Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Hookers 5th year option Declined

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think we're missing a part of the calculation. I did it the same as you and I also got 9 mil, however I have checked 3 different sites and they all say either 6.5 mil to 7

I read it was about 8 million. I think at that or less , they pick it up. Just makes too much sense not to as the only way they get hurt is an injury . 

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are no doubt the dumbest poster on this board. Maybe dumber than anyone on the internet.   Please do us a favor ... either find a new team or keep your stupid opinions to yourself.

Why is this so hard to fathom? He is a solid player, who has struggled some to stay on the field. By declining the option, he now has to prove that he can be available. If he does, and truly balls out

I definitely would have hit Hooker with the option. I stated all the reasons earlier, but the biggest one is that the value was for half of what top tier safeties are making in FA right now. And it's

Posted Images

Just now, EastStreet said:

Are they all by the same author (Corey) who flunked accounting and changed his major to journalism lol.... I've heard/seen the 9ishM several times (hence my earlier 9.5 mention).

I've checked and double checked the rules/logic on several sites, so unless they changed something in the new CBA (which I can't find anything), Mr. Corey simply has his math wrong.

No. I've even seen it on NFL.com

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

No. I've even seen it on NFL.com

BTW, I've checked a few sites from a quick google... Same author. And NFL TR says projections by Corry (same guy).... So 3 sites, same stuff....

Here's from NFL.com 2 years ago. Look at #16. If you reverse engineer back to those salaries it comes our right using the same logic rules. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930860/article/fifthyear-option-tracker-for-2017-firstround-picks

ESPN "estimates" 8M

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29104773/fifth-year-option-predictions-2017-nfl-first-round-picks-next-mitchell-trubisky-others

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

BTW, I've checked a few sites from a quick google... Same author. And NFL TR says projections by Corry (same guy).... So 3 sites, same stuff....

Here's from NFL.com 2 years ago. Look at #16. If you reverse engineer back to those salaries it comes our right using the same logic rules. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930860/article/fifthyear-option-tracker-for-2017-firstround-picks

ESPN "estimates" 8M

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29104773/fifth-year-option-predictions-2017-nfl-first-round-picks-next-mitchell-trubisky-others

ok

but

24 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

ok

but

Based on what NFL.com says (how they compute) and simple math says, it's 9ishM based on current 3-25th contracts.

Aside from the 6.7 vs 9M debate, he's making 2.1M now. Some of the rankings (safety) I seen have Hooker outside the top 30s (simply not listed). One ranking that includes the top 45 Ss, doesn't include him. In short, the question for the Colts is likely do they want to give him a raise that will at minimum triple his salary and make him near a top 20 paid safety (if only 6.7M), or near top 10 (if 9M) while he's not a top 32 graded guy.

Personally I think he'll have a nice year with the new look DL and be among the top 20 Ss, and at least top 16 FSs, but that's just my gut.

6 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

At 6.7m for the 5th year.... I’d just go ahead and exercise the option.

If he underperforms next season then pull the option next March.

I know the NFLPA was trying to get the 5th year fully guaranteed with the new CBA, but can't find any info on if they succeeded. IIRC, they also wanted to change the 5th year pay structure (no tiers). 

If we can simply pull the option in March without a dead cap hit, I'm all for it.

My gut says they may be still looking at FA acquisitions (like Clowney), so the 5 or? extra $M may be more important than we think.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I know the NFLPA was trying to get the 5th year fully guaranteed with the new CBA, but can't find any info on if they succeeded. IIRC, they also wanted to change the 5th year pay structure (no tiers). 

If we can simply pull the option in March without a dead cap hit, I'm all for it.

My gut says they may be still looking at FA acquisitions (like Clowney), so the 5 or? extra $M may be more important than we think.

Yeah... if those cap $$ are the difference between a deal for Clowney, provided it’s in the 12-13m range to land Clowney.... then I can see holding off on the option.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Yeah... if those cap $$ are the difference between a deal for Clowney, provided it’s in the 12-13m range to land Clowney.... then I can see holding off on the option.

Yup, if they are indeed working on someone, it might come down to either decisions on Hooker's option, or JBs contract. At least we'll know one way or another by Monday for Hooker.

• Like 1
On 4/18/2020 at 10:54 AM, aaron11 said:

do you know how much it would cost?

