Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Hookers 5th year option Declined

Guess we're banking on him having a good season and letting him sign a fairly lucrative deal elsewhere so we can get a good compensatory draft pick.

Still think Rhodes is a good candidate to pull a Charles Woodson and successfully convert to safety....

• Like 1
  • Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are no doubt the dumbest poster on this board. Maybe dumber than anyone on the internet.   Please do us a favor ... either find a new team or keep your stupid opinions to yourself.

Why is this so hard to fathom? He is a solid player, who has struggled some to stay on the field. By declining the option, he now has to prove that he can be available. If he does, and truly balls out

I definitely would have hit Hooker with the option. I stated all the reasons earlier, but the biggest one is that the value was for half of what top tier safeties are making in FA right now. And it's

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Semicolt said:

Pro football focus Player Grading Scale:
100-90  Elite
89-85    Pro Bowler
84-70    Starter
69-60    Backup 
59-0       Replaceable

Hooker was rated a 65 in 2017, 79 in 2018 and 70 in 2019.... Overall, a marginal starter, hardly worth an upper first round pick.

pff goes by production, they wont rate him very high if he doesnt get many targets or interceptions.  that said i dont think he did enough to earn a 3X raise either.

if i were him i would want to test the market and see if any cover 3 or 34 man coverage teams were interested.   

2 hours ago, BigO said:

If they value tackling why did they draft him in the 1st place. He was not a good tackler in college. The 2017 draft was not a good one

chuck was a secondary coach

this pick could have been ballards gift to him, and hooker fit his scheme better than what we run now too

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I would be surprised.  He's making 4M this year.  2 year 10-12 M is not that significant to me.  If I'm him I'm betting on myself to have a great year and doing much better on the open market.  

You see another team paying him more then that? Colts would have had to pay close to 7 mil next year.

3 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think if the Colts are looking to move on with Malik Hooker in the future, they should be looking to at least get some value off him via a draft pick or something 

This is necessarily directed at you, but what is it with people in here thinking a player who is on the last year of his contract is worth a trade for a draft pick? Why wouldnt anyone trade a draft pick for a player who is a FA next year...? 

I've seen people say the same thing about Jacoby Brissett. He holds almost zero trade value at this point. 

The only time a trade like this works is for a player of Buckners level. 

• Confused 1
On 5/3/2020 at 12:22 PM, stitches said:

Also... I really have no idea why they wouldn't pick his option. This is insanity to me. There must be something going on behind the scenes...extension related or trade related or injury-related. 

6.7M for what Hooker brings is a no brainer unless there is something else going on. 

I don't know why you're turning this into "insanity" to you....

This is everyday business in the NFL.      You knew something was going on the minute Ballard talked about taking care of this after the draft...

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

After next year, when we bid goodbye to Marlon Mack and keep Jonathan Taylor, that would be pretty much goodbye to the 2017 draft.

Except LB Anthony Walker.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Home town discount, who are you kidding.
  He played a lot of single high and never made plays on the ball. He showed NO intuition.
  I wouldn't bet much he is on the roster come training camp.
    He is what some here think he is. Not as good as we need.

Dear God!     Go ahead,   Make that argument.

Why would we cut him BEFORE training camp?    What do we gain?

And who would replace him?     And if the back-up moves up,  who backs up the new starter?

We're not talking about plucking someone off another team's roster, or picking up someone off of waivers to be the starter.    Every move we've made says we're trying to win this year.    How does cutting Hooker BEFORE training camp help the team win this year?

Good luck with this....

• Confused 1
3 hours ago, stitches said:

I agree. At this point the only reasonable conclusion is that the Colts don't really believe Hooker is very good at all AND that he's not really likely to become good after this season. There are multiple levels to a decision like this pointing to a likely departure after this current season(or even earlier?) - first it means the team is not sold on him, and second it means the player knows the team doesn't like him so... even if he breaks out, he will likely be looking elsewhere to find a team that actually believes in his talent.

Sorry,  but I don't accept this this is the "only reasonable conclusion."

I think they are trying to light a fire under Hooker.  Players typically play their best ball in a contract year.    If Hooker achieves his potentional,  we get a great season from our FS.   At that point,  we either re-sign him or we let him go elsewhere and get the comp pick.

I think you're reading too much into this at this point...

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Just went on his IG page and he deleted all his post....I guess he's pretty salty about the decline I don't think he's gonna be motivated for this season

Of course he'll be motivated. Otherwise hes not gonna get a big contract from us, or anyone else for that matter.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Just went on his IG page and he deleted all his post....I guess he's pretty salty about the decline I don't think he's gonna be motivated for this season

He has a right to feel how he feels right now.  This is still fresh to him.  I know sports is a business and we expect players to be professional but sometimes I think some fans lose sight of the human factor.  He might be in his feelings right now...fresh off this news but that doesn’t mean he will stay in that head space a few months from now.  Let the man deal with things the way he needs to.   I hope he comes back to have a big year and makes Ballard have to make a tough decision next off season. 

14 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Of course he'll be motivated. Otherwise hes not gonna get a big contract from us, or anyone else for that matter.

