Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:Packers had info about the last minute zoom call and didn’t want to chance it. 


Packers have a mole on 56th Street. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

His giant contract makes trading or cutting him prohibitive for two more years.    2002 is when the change will likely happen....

 

Did we miss that ? 2002? Im sure you meant 2020.:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

Well OP, as I posted before the draft, hear everything, believe nothing.  Of course it was a smoke screen.

Right... 

 

Ballard started attending Lives games in 2018 then attended more in 2019 just to throw off teams that were interested in the kid. 
 

We invested all that attention, time and effort just to do nothing with it.

 

Gotcha. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right... 

 

Ballard started attending Lives games in 2018 then attended more in 2019 just to throw off teams that were interested in the kid. 
 

We invested all that attention, time and effort just to do nothing with it.

 

Gotcha. 

 

Right.

 

The Colts liked Love. No revisionist history is going to change that. But we learned in March that they weren't head over heels for him, because they wouldn't have traded out of the first round if they were. 

 

If they spoke to him the day before the draft, they were likely finalizing their board, and probably would have taken him at some point during the draft. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Right.

 

The Colts liked Love. No revisionist history is going to change that. But we learned in March that they weren't head over heels for him, because they wouldn't have traded out of the first round if they were. 

 

If they spoke to him the day before the draft, they were likely finalizing their board, and probably would have taken him at some point during the draft. 

Agreed Love was on the brain trusts radar but appears that his grade didn’t outweigh what the addition of Buckner was

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2020 at 1:06 AM, NewColtsFan said:

 

His giant contract makes trading or cutting him prohibitive for two more years.    2002 is when the change will likely happen....

 

18 years ago?????

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2020 at 5:38 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Could Ballard had info they wanted Pittman or Taylor. I doubt there was any smokescreen though. Packers had info about the last minute zoom call and didn’t want to chance it. 

Not sure why we or any team would create a deliberate smoke screen around a player in hopes that another team would trade up for him.  Unless we were targeting our smoke screen towards HOU, JAX, or TEN to use a draft pick when they wouldn't otherwise have to. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Superman said:

 

Right.

 

The Colts liked Love. No revisionist history is going to change that. But we learned in March that they weren't head over heels for him, because they wouldn't have traded out of the first round if they were. 

 

If they spoke to him the day before the draft, they were likely finalizing their board, and probably would have taken him at some point during the draft. 

If anything, if I was another team and the Colts really did invest this much time in him and traded out of 13th and then never considered trading back into 1st round when he slipped, I would have questions. Like what did they see or hear from him that made them turn. We will never know. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

If anything, if I was another team and the Colts really did invest this much time in him and traded out of 13th and then never considered trading back into 1st round when he slipped, I would have questions. Like what did they see or hear from him that made them turn. We will never know. 

 

Ehh, I don't know if they invested any more time in him than they would another late first / early second round guy on their board. They spent a bunch of time on Pittman, right? Doesn't mean they changed their mind on Love, just didn't have a high enough grade on him to take him at #13. It was the hype train that suggested they might, not really anything the Colts did.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 4:26 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Right... 

 

Ballard started attending Lives games in 2018 then attended more in 2019 just to throw off teams that were interested in the kid. 
 

We invested all that attention, time and effort just to do nothing with it.

 

Gotcha. 

Has anyone ever thought maybe he wasn't all that high on the kid?  You can attend games, evaluate a guy until the cows come home, but suppose you end up thinking "Ya know what?  The kid aint worth it."  It's certainly possible, who knows?  But THIS I can guaran-damn-tee you:  Ballard didn't think the guy was worth a 1st round pick.  And ALL those reports saying the Colts were going to pick him in the 1st were DEAD wrong.  And I'm glad.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Superman said:

 

Ehh, I don't know if they invested any more time in him than they would another late first / early second round guy on their board. They spent a bunch of time on Pittman, right? Doesn't mean they changed their mind on Love, just didn't have a high enough grade on him to take him at #13. It was the hype train that suggested they might, not really anything the Colts did.

