Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let’s start the Eason vs Kelly battle

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Has anyone ever considered that, with Chad Kelly, Frank may just be doing a favor for long time friend Jim Kelly?  That Jim may have asked Frank to take Chad under his wing and help him get his head on straight for a couple of years.  It really is a win win, Kelly gets to be on a roster and learn the ins and outs of being a professional, the Colts get an emergency QB that could be electric for a few games.  Then after a couple of years, Kelly knows how to be a pro and can go to a team and earn his keep.

Just a theory.

I think that probably played a factor to start.   Now they feel that he is as good as a 4th string PS QB as they can get.  He's young and has showed some promise, so using that 4th string spot on him is a good idea.   He also has a running dimension to his game which adds to his practice squad value.  Depending if Rivers comes back next season, it wouldn't be surprising to see the top 3 QB's as Rivers, Eason and Kelly.  Of course, this depends on if they see starter capabilities in Eason.   

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/5/2020 at 6:45 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's like some people continue to think Chad Kelly is good but yet once again same result. I have nothing against Chad but apparently Reich and Ballard don't think he is good. JB isn't in that good category either as a starter but he is a great backup and solid leader.

And not a single team in the NFL chooses to add Chad Kelly to their roster after the Colts cut him. It reminds me of my boy, Nad, who's one of the smartest kids we've ever seen. Since Nad graduated from college, he's been applying to the top graduate schools in the country, but just hasn't been given a chance a yet. Even though Nad's a better student than the others these schools are accepting, he just got wait-listed again. But I'm sure he will be moving out of my house and back to school before long. He's only 26 and his talent is obvious.  

45 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Let's say that Rivers and Brissett get hurt in first game. I would bet that hey would promote CK and start him over Eason. What do you think?

If Rivers and Brissett get hurt in the 1st game it's tank time for Lawrence in next draft. 

Normally I am not a fan of tanking but Indy is used to getting their QB with the first pick. 

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

Let's say that Rivers and Brissett get hurt in first game. I would bet that hey would promote CK and start him over Eason. What do you think?

I think Eason would be the starter until a vet is signed and ready.  

46 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

I think it becasue right now the Colts believe that CK is better than Eason. 

I'm no kelly fanboy, but your scenario is what I predicted before cuts.... Protect eason's potential on the 53, and if you need a QB, bring up the guy with experience in your system... 

Not far fetched at all

9 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

I think it becasue right now the Colts believe that CK is better than Eason. 

I can understand that and the new rules with the practice squad seem to make it easier to put someone there and call them up.  But anyone that has played football at any level knows that the depth chart is not a feel good system, it is to determine where people stand in regards to others at the same position.  After training camp the Colts decided that Eason is a better QB than CK.  If both Rivers and JB get injured I don't think that will change unless and until Eason goes out and looks totally lost and in over his head.

22 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It's possible... it's also possible Eason is more ready to execute the system right now.

Sure... anything is possible until we see what exactly Riech and Ballard are thinking when the real decision comes, but what do you think? 

I actually think @JMichael557 is not that far off-base in his sentiment. But then again... I've been one of the people here who's been pumping the brakes on the Chad Kelly train for a while now and I do think he has very real limitations so I wouldn't be surprised if we started Eason over him either. 

To me it's more about whether Eason is doing well with his mental preparation and his ability to run the offense, make the required checks at LoS and just... get the team organized on offense overall. If he's able to do that, IMO he definitely has better talent than Chad Kelly once the ball is snapped. My worry has more to do with the limited practice and live action he's seen in the weird off-season, to prepare for such situation than actual question of talent. 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Sure... anything is possible until we see what exactly Riech and Ballard are thinking when the real decision comes, but what do you think? 

I actually think @JMichael557 is not that far off-base in his sentiment. But then again... I've been one of the people here who's been pumping the brakes on the Chad Kelly train for a while now and I do think he has very real limitations so I wouldn't be surprised if we started Eason over him either. 

