Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bosa on Buckner, "Leaves void in SF DL"

loudnproudcolt

After reading this article, I am even more excited to have Buckner. I loved the acquisition, but after hearing Bosa talk about all the things Buckner did for that SF line, I just had to smile. He was their D-Line play caller, and the guy who gave they pregame hype speeches. What an addition to the team! Buckner will become one of the instant emotional leaders on this team. Reads very much like he is the Quentin Nelson of the Defensive Line with his play. Quick read, and well worth it!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001112951/article/nick-bosa-says-49ers-d-has-to-step-up-without-buckner

For a guy that values draft picks in Ballard, you had to step back and evaluate why he would give up a first rounder, pick No.13 for Buckner. Once you do that, the answer will be clear. Plus, with this Covid-19 stuff and all, I am not sure it is going to be easy for rookie DTs to ramp up their learning curve either.

I always felt that with the combo blocks and greater strength of NFL guards in the middle, the DT position ROI from the draft tends to wait longer than the DE position where more often than not, until you make them pay consistently, the rookie DE gets 1-on-1s way more against quicker but not as big NFL OL. The flip side is also true, where you find rookie OTs played more than rookie OGs due to the extra communication and strength needed inside, our Big Q is an exception, not the norm. That is why it will take 2-3 years for good ROI on the DT position from the draft and the ROI tends to be faster with the DE position, IMO (both Bosas, our own Freeney etc.).

Long way to explain "Buckner was so worth it." :) 

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

On the "opposite" thing.   

How would a full day of only opposite posts go over on a forum like this one.     It would be tough to get your head around.  

There are already a few who do that on a regular bases. haha

5 hours ago, Myles said:

On the "opposite" thing.   

How would a full day of only opposite posts go over on a forum like this one.     It would be tough to get your head around.  

What you're suggesting would destroy us all man haha

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Buckner stinks and is overrated.   He won't even be starting halfway through the season.  

Just trying to say the complete opposite of what will be true.  

:D

You’d be a natural in politics.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

Buckner stinks and is overrated.   He won't even be starting halfway through the season.  

:lol:....Half the Forum was like...

F5AD00FF-D910-4129-B986-06C80A41B510.thumb.jpeg.4278d9dd4702183bdcbefa1cbccea7ce.jpeg

7 hours ago, Myles said:

Good thinking. Most of the things people say on this forum are flat out wrong, so let's use some reverse psychology.

Ha ha.  Good stuff folks.

I think the Colts took a step back this offseason.   They will probably finish around 6-10 at best.   I can't believe they didn't sure up their running game.   

58 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think the Colts took a step back this offseason.   They will probably finish around 6-10 at best.   I can't believe they didn't sure up their running game.   

Yeah that Johnny Taylor looks like Trent to me, this season has 6-10 written all over it, Rivers is old as dust too Very Funny Reaction GIF

6 hours ago, Myles said:

Please Stop...

my ribs are hurting

Thanks for the laughs!

Thing with Buckner is he's not an elite pass rusher (he's a top 3rd of the league type).  The guy gets mentioned with Aaron Donald but he's not in his class in pressures and there's a 4 year track record to demonstrate that.  Also the other concern is simply paying a DT big money and the question of whether it's wise.  So it's not like the trade was a slam dunk especially when the 9ers ended up with Kinlaw as compensation.

But in the huddle it's about more than stats.  His leadership is off the charts and the guy is very tough mentally.  And I'm a big fan of players who can play the run.  Donald for example for as amazing as he is tends to open holes at times for offenses in the run game.  Buckner won't do that.  He'll manhandle his assignment and won't win as often but snap to snap you get great consistency.

Colts basically elected to pay a DT to ensure they know what they're getting, vice rolling the dice on a guy who will be cheaper on a rookie deal and maybe better.  Hard to fault that move even if I do have reservations on paying DTs.

Archived