Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chances of NFL playing in 2020 seem to be pretty decent

EastStreet

The latest on the 2020 season

"We plan to start on time," McCarthy said.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported in mid-April that the league planned to release its schedule, based on a full season, by May 9. NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent told The Associated Press this week that the league is doing "reasonable and responsible planning" regarding health and safety during the coronavirus pandemic.

The league has evaluated contingency plans should the pandemic intensify, working in conjunction with the NFL Players Association and medical experts on a set of protocols.

One of those contingencies is delaying the season until mid-October, according to the Sports Business Journal. Empty stadiums and no bye weeks have long been discussed.

One option not on the table, a source told ESPN, is gathering players at a centralized location to execute a season. The NBA and Major League Baseball have discussed playing at a neutral site such as Walt Disney World, Las Vegas or Arizona, but the NFL doesn't plan to do that.

The NFL schedule is not expected to include an influx of Saturday games, despite uncertainty about whether college football can start its season on time.

The league is evaluating when players can reenter team facilities. The NFL and NFLPA have agreed to keep buildings closed until every state in which a team resides lifts its stay-at-home mandate. Teams are prepared to conduct offseason workouts and June minicamps virtually.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will not accept a salary during the pandemic. The league raised more than $100 million for coronavirus relief during the NFL draft.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29126378/nfl-set-release-full-17-week-schedule-next-week-league-spokesman-says

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really understand how they could have the huge crowds without massively accelerating the spread.

Let alone the complications if a team actually has an outbreak within the squad. 

I may be being a bit negative but I just can't see team sports being played to full houses any time soon. 

4 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I don't really understand how they could have the huge crowds without massively accelerating the spread.

Let alone the complications if a team actually has an outbreak within the squad. 

I may be being a bit negative but I just can't see team sports being played to full houses any time soon. 

I think they will play to empty stadiums unless/until an approved treatment is successful. So far remdesivir sounds promising, among others. Ticket related revenue is 1/3 of revenue, but 2/3s of revenue is better than zero revenue...

Players should be bubble wrapping themselves, and teams will likely be testing every week.

Just now, EastStreet said:

I think they will play to empty stadiums unless/until an approved treatment is successful. So far remdesivir sounds promising, among others. Ticket related revenue is 1/3 of revenue, but 2/3s of revenue is better than zero revenue...

Players should be bubble wrapping themselves, and teams will likely be testing every week.

The drugs they're talking about are promising but very early stage. Long way to go.

Even if player bubble wrap themselves it doesn't really mean anything. They're still going outside, working in close proximity with their own team mates and others.

I know they can get tested regularly but if one of them tests positive on a Sunday do they call off the game because it's likely the other players have been exposed. What happens to the next weeks games? If they test positive on a Monday have they spread it to the other team who have now travelled back?

So much necessary contact in sport that there's so many questions. And any outbreak causes chaos in the calendar.

Just now, ClaytonColt said:

The drugs they're talking about are promising but very early stage. Long way to go.

"Long way to go" is relative.. They just approved remdesivir for emergency use (EUA). We're moving very fast on the drug side of things. Faster than we've ever moved.

Just now, ClaytonColt said:

Even if player bubble wrap themselves it doesn't really mean anything. They're still going outside, working in close proximity with their own team mates and others.

I know they can get tested regularly but if one of them tests positive on a Sunday do they call off the game because it's likely the other players have been exposed. What happens to the next weeks games? If they test positive on a Monday have they spread it to the other team who have now travelled back?

Test players in their cars on arrival with rapid tests on game day. The ones that are negative, play. The ones that are positive go get treated/quarantined.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

"Long way to go" is relative.. They just approved remdesivir for emergency use (EUA). We're moving very fast on the drug side of things. Faster than we've ever moved.

Test players in their cars on arrival with rapid tests on game day. The ones that are negative, play. The ones that are positive go get treated/quarantined.

I'm in the UK and they're definitely pumping the breaks on remdesivir a little bit. One study showed slight improvement. Long, long way to go like I said.

That's fine on game day but what if 8 players test positive? Play 53 against 45?