To me it's more about whether Eason is doing well with his mental preparation and his ability to run the offense, make the required checks at LoS and just... get the team organized on offense overall. If he's able to do that, IMO he definitely has better talent than Chad Kelly once the ball is snapped. My worry has more to do with the limited practice and live action he's seen in the weird off-season, to prepare for such situation than actual question of talent. 

I agree, we don't know which was the reason for the original question.  But the fact is Eason made the 53 man roster and CK did not.  When no other team made a claim for CK the Colts signed him to the practice squad.  Now some claim Eason would get picked up if released and that maybe true.  But I think it has more to do with Eason outplayed CK in training camp.

On 9/9/2020 at 12:13 AM, blackcoffeeguy said:

I was thrilled when Kelly was waived, thinking now he is a FA and can shop himself around to other teams that actually will want him, after their starter gets hurt, but no he resigned with the practice squad, ugh. A b ad move by Kelly imo, he will never be given a legitimate chance with the colts.

He keeps coming back because no other team wants him.  If they did he would sign with them.

If Kelly keeps getting signed to the PS, the Colts clearly want him. 

You guys act like he holds no value, but Ballard doesn't just keep resigning PS players he doesn't want. 

We haven't seen what he can really do. His image in the NFL is immature party guy who is on his last team. This is why no one else wants him. He has burned every bridge he has had. Every chance squandered. He doesn't have a choice but to sign back to our practice squad. This is his last chance in the NFL. 

I think Eason is a chance at a franchise QB. From what I could tell, everyone in the media clamored after Eason practiced. Talking about his accuracy, and arm strength. This is what the Colts are hoping for, and only had to spend a 4th round pick... he has all physical attributes. 

Signing Rivers was a duality move. He makes the Colts better. And shows Eason how to prepare for NFL games. 

Chad Kelly will be Jacob Easons back up by 2022. Unless Jacob just can't handle things on a mental level. 

Ballard already has a plan... 

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

If Kelly keeps getting signed to the PS, the Colts clearly want him. 

You guys act like he holds no value, but Ballard doesn't just keep resigning PS players he doesn't want. 

We haven't seen what he can really do. His image in the NFL is immature party guy who is on his last team. This is why no one else wants him. He has burned every bridge he has had. Every chance squandered. He doesn't have a choice but to sign back to our practice squad. This is his last chance in the NFL. 

I think Eason is a chance at a franchise QB. From what I could tell, everyone in the media clamored after Eason practiced. Talking about his accuracy, and arm strength. This is what the Colts are hoping for, and only had to spend a 4th round pick... he has all physical attributes. 

Signing Rivers was a duality move. He makes the Colts better. And shows Eason how to prepare for NFL games. 

Chad Kelly will be Jacob Easons back up by 2022. Unless Jacob just can't handle things on a mental level. 

Ballard already has a plan... 

There is a difference in signing a guy to the practice squad to develop and saying I was glad he got cut because other teams would be tripping over themselves to sign him because he’s so great.  

I think the vast majority of fans fall into the first category and think that’s what he is and have no problem with it.  They draw the line that’s he’s the second coming of Peyton Manning and that the Colts and others are just too dumb to see that.  

I think as fans we sometimes forget the business side of the NFL exists.  That's the side that attaches value to a recent pick based on the level of your investment, and it's why you see guys who go higher in the draft get more chances and more looks than the guys who go later or are UDFAs.  This applies to the QBs as well so there was never really a battle between those two QBs...  One was a significant investment, and the other is a talented kid who made some mistakes that they knew they would survive a cut and the waiver wire so they could stash him on the PS.

My take on Kelly is he's a young guy who probably let the family name go to his head.  So the fact that he's managed to be a PS player at this level is no small feat and I'm sure if he keeps working and improving he'll get a shot at some point.  There's always a need around the league for QBs and even the guys who end up being career backups do pretty dang well.  Kelly has a Head Coach who undoubtedly can tell him all about that.  

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

There is a difference in signing a guy to the practice squad to develop and saying I was glad he got cut because other teams would be tripping over themselves to sign him because he’s so great.  

I think the vast majority of fans fall into the first category and think that’s what he is and have no problem with it.  They draw the line that’s he’s the second coming of Peyton Manning and that the Colts and others are just too dumb to see that.  

