Indianapolis Colts
ukcolt12

Malik Hookers 5th year option Declined

Why is this so hard to fathom? He is a solid player, who has struggled some to stay on the field. By declining the option, he now has to prove that he can be available. If he does, and truly balls out, we might already have his replacement on the team, and get compensation for a first round pick if he goes elsewhere. 

I like the way the team is handling this. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Pro football focus Player Grading Scale:
100-90  Elite
89-85    Pro Bowler
84-70    Starter
69-60    Backup 
59-0       Replaceable

Hooker was rated a 65 in 2017, 79 in 2018 and 70 in 2019.... Overall, a marginal starter, hardly worth an upper first round pick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another thing - if you are betting he won't have a good year, then who is your best alternative option for a team that wants to win now? Blackmon is coming off ACL and we don't even know if he will be healthy enough to play at all this year, Odom is bleh... who do you expect to take step forward and man up the second safety spot?

The colts value tackling. Hooker isn’t that good and doesn’t like to do it. 

DougDew...probably deserves an apology from more than a few people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Everyone can complain but I stick to what I said before. This defense was better when he missed the three games with a knee injury. Let’s not forget there is FA and another draft next season.

• Like 4

I think if the Colts are looking to move on with Malik Hooker in the future, they should be looking to at least get some value off him via a draft pick or something 

• Like 1

Think about who we have to re sign also. Maybe they wanted to save that money in 2021. We have Kelly to sign yet. Walker is up after this season. Who knows Mack’s value might not be as much as we think and they might want to bring him back. Houston is a FA. Maybe they think they 6.7 million in 2021 will be better spent.

44 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't see us declining his 5th year option as a sign we're done with him. Hooker is now in a contract year and I can see us working on an extension if he stays healthy and plays well.

He was literally never on the trade block (as far as any public reporting). Teams calling you about a player isn't being on the trade block. Calling other teams making it known that the player is available for the right price is being on the trade block.

If they had any intention on extending him...they would have just picked up the option to at least buy time and gain a year of control. It's only $6.7M...and it's only gtd for injury. If they are that concerned that he might get hurt and cost them $6.7M...I doubt they plan on extending him for even more money in the future.

I think the fact that they declined his option pretty much confirms that he was available for trade in some capacity. Doesn't mean that Ballard was actively calling multiple teams to trade him...but I am sure he was fielding offers heading into the draft. If they don't want to pick up his option...then why would he not be available for trade?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

Another thing - if you are betting he won't have a good year, then who is your best alternative option for a team that wants to win now? Blackmon is coming off ACL and we don't even know if he will be healthy enough to play at all this year, Odom is bleh... who do you expect to take step forward and man up the second safety spot?

A lot can happen between now and the start of the season.  Maybe they are betting this decision will light a fire under him and he has a good season.  If he does it could still work out.  They could still trade him or use one of the tags on him if they want to make sure.  Maybe they like Odom more than you do and they have confidence in him stepping in and being his replacement  this year and Blackmon eventually wins the job the following year.  Maybe they still trade him this year.  This tells me they clearly are not convinced he's the long term answer and they don't want to commit.  

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Why would they want to extend his contract? 

It was reported recently, he was on the trading block... and even if he's not traded, he is under contract for either one or two years (it they exercise option)

Yeah.  I didn't get that either.

He's under contract for next season.  And if they would have granted the option now, he would have been under contract for two seasons.  So why renegotiate and extend a contract for beyond two years when you only have to do one move to have him play two years relatively cheaply?

He has not proven that he is worth having on the team beyond two more seasons, if that, so why would they do an extension now?

50 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Out of curiosity......in general do players usually always move on when their 5th year is declined after the rookie contract ends or is there ample examples of players working out a contract and staying on? 

That's a great question. I just looked at the 2015 draft class (since that is the most recent class whose contracts would have ended)...and there were 12 players who didn't have their options exercised. NONE of them re-signed with their respective teams.

I think HALF were traded (Fowler, Shelton, Erving, Dorsett, Tomlinson, Anthony)...ranging from a 3rd - 5th round pick...and the rest were either released or not re-signed.

Small sample size...but I don't think it's common at all for that to happen.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

In essence they are betting that he won't have a good season. 

And if he does, it makes it really hard to retain him. Do you think he will be in the mood to give the team a hometeam discount after this? No way in hell... he will milk the Colts for every last penny he thinks he can get if we want him back, or he will just leave...

I just don't feel like this is a smart move.

Home town discount, who are you kidding.
  He played a lot of single high and never made plays on the ball. He showed NO intuition.
  I wouldn't bet much he is on the roster come training camp.
    He is what some here think he is. Not as good as we need.

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The colts value tackling. Hooker isn’t that good and doesn’t like to do it. 

If they value tackling why did they draft him in the 1st place. He was not a good tackler in college. The 2017 draft was not a good one

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, stitches said:

And if he does, it makes it really hard to retain him. Do you think he will be in the mood to give the team a hometeam discount after this? No way in hell... he will milk the Colts for every last penny he thinks he can get if we want him back, or he will just leave...

