Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let’s start the Eason vs Kelly battle

7 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I just dont understand the concept behind keeping Jacoby and his $20 MIL on this roster when you have a qb in Rivers that don't miss a snap??  Add in he's playing behind the #1-3 OL, it doesn't make sense to carry such an expensive backup??  I get it that Jacob Eason is 1-2 yrs away from NFL ready but you have a less expensive option in Chad Kelley just in case.  Either way, I'm not going to get all worked up over the backup option when Rivers can light it up for at least 2 more yrs!!!

You don't understand the concept of Ballard wanting an experienced QB to back up Rivers?  It's not a seriously confusing thing to grasp. :dunno:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I just dont understand the concept behind keeping Jacoby and his $20 MIL on this roster when you have a qb in Rivers that don't miss a snap??  Add in he's playing behind the #1-3 OL, it doesn't make sense to carry such an expensive backup??  I get it that Jacob Eason is 1-2 yrs away from NFL ready but you have a less expensive option in Chad Kelley just in case.  Either way, I'm not going to get all worked up over the backup option when Rivers can light it up for at least 2 more yrs!!!

It’s the NFL injuries happen, don’t forget Jacoby got hurt behind this same line last year.  So while having a good line lowers your risk for injury it doesn’t completely negate it.  

The Colts aren’t hurting for money this year.  They had more than enough money to spend on guys they wanted so his contract isn’t a big deal to him this year and it’s the last year of that deal.  

Also, they want the best backup they can have if the starter gets hurt and they think Jacoby is better than Kelly.  I know that’s hard for some to understand (and I don’t mean that as an insult I am not a big Jacoby fan myself).  I am just listening to everything the team says.  It’s pretty clear they haven’t given up on Jacoby even if the fans have.  

It’s becoming clear that the Colts don’t think Kelly is anywhere close to as good as some fans want him to be.  If they did they would give him a shot.  The fact that they haven’t at every chance should tell people something.  

32 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

We're not hurting for cap space.  There aren't many good FAs left to sign anyway (maybe Clowney or some sort of OL who winds up getting cut)... but Jacoby's gone after this year anyway, so next year he doesn't impact our cap at all.

I could see us potentially trading Brissett, but we really don't gain anything by cutting him.  We don't really know what we have in Eason or Kelly (we've seen him play preseason snaps and mostly sit on the practice squad).  We know we can at least be competitive with Brissett should Rivers go down.

Plus, Brissett is a veteran QB who has been in this system for several years and from all accounts seems like a consummate professional.  That, coupled with the fact that Rivers doesn't want to be responsible for 'grooming'  a rookie QB (which I get, I think Eason can learn from him by watching him prepare and asking questions, etc.), leads me to believe that Eason could probably benefit from following Brissett around on the sideline during gameday and learning more.

It seems like JB wont be here after this year. Unless JB wants to remain a backup for the foreseeable future, he will sign somewhere else. Granted for all we know, he wont get a starter offer anywhere else. Afterall Cam is still a FA and hes actually starting material. 

I just cant seem to understand what the thought process is behind keeping JB unless they KNOW hes only a back up and will unlikely get an offer to start anywhere else...? 

Otherwise why keep him this year over CK? I guess my question is if JB is unlikely to stay here after this year why the hell would you cut kelly just so we need a back up in 2021 and have to do a search? 

The Colts QB position is still a major question mark right now. 

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

We're not hurting for cap space.  There aren't many good FAs left to sign anyway (maybe Clowney or some sort of OL who winds up getting cut)... but Jacoby's gone after this year anyway, so next year he doesn't impact our cap at all.

I could see us potentially trading Brissett, but we really don't gain anything by cutting him.  We don't really know what we have in Eason or Kelly (we've seen him play preseason snaps and mostly sit on the practice squad).  We know we can at least be competitive with Brissett should Rivers go down.

Plus, Brissett is a veteran QB who has been in this system for several years and from all accounts seems like a consummate professional.  That, coupled with the fact that Rivers doesn't want to be responsible for 'grooming'  a rookie QB (which I get, I think Eason can learn from him by watching him prepare and asking questions, etc.), leads me to believe that Eason could probably benefit from following Brissett around on the sideline during gameday and learning more.

Having Brissett mentor Eason is probably the best idea I’ve heard why he is still on the roster.  Good job thinking outside the box.  

3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The Colts QB position is still a major question mark right now. 

Absolutely........