They also spent a ton of time with Eason. I still don’t think they had Love graded that high. I bet they had a similar grade as Eason because both are major projects. They wanted players that could impact now with those first few picks. With Rivers and Jacoby they didn’t feel the need to take a QB high at all.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It turned out the way I had hoped.  He just loaded the team up with a couple of stars and his project QB came in the 4th round. Eason will have the better surrounding talent and FO than Love imo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet it was a smokescreen. We wanted Pittman and the LOGICAL choice for GB was to draft a WR in the first round. So we start a rumor that we had a trade partner at the end of the first round if the conditions were right (Isn't this what someone from the Colts admitted?) and everyone knew that we were studying Love. Heck we talked to him the night before the draft, right? (and we let that leak.) So GB doesn't want to miss out on Love and they jump up ahead of where they though we were going to go. Then Ballard tells us that he never had any intention of doing this and was eating popcorn as the end of the first round finished up. Brilliant!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. T said:

I bet it was a smokescreen. We wanted Pittman and the LOGICAL choice for GB was to draft a WR in the first round. So we start a rumor that we had a trade partner at the end of the first round if the conditions were right (Isn't this what someone from the Colts admitted?) and everyone knew that we were studying Love. Heck we talked to him the night before the draft, right? (and we let that leak.) So GB doesn't want to miss out on Love and they jump up ahead of where they though we were going to go. Then Ballard tells us that he never had any intention of doing this and was eating popcorn as the end of the first round finished up. Brilliant!

I would assume it was Loves agent that leaked we had talked to him. I imagine the agents give other teams info about who their clients have talked to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would assume it was Loves agent that leaked we had talked to him. I imagine the agents give other teams info about who their clients have talked to. 

Of coarse it was the agent. He is the one who gets paid more the higher his client gets drafted. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 5:49 PM, DougDew said:

Not sure why we or any team would create a deliberate smoke screen around a player in hopes that another team would trade up for him.  Unless we were targeting our smoke screen towards HOU, JAX, or TEN to use a draft pick when they wouldn't otherwise have to. 

 

 

 

  It is OBVIOUS!
  They needed receiving help and Ballard was afraid they would take what may be the best WR in the draft. Pittman. 
  You think we needed to talk to Love right before the draft to gain some new revelation? Deception would be much more likely IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 5:15 PM, runthepost said:

I remember when folks were saying we need to trade up from 13 to Draft Love lmao

that was before free agency.  after that there were only a couple teams that needed to get a starter from this draft.  Colts didnt need one any more either 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

  It is OBVIOUS!
  They needed receiving help and Ballard was afraid they would take what may be the best WR in the draft. Pittman. 
  You think we needed to talk to Love right before the draft to gain some new revelation? Deception would be much more likely IMO.

Why would GB not want Pittman the more Ballard talked to Love?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 12:49 AM, DougDew said:

Not sure why we or any team would create a deliberate smoke screen around a player in hopes that another team would trade up for him.  Unless we were targeting our smoke screen towards HOU, JAX, or TEN to use a draft pick when they wouldn't otherwise have to. 

 

I guess it would make sense if you are trying to make a team drafting after the Colts to trade up and draft Love(i.e. one less team that could take a player we like). This doesn't make sense for the teams ahead of us though and it doesn't make sense with this much of an elaborate scheme(pretending to be interested in him for so long). 

 

But yeah... IMO it wasn't a smoke screen. It was a regular interest in a player a team was doing their due diligence on. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 12:47 PM, DougDew said:

Why would GB not want Pittman the more Ballard talked to Love?

 

 

Because they really didn’t want to take a chance on losing Love.  I don’t think there was any kind of smokescreen though. This was just the colts doing due diligence and GB bit on it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2020 at 8:09 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Love is a packer now and to tell you the truth after thinking about it Eason fits this team better. Did the colts goat the packers into taking Love and not a WR. The colts seemed like Pittman was the guy at 34 in the next pick series. If they wanted love so bad at 34 I think they would of traded up a few spots.  I am happy with Eason and they are both projects with a lot of upside. The only thing different with love is his ability outside the pocket. Colts mentioned Eason is more athletic then what people think.

 

 

 

Just spitballing but I don't think the Colts would waste their time trying to goad a team from the NFC that we play only once every 4 years into a mistake. 

 

I think there is a good chance they where hoping Love fell to them.  

 

Remember the episodes of "with the next pick" where they actually mention names is edited after the draft.  They want to edit in such a way to make it look like the draft went down exactly how they where hoping.  

 

And I'm not saying that it didn't happen that way.  But they are going to edit it to make it look like Pittman and Taylor where their targets the whole time and any conversations about Love or any other player would not make the cut.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

Just spitballing but I don't think the Colts would waste their time trying to goad a team from the NFC that we play only once every 4 years into a mistake. 

 

I think there is a good chance they where hoping Love fell to them.  

 

Remember the episodes of "with the next pick" where they actually mention names is edited after the draft.  They want to edit in such a way to make it look like the draft went down exactly how they where hoping.  

 

And I'm not saying that it didn't happen that way.  But they are going to edit it to make it look like Pittman and Taylor where their targets the whole time and any conversations about Love or any other player would not make the cut.

