Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor being compared to Saquan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ball security yes but he looked pretty good at catching the ball when he was used in that capacity.  I am not going to compare him to anyone. He is his own man. 

He doesn't run like Saquon. He runs like Ezekiel Elliott. He needs a ton of work on ball security and as a pass receiver to get to both their level though.

Well, he DID kinda run like a rolling block of butcher knives. Problem is, we needed a rolling BALL of butcher knives.

Posted Images

What was the system he ran in at Wisconsin? We talk about picking guys who play one style in college and then get to the NFL and play in something different and don’t live up to the expectations. Is Wisconsin man or zone scheme blocking oline? And are we moving towards an all zone scheme here or playing both at different times? This kid looks great but a few of those highlight runs were against Kent state and FIU type colleges. Was nice to see him bust one on Ohio state U. If the kid cuts out the fumbles, is capable of pass protection and shows he can catch enough to make them account for him, wow!! Right now, I still like Mack. 

43 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

What was the system he ran in at Wisconsin? We talk about picking guys who play one style in college and then get to the NFL and play in something different and don’t live up to the expectations. Is Wisconsin man or zone scheme blocking oline? And are we moving towards an all zone scheme here or playing both at different times? This kid looks great but a few of those highlight runs were against Kent state and FIU type colleges. Was nice to see him bust one on Ohio state U. If the kid cuts out the fumbles, is capable of pass protection and shows he can catch enough to make them account for him, wow!! Right now, I still like Mack. 

It don't matter what kind of system he played at Wisconsin. The dude is a beast and the Colts will not regret drafting him. I can understand why Ballard and crew are stoked getting a 1st round talent in the 3rd round.  

While I also like Mack these two are totally different players with Taylor no doubt being the more dominate one. 

• Like 3

I really hope they resign Mack.it would be nice to keep this running game long term. Edge was the last elite RB behind a Colts line, and it was a 1-2 punch that helped take the Colts to a SB victory in 2006. Do the Colts now have elite whole also having an amazing 2and RB? 

The Colts truly all in this year. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I really hope they resign Mack.it would be nice to keep this running game long term. Edge was the last elite RB behind a Colts line, and it was a 1-2 punch that helped take the Colts to a SB victory in 2006. Do the Colts now have elite whole also having an amazing 2and RB? 

Yeah I hope the Colts can resign Mack too. 

The Colts RB room is loaded with talent no doubt. 

• Like 1

Our running game this season should be lethal with Mack and Taylor both. Hines catching passes as well when he is in. We may be like the 95 Huskers with the Line we have and Rivers will just have to make a few big plays here and there. Rivers has to love this situation.

He doesn't run like Saquon. He runs like Ezekiel Elliott. He needs a ton of work on ball security and as a pass receiver to get to both their level though.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Ball security yes but he looked pretty good at catching the ball when he was used in that capacity. 

I am not going to compare him to anyone. He is his own man. 

• Like 8
52 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ball security yes but he looked pretty good at catching the ball when he was used in that capacity. 

I am not going to compare him to anyone. He is his own man. 

He had 16% drop rate! This is not good! He dropped 8 out of 50 catchable targets. And this is predominantly on very easy passes - dump offs and similar short passes that are not contested. Yes the volume increased in his last year, but he was not particularly good at it. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, stitches said:

He had 16% drop rate! This is not good! He dropped 8 out of 50 catchable targets. And this is predominantly on very easy passes - dump offs and similar short passes that are not contested. Yes the volume increased in his last year, but he was not particularly good at it. 

With our talent level at the RB position I highly doubt that Taylor will be used much in the passing game. His bread and butter is running the ball.

Just saying.

I am more concerned in his ability to learn how to block at the pro level. 

57 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

And Trent Richardson was the reincarnation of Barry Sanders.

I know you are probably trying to be funny but not 1 person ever compared Trent to Barry Sanders that I know of. People thought Trent would be good but not Barry like. They weren't even the same type of runners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think as a pure runner, he does remind me some of Barkley.  Both tough, can gain yards after contact, like to plant and just take off with their speed.  But IDK if he can catch or block.  The jury is still out in those areas.  I'm betting with the type of hard worker he reportedly is that he can improve those areas as well.

• Like 2

That highlight reel shows he runs effortlessly. Really good vision. Super quick, pop pop he's already in the backfield and catching everybody out of the play and backpedaling with in 3-4 steps. He just makes it look easy. Has really good speed for his size. You are not arm tackling that dude

• Like 1
7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It don't matter what kind of system he played at Wisconsin. The dude is a beast and the Colts will not regret drafting him. I can understand why Ballard and crew are stoked getting a 1st round talent in the 3rd round.  