Naw some guys don't see it like that...some feel like if they don't get that 5th year option they don't see themselves playing for that team anymore period

13 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Naw some guys don't see it like that...some feel like if they don't get that 5th year option they don't see themselves playing for that team anymore period

Yeah but if you go out and suck your not going to get a new team either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Those have all been gone a long time. He did that awhile ago.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yeah but if you go out and suck your not going to get a new team either.

Not necessarily some GM'S or coaches just like certain players and if they become available they will sign them

1 minute ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Not necessarily some GM'S or coaches just like certain players and if they become available they will sign them

Pretty sure Malik’s going to want money. He isn’t going to get it by not playing with effort.

• Like 1
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Pretty sure Malik’s going to want money. He isn’t going to get it by not playing with effort.

Not every player wants a big contract....sometimes they may want to play a team where the location sounds better or playing with a certain players they know

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry,  but I don't accept this this is the "only reasonable conclusion."

I think they are trying to light a fire under Hooker.  Players typically play their best ball in a contract year.    If Hooker achieves his potentional,  we get a great season from our FS.   At that point,  we either re-sign him or we let him go elsewhere and get the comp pick.

I think you're reading too much into this at this point...

I think odds are they let him walk after 2020. The fifth year option wasn't very expensive, I think it was about $7m, which is very reasonable. And it's not fully guaranteed, only for injury.  I will say though, maybe his injury history made them think it was too risky to exercise the option, because if he's injured at the end of the season his option would be guaranteed.

If he has a great year and they have to tag him, it would be over $11m. And then that's your starting point for an extension.

I think this signals that they're ready to let him go. They could still change their mind, make him a great offer, and lock him down before the end of the league year. But I imagine his asking price would be much higher. And the fact that they didn't protect their options after 2020 is pretty telling, IMO.

There's also the possibility that they just extend him this summer, making the option a moot point altogether. Seems unlikely, though. Top safeties are getting $14m/year (Eddie Jackson, Landon Collins, etc.) Second tier guys are getting $9-10m/year (Lamarcus Joyner, Adrian Amos). The Colts just balked at $7m for one year.

I think it's adios for Hooker. And it doesn't seem like they have a serious trade partner, because if they did the option would have increased his value. So he'll probably sign elsewhere in 2021.

• Like 6

really good free safety's are not tackling machines. Dion Sanders and Ed reed would rather push you out of bounds or prevent the reception. Hooker has had to play for some sorry teams. No pass rush, no offensive production. he has been here three years and he is only 24 years old. Even Ed reed would have looked below average if he had to be constantly making saving tackles 20 yards down field. The last time the Colts had good play out of the FS position was with the sack pack in the 70's, and for good reason.

It is very rare for a player to resign with the team that did not pick up their 5th year option. Hooker is gone after this year. This is why we picked Blackmon in the 3rd round. I think Ballard has not been pleased with Hooker's play for a while. So next year Hooker will be playing somewhere else and if he wants a decent contract he should ball out for us

• Like 1

I don't think he's coming back after this season.   They got Blackmon because he does just about everything that Hooker isn't good at.  Mainly man coverage and hard tackling.  If Blackmon starts then there's no room for Hooker.

https://www.colts.com/video/chris-ballard-discusses-drafting-malik-hooker-18788933

interesting to go back to Ballard’s presser post drafting Hooker. “unique”. He keeps mentioning what a unique talent, playmaker, athlete Hooker is. He admitted he needed work with just a year starting at Ohio. Longterm prognosis of his collegiate injury looked good. Ballard was intrigued in his size and speed, called him the best athlete in the draft and loved his playmaking skills in taking the ball away. Even mentioned during his time in Chicago they never took a defensive player (aside from d-line) that couldn’t catch the football because it was such a priority.  

Obviously Hooker’s rookie year injury hurt him. If he made a handful more plays over the past few seasons, would this even be a discussion? I doubt it. He’s not made the plays on the ball that he was drafted to make. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, stitches said:

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. I want to hear Ballard talk about this one. Short of serious injury concerns, I cannot imagine he will be able to give me a convincing answer as to why not guarantee his option. This is a cheap option for a player of Hooker's talent. Even if you are not sure he's worth it, chances are there is one of the other 31 teams that would think he is worth and give you compensation for him. Now we are very likely losing him after this year not just as a player, but as an asset too. 

Anyone know the CBA well? Will he count toward the compensatory pick formula if he leaves next year? 

Because he has not played like a top tier safety. He was picked 15 overall and plays like an undrafred  free agent. What is  more surprising is everyone being shocked by these turn of events. Blackmon was drafted as his replacement but everyone seems to over look his selection. People were pencilling Blackmon in at every position  other than free safety. He is the future, as Ballard and Reich see it.  They must love him a lot to pick him months away from an ACL tear.

• Like 1

Not only did he miss those three games from his knee he was on the injury report and missed a lot of practice the last half of the season also.

