Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

darius leonard on First Take .. and First Things First

CurBeatElite

I really like this young man.  This is worth 5 minutes of time.

He talks early about how he was motivated after being called 'the worst pick' in the NFL draft.

Then says he's excited about Rivers and thinks the offseason additions of Buckner, Rhodes, Rivers makes the Colts SB contenders this year.  

Here's another cool clip (9.5 minutes) on First Things First (from February).

He's a highly motivated young player and he carries a lot of chips on his shoulder.  

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

In the 2nd video Darius talked about being trusted to move around the field.

IMO, with the acquisition of Buckner we will see more of that. 

I agree.  Also, with expected improvements from some other young guys (Turay, Banogu, Ya-Sin, Tell, Willis, Okereke) and additions of Rhodes and others, I think we have a much more well-round overall D.

Leonard led LBs in interceptions last year.  I think with a guy like Buckner commanding more attention at the LOS and with what I expect to be an improved pass rush (Buckner, Turay developing, Banogu developing, Houston still being a threat, Autry being given less attention from opposing OL, etc.) that we'll see Leonard's play continue to improve.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I really like this young man.  This is worth 5 minutes of time.

He talks early about how he was motivated after being called 'the worst pick' in the NFL draft.

Then says he's excited about Rivers and thinks the offseason additions of Buckner, Rhodes, Rivers makes the Colts SB contenders this year.  

Here's another cool clip (9.5 minutes) on First Things First (from February).

He's a highly motivated young player and he carries a lot of chips on his shoulder.  

I like how he is excited but let's be honest that our D did not start off on fire in 2019!!!  Don't forget about the rumors that DL was going to retire due to a 3-4 wk concussion.  With all the talk about not picking up Malik's 5th yr and this D is a mystery for 2020.  I can see dominance if all pieces fall to plan but lets wait n see first.  

Just now, BornHoosier said:

I like how he is excited but let's be honest that our D did not start off on fire in 2019!!!  Don't forget about the rumors that DL was going to retire due to a 3-4 wk concussion.  With all the talk about not picking up Malik's 5th yr and this D is a mystery for 2020.  I can see dominance if all pieces fall to plan but lets wait n see first.  

Rumors about DL retiring were just that, rumors.  DL said they never came from him (he did say after 3 weeks and because he's a husband and father some stuff crept in the back of his mind) -- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001065979/article/darius-leonard-retirement-never-came-from-me  

Anyway, DL came back and went on to be a pro-bowler and 2nd team all pro despite missing time.  

Not sure what not picking up Malik's 5th year has to do with 2020.  As of now, he's part of our 2020 plan and we likely won't see Blackmon suited up until at least October due to him recovering from a knee surgery.  

And yes, our D didn't start off on fire last year (and never really caught fire).  Keep in mind we were starting two rookies in the secondary for a good chunk of the year (Ya-Sin and Willis).  We had a rookie LBer who got significant reps as the year went on (Okereke).  Turay was showing a lot of promise but got hurt.  Hunt's play greatly declined compared to 2018, so did Desir's.  Kenny Moore missed time due to injury, etc.

If this D stays healthy, the additions (Buckner, Day, Rhodes, Carrie) plus growth and development from Ya-Sin, Willis, Turay, Banogu, Tell, Okereke, etc... it's in far better shape than it was last year.

56 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Rumors about DL retiring were just that, rumors.  DL said they never came from him (he did say after 3 weeks and because he's a husband and father some stuff crept in the back of his mind) -- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001065979/article/darius-leonard-retirement-never-came-from-me  

Anyway, DL came back and went on to be a pro-bowler and 2nd team all pro despite missing time.  

Not sure what not picking up Malik's 5th year has to do with 2020.  As of now, he's part of our 2020 plan and we likely won't see Blackmon suited up until at least October due to him recovering from a knee surgery.  