While I also like Mack these two are totally different players with Taylor no doubt being the more dominate one. 

I can't agree with that yet.   Not when he hasn't played a down in the NFL yet.   My guess is that Taylor will be the better back, but I can't say that definitively.   Seen too many can't miss draft picks bust in the NFL.  Sometimes, I think it is the speed that throws them off.   Other times the bigger players cause an injury.  

I just want to see him do it for the Colts.  

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

I can't agree with that yet.   Not when he hasn't played a down in the NFL yet.   My guess is that Taylor will be the better back, but I can't say that definitively.   Seen too many can't miss draft picks bust in the NFL.  Sometimes, I think it is the speed that throws them off.   Other times the bigger players cause an injury.  

I just want to see him do it for the Colts.  

Fair enough but most of the draft picks that bust are not RBs. 

The one thing I haven't seen anyone say about him is his ability to follow blockers. He does have the one cut ability with the speed to back it up. 

5'10" 226 lbs with 4.39 in the 40 yd dash?  IMO he will be a handful for opposing teams. 

I think him working with Tom Rathman will help he make the adjustment from college to the pros.

I think in the end both of us are going to be very happy he is on our team. 

I just hope we can retain Mack. These two together could be something special. 

• Like 3

The upside Taylor possesses far exceeds any concerns with fumbles or pass catching.  It was previously mentioned about his work ethic and from all indications, it's stellar.  With that ethic, good catching and repetition, I have confidence Taylor will overcome any issues and be a top 5 back in this league.  Just one guys opinion.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I also like Mack these two are totally different players with Taylor no doubt being the more dominant one. 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

One fumble every 41ish touches is a pretty high rate, but he came to a team with a well known fumbling guru in his position coach, and a split back situation, he has the ability to catch well, it just hasn't ever been asked of him.... We'll see, but there's a history of fast transitions with good to great translation of production at this position for rookies.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know you are probably trying to be funny but not 1 person ever compared Trent to Barry Sanders that I know of. People thought Trent would be good but not Barry like. They weren't even the same type of runners.

Pretty sure that is why they made the comparison..... Because it doesn't work, and they were well aware of it.... That's the punchline.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I believe he was a “rolling block of butcher knives”

Well, he DID kinda run like a rolling block of butcher knives.

Problem is, we needed a rolling BALL of butcher knives.

• Haha 5
8 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Key portion of this post is.....

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I believe he was a “rolling block of butcher knives”

Rumor was is that he never worked very hard.  So it was eventually revealed that he was nothing more than a rolling ball of butter knives.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, life long said:

Edge never won a superbowl as a colt even though he got a ring....

Hah. Didn't even notice his inclusion of Edge on the 2006 SB squad. 

My point was that what worked in 2006 is irrelevant. The NFL game has 

changed markedly in the last 14 years.  

IMO, Taylor doesn't run like Barkley.  Barkley has more shake.  Taylor runs more like Frank Gore or Nick Chubb.  Although he has some shake, I think the style he ran at WI was more of a one cut and straight ahead guy.  

Even though he doesn't have a lot of catches, he seems to do well with the opportunities hes had.

The fumbles look like they are the result of trying to hit the home run on every play.  Something a 4.39 runner probably thinks he can do a lot.  He may have to dial back that thinking in the NFL to seize only the opportunities that are really likely to produce a TD.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd say Taylor reminds me of a faster, lighter on his feet Zeke but with the same trucking ability. 

Saquan has a more insane stop and go ability and much better agility/elusiveness Once in a generation like. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

It would be cool if they would move Hines to WR and have Mack, Taylor and Wilkins at RB. 

I wonder if this would be a possibility?

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not funny. Lighthearted perhaps. At such a stupid comparison. I hope the OP is correct, but we need to stop gushing over most of our picks like they are all top 3 picks, pro bowlers and certain HOFers. Wearing blue tinted glasses is fine, but up to a point. That was all.

• Like 2

Elliot runs a 4.47 and Taylor runs a 4.39. That is a considerable difference. Taylor is as fast or faster than any defensive back chasing him. Elliot would be slower than most of them. In his videos that is often the reason he takes it home so often ...once he breaks through the line he makes it look effortless as he outruns those guys even when they have the angle sometimes.

2 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Not funny. Lighthearted perhaps. At such a stupid comparison. I hope the OP is correct, but we need to stop gushing over most of our picks like they are all top 3 picks, pro bowlers and certain HOFers. Wearing blue tinted glasses is fine, but up to a point. That was all.

{robotic voice} “Blue visor shields deactivated.” 

• Haha 1