Yes, since Malik Hooker was  in the picks 11 - 32 range, the cost (as a safety) is $6,770,000 for the 5th year.

Interesting, Picks # 3, 4, and 5 in 2017 did NOT have their 5th year option picked up by their teams!  Since all of them were top ten picks, the pay would be higher at their respective positions than if they were taken in the 11 - 32 selection range.

Solomon Thomas      #3     $13,143,000

Leonard Fournette   #4     $8,483,000

Corey Davis                #5     $15,680,000

With the Bears getting Foles, it 'Bears' watching to see if #2 selection Mitchell Trubisky gets his  $24,837,000 option. If not, that would make 80% of the top 5 selections in 2017 not being exercised. Wow!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

ok

but

Five players left and Hooker is the least expensive by far according to Spotrac.  To not say yes or no at this stage of the deadline tells me there is something else going on.  Other options they are working on.  Maybe more than one.   I think we might be in store for a surprise before the deadline passes.  

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, since Malik Hooker was  in the picks 11 - 32 range, the cost (as a safety) is $6,770,000 for the 5th year.

Interesting, Picks # 3, 4, and 5 in 2017 did NOT have their 5th year option picked up by their teams!  Since all of them were top ten picks, the pay would be higher at their respective positions than if they were taken in the 11 - 32 selection range.

Solomon Thomas      #3     $13,143,000

Leonard Fournette   #4     $8,483,000

Corey Davis                #5     $15,680,000

With the Bears getting Foles, it 'Bears' watching to see if #2 selection Mitchell Trubisky gets his  $24,837,000 option. If not, that would make 80% of the top 5 selections in 2017 not being exercised. Wow!

Wow... 2017’s Top 5 wound up being quite paltry.

That’s a good illustration, for perspective.... of Hooker’s relative value at $6.7m... if a last minute FA deal and any cap ramifications aren’t an impediment.

And a REALLY good illustration of the crapshoot that the NFL Draft is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, pacolts56 said:

Wow... 2017’s Top 5 wound up being quite paltry.

That’s a good illustration, for perspective.... of Hooker’s relative value at $6.7m... if a last minute FA deal and cap ramifications aren’t an impediment.

And a REALLY good illustration of the crapshoot that the NFL Draft is.

And it really makes you feel good when you think we got Buckner for our 13th.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Five players left and Hooker is the least expensive by far according to Spotrac.  To not say yes or no at this stage of the deadline tells me there is something else going on.  Other options they are working on.  Maybe more than one.   I think we might be in store for a surprise before the deadline passes.  

I listened to a podcast last week with Andy Benoit where he said the Colts still talk very highly of Hooker. 

For that type of money, one would think the picking of the option would be automatic. Is it possible they are working on an extension, rather than on a trade? 

• Like 3

I agree either a trade or extension is happening. My guess is a trade. A extension makes no sense with his injury history right now. It would make sense to get it done with all the contacts we have coming up if his play was really great. But that doesn’t seem likely.

The purpose of the option is to give the team an extra year to evaluate them before doing an extension.  Especially for a player with injury concerns.  To me it makes no sense to extend him.  Remember Hooker and Wilson both removed their Colts stuff from their instagram.  Wilson is gone. 

You wonder why they're taking the time to confirm this......can understand waiting until after free agency and draft to see what we have but would think it would have been decided on easily enough by now! 

11 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

You wonder why they're taking the time to confirm this......can understand waiting until after free agency and draft to see what we have but would think it would have been decided on easily enough by now! 

Seems like the Colts are always "laggers" on this kind of reporting ? For instance roster cuts , unless leaked usually are public right at the deadline.  Maybe it changed in the last coupe years but always seemed to be that was the case?

Idk?

$6.7m for 2021 doesn't seem to bad of a deal.

I just don't think a trade makes much sense either? Who we going to replace him with? Blackmon is probably missing a good chunk of the season.

Just seems like they are not showing their decision till they have to.

What do you think an extension looks like?

1 yr $6.7m

Turn it into 3yr $15-$18m?

• Like 3

I would be shocked if they extended him. With Buckner now he might be able to show his full potential. But if Eberflus is not going to use him where he can be his best you might as well trade him. Either change things up so he can be used to the best of his ability or try and get something for him. 

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

Idk?

$6.7m for 2021 doesn't seem to bad of a deal.

I just don't think a trade makes much sense either? Who we going to replace him with? Blackmon is probably missing a good chunk of the season.