What happens in trainings unless they're tested every single morning? 

1 minute ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm in the UK and they're definitely pumping the breaks on remdesivir a little bit. One study showed slight improvement. Long, long way to go like I said.

That's fine on game day but what if 8 players test positive? Play 53 against 45?

What happens in trainings unless they're tested every single morning? 

Saw reports today that mortality rate (once on a ventilator) improved from 70% to under 20% with remdesivir. 

39 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

The season starts over 4 months from now, not tomorrow.

I feel bad for the undrafted free agents and the late round picks. They will have less time to prove themselves. Teams might opt to keep a player on the team already then a UDF because they already know the system.

The govs that have already opened states have sports back in the stadiums I believe by phase 3. So about six weeks.  But since the nfl said nobody in the facilities until all teams can we are going to be waiting on CA, NY, MI. They hold all the cards. 

I could easily see them playing with empty or lesser filled stadiums.  I am not sure if it’s a good idea to play in a full stadium until you have vaccine or very good treatment that extremely reduces the spread.  

I will say if one player gets it in the season they will probably have to shut down baring having what I said above.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I could easily see them playing with empty or lesser filled stadiums.  I am not sure if it’s a good idea to play in a full stadium until you have vaccine or very good treatment that extremely reduces the spread.  

I will say if one player gets it in the season they will probably have to shut down baring having what I said above.

I think that is the big issue. What if one player gets it. What happens. Hopefully by the time the season starts they will have some ways to prevent anything like this from happening. Maybe they make each player take their temp before entering the facility.  Maybe by then each team can get a rapid test machine where random tests are done frequently. Or maybe by then we have effective treatments where it won’t matter if a player gets it and we will deal with it like the flu.  Contact tracing will also allow us to notify people quicker when they have been exposed by someone which will isolate them quicker.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think that is the big issue. What if one player gets it. What happens. Hopefully by the time the season starts they will have some ways to prevent anything like this from happening. Maybe they make each player take their temp before entering the facility.  Maybe by then each team can get a rapid test machine where random tests are done frequently. Or maybe by then we have effective treatments where it won’t matter if a player gets it and we will deal with it like the flu.  Contact tracing will also allow us to notify people quicker when they have been exposed by someone which will isolate them quicker.

The problem with temps is that you can have the virus before or without developing a temp.  So it’s not full proof but I do agree it’s better than nothing.  I think there is going to have be a combination of testing measures but even then it could still get in.  If it does they really don’t have a choice but shut down for at least two weeks but probably a month at least.  

The testing is getting better though so I think it’s something you can and will try by the fall.  

I just don’t think it will be full proof enough to let all fans back in but I could see them doing something like handing out masks and maybe gloves and maybe letting in 25% of fans (just making up a number) and spreading them out using social distancing.  

30 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

The season starts over 4 months from now, not tomorrow.

I think we're putting a lot of faith in this being over quickly.

There are 7 coronavirus in the same family as covid-19. Four cause the common cold, plus MERS and SARS. We have no cure for any of them.

We've had HIV (another virus obviously) for nearly 60 years and spent half a trillion dollars on it. No vaccine. 

I know we have to be positive but given those two medical outlooks why would this be over in time for the football season?

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd guess the season is very much a 50-50 shot right now.    At best.

And if somehow they manage to have the season,  I'd also guess it stands a good chance of being in empty stadiums.

Well like I said the govs that are opening states already said they want fans in the stands in about six weeks. So it’s all going to be up to CA and NY. The four phase plan in Indiana is by July 4th.

Thanks for the info @EastStreet but this thread has gone of the rails

The 2020 season will depend on multiple things the we can’t or don’t know yet for example it could be the end of July/ early August for the Colts to be able to workout in Marion County and the Bears in Chicago might be the same or longer in some of the other NFL cities/states

I am in hope for the best prepare for worst when it comes to this upcoming season. 

I will say if there is a season I expect a very different look with no or small crowds and more coaches up in the box . 

2 minutes ago, B~Town said:

I am in hope for the best prepare for worst when it comes to this upcoming season. 