39 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

really good free safety's are not tackling machines. Dion Sanders and Ed reed would rather push you out of bounds or prevent the reception. Hooker has had to play for some sorry teams. No pass rush, no offensive production. he has been here three years and he is only 24 years old. Even Ed reed would have looked below average if he had to be constantly making saving tackles 20 yards down field. The last time the Colts had good play out of the FS position was with the sack pack in the 70's, and for good reason.

So u think Ballard has not reviewed the tape and Hooker's play over the last 3 years? By Ballard not picking up the option, Ballard in making is admitting  that he made a mistake.  Time to move on.

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

If he’s not motivated for this season, a contract year ... and not just any contract year, but THE most lucrative contract year he is likely to ever have in his career, then Hooker has BIG time motivation issues.

That being said, I don’t accept what you say about him not being motivated. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He was picked 15 overall and plays like an undrafred  free agent.

You kind of went overboard on that contrast. 

• Like 1

Life of a typical nfl player.  Get drafted, play for four years with that team if you're lucky, then you start over somewhere else. 

Disciplined cap mgt by GM as well.  You don't get anything else unless you're really good and hooker was borderline at best.  Add the injury factor  and not a surprise imo. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God!     Go ahead,   Make that argument.

Why would we cut him BEFORE training camp?    What do we gain?

And who would replace him?     And if the back-up moves up,  who backs up the new starter?

We're not talking about plucking someone off another team's roster, or picking up someone off of waivers to be the starter.    Every move we've made says we're trying to win this year.    How does cutting Hooker BEFORE training camp help the team win this year?

Good luck with this....

Get a grip. He should be traded, period. He is a mediocrity in this D. They get that.

I will let THEM figure it out. There is always talent available, and we are positioned to get it.

JMO 

• Confused 1
4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Get a grip. He should be traded, period. He is a mediocrity in this D. They get that.

I will let THEM figure it out. There is always talent available, and we are positioned to get it.

JMO 

Thanks.   Just what I thought.

You couldn’t make an argument.   A non-answer answer.   Full of uninformed speculation.   Fortunately, that’s not how teams are run. 

i would be slow to move on from Malik. He got hurt by friendly fire and has brought elements to this defense that it lacked (Play Makers). Even the great Bob Sanders was hurt and all the Colts did was win a Superbowl with him in the line-up.

Malik is young. And has a promising future ahead of him. Would hate to see him pick off the ball against the Colts. Healthy Malik, Leonard, Rhodes, Houston, Lewis, Turray and Buckner are key players that will be depended upon heavily this season.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think odds are they let him walk after 2020. The fifth year option wasn't very expensive, I think it was about $7m, which is very reasonable. And it's not fully guaranteed, only for injury.  I will say though, maybe his injury history made them think it was too risky to exercise the option, because if he's injured at the end of the season his option would be guaranteed.

If he has a great year and they have to tag him, it would be over $11m. And then that's your starting point for an extension.

I think this signals that they're ready to let him go. They could still change their mind, make him a great offer, and lock him down before the end of the league year. But I imagine his asking price would be much higher. And the fact that they didn't protect their options after 2020 is pretty telling, IMO.

There's also the possibility that they just extend him this summer, making the option a moot point altogether. Seems unlikely, though. Top safeties are getting $14m/year (Eddie Jackson, Landon Collins, etc.) Second tier guys are getting $9-10m/year (Lamarcus Joyner, Adrian Amos). The Colts just balked at $7m for one year.

I think it's adios for Hooker. And it doesn't seem like they have a serious trade partner, because if they did the option would have increased his value. So he'll probably sign elsewhere in 2021.

I think your scenario is likely, even probable.   But as I was saying to the poster I was responding to, I don’t think it’s the only scenario.   The key word there being...   only.    

Im not trying to be cute or clever...   I think we have options. 

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think your scenario is likely, even probable.   But as I was saying to the poster I was responding to, I don’t think it’s the only scenario.   The key word there being...   only.    

Im not trying to be cute or clever...   I think we have options. 

I agree that there are options. The only option that went away is the one they declined. Just seems like that decision is a really strong indicator as to what they intend to do.

And the last time I said 'odds are the Colts do X,' was right before the second day of the draft, when I said I thought it was probable that they would trade down from one of their second round picks. They traded up. So I don't know anything. 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

The last time the Colts had good play out of the FS position was with the sack pack in the 70's, and for good reason.

Didn't we have a safety win DPOY in '07? I forget his name... Bob something???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Didn't we have a safety win DPOY in '07? I forget his name... Bob something???

Not mention Bethea was maybe the most underrated safety in the league.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

You kind of went overboard on that contrast. 

U r probably right but I think u c my point.  I think the Colts r ready to move on more because of injuries than his actual plays. Howevef, when u do combine both, they feel they can do better

8 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Why is this so hard to fathom? He is a solid player, who has struggled some to stay on the field. By declining the option, he now has to prove that he can be available. If he does, and truly balls out, we might already have his replacement on the team, and get compensation for a first round pick if he goes elsewhere. 

I like the way the team is handling this. 

Maybe this will challenge him to work harder to get better.

• Like 1