalton and I don't think there's going to be any teams looking to bring him in as a starter in the future. Team's like their drafted guys. 

Circumstances could add up that he plays extended time I suppose, but really I hope not in a Colts uni. 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think his chance is over. I mean Winston couldn’t even get a starting job and is  only making 1 million. That’s why I have said that maybe Jacoby stays here long term as a backup to a young QB. I don’t think he will get a chance as a starter again.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Last season? Yep.  This season? He never had a real shot.  In the future? Not barring injury, or a move to another league....

JB will either be in the CFL or flipping burgers at Burger King in the next two years. I would bet on option B.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

It's been kind of an interesting offseason for QBs. But heres my thing. I got to thinking about JB, and how the signing of Andy Dalton makes you wonder. Will anyone really be interested in JB as starter, when Andy Dalton was just signed as a back up for the Cowboys...? Was JBs only chance to be a starter, here in Indy? 

 

I dont see JB being better than Dalton has been. 

I think you are correct.   His only option this season and next is as a backup.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't figure out why Ballard extended JB's contract at the beginning of last season, rather than letting him play out the season, and then decide weather or not to re-sign him this off season. To me its easily his most questionable decision as GM.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Andrew Luck messed up a lot of decision making for a staff that was taken aback at the QB position, a position you do not get a chance to go for a marquee free agent easily unless they are in their home stretch like with Peyton, Brady, Rivers etc. It was not like they knew Patriots would part with Brady and Chargers would part with Rivers at the same time.

 

So, here we are. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

I can't figure out why Ballard extended JB's contract at the beginning of last season, rather than letting him play out the season, and then decide weather or not to re-sign him this off season. To me its easily his most questionable decision as GM.

 

 It couldn't have happened without Reich saying he was worth it.
 And understand that Irsay probably jumped in on a QB issue and wanted to flash his $$$ to show the fans we were doing something. He "mentored Grigson." And that was ugly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Andrew Luck messed up a lot of decision making for a staff that was taken aback at the QB position, a position you do not get a chance to go for a marquee free agent easily unless they are in their home stretch like with Peyton, Brady, Rivers etc. It was not like they knew Patriots would part with Brady and Chargers would part with Rivers at the same time.

 

So, here we are. 

Honestly, we have to look at all things equal. JB got thrown into the starting role after playing the supportive "backup QB" role and was caught by surprise during the 4th pre-season game. The reaction on his face on the sideline said it all (blind sided). We have to live with the results of the 2019 season but we have to be fair to JB.

 

He went from loading the fighter jet with ammo and fuel for AL, to flying the jet with the same "expectation without fall off" as AL, but without any time to prepare (first team snaps, starting QB preparation, film study, coaching, etc.). I'm just calling a spade a spade.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

I can't figure out why Ballard extended JB's contract at the beginning of last season, rather than letting him play out the season, and then decide weather or not to re-sign him this off season. To me its easily his most questionable decision as GM.

Extending him was the right thing to do. I do think though it was to much. It should of been maybe eight or nine million. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Andrew Luck messed up a lot of decision making for a staff that was taken aback at the QB position, a position you do not get a chance to go for a marquee free agent easily unless they are in their home stretch like with Peyton, Brady, Rivers etc. It was not like they knew Patriots would part with Brady and Chargers would part with Rivers at the same time.

 

So, here we are. 

They were dealt a crappy hand by the Luck decision no doubt about it, and everything you're saying is true. There was no way of knowing how many quality FA QB's would be available. I get it. It still doesn't explain the decision. If things played out differently and JB was the best option at QB they still could have retained him in the off season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Extending him was the right thing to do. I do think though it was to much. It should of been maybe eight or nine million. 

How was it the right thing to do? Even at your 9 million number, it could have been done in the offseason. That's the part I don't understand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

How was it the right thing to do? Even at your 9 million number, it could have been done in the offseason. That's the part I don't understand.

You couldn’t have hoyer coming in and making more money. There also needed to be a message sent that they trusted Jacoby and he was the guy. There was nothing wrong with giving him a raise. The issue was how much.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You couldn’t have hoyer coming in and making more money. There also needed to be a message sent that they trusted Jacoby and he was the guy. There was nothing wrong with giving him a raise. The issue was how much.