And yes, our D didn't start off on fire last year (and never really caught fire).  Keep in mind we were starting two rookies in the secondary for a good chunk of the year (Ya-Sin and Willis).  We had a rookie LBer who got significant reps as the year went on (Okereke).  Turay was showing a lot of promise but got hurt.  Hunt's play greatly declined compared to 2018, so did Desir's.  Kenny Moore missed time due to injury, etc.

If this D stays healthy, the additions (Buckner, Day, Rhodes, Carrie) plus growth and development from Ya-Sin, Willis, Turay, Banogu, Tell, Okereke, etc... it's in far better shape than it was last year.

I'm ready to see an All American LB being paired with an All American Lineman to solidify this D for 2020!  All GREAT D's have ALL Americans at all 3 levels of the defense.  We have Buckner, Darious and what was supposed to be Hooker but the Jury is still out??  That's where I was going with this post, is that Hooker is the mystery playmaker in the secondary from keeping this D in becoming dominant!  

12 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

I'm ready to see an All American LB being paired with an All American Lineman to solidify this D for 2020!  All GREAT D's have ALL Americans at all 3 levels of the defense.  We have Buckner, Darious and what was supposed to be Hooker but the Jury is still out??  That's where I was going with this post, is that Hooker is the mystery playmaker in the secondary from keeping this D in becoming dominant!  

You mean All-Pro right? All-American is CFB

On 5/4/2020 at 3:13 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

You mean All-Pro right? All-American is CFB

HaHa, good catch or punt for that matter lol!  I guess the jury has come to a conclusion on Hooker when they decided his play did not garner another yr of his duties.  For this D to really be topnotch, we must find that All-Pro (hehe) at the safety position.  John Lynch, Ed Reed and Gary Fencik helped solidify the secondary!  Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis and Mike Singletary solidified the LB position!  Warren Sapp, Haloti Ngata and Dan Hampton on the Dline!  I just named 3 All-Pro players at every level of the D on the BEST Defenses of ALL time!  With Deforest Buckner and Darious Leonard on the roster, we are one All-Pro safety away from conversations about the 2020 Colts D in ELITE company.  

5 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

HaHa, good catch or punt for that matter lol!  I guess the jury has come to a conclusion on Hooker when they decided his play did not garner another yr of his duties.  For this D to really be topnotch, we must find that All-Pro (hehe) at the safety position.  John Lynch, Ed Reed and Gary Fencik helped solidify the secondary!  Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis and Mike Singletary solidified the LB position!  Warren Sapp, Haloti Ngata and Dan Hampton on the Dline!  I just named 3 All-Pro players at every level of the D on the BEST Defenses of ALL time!  With Deforest Buckner and Darious Leonard on the roster, we are one All-Pro safety away from conversations about the 2020 Colts D in ELITE company.  

While we all would love having all pro players at every position we also have to face reality.

The Colts do not have to have an all pro safety to be elite. 

I like your enthusiasm but the play of the defensive line and the pressure put on the opposing QB is what makes the D backs look good or not.  

You think John Lynch, Ed Reed or Gary Fencik didn't benefit big time by their team having a ton of pressure on the opposing QBs? 

It's a chain reaction. 

Safety is not a cornerstone position.  They're great to have and also impact your flexibility in sub packages, certainly, but there is a reason they're the least paid position in the NFL in free agency.

Cornerstone positions are QB, LT, Edge, and CB. 

In the secondary having a top CB1 is crucial because it allows the defense to erase a WR2 while you double up the WR1.  From there as you weigh your CB2 vs FS things start to even up a bit imo.  Not saying FS isn't important, it is of course, but relatively speaking to be a contender you need to be good in those top 4 positions.

Edge can have some room for error if you have a top 3T.  QB can have some room for error if you have a dominant run game.  So there's some room for error.

LT is probably the position with the least room for error.  A mobile QB impacts that equation due to the end needing to have contain on his mind vice just pinning his ears back vs a pocket guy.  But I still feel like teams who don't have LT filled are not contenders.

Archived