You are exaggerating how pro kelly fans see him. 

Wanting to see what he can do, is very far cry from the second coming. 

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

You are exaggerating how pro kelly fans see him. 

Wanting to see what he can do, is very far cry from the second coming. 

Not really there have been several people who have said he’s the second best or or best QB on the roster (dating back to last year) and if the Colts just gave him a chance he’d show how great he is.  The reality is that the Colts are hoping they can develop him into a backup QB.  Not the starter several people think he is.

Another thought.  Chad adds another dimension to practice squad with his versatility.  He can challenge the defense to play against a fast mobile quarterback or a deep throwing quarterback, (not the best but, not the worst).  He has both of those skills.  Currently, we are in GREAT shape with PR and a highest paid backup with game experience, JB.  Add a project like Eason to the roster in the third slot, to see what he is made of, may be great, may be mush (he will not be the franchise player for this team - look at his college QB ratings).  He does have the raw talents to possibly become a good quarterback.  But, live action and the speed of the NFL will be the true defining moment for Eason.   Overall, It takes a broad minded effort to make sure this team is using all of the talent (many, many pieces- big and small - inside the game and around the game) to build for the future and succeed today. 

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not really there have been several people who have said he’s the second best or or best QB on the roster (dating back to last year) and if the Colts just gave him a chance he’d show how great he is.  The reality is that the Colts are hoping they can develop him into a backup QB.  Not the starter several people think he is.

False. 

When JB struggled it wasn't a giant leap to say CK was better. Just because a percentage of you on the forums got tired of hearing about it, doesn't make people think CK is an elite QB. Not one person said so. 

Also, if you haven't noticed, the only people who wont let go of this CK thing now, are the anti CK group... everyone has shut up about it ever since Eason was drafted, but again, a fan who got tired of hearing about it, went and dug up the old kelly thread to mock fans "wanting to see what he could do"... 

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

False. 

When JB struggled it wasn't a giant leap to say CK was better. Just because a percentage of you on the forums got tired of hearing about it, doesn't make people think CK is an elite QB. Not one person said so. 

Also, if you haven't noticed, the only people who wont let go of this CK thing now, are the anti CK group... everyone has shut up about it ever since Eason was drafted, but again, a fan who got tired of hearing about it, went and dug up the old kelly thread to mock fans "wanting to see what he could do"... 

Yes it was.  I don’t think Kelly would have done any better thank JB did last year in fact I think he would have done worse.  

also more than once this pre-season, including in the cuts tracker people proclaimed Kelly was the second best QB on the roster.  Also please go back and look at the OJsglove post I responded too, you’ll see what you are saying isn’t correct.

also the fact the Colts wouldn’t play Kelly last year, signed rivers, drafted another QB and cut Kelly yet again suggests they are hoping he can be turned into a backup at best.  They wouldn’t have done all that if they thought he could be a starter.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes it was.  I don’t think Kelly would have done any better thank JB did last year in fact I think he would have done worse.  

also more than once this pre-season, including in the cuts tracker people proclaimed Kelly was the second best QB on the roster.  Also please go back and look at the OJsglove post I responded too, you’ll see what you are saying isn’t correct.

Ok, im willing go admit there are some crazy people here. 

Still no posts about the next peyton. 

I have read more posts from sane members proclaiming all they want to do is see what the kids got. Very reasonable considering our ending record. 

27 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Ok, im willing go admit there are some crazy people here. 

Still no posts about the next peyton. 

I have read more posts from sane members proclaiming all they want to do is see what the kids got. Very reasonable considering our ending record. 

Not sure you'll be getting what you want. Ballard at this moment is holding on to him strictly for practice squad purposes and the reason is his familiarity with the offense, which is good for the starting defense. 

48 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Not sure you'll be getting what you want. Ballard at this moment is holding on to him strictly for practice squad purposes and the reason is his familiarity with the offense, which is good for the starting defense. 

I think Kelly can only hope for backup. I have hopes that Eason is as good as they act like. 

Archived