We just took a QB in the middle of the 4th round

He has a cannon for an arm, has a good release, he hits all the measurables.......

With all of this, why did he last this long?

There is a big hope that he can be the franchise QB for the next 12-15 years

The reality is, less then 50% of the QBs taken in round ONE end up being playoff team leaders.......

I am VERY hopeful, and think this kid can put it all together...but the odds say that we may be searching again for a QB.

It’s not locked down past this year

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I assume on option 3, when you say Eason is cut,  you mean with the intention of making it to the Practice Squad.   Is that correct?

I think the only way that option 3 happens is Eason comes in and shows a poor locker room approach, and doesn’t work hard.

I doubt this option happens.

I think he wouldn’t last on the PS

5 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

So lets just put all our eggs in the Hoyer basket and lose two critical games that proved he is nothing more than a complete %head??  At least you would've known what you have and couldn't get any worse record wise??  We lost to the lowly Dolphins at our OWN stadium so how worse could've it have gotten??

First of all, nobody put ALL their eggs in the Hoyer basket. He was clearly a stop gap on a 1 year deal. How much worse could it have been you ask? Ok. I'll take a swing. How about this, Brissett gets injured Kelly gets arrested and suddenly Frank Riech is the starting QB. Hoyer is not a %head btw, he has had, and continues to have a decent career as a backup QB. Kelly on the other hand is a talented troublemaker, who at the time of the Hoyer signing had only been with the team a couple of months. With his track record, it would be incredibly foolish to trust him with anything more than the scout team, until he builds some trust within the organization.

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s the NFL injuries happen, don’t forget Jacoby got hurt behind this same line last year.  So while having a good line lowers your risk for injury it doesn’t completely negate it.  

The Colts aren’t hurting for money this year.  They had more than enough money to spend on guys they wanted so his contract isn’t a big deal to him this year and it’s the last year of that deal.  

Also, they want the best backup they can have if the starter gets hurt and they think Jacoby is better than Kelly.  I know that’s hard for some to understand (and I don’t mean that as an insult I am not a big Jacoby fan myself).  I am just listening to everything the team says.  It’s pretty clear they haven’t given up on Jacoby even if the fans have.  

It’s becoming clear that the Colts don’t think Kelly is anywhere close to as good as some fans want him to be.  If they did they would give him a shot.  The fact that they haven’t at every chance should tell people something.  

I would agree and the fact that they didn’t play him at the end of the season is still a “head scratcher” to me but but the same token, the fact remains that they did sign him to the 53 man roster and included him in the competition for a roster spot this year.

Option 4 would be ideal for me, especially if they can get something back for JB.

16 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You don’t have a sense of humor do you. It was supposed to be a light hearted funny post poking fun at the Kelly fans. 

Wait a minute though, weren't you saying before the draft that since the Colts have Kelly it wouldn't make any sense to draft a QB after Round 2?

I posted this in another thread and regardless of whatever "fun" this thread is suppose to incite, and regardless of whether or not you like my metaphors, this is the "Current" problem below

I think this organization and fanbase is at an internal crossroads and I think it really isn't any real fault of their own at the foundational issue that has caused this. Not bashing Luck, but being completely honest, Luck set this team into a cracked foundation, a crack we have not yet been able to seal properly. Where I do believe that this organization has, for the most part, built upon that foundation that was damaged or not laid correctly by Grigson, the missing piece is the piece that stabilizes the base and that is the QB. We ALL know this. I think the reason they have been so adamant about JB all along is that JB possess a lot of characteristics that normally, a sound structural part of a foundation would hold and through the first half of last season it seemed, even though not completely solidifying that quickly, that the crack might have a chance to eventually be sealed once it completely dried. Unfortunately though, that sealant(JB) never completely solidified and remains wet to the touch as we speak and began to seep out the sides of the crack, and that has bewildered everyone to as why? Why didn't JB completely solidify into that crack? Rivers, Kelly, and Eason are all band-aids at this point, with Rivers being the largest band-aid in the box. Rivers cannot be the sealant this team is looking for long term only because his cannister is pretty close to being empty. Whether it be Kelly or Eason, JB, or someone else, this team will never be completely rock solid at it's foundation until the void of a QB is sealed properly. IMO, this organization needs to completely scrape out and remove JB from this foundation to allow either Kelly or Eason the opportunity to completely solidify and fill that void, and if the organization still wants that to be JB then fine, but every ounce of his substance needs to be completely removed from that crack, allowing Kelly, Eason, and JB an equal shot to see who can solidify completely the quickest without any head starts or partially filled cracks. Filling a void partly with one substance that only slightly solidifies and then starts to either seep or break apart(JB), then slapping a patch over that area to stop the seeping while hoping it solidifies underneath(Rivers), and if that doesn't work entirely, entertaining the idea of using another substance to add to the part of the original substance that solidified partially in hoping each will bond together to fill the void, just won't work. Any builder will tell you that in order to get proper adhesion you must have one substance and one substance alone that will completely solidify and if the substance doesn't solidify on the first take, you clean out the area entirely and fill it again, you don't add to it and hope two substances gel together. IMHO, this organization needs to completely remove JB entirely from the foundation, however if they believe that JB can still completely solidify and just needs a little more time to dry under the patch of Rivers, we won't have that QB void completely solidified anytime soon.

