Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Indy the only shot JB had at being a starter?

NannyMcafee

It's been kind of an interesting offseason for QBs. But heres my thing. I got to thinking about JB, and how the signing of Andy Dalton makes you wonder. Will anyone really be interested in JB as starter, when Andy Dalton was just signed as a back up for the Cowboys...? Was JBs only chance to be a starter, here in Indy? 

I dont see JB being better than Dalton has been. 

15 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

It's been kind of an interesting offseason for QBs. But heres my thing. I got to thinking about JB, and how the signing of Andy Dalton makes you wonder. Will anyone really be interested in JB as starter, when Andy Dalton was just signed as a back up for the Cowboys...? Was JBs only chance to be a starter, here in Indy? 

JB's shot was last year. It was a fair shot given his circumstance (really he had 17' too). He hasn't been better than Dalton and I don't think there's going to be any teams looking to bring him in as a starter in the future. Team's like their drafted guys. 

Circumstances could add up that he plays extended time I suppose, but really I hope not in a Colts uni. 

14 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Last season? Yep.  This season? He never had a real shot.  In the future? Not barring injury, or a move to another league....

JB will either be in the CFL or flipping burgers at Burger King in the next two years. I would bet on option B.

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think you are correct.   His only option this season and next is as a backup.  

Andrew Luck messed up a lot of decision making for a staff that was taken aback at the QB position, a position you do not get a chance to go for a marquee free agent easily unless they are in their home stretch like with Peyton, Brady, Rivers etc. It was not like they knew Patriots would part with Brady and Chargers would part with Rivers at the same time.

So, here we are. 

29 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

I can't figure out why Ballard extended JB's contract at the beginning of last season, rather than letting him play out the season, and then decide weather or not to re-sign him this off season. To me its easily his most questionable decision as GM.

It couldn't have happened without Reich saying he was worth it.
 And understand that Irsay probably jumped in on a QB issue and wanted to flash his $$$ to show the fans we were doing something. He "mentored Grigson." And that was ugly.

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Andrew Luck messed up a lot of decision making for a staff that was taken aback at the QB position, a position you do not get a chance to go for a marquee free agent easily unless they are in their home stretch like with Peyton, Brady, Rivers etc. It was not like they knew Patriots would part with Brady and Chargers would part with Rivers at the same time.

So, here we are. 

Honestly, we have to look at all things equal. JB got thrown into the starting role after playing the supportive "backup QB" role and was caught by surprise during the 4th pre-season game. The reaction on his face on the sideline said it all (blind sided). We have to live with the results of the 2019 season but we have to be fair to JB.

He went from loading the fighter jet with ammo and fuel for AL, to flying the jet with the same "expectation without fall off" as AL, but without any time to prepare (first team snaps, starting QB preparation, film study, coaching, etc.). I'm just calling a spade a spade.

1 hour ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

I can't figure out why Ballard extended JB's contract at the beginning of last season, rather than letting him play out the season, and then decide weather or not to re-sign him this off season. To me its easily his most questionable decision as GM.

Extending him was the right thing to do. I do think though it was to much. It should of been maybe eight or nine million. 

50 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So, here we are. 

They were dealt a crappy hand by the Luck decision no doubt about it, and everything you're saying is true. There was no way of knowing how many quality FA QB's would be available. I get it. It still doesn't explain the decision. If things played out differently and JB was the best option at QB they still could have retained him in the off season.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Extending him was the right thing to do. I do think though it was to much. It should of been maybe eight or nine million. 

How was it the right thing to do? Even at your 9 million number, it could have been done in the offseason. That's the part I don't understand.

8 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

How was it the right thing to do? Even at your 9 million number, it could have been done in the offseason. That's the part I don't understand.

You couldn’t have hoyer coming in and making more money. There also needed to be a message sent that they trusted Jacoby and he was the guy. There was nothing wrong with giving him a raise. The issue was how much.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You couldn’t have hoyer coming in and making more money. There also needed to be a message sent that they trusted Jacoby and he was the guy. There was nothing wrong with giving him a raise. The issue was how much.

Ahh the back up would have been earning more than the starter. I suppose you're right, I can see how that could cause some resentment. That hadn't occurred to me.

21 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

Because if JB had played real well, his price range would be in the $20 plus mil. range, like Teddy Bridgewater's 3 year $63 mil. range for a "young" mid-tier QB playing the role of a starter, which I think he is, given a full off season as starter to prepare, IMO.

Bridgewater would have gotten more if the likes of Winston, Newton, Brady, Rivers etc. were not all in free agency at the same time with the possibility of Foles being available for a trade as well.