Ahh the back up would have been earning more than the starter. I suppose you're right, I can see how that could cause some resentment. That hadn't occurred to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

How was it the right thing to do? Even at your 9 million number, it could have been done in the offseason. That's the part I don't understand.

 

Because if JB had played real well, his price range would be in the $20 plus mil. range, like Teddy Bridgewater's 3 year $63 mil. range for a "young" mid-tier QB playing the role of a starter, which I think he is, given a full off season as starter to prepare, IMO.

 

Bridgewater would have gotten more if the likes of Winston, Newton, Brady, Rivers etc. were not all in free agency at the same time with the possibility of Foles being available for a trade as well.

 

It is like negotiating a contract with a landscaping company for a huge property, getting a guaranteed lower price for 2 years knowing prices will go up and have their services for 2 years at that price. It is no different than that to me. You are hedging your bets at that point. If they don't do a good job, you keep on them to re-do things better but you are still paying them the same amount of money.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chad72 said:

 

Because if JB had played real well, his price range would be in the $20 plus mil. range, like Teddy Bridgewater's 3 year $63 mil. range for a mid-tier QB playing the role of a starter, which I think he is. Bridgewater would have gotten more if the likes of Winston, Newton, Brady, Rivers etc. were not all in free agency at the same time with the possibility of Foles being available for a trade as well.

 

It is like negotiating a contract with a landscaping company for a huge property, getting a guaranteed lower price for 2 years knowing prices will go up and have their services for 2 years at that price. It is no different than that to me. 

Isn't JB basically making $20 million, and besides,  if he had came in and lit it up nobody would care about paying $20 million.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

JB will either be in the CFL or flipping burgers at Burger King in the next two years. I would bet on option B.

Geez, there will be a lot of burgers scattered on the floor then....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

JB will either be in the CFL or flipping burgers at Burger King in the next two years. I would bet on option B.

Well... you be nice to him when you’re training him on French fries! 
:bossy:

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say yes we were. And his contract is probably a deal breaker for any team who may have considered kicking the tires on a trade(whether Ballard would be willing to get rid of his backup is a different debate)

 

Props to him on getting paid but nobody is going to take on that contract based on the sample size he’s shown everyone thus far. Only chance he has IMO is someone getting hurt and a team getting desperate. Or wait till next year when they can negotiate a better contract. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

I will say yes we were. And his contract is probably a deal breaker for any team who may have considered kicking the tires on a trade(whether Ballard would be willing to get rid of his backup is a different debate)

 

Props to him on getting paid but nobody is going to take on that contract based on the sample size he’s shown everyone thus far. Only chance he has IMO is someone getting hurt and a team getting desperate. Or wait till next year when they can negotiate a better contract. 

Because we already paid his bonus a team might be interested if there is a injury during camp. Dalton got 7 m to back up Dak. So his contact now isn’t that bad.  His contract hasn’t stopped us from doing anything so really we shouldn’t complain. We had so much cap left we could afford it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

I can't figure out why Ballard extended JB's contract at the beginning of last season, rather than letting him play out the season, and then decide weather or not to re-sign him this off season. To me its easily his most questionable decision as GM.

Not really, it is always smart to have a great backup if the QB doesn't work out as a starter and we had the cap space to pay him. He is off the books after this season anyway. As much flack as JB gets, I would rather have him than what the Pats have. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not really, it is always smart to have a great backup if the QB doesn't work out as a starter and we had the cap space to pay him. He is off the books after this season anyway. As much flack as JB gets, I would rather have him than what the Pats have. 

He's a solid back up. No question.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

JB will either be in the CFL or flipping burgers at Burger King in the next two years. I would bet on option B.

Savage here lol, but yeah, wont be a starter but maybe he can stay humble and gainfully employed to hold a clipboard (or tablet i guess) for someone. He is a very rich man now so maybe he would be fine as a backup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

He's a solid back up. No question.

Yeah, I am ok with JB being the backup for another year. If we wouldn't of had the cap space to pay him what we are paying him than I would've questioned the 2 year deal. He is off the books after this year so no harm no foul.