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is kind of funny. Eason was a freshman though and Kelly had more experience.

From this scoreboard, it’s clear that Eason is the 4th quarter king!! That Kelly Kid couldn’t even get them 3 points in the 4th. Choker!! (Sarcasm off) 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Kelly will be headed to the PS.  Not a good time to be a 3rd or 4th string NFL QB.   I've never seen the league with such a surplus of starter quality/backup quality QB's.

Actually..... Kelly MIGHT survive another year on PS.....

We have no QB under contract for 2021....

IF Eason does very well, and Rivers hangs it up after this year,  having Eason as starter and CK as back up could be a possibility

Forum Frustrations

1) People that HAVE to be right (we all do this a bit)

2) People with no sense of humor

3) People that 100% Know the future

4) People that consider their opinion as LIFE or DEATH situation

5) People that have to crush another person or opinion (We ALL root for the same team... which means our IQ is 10-20% higher than the average person :) )

Did I miss anything?

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Forum Frustrations

5) People that have to crush another person or opinion 

Did I miss anything?

Good post but why did you misspell real life as forum? 

47 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Forum Frustrations

5) People that have to crush another person or opinion (We ALL root for the same team... which means our IQ is 10-20% higher than the average person :) )

Did I miss anything?

Great list. Can I add one?

6) Posts and/or paragraphs, that take up my entire mobile screen. 

For the love of god have a little respect for my attention span.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

IF Eason does very well, and Rivers hangs it up after this year,  having Eason as starter and CK as back up could be a possibility

Technically CK is not under contract for 2021 either

Eason would be under contract for 2021.  

I could see this scenario playing out as I don’t think Kelly is that sought after of a player around the NFL.  If the Colts are patient they might be able to develop him into a back up QB next year which is what I think they are trying to do.

We'll have Eason under contract for 2021 and beyond barring any sort of Josh McDaniels business. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Eason would be under contract for 2021.  

I could see this scenario playing out as I don’t think Kelly is that sought after of a player around the NFL.  If the Colts are patient they might be able to develop him into a back up QB next year which is what I think they are trying to do.

I don’t think Rivers is a one and done so CK would have to resign to be at best a 3rd Stringer with little PS eligibility 

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I would agree and the fact that they didn’t play him at the end of the season is still a “head scratcher” to me but but the same token, the fact remains that they did sign him to the 53 man roster and included him in the competition for a roster spot this year.

Option 4 would be ideal for me, especially if they can get something back for JB.

It would have been great to see Kelly gets some reps in that final game. I too was surprised they didn't take the opportunity to evaluate him a bit going into the offseason.

2 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

It would have been great to see Kelly gets some reps in that final game. I too was surprised they didn't take the opportunity to evaluate him a bit going into the offseason.

They did it is called practice     
   Coaches do it 24/7/365

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I don’t think Rivers is a one and done so CK would have to resign to be at best a 3rd Stringer with little PS eligibility 

Rivers play will be a factor too.  We are all assuming he won’t play like he did last year.  If he does.  The Colts could elect to move on from him.  I hope that doesn’t happen but there is a reason Ballard only gave him a one year contract and part of that is to give them an out if he doesn’t play well.  

I don’t think re-signing Kelly will be an issue if that’s what the Colts want to do.  I don’t see them doing it though unless they are moving on from Rivers and Jacoby and going with Eason as the starter with Kelly as the backup.  

That’s a long way off though.  A lot can and will change in a year.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Rivers play will be a factor too.  We are all assuming he won’t play like he did last year.  If he does.  The Colts could elect to move on from him.  I hope that doesn’t happen but there is a reason Ballard only gave him a one year contract and part of that is to give them an out if he doesn’t play well.  