I don't think they are going to retain him. I looked at the 2013-15 players that had their options declined....and only ONE was retained...and that was Kyle Fuller. But Fuller had the missed the entire season prior and had knee surgery...so naturally they aren't picking a (gtd against injury) 5th year option when they don't even know if he will come back.

I think Hooker is either going to be traded (soon) or will leave after next season...I don't really see a scenario where he is back. IF they had any intention of extending him...they would have picked up the paltry $6.7M option.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

A lot can happen between now and the start of the season.  Maybe they are betting this decision will light a fire under him and he has a good season.  If he does it could still work out.  They could still trade him or use one of the tags on him if they want to make sure.  Maybe they like Odom more than you do and they have confidence in him stepping in and being his replacement  this year and Blackmon eventually wins the job the following year.  Maybe they still trade him this year.  This tells me they clearly are not convinced he's the long term answer and they don't want to commit.  

Picking his option does not mean they are committing to long term contract. It just means you have a young starting safety who's had some really good moments under team control for one more year at a reasonable price. This is good assett management... even if you have doubts about his long-term future with the Colts... well... unless you think he's not good at all and he's not only not worth the 6.7M now, but he's also not very likely to be worth it after this coming season(i.e. you are really betting he will be straight up flop this coming season). 

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Home town discount, who are you kidding.
  He played a lot of single high and never made plays on the ball. He showed NO intuition.
  I wouldn't bet much he is on the roster come training camp.

This is demonstrably false. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BigO said:

If they value tackling why did they draft him in the 1st place. He was not a good tackler in college. The 2017 draft was not a good one

I give ballard a pass on the 2017 draft. He had a lame duck coach and didn’t have his coaches in place yet. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I don't think they are going to retain him. I looked at the 2013-15 players that had their options declined....and only ONE was retained...and that was Kyle Fuller. But Fuller had the missed the entire season prior and had knee surgery...so naturally they aren't picking a (gtd against injury) 5th year option when they don't even know if he will come back.

I think Hooker is either going to be traded or will leave after next season...I can't really see a scenario where he is back. IF they had any intention of extending him...they would have picked up the paltry $6.7M option.

I agree. At this point the only reasonable conclusion is that the Colts don't really believe Hooker is very good at all AND that he's not really likely to become good after this season. There are multiple levels to a decision like this pointing to a likely departure after this current season(or even earlier?) - first it means the team is not sold on him, and second it means the player knows the team doesn't like him so... even if he breaks out, he will likely be looking elsewhere to find a team that actually believes in his talent.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BigO said:

The weirdest thing is - his tackling actually was the one thing that improved a lot with him this last season. He had other issues (more important ones) that I think appeared in his game this last season. 

• Like 1

I've said in various threads over the last couple months that Hooker is probably the most expendable FA next year. Even more than Mack IMO. As of now I actually am torn on who I think is most important we bring back. If Hilton returns to form, then him for sure, but if he struggles again with injuries this year, I think we should consider letting him walk, as much as that pains me to say. We drafted Pinter who could ideally play guard or center, but we have no reason to believe he'll be an upgrade over Kelly, but Kelly also had an injury concern. And then Walker has bee highly productive for us. We also have multiple d-line guys like Stewart, Autry, Muhammed, and Day becoming FAs. 

That said I think we're number one in cap space next season right? We could probably bring back all the key guys mentioned, 1 or two d-line guys, and spend the rest elsewhere, possibly extending contracts, and of course re-signing Rivers if applicable.

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Can someone explain to me this is even about. 

Lol. I have no idea. I see it as a snarky way of saying "okay, got it.". His way of showing he's not pleased. But that's speculation. We get so many cryptic tweets in the sports world and never get explanations for more than half of them.

• Like 1

All I remember is being really ticked when hooker hurt his knee last year because we had some really good teams coming up. We ended up playing really good defense without him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I agree. At this point the only reasonable conclusion is that the Colts don't really believe Hooker is very good at all AND that he's not really likely to become good after this season. There are multiple levels to a decision like this pointing to a likely departure after this current season(or even earlier?) - first it means the team is not sold on him, and second it means the player knows the team doesn't like him so... even if he breaks out, he will likely be looking elsewhere to find a team that actually believes in his talent.

That's why I think he gets traded pretty soon...but who knows. Doesn't seem like there is much reason for him to be here if he doesn't fit the defense and if he knows they don't want him here long-term.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

You are no doubt the dumbest poster on this board. Maybe dumber than anyone on the internet.

Please do us a favor ... either find a new team or keep your stupid opinions to yourself.