 

As far as can he be a starter anywhere else to the topic. He could in New England right now, maybe even Chicago. Trubrisky isn't any better than JB and Foles is made of glass now days. He could start in Washington or Jacksonville as well, that is 4 teams I just named.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, I am ok with JB being the backup for another year. If we wouldn't of had the cap space to pay him what we are paying him than I would've questioned the 2 year deal. He is off the books after this year so no harm no foul.

 

As far as can he be a starter anywhere else to the topic. He could in New England right now, maybe even Chicago. Trubrisky isn't any better than JB and Foles is made of glass now days. He could start in Washington or Jacksonville as well, that is 4 teams I just named.

Just because you named them does not make it true.  With less of a running game and a much worse oline Trubisky still threw for more yards, just 1 less TD and 2 more INTs,  Both missed over 1-1/2 games because of injury.  That is the closest comparison and neither are very good.

 

New England had the chance to keep JB but didn't so he would not start in NE,  JB is not better than Minshew.  Haskins the jury is still out, but neither team will give up on the 2nd year QBs to give JB a shot at starting.  So we are back to 0 teams.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

JB will either be in the CFL or flipping burgers at Burger King in the next two years. I would bet on option B.

Yeah right....he'll have enough money to buy dozens of BK franchises.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be harsh but this very well could be his last year in the league . With all Qbs coming out and the amount of talented vets a even a back up job could be tuff find for JB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Honestly, we have to look at all things equal. JB got thrown into the starting role after playing the supportive "backup QB" role and was caught by surprise during the 4th pre-season game. The reaction on his face on the sideline said it all (blind sided). We have to live with the results of the 2019 season but we have to be fair to JB.

 

He went from loading the fighter jet with ammo and fuel for AL, to flying the jet with the same "expectation without fall off" as AL, but without any time to prepare (first team snaps, starting QB preparation, film study, coaching, etc.). I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Except for he actually did have all the first team snaps...AL was injured. Starting QB prep, yup got that too. Film study, well I sure hope he was. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Just because you named them does not make it true.  With less of a running game and a much worse oline Trubisky still threw for more yards, just 1 less TD and 2 more INTs,  Both missed over 1-1/2 games because of injury.  That is the closest comparison and neither are very good.

 

New England had the chance to keep JB but didn't so he would not start in NE,  JB is not better than Minshew.  Haskins the jury is still out, but neither team will give up on the 2nd year QBs to give JB a shot at starting.  So we are back to 0 teams.

My key words is "He could", not saying he would but some people act like JB is a McDonalds worker. Crap just gets old.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My key words is "He could", not saying he would but some people act like JB is a McDonalds worker. Crap just gets old.

I thought he flipped burgers at Burger King?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Last year I went to 4 games, some of the gameday gifts included a Quentin Nelson can cozy, a towel with Dwight Freeney's name and number on it, a car flag with the Colts logo on it, and a blue Colts Santa hat.  Then, I received a "For the Shoe" shirt and a Colts facemask at the Jets game this year.  I guess I just got a little spoiled with the cool gifts.
    • The East is a disaster 
    • Foles is a better QB than we have given him credit for. He’s keen on shedding the image he’s a relief pitcher and not a starting pitcher. He’s getting better with time and reps. Bills vs Patriots - those 2 games will show if they’re pretenders about division contention. Unfortunately their run D matches negatively vs Patriots strengths of running the ball. They’ve also come up short vs AFC heavyweights Titans and Chiefs so far.   Only the Steelers have the passing offense to compete vs Titans, Ravens do not. Their upcoming games will be very interesting.
    • One week makes a difference - where are the guys who wanted Cam and Andy Dalton for a box of biscuits?  Dalton looks like prime time Dalton, woefully inadequate.   I still firmly believed all along it was Reich not opening things up and calling too conservative of a game plan most of the time that didn’t help Rivers and the offense. Ironically, Luck was down 0-21 in the Texans 4th down failure game before things were opened up in 2018. Deja Vu???   Lets see how Frank builds upon this.
    • Winning against the bad teams is what more to happen 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...