It is like negotiating a contract with a landscaping company for a huge property, getting a guaranteed lower price for 2 years knowing prices will go up and have their services for 2 years at that price. It is no different than that to me. You are hedging your bets at that point. If they don't do a good job, you keep on them to re-do things better but you are still paying them the same amount of money.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Because if JB had played real well, his price range would be in the $20 plus mil. range, like Teddy Bridgewater's 3 year $63 mil. range for a mid-tier QB playing the role of a starter, which I think he is. Bridgewater would have gotten more if the likes of Winston, Newton, Brady, Rivers etc. were not all in free agency at the same time with the possibility of Foles being available for a trade as well.

It is like negotiating a contract with a landscaping company for a huge property, getting a guaranteed lower price for 2 years knowing prices will go up and have their services for 2 years at that price. It is no different than that to me. 

Isn't JB basically making $20 million, and besides,  if he had came in and lit it up nobody would care about paying $20 million.

I will say yes we were. And his contract is probably a deal breaker for any team who may have considered kicking the tires on a trade(whether Ballard would be willing to get rid of his backup is a different debate)

Props to him on getting paid but nobody is going to take on that contract based on the sample size he’s shown everyone thus far. Only chance he has IMO is someone getting hurt and a team getting desperate. Or wait till next year when they can negotiate a better contract. 

6 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

I will say yes we were. And his contract is probably a deal breaker for any team who may have considered kicking the tires on a trade(whether Ballard would be willing to get rid of his backup is a different debate)

Props to him on getting paid but nobody is going to take on that contract based on the sample size he’s shown everyone thus far. Only chance he has IMO is someone getting hurt and a team getting desperate. Or wait till next year when they can negotiate a better contract. 

Because we already paid his bonus a team might be interested if there is a injury during camp. Dalton got 7 m to back up Dak. So his contact now isn’t that bad.  His contract hasn’t stopped us from doing anything so really we shouldn’t complain. We had so much cap left we could afford it.

1 hour ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

Not really, it is always smart to have a great backup if the QB doesn't work out as a starter and we had the cap space to pay him. He is off the books after this season anyway. As much flack as JB gets, I would rather have him than what the Pats have. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not really, it is always smart to have a great backup if the QB doesn't work out as a starter and we had the cap space to pay him. He is off the books after this season anyway. As much flack as JB gets, I would rather have him than what the Pats have. 

He's a solid back up. No question.

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

JB will either be in the CFL or flipping burgers at Burger King in the next two years. I would bet on option B.

Savage here lol, but yeah, wont be a starter but maybe he can stay humble and gainfully employed to hold a clipboard (or tablet i guess) for someone. He is a very rich man now so maybe he would be fine as a backup.

1 minute ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

He's a solid back up. No question.

Yeah, I am ok with JB being the backup for another year. If we wouldn't of had the cap space to pay him what we are paying him than I would've questioned the 2 year deal. He is off the books after this year so no harm no foul.

As far as can he be a starter anywhere else to the topic. He could in New England right now, maybe even Chicago. Trubrisky isn't any better than JB and Foles is made of glass now days. He could start in Washington or Jacksonville as well, that is 4 teams I just named.

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, I am ok with JB being the backup for another year. If we wouldn't of had the cap space to pay him what we are paying him than I would've questioned the 2 year deal. He is off the books after this year so no harm no foul.

As far as can he be a starter anywhere else to the topic. He could in New England right now, maybe even Chicago. Trubrisky isn't any better than JB and Foles is made of glass now days. He could start in Washington or Jacksonville as well, that is 4 teams I just named.

Just because you named them does not make it true.  With less of a running game and a much worse oline Trubisky still threw for more yards, just 1 less TD and 2 more INTs,  Both missed over 1-1/2 games because of injury.  That is the closest comparison and neither are very good.

New England had the chance to keep JB but didn't so he would not start in NE,  JB is not better than Minshew.  Haskins the jury is still out, but neither team will give up on the 2nd year QBs to give JB a shot at starting.  So we are back to 0 teams.

3 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Honestly, we have to look at all things equal. JB got thrown into the starting role after playing the supportive "backup QB" role and was caught by surprise during the 4th pre-season game. The reaction on his face on the sideline said it all (blind sided). We have to live with the results of the 2019 season but we have to be fair to JB.

He went from loading the fighter jet with ammo and fuel for AL, to flying the jet with the same "expectation without fall off" as AL, but without any time to prepare (first team snaps, starting QB preparation, film study, coaching, etc.). I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Except for he actually did have all the first team snaps...AL was injured. Starting QB prep, yup got that too. Film study, well I sure hope he was. 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Just because you named them does not make it true.  With less of a running game and a much worse oline Trubisky still threw for more yards, just 1 less TD and 2 more INTs,  Both missed over 1-1/2 games because of injury.  That is the closest comparison and neither are very good.

New England had the chance to keep JB but didn't so he would not start in NE,  JB is not better than Minshew.  Haskins the jury is still out, but neither team will give up on the 2nd year QBs to give JB a shot at starting.  So we are back to 0 teams.

My key words is "He could", not saying he would but some people act like JB is a McDonalds worker. Crap just gets old.

Archived