I will say if there is a season I expect a very different look with no or small crowds and more coaches up in the box . 

There could be a segregation of units on the sidelines 

Not everything centers around choosing a side folks..... I come here to get away from a society that can't disagree without being disagreeable.

A house divided against itself can not stand- Abraham Lincoln

Let's don't wait for a moderator to "oversee" us guys. Let's stick to the topic. I can't wait to see this team play in 2020. I think we can have a real competitive team and I like that the season may start on time.

Please let's stay away from the political talk.  :colts:

there will be a season.  they might delay it, have no fans and reduce it but i would be money on them playing nfl football.  they have already made announcements about this

we may not be completely safe from this virus for years,  if we want herd immunity then distancing is only delaying that.

some studies have shown that catching the virus may not even grant immunity.  if thats true then we will all probably end up catching it unless you dont leave the house for years.  a vaccine may not grant long term immunity either 

1 minute ago, life long said:

Take this stuff to the Coronavirus thread in the miscellaneous section.... That said, they better have a season on time and unaltered or there will be a 1 man riot in my neighborhood!

Not sure when the season will start but feel their will be some of alterations 

I think that the next 3-4 weeks are going to be critical to the NFL and many things in the country.

With the easing of the shelter in place and social distancing if there is a sharp spike in infections, hospitalizations, and death...

it's going to set all this "opening" way back... if not let's get back to normal and let the games begin.

Personally being old (72) and caretaker for two disabled family members, I'm going to continue to hunker down 'till I see a significant positive trend in the statistics.

BLESS YOU ALL, BE SAFE!

25 minutes ago, jmac_48 said:

I think that the next 3-4 weeks are going to be critical to the NFL and many things in the country.

With the easing of the shelter in place and social distancing if there is a sharp spike in infections, hospitalizations, and death...

it's going to set all this "opening" way back... if not let's get back to normal and let the games begin.

Personally being old (72) and caretaker for two disabled family members, I'm going to continue to hunker down 'till I see a significant positive trend in the statistics.

BLESS YOU ALL, BE SAFE!

Stay safe

I personally know people who have been hit hard by this disease. Some were in the hospital for over 3 weeks... Some lost their lives. And a good portion of them were healthy and not that old. 

This disease is real. I can’t fathom why some aren’t taking this more serious. The reason we are doing the things we are doing is because this is an unknown virus. We barely know much about it still. It could end up being less lethal than the flu, and if that’s the case it’s great news. But we don’t know yet. 

It’s not about fear mongering. It’s about listening to science and facts. I’m listening to the doctors and nurses. Not the politicians on either side of the coin. 

I think the NFL is trying to go ahead with the season. I believe it will happen in some form. The simplest way to put this whole arguement; nobody knows. Things could open back up and the population could get hammered,  or the virus could peter out. Good luck with opening back up. 

Im up in Canada, we're planning a slow staged return to business as usual.  If at any point the healthcare system gets overwhelmed we will go back a stage. 

Let's do this together.  Left and right mean nothing when it comes to the health of you and your loved ones. Support each other and listen more than you talk. 

The future of the season depends a lot on the state and local jurisdictions    
     At the earliest it will at least be early July to August for many of the Midwestern teams and Upper South teams can start team activities on their home sites and could be even longer in other areas

I really hope NFL season is a go but feel there will be some form of modification just because of the location of the teams

As it appears there are only about 1/3(or less When you figure in local orders) of the teams that can began in person activities by June

I've removed some back and forth about the virus. We already have two corona virus threads in the misc section.

For now, leaving this thread open because 2020 season is a valid topic

Moving it to NFL section because it's not just about the Colts

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

I've removed some back and forth about the virus. We already have two corona virus threads in the misc section.

For now, leaving this thread open because 2020 season is a valid topic

Moving it to NFL section because it's not just about the Colts

:dunno:

I'd be surprised if there is a full season.   

I'm more excited about this Colts team than I have been about any team in several years.   I just hope we get to see them in action.   

No fans in the seats doesn't bother me.  Means I just won't go to my 1 game this year.  

Will the preseason games be eliminated first?

Archived