Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Hookers 5th year option Declined

ukcolt12

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/1/2020 at 11:33 PM, EastStreet said:

No, please read what I linked. Unless I've done bad math......

Those salaries range (I posted the link to salaries too) range from 6M for the 25th (Bell) to Mathieu at the 3rd spot who makes 14M. The average of those 23 salaries would be 9M and change.

The link you shared, basically gives him pay similar to the 25th spot where Bell is... I've checked the NFL.com site as well on logic/rules. What am I missing?

On 5/2/2020 at 12:21 AM, CR91 said:

I think we're missing a part of the calculation. I did it the same as you and I also got 9 mil, however I have checked 3 different sites and they all say either 6.5 mil to 7

Based on the OTC links @EastStreet posted, it gives you the average salary per year and I don't think the calculation is based on that. You would most likely need to use the specific 2020 salary figures to properly calculate the option salary value.

If any of those guys have more back-loaded contracts, they may show a higher avg/year figure than they're actually making this year.

4 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

Probably. But didn’t Reich also give similar coach speak about Quincy last year?

I'm mostly going by my feelings that he's a good player and approx. 7 million is not a deal breaker by any means. Also as long as he's not injured they could cut him if Blackmon or a 2021 draft choice looked to be a better 2021 option. Just makes more sense than not taking the option. IMO , the major reason for not taking the 5th year is if Hooker has made it known heather play in a different system.

I have to give Ballard credit.  He is not afraid to admit a mistake. Shipping off Hairston and Wilson for picks and declining Hookers fifth year shows he will move on from a player if they don’t preform. Hooker shows flashes but it’s turning out he is closer to the 50% of first round players that are merely average. He isn’t bad but he isn’t great.  I would extend him for 3yrs  11mil with 5mil guaranteed.  That would be a decent price for a four year veteran. 

6 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Not a fan of this move.  I think another year at that salary is more than reasonable.  Creating a need we don't have to a year early.  Oh well.

It doesn’t create a need if Hooker balls out and stays healthy. He could still come back. They do like Blackmon though. 

I dont get what took so long. Is it possible Hooker asked for it not to be picked up so he could become a free agent and find a better fit.

I don't see us declining his 5th year option as a sign we're done with him. Hooker is now in a contract year and I can see us working on an extension if he stays healthy and plays well.

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He is even more so on the trade block.

He was literally never on the trade block (as far as any public reporting). Teams calling you about a player isn't being on the trade block. Calling other teams making it known that the player is available for the right price is being on the trade block.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

It doesn’t create a need if Hooker balls out and stays healthy. He could still come back. They do like Blackmon though. 

I dont get what took so long. Is it possible Hooker asked for it not to be picked up so he could become a free agent and find a better fit.

So that's IF he balls out and IF he stays healthy in which case we pay him more than he would have got anyway.

Or IF Blackmon gets healthy and IF he is as good as or better than Hooker (I don't see how we'll have enough information on that front after this year with his late ACL tear, recovery, and then the additional year or so needed to get back to trusting the knee.  Hooker's 5th year would have been very good in evaluating that). 

I stick by it.  I'm not a fan.  It's not a big surprise, but we're back down on the safety depth next season.

I love the guy but his health has been a problem and I think he doesn’t really fit the cover 2 scheme. He’s more of a single high safety that’s where he plays his best. I think he’s a FA after this year unless he has an impeccable year. 

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. I want to hear Ballard talk about this one. Short of serious injury concerns, I cannot imagine he will be able to give me a convincing answer as to why not guarantee his option. This is a cheap option for a player of Hooker's talent. Even if you are not sure he's worth it, chances are there is one of the other 31 teams that would think he is worth and give you compensation for him. Now we are very likely losing him after this year not just as a player, but as an asset too. 

Anyone know the CBA well? Will he count toward the compensatory pick formula if he leaves next year? 

Just now, stitches said:

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. I want to hear Ballard talk about this one. Short of serious injury concerns, I cannot imagine he will be able to give me a convincing answer as to why not guarantee his option. This is a cheap option for a player of Hooker's talent. Even if you are not sure he's worth it, chances are there is one of the other 31 teams that would think 

he is worth and give you compensation for him. Now we are very likely losing him after this year not just as a player, but as an asset too. 

Anyone know the CBA well? Will he count toward the compensatory pick formula if he leaves next year? 

yes, he will.  If they had picked up his option and then released him later it would not have.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. I want to hear Ballard talk about this one. Short of serious injury concerns, I cannot imagine he will be able to give me a convincing answer as to why not guarantee his option. This is a cheap option for a player of Hooker's talent. Even if you are not sure he's worth it, chances are there is one of the other 31 teams that would think he is worth and give you compensation for him. Now we are very likely losing him after this year not just as a player, but as an asset too. 

If I had to make sense out of declining his option, I'd say it's either the colts are trying to trade Hooker, looking to extend him to a cheaper per average deal, or have no intention of re-signing and will let him walk.

16 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Zero reason?  Why would you pick it up if you don't see the player as a long term asset?  The Cardinals just declined Reddick and he has played in every game since joining the team.  No injuries.  A starting player.  The Colts did not pick it up quickly.  They are taking this to the very last day.  We will find out soon but if it was such an easy decision it would have been made by now and not at the last possible moment.  

I guess the fact they could get a compensatory pick out it this way is one reason, but other than that I find it a mistake.  Now they have to talk about how happy they were with him while he's a lame duck player.  

In essence they are betting that he won't have a good season. 

And if he does, it makes it really hard to retain him. Do you think he will be in the mood to give the team a hometeam discount after this? No way in hell... he will milk the Colts for every last penny he thinks he can get if we want him back, or he will just leave...

I just don't feel like this is a smart move.

Archived