Just seems like they are not showing their decision till they have to.

What do you think an extension looks like?

1 yr $6.7m

Turn it into 3yr $15-$18m?

I think Eric Berry becomes a real option if they trade Hooker. The idea would be to have Berry start and bring Blackmon along slowly.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think Eric Berry becomes a real option if they trade Hooker. The idea would be to have Berry start and bring Blackmon along slowly.

Berry is a SS not a FS

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I always liked Berry and am well aware of our connection with him.

What can truly be expected out of him? Didn't play at all last year, injured year before.

Berry makes sense to add to the team, but not to replace Hooker, imo.

I see him as another complementary player. In addition to what we have 

Just wouldn't want to have to rely to much on him.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, w87r said:

What can truly be expected out of him? Didn't play at all last year, injured year before.

I agree

I see EB Mentor/leadership add

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, w87r said:

I agree, Berry was good when playing closer to the LoS and taking on TE matchups, he was not great in the FS roaming in the backfield role.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, BigO said:

Hooker for OJ Howard trade. I would like to see that

They exercised Howard’s fifth year option. Don’t think he is going anywhere. Especially with Brady there.

Also... I really have no idea why they wouldn't pick his option. This is insanity to me. There must be something going on behind the scenes...extension related or trade related or injury-related. 

6.7M for what Hooker brings is a no brainer unless there is something else going on. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

The last of the eligible options have all been declined.  Only Reddick remains besides Hooker and I would doubt he's extended.  If you have doubt about a player 6.7M is still 6.7M.  It might not happen but I still think they are trying to trade him. 

I wonder if the reason this is taking so long is that Hooker is part of a trade package to acquire a player that is going to require an extension like the Buckner trade.  And the Colts and the player are finalizing the new contract this weekend.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The last of the eligible options have all been declined.  Only Reddick remains besides Hooker and I would doubt he's extended.  If you have doubt about a player 6.7M is still 6.7M.  It might not happen but I still think they are trying to trade him. 

I believe the Cardinals have declined his option.    But I'll try to double check.

If it's not declined,  I believe writers covering the team are expecting it to be declined.

This is the last year the 5th year option doesn’t become guaranteed.  Zero reason to not pick it up.  Only a major injury makes the contact guaranteed.  I’ve always suspected they’re working on an affordable extension. If they can’t come to terms then you pick up the option.  Can’t trade the guy without an true replacement and don’t tell me it’s Berry. Blackmon strikes me as a jack of all trades and while he could be a replacement to Hooker his presence doesn’t make an extension impossible. In the end I predict no extension, no trade, option picked up. There’s a huge jump in the salary cap in 2021. Another reason to pick it up. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You’re correct...   nothing official on Reddick yet.  The Cards have not yet made a decision.  They’re  on the clock to get it done — or not.

Just as we are with Hooker. 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Also... I really have no idea why they wouldn't pick his option. This is insanity to me. There must be something going on behind the scenes...extension related or trade related or injury-related. 

6.7M for what Hooker brings is a no brainer unless there is something else going on. 

He is always hurt and has not played up to expectations in this defense. It is not as simple as picking up his 5th year option. Picking up a players 5th year option basically means u see a future for that player in your system. The next step is usually signing that player to a long term contract. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

This is the last year the 5th year option doesn’t become guaranteed.  Zero reason to not pick it up.  Only a major injury makes the contact guaranteed.  I’ve always suspected they’re working on an affordable extension. If they can’t come to terms then you pick up the option.  Can’t trade the guy without an true replacement and don’t tell me it’s Berry. Blackmon strikes me as a jack of all trades and while he could be a replacement to Hooker his presence doesn’t make an extension impossible. In the end I predict no extension, no trade, option picked up. There’s a huge jump in the salary cap in 2021. Another reason to pick it up. 

Zero reason?  Why would you pick it up if you don't see the player as a long term asset?  The Cardinals just declined Reddick and he has played in every game since joining the team.  No injuries.  A starting player.  The Colts did not pick it up quickly.  They are taking this to the very last day.  We will find out soon but if it was such an easy decision it would have been made by now and not at the last possible moment.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Ok...    it’s late at night...   midnight my time, 3a your time.   RSPN is now reporting that Arizona will not pick up Riddick’s 5th year option

Sorry for all the back and forth in this one...