Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gil Brandt ranks Rivers to Hilton 10th best QB-WR combo in NFL

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001112370/article/breesthomas-ryanjones-among-top-10-qbwr-pairings?campaign=Twitter_atn

I think he's pretty spot on with all these combos being top 10, but I don't know that I agree with his ordering (e.g., I think Brady to Evans is going to be top 3).  

Anyway, if Rivers and TY can both stay healthy, and if guys like Campbell and Pittman Jr. can step up and alleviate some pressure off TY, they should have a solid year, IMO.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

TY can have a solid year.

But he won't finish in the top 20 in yards receiving.

If he and Rivers both play 16 (17?) games and he doesn't finish in the top 20 then I'd wager it won't have been a solid year from TY.

I think he'll have a pretty nice year honestly. He'll be the WR1 and I wouldn't be overly surprised if Rivers has to lean on him as Dulin and Foutain are cool and all, but they're not changing games and then the two young guys are still  all hypothetical right now..TY is the guy and it's not obvious who's 2 or if 2 is really on the roster right now. I'm not sure this team has a bigger question mark right now than that.

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

If he and Rivers both play 16 (17?) games and he doesn't finish in the top 20 then I'd wager it won't have been a solid year from TY.

I think he'll have a pretty nice year honestly. He'll be the WR1 and I wouldn't be overly surprised if Rivers has to lean on him as Dulin and Foutain are cool and all, but they're not changing games and then the two young guys are still  all hypothetical right now..TY is the guy and it's not obvious who's 2 or if 2 is really on the roster right now. I'm not sure this team has a bigger question mark right now than that.

A lot of ifs at the WR position.

IF TY stays healthy, and IF Campbell stays healthy and continues to develop, and IF Pittman has a solid year... the WR unit has a chance to be one of our strongest on the team... but until I see it, I'll have a hard time believing it.

• Like 1

Keep in my mind we do plan on running a lot this year.  It's pretty obvious so that's going to effect some of the passing stats.  They'll definitely be a solid combo for sure though. 

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, krunk said:

Keep in my mind we do plan on running a lot this year.  It's pretty obvious so that's going to effect some of the passing stats.  They'll definitely be a solid combo for sure though. 

Yes, I think we're going to still aim to be in the top 5ish running attacks, and I think the addition of Taylor made that clear... that said, Reich clearly wants more balance this year.  If we have healthy WRs with Rivers at QB, we should be able to do that..

https://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/25496/frank-reich-makes-progress-on-makeover-of-colts-offense

“That hurt,” Reich said in February during the NFL combine. “I’ve always taken pride in having a dynamic passing game. Everywhere that we’ve been, I’m not saying we’ve been the best in the league, but the teams I’ve been on have been pretty dynamic for the most part. You can’t always have it all. We made some good strides in the running game. That’s a very important step for our team and where we’re going and how we get to the next level. I know we can do this other side of it. We just have to figure that out and get better there, and I think the end result will be a good thing.”

4 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, I think we're going to still aim to be in the top 5ish running attacks, and I think the addition of Taylor made that clear... that said, Reich clearly wants more balance this year.  If we have healthy WRs with Rivers at QB, we should be able to do that..

https://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/25496/frank-reich-makes-progress-on-makeover-of-colts-offense

“That hurt,” Reich said in February during the NFL combine. “I’ve always taken pride in having a dynamic passing game. Everywhere that we’ve been, I’m not saying we’ve been the best in the league, but the teams I’ve been on have been pretty dynamic for the most part. You can’t always have it all. We made some good strides in the running game. That’s a very important step for our team and where we’re going and how we get to the next level. I know we can do this other side of it. We just have to figure that out and get better there, and I think the end result will be a good thing.”

I think especially early on we'll be more run heavy.  It's probably going to take a couple games for everybody to get in sync.  We're talking about a QB that hasn't had any history with any of these receivers.  All of them are young  and unaccomplished except for TY and Jack Doyle.  But once it get's clicking it should be nice.  You got what should be a Dallas Cowboys type rushing attack with the vet QB who can certainly dice you up in the passing game when we have to go there. Especially on the deep ball. 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Myles said:

Seems silly to put 2 players who haven't played a down together yet on a list of the top 10 combos.  

beat me to it. I was thinking the exact same thing. We have no idea what chemistry these two or any new QB/WR combo will have coming into this season with all the limited virus stuff. TY was also banged up for most of last year and dating back to the end of 2018. I love TY but I think age and mileage may be starting to creep up on him. Hopefully he's healthy and him and Rivers ball out this year.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Myles said:

Seems silly to put 2 players who haven't played a down together yet on a list of the top 10 combos.  

Just now, csmopar said:

beat me to it. I was thinking the exact same thing. We have no idea what chemistry these two or any new QB/WR combo will have coming into this season with all the limited virus stuff. TY was also banged up for most of last year and dating back to the end of 2018. I love TY but I think age and mileage may be starting to creep up on him. Hopefully he's healthy and him and Rivers ball out this year.

I agree as well, but everyone is bored and some of the combos have been around for awhile. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I agree as well, but everyone is bored and some of the combos have been around for awhile. 

right, some have. But Rivers/TY is a complete unknown. There's theories based on past performances by two aging players playing together for the first time is my point.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, csmopar said:

right, some have. But Rivers/TY is a complete unknown. There's theories based on past performances by two aging players playing together for the first time is my point.

Yeah, it might take some time for them to gel. Rivers might be surprised with how quick TY is on the field. 

Not sure if that's really a fair assessment since this is based on who they are as players and not based on chemistry. Honesty, I'm not sure Rivers can even get Hilton the ball.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I think that would apply to any QB. You are throwing more only if you are down. If you have fewer attempts that means you are killing the clock by running.

I like Gil Brandt but the Cowboys could have a cardboard cutout at QB and he would have them in the top 5. That’s why all ex Cowboys should be banned from working with the NFL. 
They have Brady on the list and his situation is just as unknowable as Rivers.

Rivers suffered last year behind a bad OL.  The Chargers had one of the worst pass blocking efficiency ratings in the league (only Miami was worse than their 81.5 according to PFF) and they weren't smart enough to use more play action (they were quite low at 20%) in their passing game and their run game wasn't good.

With the Colts he will get a higher play action percentage (Brissett was at 30% last year), and the run game will be night and day.  All they have to do is stay balanced and I think we'll see a mini-renaissance with Rivers, who still has enough arm to throw the deep outs and 9 routes.

This is going to be a fun season.

• Like 1