I don’t think re-signing Kelly will be an issue if that’s what the Colts want to do.  I don’t see them doing it though unless they are moving on from Rivers and Jacoby and going with Eason as the starter with Kelly as the backup.  

That’s a long way off though.  A lot can and will change in a year.  

Even if PR doesn’t come back I am not JE will be ready to and could see the brain trust Could bring in another veteran bridge or even resign JB to be the bridge to Eason

I agree that it will be easy for the Colts to resign CK but not sure he will be willing to resign

I trust in Reich, Sirriani, and Brady

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Even if PR doesn’t come back I am not JE will be ready to and could see the brain trust Could bring in another veteran bridge or even resign JB to be the bridge to Eason

I agree that it will be easy for the Colts to resign CK but not sure he will be willing to resign

I trust in Reich, Sirriani, and Brady

I could see that too.

i think Kelly might very well be looking at re-sign with the Colts or be out of the NFL if the Colts want to bring him back.  If he’s facing that and the Colts offer him a contract he’s going to take it if he wants to play in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I could see that too.

i think Kelly might very well be looking at re-sign with the Colts or be out of the NFL if the Colts want to bring him back.  If he’s facing that and the Colts offer him a contract he’s going to take it if he wants to play in the NFL.

Agreed but barring injury or a complete washout by JE I do not see CK get passing 4 this and without everything falling a certain way not pass 3 next year

The Colts might even decide to draft a QB next year or take a flyer on a CFL or street FA QB 

24 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Agreed but barring injury or a complete washout by JE I do not see CK get passing 4 this and without everything falling a certain way not pass 3 next year

The Colts might even decide to draft a QB next year or take a flyer on a CFL or street FA QB 

I don’t see him getting past four this year either.

4 hours ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

First of all, nobody put ALL their eggs in the Hoyer basket. He was clearly a stop gap on a 1 year deal. How much worse could it have been you ask? Ok. I'll take a swing. How about this, Brissett gets injured Kelly gets arrested and suddenly Frank Riech is the starting QB. Hoyer is not a %head btw, he has had, and continues to have a decent career as a backup QB. Kelly on the other hand is a talented troublemaker, who at the time of the Hoyer signing had only been with the team a couple of months. With his track record, it would be incredibly foolish to trust him with anything more than the scout team, until he builds some trust within the organization.

Hoyer wasn't clearly a one-year deal stop gap...Ballard gave him a 3-year deal with $9M gtd and are eating $3M in dead cap space this year. Either he was meant to be here at least two years or Mike Bleum was out sick that day.

They thought they had settled the QB position for the next two years at least...with JB and Hoyer. But it was a miscalculation on both QBs...which is why the Colts now have $50M in cap space allocated to the QB position.

In this cornaaaaaa........Jacob...The Howitzer  EEEEEeeeeeeaaasonnnnnnnnnn.  (Crowd goes wild)

And in this cornaaaa.....Chad....The Outlaw....Keeeeelllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy.     (Crowd goes wild)

Ok. Lets start with where they were drafted. Jacob was taken in the fourth round and Chad was Mr. Irrelevant. OOooooooo, that was a nice jab. One point for Jacob.

How about their civil record. Jacob looks pretty clean....look out..... Ouch! Chad has been arrested for Criminal trespass, and agreed to community service for fighting with bouncers at a nightclub! That one hurt....two points for Jacob. 

Wait....look out, Chad has been in the league for 3 years....and has 1 kneel down in his career. Jacob has not even had a chance to develop yet. Owww, that was a nasty uppercut.....chad is wobbling.....wobbling....he's down! One....two....three.....and the hand goes up to stop the fight. This match is over.....Jacob is the clear winnnnaaaaa!

26 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Hoyer wasn't clearly a one-year deal stop gap...Ballard gave him a 3-year deal with $9M gtd and are eating $3M in dead cap space this year. Either he was meant to be here at least two years or Mike Bleum was out sick that day.

They thought they had settled the QB position for the next two years at least...with JB and Hoyer. But it was a miscalculation on both QBs...which is why the Colts now have $50M in cap space allocated to the QB position.

Ah, I was under the impression that Hoyer was a 1 year deal. You're right though Colts do have a lot of money tied up in QB's this year. But I doubt anyone though the QB position was in any way settled last season.

Archived