Hey man...chill. He left himself some wiggle room on saying 90%.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He quoted himself ;)

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Think about who we have to re sign also. Maybe they wanted to save that money in 2021. We have Kelly to sign yet. Walker is up after this season. Who knows Mack’s value might not be as much as we think and they might want to bring him back. Houston is a FA. Maybe they think they 6.7 million in 2021 will be better spent.

ehhh.. what's the big deal if we have 4 years of Malik Hooker or 5 years ? I would have taken the option but it;s not like he's a great player. Thus I'm not upset and have no problem accepting Ballard's decision. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. I want to hear Ballard talk about this one. Short of serious injury concerns, I cannot imagine he will be able to give me a convincing answer as to why not guarantee his option. This is a cheap option for a player of Hooker's talent. Even if you are not sure he's worth it, chances are there is one of the other 31 teams that would think he is worth and give you compensation for him. Now we are very likely losing him after this year not just as a player, but as an asset too. 

Anyone know the CBA well? Will he count toward the compensatory pick formula if he leaves next year? 

Convincing answer? Probably not.

I have been saying for a long time that Ballard is going to have to be selective about who he retains. I think people have boxed Ballard into this prescriptive methodology...and this offseason is proving that was misguided. And the literal "keep your own" mindset is part of that.

However...in this case...not exercising that option is strange.

Ballard gave JB a $28M extension...with $20M gtd when he was heading into the final year of his contract. And all I heard from the FO and coaches is that JB was the guy...and from other fan that this was a great move to give JB confidence and show they have faith in him...and that it was great for the Colture and a sign to the locker room, etc, etc.

And one year later, Ballard's won't commit a one-year $6.7M extension (that isn't even gtd except for injury) to Hooker...and people are like "hmmm...makes sense."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Semicolt said:

Pro football focus Player Grading Scale:
100-90  Elite
89-85    Pro Bowler
84-70    Starter
69-60    Backup 
59-0       Replaceable

Hooker was rated a 65 in 2017, 79 in 2018 and 70 in 2019.... Overall, a marginal starter, hardly worth an upper first round pick.

Not many first round picks in 2017 were worthy of being first round picks it turns out ... Something like four of the top six picks ended up not having their options picked up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Blackmon  is the future 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

You are too kind ... thank you.

9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Convincing answer? Probably not.

I have been saying for a long time that Ballard is going to have to be selective about who he retains. I think people have boxed Ballard into this prescriptive methodology...and this offseason is proving that was misguided. And the literal "keep your own" mindset is part of that.

However...in this case...not exercising that option is strange.

Ballard gave JB a $28M extension...with $20M gtd when he was heading into the final year of his contract. And all I heard from the FO and coaches is that JB was the guy...and from other fan that this was a great move to give JB confidence and show they have faith in him...and that it was great for the Colture and a sign to the locker room, etc, etc.

And one year later, Ballard's won't commit a one-year $6.7M extension (that isn't even gtd except for injury) to Hooker...and people are like "hmmm...makes sense."

Apples and oranges. JB got the contract because Andrew Luck put the Colts in an impossible position two weeks before the start of the season. They gambled that JB would be worth the money and it didn’t work out. They aren’t in that position with Hooker. 

Hindsight Ballard probably should of only given Jacoby around the 8 million range. Enough to reward him for being the starter but not starter money. It’s silly that Jacobys cap hit is almost as much as rivers.

We are going to be losing a lot of fan favorites because like the above says we can’t keep everyone. We need to keep the stars and keep some good middle of the road foundation pieces. Ballard will let you go if he feels he can get the same production out of a cheaper player.

• Thanks 1

I expect an extension if he stays healthy and plays at a high level. If we don’t keep he’ll be a Bear the following season. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

That's a great question. I just looked at the 2015 draft class (since that is the most recent class whose contracts would have ended)...and there were 12 players who didn't have their options exercised. NONE of them re-signed with their respective teams.

I think HALF were traded (Fowler, Shelton, Erving, Dorsett, Tomlinson, Anthony)...ranging from a 3rd - 5th round pick...and the rest were either released or not re-signed.

Small sample size...but I don't think it's common at all for that to happen.

Thanks for that.....I didn't think it would be. I find it interesting mentally how different players would handle that.... essentially they're being told they're not good enough to earn another year....as a player you can either take it as an I'm gonna prove you wrong, play well and earn more money by getting a bigger extension or I'm gonna prove you wrong and play well then move on no matter what the offer is! 

• Like 1

I still think the colts will extend Hooker, but to a cheaper number then the option. Something like 2 year 10-12 mil

• Haha 1

I intuitively felt that we would not sign him for a 5th year, because Ballard's standard requires that player effort is a key determinant. He gave Geather's another year when he was always hurt because the guy gave it all on the field and that rubbed off well in the locker room. Malik may not be wired that way. Malik projects as a hightly talented player "Ed Reed" potential without the heart. Heart is really important to be on the team. 

If tomorrow, Darius Leonard starts to slack off, Ballard will see it and give him a chance to readjust his attitude. If that does not happen, he is gone.

Ballard has always said that this is about the TEAM and not about one player, including Andrew Luck. Reason we love Ballard is because he means what he says. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I still think the colts will extend Hooker, but to a cheaper number then the option. Something like 2 year 10-12 mil

I would be surprised.  He's making 4M this year.  2 year 10-12 M is not that significant to me.  If I'm him I'm betting on myself to have a great year and doing much better on the open market.