Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Current roster grades (following format of previous CFN and PFF) - 2020 version

rock8591

I did this back in 2014-2019. My next post in this thread will contain much of my thoughts about this year to avoid one overly long post.

Always liked CFN (formerly wwwDOTCollegeFootballNewsDOTcom) and also PFF depth charts previews of each team, from year to year. Detailed, but also not too lengthy to read for the average fan.

e.g.

https://forums.colts.com/topic/58052-if-the-colts-had-a-cfn-scout-preview-2018-version/

http://forums.colts.com/topic/52213-if-the-colts-had-a-cfn-scout-preview-2017-version

http://forums.colts.com/topic/46131-if-nfl-teams-and-the-colts-had-a-cfn-scout-preview-2016-version/

http://forums.colts.com/topic/37422-if-nfl-teams-and-the-colts-had-a-cfn-scout-preview-2015-version/

http://forums.colts.com/topic/31002-if-nfl-teams-and-the-colts-had-a-cfn-scout-preview/

The following chart is NOT set in stone; there will be exceptions for players on the roster bubble. Certain players may play DE in sub-packages, while playing LB in base 4-3 packages. Of course, there are specialty packages; e.g. goal line, 4th and 1, 5 wide, Nickel, Dime. Lastly, players will be injured at some point in the season, leading to replacements being called up.

You get the idea; it will not be accounting for each and every hypothetical but is a general guide.

My apologies in advance for the poor quality of the colors; I'm doing it from a backup PC at this time.

Offense grades:

Offense.jpg

Defense grades:

Defense.jpg

Star of the offense: Quenton Nelson

Player that needs to step up and become a star: Michael Pittman Jr.

Unsung star on the rise: Braden Smith

3 pro bowl candidates: Nelson, Ryan Kelly, and Braden Smith

Strengths: OL, RB/FB

Weaknesses: WR2, TE2, LT depth

Star of the defense: Darius Leonard

Player that needs to step up and become a star: Kemoko Turay and Ben Banogu

Unsung star on the rise: Bobby Okereke

3 pro bowl candidates: Leonard, DeForest Buckner, Justin Houston

Strengths: LBs, Overall depth

Weaknesses: CB2

10 best players:

1. Quenton Nelson (G)

2. Darius Leonard (OLB)

3. DeForest Buckner (DT)

4. Ryan Kelly (C)

5. Anthony Castonzo (OT)

6. Braden Smith (OT)

7. Justin Houston (DE)

8. Philip Rivers (QB)

9. Marlon Mack (RB)

10. Kenny Moore (S)

CB in general is promising but lots of unknowns.

- Rock had an average (average meaning average, not mediocre or sucky) rookie season, shows promise but the season has not started.

- Xavier Rhodes will be 30 this year, not the player he used to be.

- They have some good depth pieces behind them e.g. Tell, Carrie, Rodgers at NB but there is no lockdown corner amongst the group.

Jordan Wilkins I would say is a great backup, maybe average-slightly below average starter. Good change of pace back. If he was the starter, I can see him getting 900-1000 yards rushing a season but am not ready to depend on him as a starter yet. Without inflating player values, that's why I put him at Below-Average starter.

2 hours ago, rock8591 said:

- Rock had an average (average meaning average, not mediocre or sucky) rookie season, shows promise but the season has not started.

- They have some good depth pieces behind them e.g. Tell, Carrie, Rodgers at NB but there is no lockdown corner amongst the group.

Jordan Wilkins I would say is a great backup, maybe average-slightly below average starter. Good change of pace back. If he was the starter, I can see him getting 900-1000 yards rushing a season but am not ready to depend on him as a starter yet. Without inflating player values, that's why I put him at Below-Average starter.

I can not agree that Rock had an average year. Not at his position as a rookie. His position is one of the hardest positions in the NFL to learn. I think he will be one of the best at his positions in a couple of years. 

Rhodes IMO will not reach what he once was but I don't think he will be expected to be that pro bowl player in this defensive scheme. I truly believe he was brought in for his veteran leadership. 

5 hours ago, rock8591 said:

on Rock, from Colts.com who reported the blurb from PFF

Per PFF: "Looking at the season from start to finish, Ya-Sin hasn't had a smooth ride to a spot on the All-Rookie Team. A 55.0 coverage grade through the first nine weeks of the season set him back, but we saw improvement from the Temple product as the campaign wore on. From Week 10 through the end of the season, Ya-Sin picked up a 76.1 coverage grade while allowing just a 67.7 passer rating into his coverage. That's the kind of performance the Colts expected when drafting him in the second round, and it's what they'll look for next season."

So 55 first half vs 76 in the 2nd half in PFF grades. That's a huge jump. And 76 is well above average as is the 67.7 passer rating allowed.

DJ Hayden for comparison, who was ranked the 10th best CB by PFF, graded out at 76 for the entire year. So one could say that Rock was playing top 10ish CB by the end of the year.

I think Leonard should be elite.  I also think Rhodes, back with two of his former coaches when he was All-Pro, is going to improve.  I'm not sure at his age he will be special, but I think he will be better than what he was last year.  The Colts must think so too.

Archived