Reich mentioned the goal in the draft was to find playmakers. I still don’t think they would of took him at 34. They were intent on getting a playmaker. Now 44 who knows maybe. After hearing a scout after the draft I am convinced they had the same grade on Love as they did on Eason because they are both big projects.  If they wanted him that bad they could of traded up for very little. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 1:07 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Yep. I think packers could of got him at the end of the second. I will almost bet the colts had the same grade on him they had on Eason. They were both big projects.

 

Did you actually see that Jalen Hurts got drafted around #50 by Eagles? How do you honestly think Love would've been there at the end of second round? There are more teams like Vikings, Bears, or even Lions in the same division as Packers who would've been interested in Jordan Love, if no other team picked him until mid-second round. Eagles might have preferred Love ahead of Hurts, if he was available. There's zero reason to believe that Love would've been available at the end of second round. 

 

Packers wanted Love so much, they traded up and got him. There's Zero evidence that they got persuaded to trade up because Colts would've picked him otherwise. Packers could have got more information that someone like Eagles or Jaguars or Bears willing to take Jordan Love, and they got him as early to make sure no one else gets him. It doesn't have to be only Colts - it's mindless fascination that only Colts would've got Love if not for the Packers.

 

I don't know why Colts fans need to even worry about it, when all you need to know is Colts never were looking to trade up to first round for any QB. That's all you need to know. You don't have to justify how both Love and Eason are big projects and how both are one and the same and how it is better you got Eason.

 

If you like Eason, like him for the player he is. I don't get the endless talk about Jordan Love and how Packers got him, when it is clear that Colts didn't try to move up for him.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I will disagree...at least that it’s been a full effort over the long haul...instead of a more recent effort.    At WR...those two 2nd round picks were in years 3-4 of his roster building. He drafted SEVEN other players/positions in the 2nd round (alone) before he used one on a pass catcher...SEVEN...when this team had nobody beyond Hilton at WR. He even passed on AJ Brown and Deebo Samuel to draft some project DE who is currently buried on the depth chart.    Before he drafted Campbell, his first attempt was to draft two late-round lotto ticket WRs to develop...a very low % type of move that rarely works at the WR position.    And he had to know he was depriorotizing the WR position and that those late round WRs were risky to rely on...so to try to help offset that...he signed middling FA WRs to one-year FA contracts...to hopefully catch lighting in a bottle and patch a hole on the roster. But a stopgap measure exists in part because you aren’t willing or able to fully invest in that position yet...aka it’s a half measure (some might even say half *). Ballard did that 3 years in a row.   At TE...there’s been far less. Despite coming from an organization that drafted and developed an elite TE...and seeing that impact firsthand...he has drafted ZERO TEs across 38 draft picks...and instead has focused on UDFAs and stopgap FAs. He did hit with Ebron for one year...but again...that was a stopgap signing. Then this past offseason...with Ebron leaving...he throws a vet min contract at a broken down Trey Burton. The fact that the average age of the Colts TE depth chart was like 29 this year (before Burton got hurt and they added the UDFA)...speaks to how much effort has been put into drafting and developing young TEs over the past few years.   At RB...he did draft an APB in Hines...but that was an early Day 3 pick.  Until Taylor...all of the RB picks were Day 3 picks.   I know that’s a harsh critique...and I am not trying to disparage Ballard for his roster building. But looking at it objectively...there has clearly been far more effort given to other positions until recently.   Going forward...I don’t think we will see a WR taken in the 1st round...but Day Two pass catchers hopefully are the norm.     
    • Rondale Moore opting back in to college football season:   https://www.si.com/college/video/2020/09/25/purdue-rondale-moore-opts-back-in#:~:text=Purdue wide receiver Rondale Moore,surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
    • The Colts knew he was "injured" but acted shocked that it was considered serious by Ebron. 
    • It's not incorrect. Everyone knew about the injury. The only surprise was that he pulled the plug.
    • Done from me after this:   Your comment about me "second guessing Ballard since he got here" is an expression a person would use to criticize another for harboring some sort of bias to perpetually criticize Ballard as standard operating procedure, instead of looking at individual decisions on their own merits.  You probably think it goes back to a Grigson thing or something.  Constantly swooping in to make comments about me in various threads in various ways with that thinking is not even close to being respectful.   As you do with others.   But my piecemeal second guessing of Ballard over the years is different from others' piecemeal second guessing.  You're right in that respect, it started almost when he got here.  Not because of some bias or love for the previous guy, but because objective analysis at the time led me conclude that his very first pick was stupid.   
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...